Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - and i'm just a dead man walking tonight

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 25 — Threads: 3
Signos: 275
Inactive Character

Meandering the isles of the markets had always been a favorite past time of his, ever since he was a very young colt. He had such fond memories of sipping hot cocoa and eating peppermint sticks. He could even recall several wonderful conversations that he had in passing with several other members of Denocte. But tonight, he comes here alone and bored, unsure of exactly what he wants to do. He has no reason to be shopping and it’s far too warm for hot cocoa. And so, he wanders.

He pauses at one of the leather working stalls, sharing idle conversation with the owner about the weather. He asks how his mother is doing and truthfully, he isn’t sure what to say. She had been gone for so long and when she did come back, she was beaten and bruised. She looked like a shell of the woman who had left him so many months ago. But he doesn’t tell the shop keeper that, he’s not sure if it’s his place. So instead, he kindly answers that she is doing well and apologizes because he needs to get going…anything to save him from an uncomfortable conversation.

He continues onward, browsing at the different venders and sampling some of the homemade cheeses. Eventually he stops in front of one of the candle stalls – his favorite! He samples several items before finally deciding on a candied apple, a peppermint stick, and these little fizzy candies that pop on his tongue.

Finding him a quiet place to stand, he opened the bag of fizzy candy and dumps it on his tongue. The candy fizzes and pops, making the most interesting sound and sensation that causes a shiver. He can hear someone approaching, so he chuckles as he speaks. “Have you ever had these before?” He speaks as he is tunning, unsure if he has met the person or not. Kibou has never been a shy colt and the monkey who sits quietly on his back only shakes her head at his forwardness.

@Cicatrix

Played by Offline Kaiju [PM] Posts: 33 — Threads: 10
Signos: 5
Inactive Character

LET ME SHOW YOU
what you've been missing

The night markets are busy, a place of bustling commerce even during the twilight hours that Cicatrix likes to roam during. The daylight is too bright, shining on them and creating a beacon of them at times that many eyes turn toward. Dusk and night are times where they like to settle and reveal themselves, if only because it means less staring, less words whispered about them all around them as if they cannot hear them. The twilight hours reveal many equines roaming between the stalls, and while Cicatrix attempts to keep themselves small . . . it's impossibly hard to hide an ethereal frame as tall as theirs, standing high above the rest without ever meaning it.

There are many that stop and stare as Cicatrix attempts to keep their head down low, curiously pausing at one stall, and then the next. From leather to edible goods to even beautiful jewelry, Cica is entirely entranced by them all. Namely by the glittering jewels that rest in pendants, hanging from delicate chains and shimmering in a way that echoes the stars above. Perhaps some day, they may purchase one, and they glance upward, seeing the nervous look of the merchant, before gingerly shying away with a soft apology. It startles the merchant to hear such a soft tone, stammering over apologies to Cica, but by then, they already have drawn away with a soft flick of their long tail, holding it enough that the hair drags along the ground just barely.

So they walk among the denizens, shyly attempting to not bump into others, and that's when they manage to come across a small colt. Cicatrix lifts their head a little, the cloak falling more over their features as the golden light of their halo encompasses both them and the colt in front of them. They mean to circle around them and apologize and be on their way, but it's shocking to hear someone speaking to them. A staggered breath is taken, and a soft laugh as they see the candies that the young one is eating. "No. Are they good? I haven't had sweets in a very long time." As Cicatrix speaks, their gilded teeth shimmer, and the smallest trickle of blue seeps between them, dripping downward and leaving a tiny shimmering puddle near their golden hooves.

@Kibou

Inactive Character

Kibou is still enjoying his fizzy candy, loving the sound of the popping that occurs. It tickles his tongue and he cannot help but chuckle at the sensation. No matter how many times he’s had packets and packets of this particular candy, he still enjoys the sensations they bring as if it is his first taste. Kibou has tried every flavor (green apple, cherry, strawberry, grape, and orange among some of them) but this time, the flavor was new. He had grabbed blue raspberry and he was quickly finding that it was one of his favorites.

As he hears someone coming from behind, he calls out to him/her (for Kibou doesn’t know about pronouns, gender identities, sexual orientations, or even political correctness), asking if he or she has ever tried this particular candy. When the individual answers him, he slowly turns so he can rest eyes on whoever he is speaking to.

However, Kibou is not prepared for the appearance of the individual. He quite obviously jumps at the sight, but he tries to offer an apologetic smile. He’s not quite sure what he prepared for, but as his eyes rested on someone taller than even his 18hh mother, it startled him. Only when he was really looking at the individual did he realize just how plain he really was in comparison. Eyes continued to scan over the body of the individual in front of him and it was then that he realized the individual had no eyes or ears. Jaw dropped open when blue, glittery, liquid fell from opened lips. Poor Kibou did not mean to stare, but he couldn’t help it. He or she simply looked so much different than he did.

