Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Fight: Judged  - achilles come down —

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Reichenbach

Battle Type: BATTLE / SPAR
Prize: BRAGGING RIGHTS / REICH FINDS OUT HOW GOOD HIS WARDEN IS!
Character #1: click
Bonded: n/a
Magic: n/a
Armor: n/a
Weapons: n/a

Character #2: click
Bonded: YES - HELLHOUND 
Magic: N/A
Armor: YES Click
Weapons: N/A

R E I C H E N B A C H

There was no better day for sparring. The sun was bright and high in the sky, warming Reichenbach's mahogany skin as he stood relaxedly upon the Steppe. He was waiting for Rostislav, newly appointed Warden of the South and his best friend. It was rare to find another man so easy to click with and yet from first meeting the two men had felt companionable, something that had developed quickly into friendship - Rosti's arrival and transfer into the Night Court had been the last brick solidifying their close relationship. Now Reich felt completely at ease awaiting the other mans arrival, even going so far as to close his eyelids to warm them in the summer sun, one ear flicked upward to catch the sounds of his arrival. 

Rostislav was well known for his fighting skills - one of the many reasons Reichenbach had been pleased when he'd accepted the proposal to become Warden. Too many saw Rosti's love for drink and wrote him off for it, ignoring the thickly built muscles and the faded scars, the glint in his steely eyes that revealed so much more than what lingered on the surface. This would be the first time the two men met on the battlefield, a clashing of two Denocte titans, a test for both Reichenbach and Rostislav. If Rostislav won it would prove he deserved his position as Warden and was, without a doubt, the best man to defend their home. If Reich won... it would prove to The Night King and all of his citizens that he wasn't the kind of King to sit upon the throne and allow others to win their battles for them. 

The thought curved his black lips into a mellow smile, a single ear sliding backward as he heard the sounds of approaching hooves. 

"You start."

He said lazily, opening his long lashed eyes and blinking a few times to adjust to the sunlight.

Summary: Reich is lazily standing about in the sun and tells Rosti he can start <3

Attack Used:
Attack(s) Left: 2
Block Used: 0
Block(s) Left: 1
Item(s) Used:

Response Deadline: 25th August 2017 
Tags: @Rostislav @kay, @inkbone, AND @SID

Rostislav

After my battle with Aislinn, I was quick to leave the Steppe. After all, staying there would invite attack just as Aislinn had invited attack. It would have been beyond foolish to remain when I was wounded. Though not grievously maimed, I was sore in my hips and had a slight limp. Now, time has done its job and healed me enough to go back into the field of battle, ready to test my mettle again. This time.... I'm not going to meet some random, lost soul. Instead, I'm going up against Reichenbach, Sovereign of the Night Court. Although I generally feel confident in my battling abilities, I'm not quite looking forward to sparring with my friend and lord. If I win, it will reinforce my position as the Warden and as a fierce warrior. But it might make the ruler appear incompetent and weak. If I lose, the same may be said about me.

Damaris huffs next to me as we make our way back to the Steppe, nearing the rings naturally left for battle. You're overthinking this, Rostislav. Look at the positives, not the negatives. She has a point, but I don't tell her that I'm also nervous facing my king. After all, he's king for a reason, and I'm not sure if I stand a chance against him. Perk up or you'll get your ass kicked. I bark out a laugh, unused to hearing Damaris use any sort of curse. It's enough to lighten my mood and leave a cheerful grin upon my lips as I spot Reichenbach ahead of us.

I near and hear my favorite bloke greet me: 'You start.' I chuckle and break into a canter. Damaris lopes behind me though she stops before we reach the bay stallion, letting me take the lead. It doesn't sit well with me to attack from the rear, but considering Reich already knows of my approach, it's up to him to turn and defend himself. I bare my teeth as I close in, angling just to the right. I curl my neck and hope that my teeth may make purchase upon his rump. I let my own haunches coil underneath me, abruptly halting my momentum so that as I finish my skin-shredding, I might whirl away from his inevitable retaliation.

WC: 383
Tag: @Reichenbach @Sid @kay @inkbone

Rosti thoughts | "Rosti speech" | Damaris mindspeak

Summary: Rosti hears Reich's invitation and charges from Reich's rear. He angles to the right and hopes to bite/scrape Reich's right hindquarters, while he pulls up to a halt so he might turn and jump away (as opposed to continuing past Reich). Damaris stays back away from the two stallions.

