Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Just in Case

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Lullivy [PM] Posts: 225 — Threads: 37
Signos: 1,285
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/her/hers]  |  15 [Year 496 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 3 — Atk: 3 — Exp: 51  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Picoro (Sloth)

The stars are alive, child! Did you know that? Everything out there is alive, and there are grand purpose abroad!

She hadn't felt such a sense of purpose in many years, not since leading Crucis after the fire. It sent a thrill through her, to be pursuing something so important once again, to have a goal ahead to strive for, and she relished in it. She had forgotten that side of herself, the one that was quietly ambitious, the sliver of royal drive that had never left even though some weren't sure she had been born with it to begin with. The champion trials had awoken it once more.  

She had never been to the barracks before, where all the young soldiers slept, but she sought the champion of battle herself, and though there could be no better place to look for such a woman. She'd seen glimpses of the woman here and there, but they had never formally met. She had left Yara and Mithra behind, so they could go out and hunt for themselves. It was strange to walk through the soldiers, getting strange looks here and there. Whether it was because she looked like a skeletal ghost, or because it was a stranger she wasn't sure, but she assumed it was the former. 

From what Luvena could tell from listening around the courts there were no plans for medics if battle, or gods forbid war, were to break out with another court. No dispatch regulations, no procedures for who to treat first, nothing. That had to change if denocte were ever to have a fighting chance, especially as the smallest court in Novus. And she had seen Solterra now too, they were not kind, and she feared what would happen if one day they decided Denocte no longer deserved a place here. 

Finally she spotted the tall woman, a fighter if she had ever seen one. "Katniss" she called out softly. "If you have a moment, I'd like to steal some of your time to talk"

@Katniss

@Luvena

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 164 — Threads: 28
Signos: 385
Inactive Character

She had arisen before the sun, much like she had done every morning. She always started off her day with an apple dipped in honey or peanut butter while washing it down with a glass of caffeinated drink they called coffee. While she had never drank such a drink before coming to Novus, it was quickly becoming a staple to her morning diet. Her long days required energy, energy that the coffee was able to provide her.

So after her breakfast and her soft goodbyes to Kibou, she and Finnick set off on patrol. It was uneventful, as it is most mornings, but Katniss doesn’t complain in the least bit. It’s nice to not have to worry about battles and bloodshed, about who would be the next to die. It allowed her patrols to go by so much quicker and it allowed her to spend more time with her soldiers.

It was nearing noon when she made it back to the barracks, happy to see that her soldiers were awake, fed, and training. Meandering through the blocks of soldiers, she watched them idly as they practiced where to inflict the most damage. Katniss had a citizen trained in anatomy of the horse to come and help teach them the weak spots. They were doing well and training seemed to be going better than expected.

But it was her name, called out on the wind, that caught her attention. It wasn’t a voice she could recall hearing before. Curious, she turned to see the brown and black mare coming towards her. She politely excused herself, leaving the XO in charge while she went to see what the mare wanted. She recalled her name being Luvena, but she hadn’t met the mare formally.

Stepping closer to the mare, she could see that she was several hands taller than her with a vastly different body type. Where Katniss was tall and muscled, Luvena was shorter and rather frail looking. But where Katniss had scars that told stories on every inch of her body, Luvena’s hide seemed flawless. “Yes?” Her voice was soft as she looked down at the mare, her eyes searching hers. “What can I do for you?” If she remembered the ramblings of her son correctly, this mare was a medic. Kibou had always longed to be a medic so even if he hadn’t met them all yet, he knew each and every medic by name. She seemed to fit the description he had given. What would a medic possibly want with a soldier?

@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/her/hers]  |  15 [Year 496 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 3 — Atk: 3 — Exp: 51  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Picoro (Sloth)

The stars are alive, child! Did you know that? Everything out there is alive, and there are grand purpose abroad!

“Forgive me if I’m simply ignorant, and haven’t done enough searching” She paused to gather her thoughts, remember the lines she’d come with. “But it seems Denocte has no plan in case in the event of disasters. At least on how medics and soldiers are to collaborate for the best outcome. If war is to break out how we are best to help, or if natural disaster strikes” 

Luvena Xiaoli was no stranger to disasters, and the strife they brought. Herstial had no plans for disaster. They had made themselves a peaceful people, one who had given no big reason for war. They traded with a few neighboring towns, and nothing more. Their doctors were around for illness, and injury caused doing daily tasks, not for battle or war. They had no true soldiers, only palace and border guards. And when Obyana struck, they had been decimated. The kingdom structures stood not a chance, centuries of history destroyed. But the people… perhaps they would not have dispersed or died so immediately. Perhaps her parents would have lived. 

In Elysium, when dragon's fire had ravaged the woods, when sloane had taken her bonded to its branches, they had suffered the losses. Sure they came back from it, recovering stronger than before. But how many had been lost to do so? They hadn’t a plan in place, healers did not gather to help those with burns, and smoke inhalation, and they had lost many to their effects. Luvena had nearly joined that statistic herself, lying in the foothills of the Lunar Mountains, Where Cavalier had found her, and stayed with her until her lungs had cleared. And long afterwards, to bear one of her children. 

“I’ve seen what the lack of a plan does to a kingdom, a herd. It is not a pleasant sight, and not one I want my people to suffer again”  She looked to Katniss, her gaze harder than usual.

@Katniss

@Luvena

Inactive Character

Katniss watches the mare carefully, trying to figure out what she might want from her. She still thought that perhaps Kibou had spoken to her and she wished to train him in the arts of medicine. While she appreciated the desire to ask for permission, her son was growing up and he was old enough to start doing things on his own. Perhaps she was asking as a formality.

