Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - break me down, build me up

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 214 — Threads: 26
Signos: 260
Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

B e l o w Z e r o
I don't care what they're going to say, let the storm rage on
the cold never bothered me anyway
Bel felt the wounds stretch with every movement, a pull of torn flesh that had been ravenged so recently. The criss crossing of bandages made from braided grass however was a sharp reminder that this wasn't the ocean, and it was okay to get hurt here. It was okay to have to get treatment. But each glance at the wound on her far back limb was a sharp reminder of being too slow. Moving too slow. Not being powerful enough. Not be able to protect herself. Painful stabs through her heart that she had to trust Yuki to keep her safe. Sure the serpent had more experience in attacking, and Bel's interactions were limited to swimming away from sharks and playing chicken with octupi, but she really should have been able to do more. Protect herself more. "I'm pathetic." The word was bitterly cast, causing Yuki to clack her icicles together in protest.

Bel managed a faint smile, looking at her bonded, feeling the affection sent through their bond, "Okay, maybe bad choice of words. But I am unexperienced. This could have gone so much worse with out you there, Yuki. My leg will heal with no issues beyond new scars, but this is a significant issue to add to my list of things I need to work on. I want to make my people of the past proud. To bring Treaders back to what we were supposed to be. Warriors of the ice and waves. How can I do that when I can't even protect myself from that land-shark with fur!" She sighed softly, head dropping faintly, "I froze up when you attacked. Like a guppy caught in a shark's gaze! That moment of weakness got me wounded! It's a miracle that Denovian was there to aid me after it was over."

She didn't want to have to need a medic on hand though. She wanted to be able to protect herself. How could she hope to keep her sister safe from now own if she couldn't help herself. She moved slowly through the fields, hoping to make it to the swamp before having to take another break, knowing the water would help her as it normally did in calming her thoughts. But each step was painful, muscles pulling torn flesh, even beneath the soothing poultice and bandages, the careful work done to try and keep her in one piece. She had a feeling that spunky medic, Lu, would have her scales on a necklace if she made herself worse. Sighing she paused for a moment, lifting the affected limb and ignoring the faint scent of blood that still hoovered from the wound. The weight and pressure being removed helped, but it was a reminder she still had a way to go to get to the quiet safety of the swamp she tended to sleep in, beneath the murky waters. So far no one had seen her in this pitiful state at least . . . Something she hoped would remain the same. She knew there were still those who saw her as another version of a Kelpie, a Hippocampus. Forget the fact she had legs and lungs as well as the tail and gills. The fins could be a death sentence to those who don't recognize her. A part of her often wondered what the reaction would be if they knew she was alien too. Would that make it better? Worse? What if they knew she had sharp fangs beneath the normal ones, a mouth that opened wide like any other oceanic predator, because she ate fish while swimming under the waters? Would those who react negatively like that use this wound as a reason to chase her out? Terrastella was home at this point, but still so few of the equine here knew her. They knew of her surely, but knew her? 

She might wanna fix that when she's feeling better too, right after she makes herself stronger, more capable of course . . . Her to-do list seemed to be ever increasing these days. But at the very top was the reminder to heal before she could do much more. And with a painful twinge as she started to walk again, she wondered just how long that might take.

"Bel"
Yukime
@Rhone and Zombie
Notes::Here ya go <3

[Image: i-jTNwWx8.png]

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 109 — Threads: 15
Signos: 650
Inactive Character

Rhone had been wandering, something he didn’t do too often. He had enjoyed the date he had with Luvena near the sea, but now it was time to come home. There was still so much he needed to do, so many plants he needed to nurture. Even though so much time had passed since the floods had decimated Terrastella, some of the trees and plants still suffered. Many were dead or waterlogged and Rhone had been working to make sure that they were healthy and alive. He had been near the sea for a week or more, so he knew he needed to get back to his plants. While they would still be alive, they would not be as tall and healthy as they should have been if he had stayed close.

As he surged through the fields, his thoughts meandered. They thought of nothing and everything all at the same time. They were mindless and fleeting and yet, visions of Luvena with rosemary and thyme in her hair kept distracting him. Before he knew it, he was in the middle of the fields, no where near the cliffs he wanted to be.

As he changed direction, he was pleased to see a familiar face up ahead. While he hadn’t seen the shark-horse in some time, he did remember meeting her in the swamp so many moons ago. Briefly he wondered if she would remember him, but in the end, he decided that it really didn’t matter.

Instead of continuing towards the cliffs, he moved closer to the other. And as he drew near, he could see that she was badly injured. His pace quickened and he rushed to her side. "Are you alright?" His voice displayed the concern he felt. He wanted to help her, to make her wounds go away. "Will you make it to the hospital?” It hadn’t occurred to him that she might not want to go to the hospital. In his mind, the injured went to the hospital to get fixed. It never occurred to him that there may be another course of action. But ever the kind soul, Rhone was determined to help her out. While he might not have the skills to physically heal her, he could help her in other ways.

