Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - plant flowers in your scars [summer]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Maeve

M A E V E

- ✦ -

I
am running. But really, I'm pretending I'm flying.

The full moon is above us, the light shining down and bathing everything in its ethereal light. I bask in it and it makes me feel more alive. Rory isn't normally up this late, but he flies nearly in line with me. His wings are my wings as we both soar forward. I can see many heads turning in the corner of my eye as we race the beach, kicking up sand and water as I go. I guess it might look strange for a girl and a hawk to be running together, but I don't care.

This is the first time in a while that I feel free. I don't really know how to explain it, but I just do. For once, the trauma of the island doesn't plague my thoughts and there are no embers sparking at my feet. I feel like who I was before all of this, who I feel I should be. The bonfires lining the beach seem to fly with me, although I still keep a safe distance. I don't feel that afraid though.

I am running and I close my eyes. I let the water spray my face and it cools my skin. I can hear Rory make a disgruntled sound as some of the water hits him too, but I just giggle at him.

I am running until something gets under my hoof and then I'm falling and sliding. I snap my eyes open just as something sharp slices through my heels with my awkward landing. Before anyone might notice my fall, I quickly get up, wincing from the pain in my legs.

Rory stops and hovers over me, looking at me with concern in his eyes. "I'm okay… I think," I mutter softly, feeling foolish. I can feel pain in my chest as the mark the island monster left stings a little too.

I notice the bonfires flickering differently now. I don't know how to explain it, but it's almost as if the flames are now pointing towards me, beckoning me closer. They appear softer and less menacing as usual too. I feel scared, but something tells me I should go forward anyway even if it's very slowly.

So I do and Rory watches from a nearby post. With each step, I expect to feel the heat of the fire wanting to singe my skin, but it doesn't. Instead, I start to feel the stinging in my chest ebb away. When I'm close enough to the fire that it should be hurting me, I look down and notice that mark on my chest is gone. I have to blink a few times to see that it's truly gone.

Without really understanding what's happening, I lift the leg I scraped up and watch as the scrapes disappear. The pain does too and I'm left with more questions than answers.

I'm thankful that it's Elena who's come to my side then, although now I guess I don't need any help after my fall. If it had been Momma, I'm not sure what I would've said.

"Elena… d-do you know what's happening to me?" I ask her, even if she doesn't have a clue.

§

she listens to wind secrets
and echoes of distant star songs

« r ; art » | @Elena

Played by Offline Sam [PM] Posts: 306 — Threads: 50
Signos: 900
Inactive Character

elena

« ♡ »

happiness is a butterfly, we should catch it while dancing
T
here were fleeting moments, a short memory or a smell (especially in the height of summer) that would call her back to a glistening lake in an ancient valley, filled with graceful willows and ancient oaks.

Most days she is fine. But then there will be the smell of lavender along water that reaches her and suddenly she is that little orphaned child that goes to the river because no one there can hear her crying. That little orphaned girl who looks through things with glassy eyes instead of at them as she should. And then she will see a tulip, and she is that same orphan girl who found another little girl and they conquered their fears and grew up to love them instead.

It is here, in Night Court, as the evening settles and the moon arches up into the sky, that she can almost recall those memories of walking with Lovelace under starry nights and holding deep conversations about who she wanted to be and what she wanted to do. Lovelace told her that there were no limits, not even the stars were an ending point.

There is a fire that leaps down her spine. Morrighan? No, she can feel the confusion associated with it. Her blue eyes widen with realization: Maeve. She finds her easily enough as she picks her way through the festivities, follows her emotions and her power like it was a trail lain bare. Elena feels the concern in her, the confusion, maybe fear lingering in the back of her mind and it takes all Elena has, all the mother that lives inside her not to just scoop her up and tell her everything was fine, it was okay. But Maeve would need to learn, and Elena would be her gentle, guiding hand, if she wanted her to be. “I think it is about time we went for a walk,” she says with a smile. “Don’t you think?” Elena says and motions her head for Maeve to follow.

They walk in silence for a moment before Elena angles her head in Maeve’s direction. “If you could be anything or anyone? What would you be?” The golden girl asks as they move.  Elena spies a sharp stone and reaches her leg up to it, draws it down and across, until blood peeks at the surface, curiously spilling over onto golden skin. It is a small cut, one that would heal in a few days and leave no scar “What do you want to do, Maeve?” Elena moves closer to her and touches her head head gently, just atop her ears. “Whatever you want to do,” she says into her hair before pulling away and wondering if this is how Lovelace felt when Elena became her apprentice. “You could heal me, I think, but only if you wanted.” Those little girls, they grew up to be brave, and strong, and bold and beautiful. She always thought she would like to help another little girl, grow up to be brace, and strong, and bold and beautiful.

@Maeve elena speaks
« r »

[Image: ddvotwe-59302ba6-6a81-47bf-9846-30c5a5db...0iFb4PvyXE]

let's light this house on fire
we'll dance in the warmth of its blaze
pixel made by the amazing star

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Maeve

M A E V E

- ✦ -

P
art of me is relieved that Elena wanted to walk away, but as we go, there is a pull I've never felt before. It's as if the fire is saying "wait don't go, come back" and for once, I'm not afraid but guilty.

There is a moment of silence between us and I'm not really sure what to say. What just happened is too confusing and not just the fact that I even have fire magic. I'm also not sure if this means Elena might have to tell Momma? Adults sometimes can't keep secrets, so I hope this isn't one of those times. I would rather be the one to tell her, but I want to put it off a little while longer.

When Elena asks me the question, I stop and just blink. My mind feels blank- what would I be? I don't really know. I look up to Momma, but I wouldn't want to be just like her. Maybe a different (kinder) version of her. Of course, there is my other Momma but she abandoned me, so I wouldn't want to be like that to someone either. I'm too loyal to my family and the Court to ever leave like that. My mind drifts to the last time Elena and I were together in the mountains. When I first met Rory…

She's cut herself then and I start to feel that same panic I felt back then too. It's not a bad wound, but I still see blood. Her touch is comforting a little, but I almost feel frozen. We're on the beach and not near any real resources that could help in this moment.

Of course, I want to heal her, it seems silly for me not to. Anyone who has a cold heart might say otherwise, but not me. The problem is, I don't know how and don't have anything to. It makes me start crying. "I want to help but I… I don't…" I start to say before the bonfire near us catches my attention. I feel that same pull I did before, only stronger now. It healed my scrape, does that mean it could heal Elena too? It seems to be the only thing I can do, so I slowly step towards it.

But nothing happens.

I think about how I want the fire to heal Elena the same way it healed me, but there isn't that same feeling. In fact, it almost seems to retract away from me. Does it only want to work with me when it wants to? Can it be that smart?

"I-I'm sorry. I guess I can't heal you that way," I say, feeling defeated. "Does it hurt? We could try finding something in the city maybe?" I want to be able to heal her myself, but I'm just not good enough. We would probably have to find someone else who could.

Maybe someday I could be a healer, but it'll be a long time from now.

§

she listens to wind secrets
and echoes of distant star songs

« r ; art » | @Elena