Attack Used: 1
Attack(s) Left: 1
Item(s) Used: n/a

Response Deadline: Aug 23

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Reichenbach

R E I C H E N B A C H

Rostislav's gruff chuckle warmed The Night King's chest briefly, bringing a smile of his own to grace the charcoal of his soft lips. There were too few in Novus that looked upon life with a smile in their teeth, that took the bad with the good and grinned all the while. Rosti was one of the few. Like a moth to a flame, Reich had found him and claimed him for his own - warrior, warden, friend.

The sound of Rostislav's heavy footfalls were easy to isolate, that thud, thud, thud of approaching battle setting his already hot blood afire. Reich opened his bright eyes swiftly, listening carefully as he pinpointed the Warden's location - to the right, lunging and... Reichenbach felt the grasp of Rosti's strong teeth as they bit into his rump. He could have attempted to dodge the attack, to whirl about and strike out at the well-muscled man while he was still lunging - but a bite on the rump, as painful as it was, was worth sacrificing to get into the position he was now.

Reich turned his handsome head slightly, eyeing the attached stallion with a chaotic grin before throwing all his strength into kicking out with his strong hind legs. Throwing the pistons out into a forceful buck, Reich aimed to slam his hind hooves into the soft flesh at the base of Rostislav's unprotected throat. If his strong, hard hooves connected with that fleshy, sensitive area there could be no doubt that it would hurt, possibly even effect Rosti's breathing. Slowing the heavy man down might give Reichenbach an inch or two of an advantage, considering the bay stallion was nimble and agile where Rostislav was all muscle. When he'd done this move in the past he hadn't had to take armour into consideration - the protection it gave Rostislav even now was impressive, encouraging a pang of friendly jealousy within the Sovereign of Night.

He could feel the steady throb of pain emanating from his rump now, a painful mix of bruised muscle and broken skin. Blood dribbled slowly from the fierce bite, mingling silently with the sweat that was now forming upon Reichenbach's dark skin.

OOC

Summary: Reich takes Rosti's bite on his rump and uses the positioning to strike out with his hind hooves at Rosti's soft, unarmoured throat

Attack Used: 1
Attack(s) Left: 1
Item(s) Used: -

Response Deadline: 24th August

Rostislav

My lips taste his blood, his flesh. The hair that I rip from him sticks to my lips. Sorry, not sorry, mate. Of course I can't apologize for trying my damnedest to take a chunk of him with me. (After all, doesn't he need cool scars to tell war stories about? What better than a friend to provide them!) Satisfaction courses through my veins, bonding with the adrenaline that is natural in a fight. I pull my teeth from his hindquarters, and I prepare to use my momentum to peel away from him. Escape from this proximity is my goal.

But while I have strength to aid me, he has speed. I am the chunky monkey, the weightlifter who remembers arm day but forgets leg day (all the leg days). He is the lithe gymnast, the medal winner on the track. Before I can heave my rabicano body away from his bay one, he's already coming for me. Even as I feel his rough hooves make contact with my throat, I see out of the corner of my silver eyes the knowing smirk on his face. Bastard took the hit on purpose! And then I can't think about Reichenbach anymore because although he didn't break my windpipe, he certainly struck hard enough to start a small swelling that will threaten to cut off my breathing. I brace myself on all fours, coughing and gasping for air. I shake my head to and fro, leonine tail whipping through the air; the agitation and panic at struggling to breathe making my entire body wild.

My mind reaches out to Damaris, screaming in my head for her help even as I cough and slowly start to get my breath back. My sides heave and I'm ready to attack my king again, but Damaris has already leaped past me, teeth bared. I don't worry about her safety; instead I'm actually worried about Reichenbach's! The hellhound has grown so much, approaching her full size and gaining muscle every day. She can hold her own, even against the king. But she has acid in her jaws, and I've never seen it tested against an opponent. A small but growing fear twists my gut up in a knot, worried that she may damage Reichenbach more than is warranted for our friendly battle. But it's too late, and she's come to my defense. I try to touch her mind, but she's blocked me out, too focused on her offensive.

Damaris's jaws part, revealing canines coated in a sickly green venom. Her glowing green eyes flash as she aims to grab Reichenbach's left hind cannon. She moves faster than my poor eyes can follow, but I can hear her snarling and growling. She peels away, running back to my side as I remain still, recovering from Reich's blow. My haunches coil and I live my mass partway into the air, a choked squeal passing my lips. I stop squealing immediately as it rasps through my sore throat. Come for me, brother! I don't have to say it -- the look is plain on my face. Always a gentleman, I offer the same invitation he offered me.