It took him several long minutes to realize that A. he was staring and B. He was being rude but when he finally realized all of this, he gasped. “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to stare…you just look so different.” He offered a smile, his tone innocent and sweet as evidence by his gangly youth body. He stood there quite awkwardly before he figured he should just answer the question. “They are very good. This flavor is my new favorite.” Realizing that he probably need to do something to correct his obvious rudeness, he offered her the open packet of candies. “Do you want to try some?” The real issue here was that the stranger had never tried these fizzy candies. That was something that clearly needed to be corrected.

@Cicatrix - so sorry for his innocence.

Inactive Character

LET ME SHOW YOU
what you've been missing

They are used to strange stares and wide eyes, even more so to shocked gasps and uncertain side-glances, as if they could attack at any given moment. This is what they expect when the young colt turns towards them: oftentimes the younger ones had more exaggerated reactions that were true to their feelings. Never had anyone younger really hidden anything around them . . . they had once even seen a small foal cry out of fear. While it wrenches their heart, they consistently attempt to reach out towards new beings and greet them as happily as ever.

So it isn't a shock to see the young colt quite literally jump, and there's a smile somewhere deep down, sad but also somewhat amused. This one is not screaming at seeing them, so Cicatrix can count it as a win at the moment. So soft laughter bubbles up and out from them, an amused tilt of the head given and seeming almost entirely alien compared to how one would act with a face. "It's alright. I'm used to being stared at ... but at least you have not screamed in fear at me." They can certainly enjoy it for the moment. "I'm Cicatrix, by the way. Just so you have a name to call me by, and so I'm not so.. scary, seeming."

Ears swivel under the cloak atop their head, and they tilt it the other way instead, as if staring curiously at the candies that the young male had. "I might have a few, if that's okay." Sugars and candies and even pastries are something Cicatrix has never really had before, so they take the packet with a grip of telekinesis, opening their mouth and dumping a few of the rock candies on their tongue. Gently closing their jaw, they pass the little packet back to the young colt, making a surprised sound as the sugar melts over their tongue and the candy begins to fizz and crackle.

It makes them lift their head up a little, feathers puffing out on their wings in surprise before they laugh softly. "These are good! And so.. strange. Fizzy... I've never had anything fizzy." It tasted like the electric sensation in the air during a thunderstorm, if that could be a good way to describe it.

@Kibou

Inactive Character

Kibou has seen a lot of things in his life, a lot of things that he can’t always explain or put his hoof on. That was the funny thing about worlds where magic runs rampant. Everything was never as it seemed. Horses came in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Magic that flowed through their veins knew no limit. There was always something new and different to learn. Kibou’s upbringing was much like this. His exposure to so many different things only helped him to grow into a more well-rounded colt. Soon, he would be old enough to make his own decisions and walk down the path he believed was chosen for him.

So naturally, when the individual states rather matter-of-factly that they are used to being stared at, it makes Kibou sad. No one should ever be stared at, no matter different they look. While he couldn’t always control his initial reaction, it’s how he dealt with it that made a difference. “I don’t fear you…” His voice is soft as he chews at the fizzy candies that have since stopped fixing. “It’s just…you look different. I’m very plain. I like to see differences in people – I find all the uniqueness fascinating.” Poor Kibou had always been fascinated with those who were unique and different. Perhaps he should work on his staring. He knew it was rude, but he really didn’t mean anything by it. After all, he was just studying everyone else, learning. Wasn’t he supposed to learn?

He’s given the stranger’s name and he vows to lock it away so he could remember it the next time they run into one another. Cicatrix. It was an interesting name, he very much liked it. So many here in Novus had unique names and he vowed to learn them all at some point.

Kibou offered Cicatrix some of his fizzy candy, a gesture that he hoped might make up for his rather rude welcoming. At the acceptance of his offer, Kibou allows the package of fizzy candy to float between them. He watches with interest and curiosity as Cicatrix finally tastes the candy, taking back the package and pouring the last bit of the candies on his tongue. His spine shivers at the sudden onslaught of popping and he cannot help but smile.

As his friend begins to tell of their account of the first taste of the fizzy candy, Kibou can only watch with a smile. “I love them! My mom says they put a pep in my step, whatever that means.” Kibou, the poor soul, just likes anything that fizzes, pops, or tingles. Anything that adds additional sensation to his feasting was alright by him.