@Below Zero

Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

B e l o w Z e r o
Bel's face pulled slightly as the torn flesh was tugged uncomfortably with each step she took, the alien struggling to try to keep the majority of the discomfort off her features, out of her step. Yukime was offering a soothing hum, but Bel's focus was split between the slowly working flowers that were ebbing the pain away quick enough, and the remaining discomfort of the injury (plus the weirdness of being patched up). Someone comes. the warning was whispered over the bond, causing Bel to briefly pause, noting a figure working their way towards him, before relaxing as he neared her and she recognized the stallion, "It's alright, Yukime. He's part of the herd, not a threat." She whispered in reassurance, noting him apparently notice the injury, picking up his pace towards her.

Bel offered a faint, if awkward smile at his concern, "Good evening, Rhone." She hummed, even as she gently shook her head, "I'm fine, I assure you. I was patched up by a healer of the Night Court. I'm supposed to return to her in two days time for her to check the wounds." She stated, feeling Yukime relax back against her spine, the alien-serpent still watching the stallion closely in her usual distrusting way, but less concerned after Bel greeted him by name (an act done on purpose to soothe the easily fretted bonded). "It was my own fault for getting injured anyway . . . kinda." She made a face, still not happy with her own moment of weakness that had led to the injury.

She should have known Yukime could handle herself, shouldn't have paused when the serpent had launched from her back to fend off one of the attacking wolves. But Bel had fretted, Bel had let herself be distracted, and it had cost her in the battle when the wolf had torn into her with it's claws. She'd recovered fast enough, awkwardly enough for a being with little knowledge in fighting, but it had been the eye opener of a life time on just how ill prepared she was up against anything that might be more threatening towards her. Her steps started up once more, glancing at the stallion, "I'm heading back to the swamp, if it helps settle your concern, you're more than welcome to walk back with us." She stated with an amused smile that faltered after realizing that for the first time in a long time she'd have to sleep on the ground rather than beneath the water of the swamp, a disappointing realization to add to the difficulties of having gotten injured. How did one sleep above the ground? Did they sleep in a bed of grass? Do they make beds? Find a way to be more comfortable? She'd heard some slept standing up even! She'd have to figure that part out later, maybe find a thicket with soft enough marsh grass to lay in, but damp enough still to be a bit more comfortable, less dry.

Her steps were a little more limpish - no longer feeling the pain to the point of needing to control how she walked, although the occasional twinge still had her eyes flinching (usually her smaller set of eyes closing against the pain to try and keep the effect off the rest of her face, Hmm, you wouldn't happen to know if any of the soldiers or warriors of the po- er, herd would be willing to teach an entertainer some basic self defense would you?" She asked, a little out of the blue, but the question still weighing heavily on her mind, "I've been made . . . painfully . . . aware of how little self defense I know beyond basic instincts. And next time those . . . wolves, I believe they were called, try to take a bite out of me, I'd rather be better able to fend them off." She added, explaining a little more, even as the tension visibly began to lift off of her as soon as the swamp was in sight. It wasn't the sea, but it was a comfortable place on land where the air itself hugged her in a watery embrace.

"Bel"
Yukime
@Rhone and Zombie
Notes:: I feel like she's talking in circles a little more than normal - but I also imagine she's not quite 'there' thanks to being drugged :P

Inactive Character

Rhone always had a kind and caring heart and it ached when he would see others suffering. He wished he was a better healer, that he could take away her pain. Even though he did not know her extremely well, she was still a member of Dusk Court and that made her family, at least in his eyes.

When Bel began to explain that she was fine, that she had been patched up by someone from Night Court, his heart skipped a beat. "Luvena…" She would have done such a thing. She was a kind soul and knew no strangers.

Upon realizing that he had said her name out loud, he looked at her with a soft smile, trying not to draw too much attention. Luvena was not his to call anymore. She would always be his friend and he would always care for her deeply, but they were not an item…at least not anymore.

His attention was pulled back to her when she said that it was her own fault for getting injured. He cocked his head, looking at her curiously. "How so? I don’t think anyone intentionally hurts themselves…" At least most people didn’t. Those who did needed help and not in the physical sense. They were not themselves, letting their mental toughness dissipate. He did not think that was the case with Bel.

At her invitation to follow her back towards the swamp, he nodded his head softly. "Aye, I would feel better knowing that you got home safely." He could smell the metallic taste of blood in the air and no doubt predators could do. He would do his best to insure she made it home safe. After all, he would most certainly blame himself if she perished or got more injured on her trek home and he had done nothing to prevent it. "You’re more than welcome to share my hit tonight. I can help tend to your wounds in the morning and at least keep you safe form predators." He doubted that she would actually accept his invitation, but it made him feel better to at least offer it.