WC: 526

Summary: Rosti gets hit just off center on his throat, not crushing his windpipe but leaving what will be a big bruise. It knocks the air from him and he stops to try to catch his breath. Damaris takes his place, aiming for Reich's hind left cannon, assuming that he hasn't moved. Then she returns to Rosti and he does some posturing with a rear and a hoarse squeal. Consider him on his way down to earth for a Reich attack!

Attack Used: 2
Attack(s) Left: 0

Response Deadline: Aug 24

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Reichenbach

R E I C H E N B A C H

He struck true. The impact was like hitting a brick wall, such was Rostislav's strength, a man of true strength. The dull thud of his hooves hitting true was satisfying to his hungry heart, the burning of adrenaline pumping through his veins asking for more, more, more. Then came the gasping and the wheezing from behind him, giving reason for the gypsy man to turn, his hair splaying wildly around him with the movement. The earth felt like it was his - the soft grass and earth underfoot lending him their durability, the mountains giving strength, the fresh air that rushed down his lungs making him nimble and fierce. If it had been anyone else but Rosti standing there heaving, Reichenbach might have pressed the advantage, might have leaped upon him like wildfire - but it was Rosti. Instead he danced upon his hooves, joyful and wild even as his rump ached. 

He'd forgotten about Damaris. 

It was his downfall, the complete inability to focus in a fight. All he wanted to do was punch, kick, bite and receive the same in return, a raucous and wild brawl with no rules. There was no focus in the whirlwind of his passion, no reason or logic, just excitement and adrenaline. It was complete and utter luck that as he whirled to grin at Rostislav, he saw the hound coming. Stars above, was she fast. Reichenbach had less than a moment to see Damaris in all her glory, for she moved like lightning, flitting forward too quickly to follow. He had little choice but to leap as she lunged for his leg, the snap of her teeth echoing like a gunshot through the expanse of the Steppe. Reich felt the faintest brush of the hellhounds fur as she missed him by an inch. An inch. Just a tiny bit closer and he'd have had to throttle Rosti for a damn antidote to that acidic venom of hers. The Night King landed with a hefty thud, the muscles in his shoulders rippling elegantly in the sunlight. 

Wasting no time, Reichenbach adjusted himself to face his Warden once again. The challenge was there, plain and simple in Rosti's rugged face. Reich grinned ferociously at Rostislav's hoarse scream, responding with his own roar as he pushed into a swift canter toward the man and his bonded. He maintained the speed, rushing toward Rosti with the intention of slamming his own broad chest into his opponents - but there was Rosti's armour, dented and worn but strong as ever. So as he rushed forward, shoving his strong chest toward Rostislav's, he also swung one leg out and under to attempt to take the Wardens legs out from underneath him and bring the mountainous man to the ground.

Summary: Reich leaps over Damaris, feeling the brush of her fur against his leg. Then he roars back at Rosti and charges, aiming to shove him off balance with his chest while trying to trip him with his foreleg.

Attack Used:
Block Used:
Block(s) Left: 0
Item(s) Used: -

Response Deadline: 25th August

Rostislav

I wince as Damaris rushes the bay stallion, jaws snapping. I breathe a silent sigh of relief, part of me thankful that Reichenbach was able to leap out of the way just in time. I've never seen her use her acid bite, and do not know what lasting effects it might have. I am defending you! She growls at me, anger at my reaction seeping into her words. Of course I know that.... I'm about to tell her so, to point out that this is our king and perhaps we should not grievously wound him, even in order to win.

But not even my thoughts have time to properly form, because the handsome beast is already charging me again - charging as soon as he had escaped the hellhound's snarling canines. I look for the flash of hooves or teeth, weapons that might be used against me. But it's only a brown mass that comes at me, black tendrils swirling around the handsome face. Part of my mind thinks to jump aside, to dodge, but by the time my hooves reach the ground his breast makes contact with mine. A grunt is forced from my body as he slams into me, knocking the wind straight out of my lungs. His pectorals have crushed into the metal plate decorating my chest, but no armor can keep you from getting winded. I brace my legs against the collision, holding my ground. I feel his leg wrap behind mine, trying to knock me to my knees. But what he doesn't know is this trick has already been tried before! A vision passes through my mind of Aislinn knocking my hind legs, causing my hindquarters to drop to the gound. Now I feel the firm ground underneath me, so solid and reliable. My striped hooves dig in, resisting his swipe. I may not be able to evade so easily, but at least I can resist. I gasp as I'm able to get wind through my larynx, and I leap to the side, breaking the force between us.

