Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - higher and higher thank the lord

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline lackadaisy [PM] Posts: 105 — Threads: 19
Signos: 0
Inactive Character

the road less traveled

As a rule, Willoughby did not fly near mountains. Her wings, though vast in span, chittered too easily in the frost. They took in ice faster than she was experienced using them. This was why she did not, and the only sensible thing she'd be mindful of not doing. It did, however, not stop her from flapping them like a giant rooster.

Walking about the base of the mountain, she stretched her multi-colored wings. Beating against the cool air, she did a little prance just the once before moving on. Unaware if another spied on her, she kept her eyes shut and a tune on her lips. It was akin to a hop and a skip, fluttering and boasting indirectly. She was proud of her looks, yes, but she never said such a thing.

Never to another person. That would be rude. Denocte was fairly unknown to her, so she sought to roam around the mountains and map them mentally. Maybe if she found something shiny, she could exchange the location to a treasure hunter. Then she'd get some signos for her trouble. Then she'd be one step closer to her new instrument. But -

For now? The bard merely wandered.

@Azrael / speaks

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Azrael

maybe the stars are blind…

The shed-star was lost in his thoughts.  He’d gone to the mountains, letting the peace of the crisp and cool air wash over him.  The day was bright, far brighter than he was accustomed to, dulling his glow into a mere softness which haloed around him instead of the true light that he cast in the darkness.  Along his side, a tall onyx staff which branched into a dreamcatcher clattered, stardust streaming from it with every step.  On his shoulder, Noctua slept with her head tucked into her wing, cooing softly from time to time as if lost in a dream… and the sound made Azrael smile.

He settled into the shadows of trees, lowering himself to the ground as he rested along the cool ground and let his thoughts settle.  So much had happened recently, and his mind was still reeling, trying to catch up.  As he stared to the world below, the stallion thought of Morrighan and Maeve, wondering for the thousandth time what could have befallen them.  Did the magic from the island somehow taint their blood?  He remembered that Morrighan had been suffering from quite a wound, and he’d done his best to help, but Azrael knew that she needed the treatment from a more skilled healer than he.  Perhaps if he had found her sooner, and gotten her the help she needed, she would be here beside him.

Maeve too… he squeezed his eyes closed, not wanting to believe that something like disease had killed the girl.  She had been too bright and vibrant, with the whole world ahead of her.  It just wasn’t fair – he mused – to snuff out such a light when her life was just beginning.  Nothing made sense of any of this… and as he wondered, a silver tear slid silently down his cheek, landing on the rocky ground with little fanfare as he let himself feel a heavy sense of grief at all that Denocte had lost.

For some time, he stays in his own thoughts, even as his turquoise gaze scoured the land below them.  He saw horses in the distance, too far to identify their names, and wondered if they simply went about their business or if they were grieving too… but then he saw something else, something… brighter?

Curiosity draws him forward, as he follows the flutter of wings to find Willoughby humming as she explored the mountains.   “Hello?”  He questions her with a gentleness to his voice, grateful for the distraction as he comes closer.   “Are you looking for something?”

"Speaking." | Noctua speaks/telepathic

@Willoughby

Inactive Character

Unknown to her, the man was grateful for the distraction that was Willoughby. And herself? Willoughby was grateful for speaking to another being. She turns with a warm smile in his direction, her eyes closing briefly as was her way whenever she did beam at another. “Hello!”

It was simple at first, her response. She mulls over what the man says briefly. Weren't they all looking for something in the end? She did not say this though. Her eyes would open as the maiden tilts her head. “Not particularly, no” she says to him, shaking her head.

“It is my first time visiting these mountains though” she smiles “I wonder if there is anything to find here that hasn't been found already.”

“speech”

if you don't want to see me dancing with somebody new

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Azrael

maybe the stars are blind…

There is an easiness to Willoughby which pushes away the grief, if momentarily.  She smiles, and her hello is a welcome relief to the sadness which had gripped him only moments before.  Now, it is curiosity which presses him toward her, as he wonders why she came.  If she wasn’t looking for something, she was likely just exploring… he understood the sentiment, for Azrael had a restlessness to him as well.  He often wanted to walk to the mountains to clear his mind.  There was just something about the stillness at night upon the peaks, when the stars were close enough to touch and the world was dark with shadows, which called to his restless soul.

“There is always something to find… depending on what you are looking for.”  His words are quizzical, but honest – for Azrael saw something new almost every time he came to the mountains.  There might be a new path, recently cleared by an explorer who went before him.  Or perhaps there were new creatures, watching from the shadows, wondering who intruded on their world.  Or, most interesting of all, perhaps there is a stranger, exploring as curiously as he.

“I am Azrael,” he offers, “Champion of Wisdom for Denocte.”  Though these days, he felt anything but wise.  “Where have you come from?”

"Speaking." | Noctua speaks/telepathic

@Willoughby

Inactive Character

“I would love to find some treasure”

she beams at the man, unaware of his affiliation with the world of Novus until he told her. Willoughby was not looking for riches, oh no. She lived a modest little life of a hermit. Pretty gold and silver did nothing for her. “maybe some ancient texts, anything to contribute to the history and culture of Novus.”

She pauses, giggling to herself mostly. “But everyone wants to find treasure, I suppose” if it was not riches, it was fame attached to it. She was a simple beast. “I just have a dream of finding old songs and stories nobody's heard for many years...” the maiden goes on, her pale eyes flickering from the man to the mountains. Then back just as quick.

He introduces himself. It has her undivided attention. Her head slips politely, giving him a brief bow. “My name is Willoughby” she gives Azrael “I, well, I came from outside of Novus. I don't really live here formally. I don't have a Court to call home.” But she did not look sad about it.

“Pardon me asking, but what is a Champion?” Willoughby hopes the query isn't rude.

if you don't want to see me dancing with somebody new