Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - seashells by the sea shore [summer]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Maeve

It's a new world, it's a new start
It's alive with the beating of young hearts

Things have been very different lately and I'm not sure how I feel about it. At first, it was me getting my powers (not only that but it was while I was nearly eaten by a monster), then Momma became Sovereign and then Auntie Antiope left. It's a lot for me to process and I'm still really confused.

I don't think things will change too much. Momma is a lot busier now, but she still makes time for our cuddles and storytime by the fire. Bram seems to spend more time with me lately and I know it's because Momma's worried for me. She can tell I've seemed down, but how can I tell her? She would either get overly protective or overly obsessed with the idea that I inherited her magic. I know she'd want to train me and I'm not sure if I want her to. Maybe it would help me figure things out, but she can be too rough sometimes. I don't blame her really, she comes from a soldier background, but I'm no soldier. I'm just… Maeve. I don't really know what I am, but I know at the least I don't want to be someone who can control fire.

I remember my talk with Uncle Tenny (Shadow Man) and it helped a little. Honestly though, I still want to find some way to take the magic back or give it to someone else. I've never really talked to Caligo before, but I know Shadow Man talks to her all the time. I guess I could try and see what happens?

At least for today, I want to try not thinking about it. The Court is hosting a beach party and there's a lot of fun things going on. There's horses playing some kind of game where they hit each other with beach balls, others are collecting shells or making sand castles on the beach. I don't really care much about the game, so I trot over to the beach.

As I watch some make sand castles, it reminds me of me and Aspara's snow animals (or blobs would be more accurate). I frown a little since I'm not sure where my friend is now, but maybe I'll find her later and see if she wants to try again. I think sand might be a little easier to mold together than snow.

I pick up one of the baskets placed in rows on the beach and start looking around for anything that catches my eye. Rory flies above me, but low enough that he's closer to me. He looks with me and already points out the prettiest piece of purple sea glass. I'm thankful for his bird vision here. I'm hoping I can find enough materials to make a pretty necklace for Momma.

As I place it in my basket, I also notice a couple sea shells. One has a spiral pattern to it and the other is an oval, but more flat. I decide to put them both in my basket just for fun. "I wonder why sea shells come in different shapes and sizes," I say to Rory, although I'm mostly thinking out loud. I know they have to come from the ocean, but where exactly? Were they once creatures or belonged to creatures and now they belong here on the shore? I find myself having many questions.
« r ; art » | @Ambrose I was really original with this title lmao

Played by Offline Katherine [PM] Posts: 9 — Threads: 2
Signos: 270
Day Court Youth
Male [He/Him/His]  |  Immortal [Year 506 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 12 — Atk: 8 — Exp: 16  |    Active Magic: Literary Animation & N/A  |    Bonded: Dandelion (Sky Lion)

I will find my way, I can go the distance
I'll be there someday, if I can be strong

A
nother season, another festival that Diana has insisted on exploring. This one is in Denocte, where I have never been before (though, if I remember correctly, they had helped hold the one in Delumine where I had gotten lost. Perhaps they simply enjoy throwing parties, Denoctians). I’d much rather be in their library—somewhere quiet, where I can sit with a good book and learn something new.

Instead I find myself on their beaches, alone. Diana has wandered off, probably to do something exciting, or dangerous (or both). I’m not really interested in looking for seashells, but it is the quietest event I could find among the ones being offered. Equines carefully scouring through the sands for their special treasures. I don’t blame them for wanting to do it, it just seems… childish.

The irony.

I’m making my way up the shore, closer to where the sand castle are being built—something you cannot do back home, with the dry Solterran sand—when I hear the girl talking aloud about where the shells come from. Or rather why they are different, I suppose.

I realize she is not talking to me exactly, but it’s as though the chance to share random knowledge is something neither my brain nor my mouth can pass up. I pause and look over her shoulder at the few sells she has collected, and clear my throat self-consciously. “The shape depends on what type of mollusk used to live inside it,” my voice is quiet, but certain.

“Uh,” I quickly back out of the conversation, my double pair of wings pressing taut to my sides as if they could simply hide me with their absurd amount of feathers. “Sorry for bothering you, though, I’m not here to look I just heard you talking is all and…” I’m not really sure what I’ve gotten myself into.

{ @Maeve "speaks" notes:  }
« r »

[Image: 27092483_OXKc9V3WJVpPTMw.png]
we start with stars in our eyes
we start believing that we belong