As the last of the fizzy candy seems to fade, Kibou swallows what is in his mouth before he looks up at his new friend. “Have you been in Denocte long?” Kibou can’t recall seeing Cicatrix around, but that didn’t really mean much of anything. After all, the life of a colt is generally filled with exploring and getting into trouble.

@Cicatrix

Inactive Character

LET ME SHOW YOU
what you've been missing

He doesn't fear them? That at least brings a soft beacon of hope in their breast, a warming of thoughts as their ears flick underneath of their cloak. "A lot of others would say I was scary, but that's okay. I'm just happy at least to someone I am not as scary." The smile is warm in their voice, a lilt of tone that echoes their happiness. Too long ago, they had learned to express themselves in their tone since they could not with their face, and now even their tail wiggles a little behind them, curling around one long leg and resting there. "I don't think you're plain. Just because you have no wings or other things, you're still you." The chuckle is soft that slips out after.

Now they focus on the candy on their tongue, fizzing and even popping against the delicate muscle, causing their head to lift a little higher, straight up to their massive height, enabling them to look that much larger without meaning to. So strange but the flavor! The sugar! It's so delicate and sweet and there's a contented sigh from that nose of theirs. They cannot help but laugh a little at the words 'pep in my step', head tilting a little as they regard the young colt. "It means they make you happy!"

Slowly, they swallow, and the taste lingers though the fizzing and tingling sensation fades easily. What a strange new thing to have brought to them, to discover! Perhaps there are more flavors out there, and Cica will need to find them all if they can. Certainly the Denocte markets have them, if they have this flavor already.

Carefully, they jar out of their thoughts, tipping their head a little to one side as they regard the question, before shaking it a little. "Not at all. This place is all so new to me, but I already love it. It feels like ... home. Warm and safe." Despite glances cast their way sometimes, they've found that Denocte is extremely welcoming and they're ever curious to learn more. After all, it's why they're a scholar at heart, eager to discover and share knowledge with those willing to learn it.

"Do you live here in Denocte?" They've found a few natives to Novus already, but it's always good to have more than one as a familiar face, no matter their age.

@Kibou

Inactive Character

Kibou finds it hard to believe that other people find Cicatrix scary. Sure, their look is a bit different and strange, but Kibou definitely wouldn’t classify them as scary. After all, the voice that came from between their lips was soft and kind, not mean and degrading. “I’ve seen scary, and I promise you that you are not scary.” He offers them a smile, hopefully a way of showing that he really wasn’t scared.

When Cicatrix begins to explain to him that he’s not plain, he’s still himself, Kibou cannot help but look up at them with a strange smirk. He’s heard that before. “You sound like my mother. Though, she says I look like my dad.” He sighs. Sometimes, he wished he could have met his dad, to see how important he meant to his mother. But Katniss didn’t talk about Metaphor. At first, when Kibou started asking questions, he was given short, simple answers. It was always just enough to satisfy the question, but not enough to make him ask more.

The conversation naturally transitions to the fizzy candies and Cicatrix is kind enough to tell him that “pep in his step” means that the candies make him happy. He nods his head, knowing that they did make him happy. He loved the sensation on his tongue and jaw. It was always strange, but it was sort of addicting too. He supposed there were worse things he could get addicted to.

Curiosity always seemed to get the best of the little sorrel colt and he couldn’t help but ask if Cicatrix had been in Denocte long. After all, he didn’t remember seeing them around. While he was usually busy getting into mischief, he liked to think he recognized a face when he saw one. Cicatrix confirmed his suspicions when they said that they were pretty new. But, the thing that stood out was that they liked it here, that it felt warm and safe. Kibou nodded his head softly, knowing that feeling. While he liked to wander Novus from time to time, he always came back here. This was home.

When asked if he lived here in Denocte, Kibou nodded his head softly. “I was born here. My mother and I live just outside the city.” Ever since he was born, his mother and he, as well as their companions, had lived in the same hut just outside the city. His mother always said it was more peaceful out there and it allowed her more time to relax without the constant sounds of the city. Kibou, on the other hand, rather liked the sounds of the hustle and bustle. It meant that there was always something to do.

But the question about living here in Denocte made his heart ache for a moment. He knew that soon, he would be old enough to fly the nest and he would go to Terrastella. Kibou hadn’t the heart to tell his mother that he wanted to train to be a medic. He could only help that she might support him. “Next spring, I plan to move to Terrastella. I want to train to be a medic.” He smiled as he dwelled on the excitement surrounding a new path for himself. “My dad was a healer. I even have healing magic!” Even though he couldn’t control it very well, he still had it. Surely his dad had made sure Caligo gave him that gift. It was something that would always remind him about his father and it would do the same for his mother. It was bittersweet though. She might be upset that he was following in his father’s footsteps, but at the same time be proud. Emotions were something the colt was still learning and often times, they proved to be exhausting.