As they walked in silence, he could see the way she hobbled along, the way her muscles ached and her body grew more tired of keeping up with the façade she was putting on. But it was her question that distracted him, if only for a moment. He shook his head. "I’m afraid I don’t know any personally. I heard the Champion of Battle in Denocte is quite skilled." He’d seen the tall silver black mare before and she looked just as intimidating as she was tall. Her body was riddled with scars but she seemed to have a nice demeanor. "…but while I am no soldier now, I did fight a fair few battles in my prime. I can certainly give you some pointers once you’re feeling more up to it if you want." He offered her a genuine smile, hoping that if she did not want to travel to Denocte to get her lessons, then maybe she would allow him to share his wisdom.

@Below Zero

Dusk Court Battlemage

B e l o w Z e r o
Bel may have been hurting, definitely, but the Treader mare considered it to be pain well worn. Getting hurt was a privilege now, an obscure blessing many wouldn't understand unless they were aware of where she had originated from. The curse a wound inflicted upon the pod. If it didn't heal fast enough, if it bled in the water, it was too dangerous to the safety of the pod - and the pod must be protected at all costs. A wound back home was a death sentence; here, this one: it proved she was still alive.

She was however quick to ensure the other of her health, explaining she had already been patched up by one of another Court. She hadn't expected him to name the mare who had helped her however, and she blinked in surprise, before noting the tone he'd whispered the name in. She chose not to comment, however, sensing a hard story she was familiar enough with her and Shard split to respect his privacy. It didn't stop her muzzle from pulling into a frown, nor did it keep her from watching him with concern.

But she graciously allowed a topic change, admitting in her own fault towards being wounded. His curiosity was evident in his gaze, and she couldn't help but smile sheepishly when he'd questioned it, "I, uh, kinda forgot that my companion is . . . Well, quite the predator herself. I was sprung upon by a couple of fur coated landsharks, uhm . . . Wolves I think? Yukime had been on my back, like now, when they'd first attacked, and when she jumped off to defend me, I made the mistake of being distracted, concerned for her. The horrid little creature managed to latch onto me. I was all fins and no coordination for a moment, but managed to eventually smack it away with my fluke. But if I had trusted Yuki, hadn't been distracted, it wouldn't have happened. I'm just glad the wound wasn't worse."

She frowned at that though, if it had been deeper, had penetrated the blubber, or into the muscles beneath. Her blubber was intact and would allow it to heal faster in that fact, "Had it been deeper, I doubt any medic would have been familiar enough with marine mammals to help. I'd rather not risk permanent problems over huge tearing in my blubber layer that wasn't allowed to heal just right." She explained, a slight laugh and an awkward shrug of her shoulders, "Being a marine mammal can be odd enough for others, but the extra odds and ends of my species likely made more sense on the home plant than this one. I'm sure, deep down, I'd be a bit of a medical mystery for anyone to heal."

She did feel slightly surprised when he took her up on her offer to follow her home, having expected him to shrug it off once she'd assured she was mostly alright. From her back Yukime still regarded the stallion skeptically, suspicious of his help, the help of a stranger (even if he wasn't a stranger to Bel). The mare in question however smiled gratefully, "Thank you, for showing compassion and going out of your way like this for me. I don't want to be a bother though - if you do have somewhere to be, don't feel responsible to walk me all the way there." She offered, before being more than just a touch surprised at his next offer, though it was Yuki who clanked her ice crystals in offense at the unintentional slight of not being able to protect her bonded mare, "Peace, Yuki, he's just being nice, he didn't mean you were incapable." She quickly soothed the agitated ice serpent.

Her gaze turned towards Rhone, even as she quickly shook her head, "OH, I really couldn't impose on you like that! I'm sure I'll figure something out for where to sleep, since I've been told no diving." She then paused, a frown briefly flirting with her features before being chased away, "Though perhaps I should figure out how others sleep on land . . . I've always slept underwater . . . But, anyways, I'll be fine! I'll figure something out! I really don't want to be a bother too you!" Earnest worry plagued her face at the idea of making his own night troublesome just because she had gotten herself hurt.

The walk from then was more silent, even as she gave up the pretense of being okay, favoring the wounded limb more now that the adrenaline rush was gone and the dull pain more consistent. Her question for training was for information just as it was for her to take her mind of the pain and focus on conversation. When he told her of the Champion of Battle in Denocte, she nodded, grateful for the information, "My sister lives in Denocte, I'll have to see if she can arrange an introduction." If that failed, maybe Luvena could help pave that roar. His 'but had Bel's attention returning as Rhone offered assistance to her again, and she smiled. This is why she loved Terrastella, for the compassion for each other in the herd. It truly was a family, " Would you really? That would be amazing! Even a few tips and pointers would be a great place to start! It's barnacles of my back if I could get help and guidance here at home too. Thank you so much!" Besides, perhaps having a few different teachers would help even more, balance out the knowledge, fill any gaps: round out her training. But, this was a start at least.