I jog away, Damaris loping around to stand ready behind me. My silver eyes glitter with amusement, adrenaline still rushing through me as endorphins make me forget the pain in my throat. I bow my skull to him, metal-decorated face shimmering in the light. "Well fought, my King." I croak, then lift my head again to grin at him. Damaris remains still, not feeling compelled to obey the laws of respect and etiquette that the equine court system is bound to. "We should do this again sometime." I gesture back toward Denocte. "Let's go soak in the lake, eh? Maybe the sun will warm it up enough for our aching muscles. Or I guess we could piss in it...." A deep chuckle passes my lips then, satisfaction rumbling through to slowly replace the adrenaline.

WC: 476

Summary: Rosti gets slammed in the chest, but his only wound is that he's winded. He stays firmly planted, then leaps away to avoid their legs getting too entangled. Then he chats up Reich and makes a crude joke. XD

Attack Used: 2
Block Used: 1
Block(s) Left: 0

Response Deadline: n/a

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

sid

STAFF NOTE***
@reichenbach / @spaced has redeemed signos for completing this thread.
@rostislav / @lauren has redeemed signos for completing this thread.

Played by Offline inkbone [PM] Posts: 73 — Threads: 1
Signos: 25,195
Owner Administrator

Reichenbach VS Rostislav

@Reichenbach - Total: 77/100

• Attacks 52/65

• 19/25 -- Based on creativity (originality, imagination, and attention to detail).
      • 1st post: No actual attack, but it was nice to see Reich's personality radiate through his posture and relaxation.
      • 2nd post: Creative, offensive thought process behind his attack and how he was able to get in the position to make it!
      • 3rd post: I question how realistic a body-slam into a chestplate would be. I feel it would have been a better choice to try and shoulder/slam Rosti's own shoulder - which is mostly unprotected- which would still allow for him to try and knock out his legs from under him.

• 23/25 -- Based on realism (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: No actual attack, but a very realistic and fluid feeling of comfort emanated from this post.
      • 2nd post: Realistic choice, with the aiming for Rosti's throat. While Rosti was attempting to backpedal, it's unlikely that he could backpedal quick enough to fully avoid such a kick.
      • 3rd post: Watching the contrast in Rosti and Reich is refreshing. Rosti, who is so overly-aware of his friendship with Reich and questions the battle because of it... whereas Reich gets lost in the adrenaline and pumping blood. Nice to see that he clears his head and doesn't end up trying to take advantage of Rosti's moment to catch his breath!

• 10/15 -- Based on writing metrics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc)
      • 1st post: Very well written, few errors.
      • 2nd post: A sentence that could have been structured differently near the end, at the tail-end of his first attack. It read oddly and made me go back to re-read it, but overall very good!
      • 3rd post: Very well written, few errors.

• Blocks 25/35

• 10/15 -- Based on creativity (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: No actual blocks.
      • 2nd post: I would have liked to see more of a written description of how the bite affected him - there was a decent bit of descriptiveness to it already, but it would have been icing on the cake to maybe explain the pain he was experiencing while he reciprocated an attack.
      • 3rd post: The idea of Reich leaping like a rabbit off the ground kinda made me chuckle!

• 11/15 -- Based on realism (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 2nd post: How Reich calculated the pros/cons of taking or trying to avoid the bite added a nice tang of realism. Avoiding the bite would have meant that he wasn't able to be in the position he was, so close to Rosti's throat (even though Rosti was attempting to backpedal afterwards).
      • 3rd post: I would have liked to see some sort of consequence from the leap - maybe something along the lines of a stumble, especially with how fast Damaris was coming at him.

• 4/5 -- Based on writing metrics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc)
      • 2nd post: A few repetitive words mid-post and run-on sentences, but otherwise very good!
      • 3rd post: Very well written, few errors.

@Rostislav - Total: 88/100

• Attacks 58/65 

• 23/25 -- Based on creativity (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: I really liked the aspect that he was quite nervious to battle his Sovereign, and it brought a very realistic feel to the fight. It carried well throughout the entire post - from Damaris' "reassurance," to his almost tentative attack at Reich's bum (which made me laugh, actually!)
      • 2nd post: I was hoping to see Damaris jump into this after Reich's attack, and wasn't disappointed! Was especially impressed by Damaris blocking Rosti out, although I felt like the  description of her attack fell off almost awkwardly near the end.
      • 3rd post: No attacks in this post.