However, when she began to speak, Katniss realized just how wrong she was. Luvena was not here to discuss teaching her son about medicine. No. She was here to ask about battle plans, something Katniss should know a lot about. She nods her head as she listens quietly, knowing the mare has a point. In regimes before the current one, no one had cared or wanted to put any sort of plan in place. Over time and with experience, Katniss had realized the need was there. And so, she had drafted something to bring to Ira. Luvena couldn’t possibly no about this yet, so Katniss would go easy on her.

When she finishes, Katniss can see the passion in her eyes. She can see the way the topic has brought her great strife in the past and she knows that the mare only wishes to avoid that same fate in the future. In fact, it was quite admirable that she took it upon herself to raise the question. It showed a willingness to protect her court and Katniss admired that.

Katniss offers the mare a soft smile, hoping that she might cut some of the tension. “I too have had the same thoughts recently, though without the experiences that you have gone through.” She does not want to dismiss her past experiences, but let her know that she is serious about this issue, even if she has not gone through similar experiences. “In fact, I have drawn up a proposal to bring to Ira when I meet with him in a few days time.” The proposal was already drafted and safely kept in her small hut she lived in just outside of town. She had just been waiting for the right time to bring it up to Ira. His reign was just beginning and there was already so much for him to do. Katniss only wanted to give him a few days to collect himself before she brought this particular matter of state to him.

Katniss motions for the shade of a nearby canopy. “Come, I’d love to hear your ideas. Perhaps you have thought of things that I have not. My draft can always be amended.” The sun was out at full force and the canopy offered a bit of shade and comfort. Katniss wanted to make sure Luvena knew that she was giving her full attention to the issue at hand.

@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign

She was all too relieved to find the other mare receptive to her thoughts. She had worried that she would be met with dismissal, that they would see her, or more likely her ribs, and wave her off with but a glance. 

She followed Katniss into the shade, grateful for the respite from the hot sun, which though she preferred to the hard cold winds of winter, still did her little good. “I wrote some of it down” she murmured, drawing open the herb pouch that hung around her neck, and pulling out a neatly folded piece of parchment to the champion of battle. 

A number of acts need to be put in place for medics in the case of natural disaster or war.
  1. All medics within the court must be trained in basic triage, and the ability to place patients in the  field in one of three categories 
  1. Green - little to no injuries (no more then bumps or bruises) last to be treated, and can be sent back out into the field (if in the case of battle) 
  2. Yellow - moderate injuries/bleeding. Injuries require treatment but will not result in immediate risk. Patients assigned yellow should be evaluated for return to field on a case by case basis. 
  3. Red - Severe injuries/bleeding that require immediate treatment, and removal from the field if possible. Cannot return to field.
II. Medics should be assigned to one of many positions
  1. Head Medic - In charge of taking reports from Triage medics, and directing field medics out to patients accordingly. Keep track of resources use. And of course is out in the field wherever possible to help. 
  2. Triager - Only one to two medics per 10 soldiers should occupy this position. In charge of assessing patients quickly and reporting back to the head medic.
  3. Take directions from the head medic, on triaged patients and enact treatment accordingly. Assess yellow patients for return to field, and report to head medic. 
  4. Any healing apprentices should be kept to treating green patients with minor injuries, and helping to manage resources. They should not be near the direct zone of conflict/danger unless strictly necessary. 
III. In case of natural disaster where access to stores has been lost, a main focus should be getting anyone capable to help gather any new available resources for use, regardless of court rank. 

IV. While citizens of Denocte should take first priority, no healer should turn away any member of another court seeking aid, even in the case of active war. It is the duty of the healer to cause no harm, whether passively or actively. 

Luvena swallowed nervously. She knew the last point could be one of contention, but it was not one she would be bullied out of. She would never turn away someone in need, even, she told herself, her oldest enemy, if he were to ever turn up again. “We would also need designated stores built up for war situations” she added nervously. “Perhaps even kept here”

@Katniss

@Luvena

Inactive Character

Katniss was thankful that she seemed open to joining her in the shade. While most of her morning was out in the hot sun running drills, at least this would be done in the shade. There was no point getting all hot and bothered when they could have a friendly discussion beneath the shade of the giant oak tree.

As she handed her the folded piece of parchment, Katniss took it and began to unfold it. Eyes began to scan the paper, reading every word that had been written so perfectly. With each line she read, she would nod or mutter a “mmmhmmm” in understanding. He admired her work. She had put much time into making this list and preparing for this meeting. Now it was up to Katniss to also do the same.

Just as she was going to begin to share some of her plans, Luvena spoke again, this time offering that perhaps, they should build up their stores of herbs, bandages, and remedies. “Perhaps the medics can have a weekly or monthly task to bring back items you would need. I’m sure we can find a place for storage. I’m not even sure there is a clinic here in Denocte. Perhaps we can build you one.” While she wasn’t a contractor, she had enough brute strength to help build something sturdy as a makeshift hospital or clinic. There could be an added room for excess storage, much like they had an armory or storage for surplus food.

Katniss sighed softly. “I will bring all this up to Ira. I wanted to run drills, per say, to teach basic first aid and defense to all of Denocte. It would not be too far a stretch to ask the soldiers and medics to take this task further to have drills designed for just them.” She folded up the piece of parchment before looking back at Luvena. “Can I keep this? So I do not miss your points when I speak to our Sovereign?” She hoped she wouldn’t mind. Katniss wanted to do right by her. She didn’t want to miss anything because really, they were all good points.

@Luvena