"Bel"
Yukime
@Rhone and Zombie
Notes:: apologies if there's any grammar issues. Posting from my phone lol

Inactive Character

He listened quietly, but actively, when she began to speak about the attack and how her injuries had happened. He tried to envision what went down and for the most part, he understood. He could not deny that she was right, that distraction could have been fatal to her and her bonded. But he said nothing, knowing that she was already beating herself up over the matter.

But in the end, he offered to walk her back to the swamp. He was already going in that direction towards his hut and it would be ungentlemanly like to just let her wander off injured. "It’s really no bother, I’m already heading in that direction." He offered her a smile, then offering her to stay in his hut with him tonight if she wanted. Already he could see that her bonded was quite offended and already he felt bad for making her feel that way. "I don’t mean to discount your abilities, Yuki. I just wanted to offer you both extra protection and a roof you’re your heads tonight. I swear my intentions are pure." He hoped his words would soothe them enough, at least offering them some sort of peace.

She went on to try to figure out how to sleep on land, being that she normally slept beneath the veil of water. He smiled. "My magic allows me to grow plants. Once we get to the swamp, will you at least let me make you a bed?" If she wasn’t going to join him in his hut tonight, where a bed was already prepared, then surely she would allow him to make her a nice place to sleep tonight.

The conversation gradually meandered through various topics, but grew serious when Rhone offered to show her a few tips and tricks. It had been years since he had done any formal fighting, but he still had a few good moves in him. Not to mention, he loved to teach and perhaps this was just one way to do so. When she agreed to his training, he offered her a smile. "Good, then once you are fully healed, I will teach you to fight on land." He had a lot to learn from her too. He was nothing but a fish out of water when he was out of his element in the water. She could probably teach him a few things too.

@Below Zero

Dusk Court Battlemage

B e l o w Z e r o
Bel was grateful for someone to talk to about what happened, but didn't reprimand her for what was clearly a dangerous situation she'd let herself get into. It had been her fault, and she was already guilty enough, and not having to deal with someone butting in on that front was a relief. But the offer to walk her back to her swamp was surprising, but welcome, and when he explained he was already in the direction, she couldn't argue it, even if she did argue making him put her up for the night, especially as Yuki didn't like the assumption that he didn't trust her to care for Bel.

His quick apology had Bel laugh, shaking her head with a smile, "Oh, please, don't fret over Yuki. She knows you don't mean to discredit her. She's naturally grumpy, and grumpier than normal since I got hurt. Please don't take offense to her behavior." She stated, even as she used her own muzzle to bop her bonded on the forehead, avoiding the ice shards that crowned her bonded. "We do appreciate the offer, both of us. But we'll be fine outside. I'm afraid I've never slept within a home, regardless. I'd likely be too uncomfortable in such a new setting to get much sleep." She admitted, with a slight laugh.

She hadn't thought about the confusion of the sleeping under the water to now sleeping on land, however, and her eyes immediately widened at his offer, before she hesitated for a moment, "Do you have a powerful enough gift to make the bed out of aquatic grasses and seaweed. I'm not foolish enough to ask for the aquatic variety, but even the swamp variety would make it easier, I'll be in the edge of the shallows where my wound wont get wet, anyway, so the plants will be rooted in the half inch, or so, deep water." She requested, almost shyly at having to ask something particular out of someone who was already going out of his way to help her. But she'd rather sleep in something familiar, even if she couldn't be under water, filtering the water with gills as she slept among the grasses deep below the water.

The conversation travelled, and not once was it uncomfortable as they walked, but she was grateful for the offer to learn, just as he returned a smile when she agreed to it, "Oh, I look forward to it then! I cannot wait!" She stated, grinning brightly, "As soon as I'm healed, I'll let you know immediately so we can arrange lessons around your schedule." She added, as the entered the swamp, and she led the way towards the area she had claimed for her and Yuki, her body visibly relaxing, despite the tenderness and pain of the wound, as the water touched her ankles, her vapors growing colder, trailing down her sides to waft over the swamp surface, "Feel free to grow what ever you can, where ever it is easiest. I'm not too picky about where I sleep, as long as I can feel some sort of bit of the water. I have to keep certain hydration levels anyways." She offered, even as her eyes watched him eager to see actual elemental magic at work. Like the sort of magic she should be able to tap into, although less with earth, and everything to do with water.

"Bel"
Yukime
@Rhone and Zombie
Notes:: <3