@Cicatrix

Inactive Character

LET ME SHOW YOU
what you've been missing

Cicatrix cannot fathom what the boy has seen that constitutes as scary when they know they are rather frightening to look at with first glance. "There are scarier things?" They blurt it without thought, ears falling under their cloak a moment and a sense of wonderment filling their voice. Was it even possible? Their mind rolls with the many things they've seen over their immortal years, but there's too many to count. Is it possible some of those creatures live here, in Novus?

What a terrifying thought, honestly.

"Everyone has their own opinion of themselves. Like I think I can be scary, you think you're plain. But I've not seen someone like you in a long time, so you're not so plain to me." The smile is obvious in their voice, and there's even a soft laugh that gently tumbles out from their throat.

It's nice to know though, that they've met someone that's been here a while. While they've met others, those others have left. Cicatrix has no idea where Azrael has gone to, and they long to simply stand with him and exchange their thoughts over the stars. To share their light with him as he did with them. A friend indeed, and one that has left too soon to a place they don't know where. "What is it like outside of Denocte? I've only ever been around here, all the lands in this area." They hadn't thought of exploring elsewhere, though they had seen a sea on the way in. Perhaps they could go there one day.

Curiosity flickers through them, a strange warmth that leaves them humming when Kibou admits where he wants to go. "The Dusk Court, right?" Perhaps it's time to read up on all the courts and their respective deities as well, learn more about Novus. Still, the soft chuckle leaves them, and they nod their head a little bit. "That's a noble pursuit... to help others when you have the power to. That's a nice path to follow." There's hope in this world afterall, it seems.

It just takes a little to see past the rest of the world, is all.

Their head tilts a little, glancing up and casting their golden glow as the halo moves with them, before they look back down. "Maybe one day, we will meet in Terrastella? I want to travel and learn about the courts too, and if you're there, I can see what you've been up to?" Though it's next spring . . . it's already summer, with the heat ever present. It's only a few seasons away.

Cicatrix takes in a breath, and their wings ruffle a little. "Or hopefully we can meet again before that? I have so much to learn, but I thank you Kibou, for being so nice to me. Maybe you can show me around the Markets?" Standing in place is drawing far too much attention for their liking.

@Kibou

Inactive Character

Novus was an interesting and wonderous place. It had deserts and mountains and swamps and burned down forests. Kibou, while not as well traveled as some, had seen a good bit of what Novus had to offer. He had always been so fascinated with the changing of the landscapes – so vastly different from one another. It puzzled him how such a small (in the grand scheme of the things) island could maintain such vastly different habitats. He supposed it was all due to the gods. How else can you have sweltering desert next to icy mountains?

Kibou thinks quietly for a moment about the question about what it’s like outside Denocte. Kibou doesn’t want to paint a terrible nor a perfect picture. “Dangerous…yet exciting!” There were so many things outside these boarders that wanted to kill him, and yet, he could not help the draw they had. “There’s a lot of different people too, none as interesting as the people here, though.” Kibou would always call Denocte home. Even if he was planning to leave for his training, he would always return. After all, his heart was nestled here in Denocte.

Cicatrix seems to approve of his plans to go to Terrastella and he can only hope his mother will be just as open and welcoming to the idea. He nods at the question before he elaborates. “I feel like helping people is the right thing to do, no matter what court they are from.” If Katniss had done anything right by her son, it would be the lesson she taught him about helping each other. They may be of different courts, but they were still all one people, all deserving of health and happiness.

When his new friend speaks of seeing him in Terrastella, he smiles. “I’d like that.” It was nice to know that someone believed in him, believed that he could be successful. It was nice and comforting. While he knew his mother would approve of his chosen path, he knew she would hate the distance it would bring them at first. At least maybe he could use Cicatrix as a way of convincing her that he would not truly be a lone the whole time.

Kibou doesn’t notice that they are drawing attention, he never does, but he does notice the way his companion seems to grow uncomfortable. He nods in understanding, knowing that their meeting is perhaps coming to a close. “I’d like that…to show you around the markets. I can show you the best vendors.” Kibou had spent a lot of his young life perusing the stalls of the markets. Most of the vendors knew him by name and many that he frequently knew what the cold wanted before he could even ask for it. “Perhaps tomorrow? A little earlier than tonight. I want to make sure I can show you everything before it gets too late.” Already the moon was rising high in the sky. He knew he had to get home before his mother began to worry. “Until next time.” He offers his new friend a soft smile before he begins to head through the crowd back towards the little hut he shared with his mother on the outskirts of town.

@Cicatrix – I figured this would be a good closer.