Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - (fire) fall into the deep end

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Isolt

There is a whisper of flowers in my lungs. I can feel them falling into my blood like oxygen, can feel them being carried to the deepest parts of me. And I know, I know that they will rot before they ever get there.

I do not know why that makes me sad.

In the gloaming darkness between the fires, the night feels like a fractured thing around her, like a bone half-alive tossed into the flames. As Isolt turns into the darkness she can hear it breaking, can see the cracks of it deepening.

The horses with their eyes like moons tell her it means something, as they press around her. And she wonders how they can bare it, this mockery of thin veils and overlapping worlds, the sacrifice of one thing to another for a false religion. And still she stands there as a young-god before them, when they wrap her in incense and roll their rosemary and their eggs in patterns down her skin.

”For cleansing,” they whispered to her. Isolt had not asked for their names, or for the meaning of the ritual they had offered to her like priests offering praises to their god. She had only watched them with her weighted gaze like a wolf might watch the owl gliding just out of reach in the trees.

But her skin had trembled when they made the first pass around her throat, like something in her was cringing away.

She did not tell them it was useless, trying to purify a monster. She made no effort to let them see how it would not work (it would never work, not for a thing made in magic and violence. They could not take apart the two things integral to her soul.) But still she watches them with her eyes like rubies lit up by the flames. And there is a part of her, below the trembling monster in her skin, that is taking the hope fluttering in her lungs between its teeth.

They dance in circles around her, the moon-eyed horses, weaving patterns in smoke and in the egg pressed to her skin that they say will protect her from the darkness she sees. They offer prayers to their god (the wrong god, she thinks) that the egg will take up whatever darkness they think they see trapped in her skin (which she knows is not trapped there, but is the very thing that holds her together.) Still she watches them make pass after pass after pass, and feels that monster in her skin trembling, and the smoke turning acidic in her lungs, and her blood beginning to boil like a demon they did not mean to awaken but oh, they are.

It is a dangerous thing, for them to stand so close to her as the wave of rot rises higher and higher in the ocean of her body. She wonders how they do not see the way her horn turns hungry, how they do not understand the violence of her tail lashing against her own legs. And when they lead her to the bowl of water and break the egg into it, when they smile and tell her ”go in peace now,” she wonders how they could be so foolish to believe it a good thing, their ritual that did not work.

She does not smile at them. She does not hear their whispers, or step away so that the next might be “cleansed”.

She only leans closer to the bowl of water, and stares, and stares, and stares —

@lucinda
"wilting // blooming"

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Lucinda

don't forget the violence

L
ucinda will never understand the customs of the Courts. No matter how many times she visits and tries to participate just to see, it all feels like a lie. They worship their gods, yet they don't realize that those so-called gods don't actually give a shit. Until they might walk among them in the flesh, there is nothing there besides what the imagination can conjure. For Lucinda, if her magic was strong enough, she could conjure an image of their god and walk among them. It would be hilarious to see the looks on their faces.

A part of her has considered joining them to live among them and learn their secrets, but that would require a lot more work than it might be worth. For now, she will travel between lands and keep her freedom. The only one she answers to is herself.

Before she even arrived in Delumine, the herbal smoke filled her lungs. It intrigued her the way they threw the herbs and powder into the fire and watched the spectacle in the flames. Lucinda could do that herself without much more than a blink of her eye, so she does not join them. The Shed Stars beckon her for a reading, but she simply rolls her eyes.

Then there is a ritual they call cleansing and it takes everything in her not to laugh. Some horses are taking it seriously as incense smoke and eggs are rolled all over their body. A woman comes over ready to perform the ritual on Lucinda, but before she can touch her, she snaps her teeth at the air between them. "Touch me, and next time I won't miss," she snarls, green eyes glowing like the flames that surround them. The woman nods somberly and moves on to try it on someone else.

Her gaze falls on a unicorn staring down at the bowl where they've cracked the egg. Lucinda heard whispers that the way it cracked would determine if the ritual had cleansed you or not. They would need a lot more than an egg to "cleanse" the kelpie.

"I don't understand it either," she says as she joins the mare's side. Her wings are tucked by her side and she misses the feeling of fins and scales beneath the sea. Abraxia is not with her this time, preferring to spend the night hunting in the woods.

"They waste their time," she adds, her eyes hinting to something darker and she wonders if this unicorn might feel it too.

{ @Isolt "speaks" notes: text }
« r ; art »