• 21/25 -- Based on realism (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health, Attack, and Bonded animal)
      • 1st post: The fact that Rostislav's first attack came off as hesitant works out in the end, especially because he knows Reich is aware of his presence. It makes a lot of sense that he doesn't throw his entire weight and vigor into something that will most likely be countered very easily.
      • 2nd post: Rosti's concern for Damaris' damaging potential was quite quaint! Made me smile and go "aww," because even in the heat of battle this chunky-monkey still cares for his friends deeply and shows it!

• 10/15 -- Based on writing metrics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc)
      • 1st post: I've been watching your development (outside of this battle, too), and I'm super impressed by your improvements in such a short timespan! You had a great writing style when you started, and it's only becoming more impressive. There was a sentence or two near the end that could have benefited from being combined into a complex sentence, though.
      • 2nd post: A few spelling errors here and there, but they're few and far between!

• Blocks 30/35

• 13/15 will be based on creativity (originality, imagination, and attention to detail) 
        1st post: No blocks in the first post.
      • 2nd post: I love how well written Rosti's reaction to the hit was! Very fluid and great amount of detail.
      • 3rd post: Not necessarily a block (as Rosti took the hit), but it was nice to see how you detailed the repercussions of Reich's attack.

• 14/15 will be based on realism (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health, Attack, and Bonded animal)
      • 1st post: No blocks in the first post.
      • 2nd post: This was one hit I, personally, couldn't have seen play out almost any other way. While Rosti was coiled to leap back, the proximity is just far too small and he would have never been able to fully avoid Reich's attack. Very good at sticking with realism!
      • 3rd post: The hit on his chest armor winding Rosti was very realistic! You play his armor very well - an advantage, but not something that makes him immune to everything.

• 3/5 will be based on writing metrics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc)
      • 1st post: No blocks in the first post.
      • 2nd post: A few spelling errors here and there, but they're few and far between!
      • 3rd post: Very well done, and few if any errors!

the novus crew

the someday crew

sid

REICHENBACH vs ROSTISLAV

@Reichenbach:
Total: 80/100

• Attacks 54/65

• Creativity 23/25
      First: I like how he just takes it! Definitely not seen as often. Otherwise a pretty simple kick, very easy to imagine.
Second: I like how there’s a bit more than a simple charge—also trying to trip Rostislav up is creative and unique, I don’t see that very often!

• Realism 19/25
      First: I like how you add in pain and damage from Rosti’s bite, as Reich made no move to dodge it. It isn’t a drastic attack, so no points are really lost on realism here.
Second: It seems a bit too busy, both trying to ram him with his chest and use a hoof to trip him? I feel like to get the full effect of a ram, he’d have to have all four hooves planted and driving into the ground!

• Metrics 12/15
      First: Clean and easy to read! I like how Reich throws in a smile, it’s very in-character for him. Few grammatical mistakes, nothing distracting from the post itself.
Second: Again, I love the feel you get for Reich in your writing—it all flows so well from one paragraph to the next, it really draws me in.
      Noteworthy: I love how lazy he seems in the first post, and the feel it gives the reader for who Reich is and his purpose for the fight!

• Blocks 26/35

• Creativity 11/15
      Nice simple post, but the way you describe it and Reich’s reaction helps to give it a facelift! Otherwise it’s a pretty straightforward dodge.

• Realism 11/15
      I would have liked to see a bit more awkwardness in it (since she was described as moving “too quickly to follow,” I’d expect there to be a scramble to get away rather than an elegant dodge), but the instinct is there and believable

• Metrics 4/5
      A little repetitive, but well written and nothing too distracting.

@Rostislav - Total: 81/100

• Attacks 54/65

• Creativity 20/25
      First: I like how he isn’t quite comfortable attacking from behind but goes along with it anyway. Otherwise it’s a pretty simple first attack, but I appreciate how visual it is and the whole jump-in, jump-out sort of attack style. 
Second: I like that his bonded is involved in this; the way you write it, as Damaris just taking over to protect Rosti, definitely comes across and adds a few bonus points in my opinion.

• Realism 24/25
      First: Nothing too crazy, though Reich is quite a bit taller than Rosti, but I’m sure he’d be able to figure it out nonetheless. Because Rosti is a bit bulkier it’s kind of hard to imagine him being agile enough to really “whirl” away from a retaliation though!
Second: I love how much contrast is painted between Rosti and Reich; it definitely goes hand in hand with the kick to the throat he takes.

• Metrics 10/15
      First: Few mistakes, easy to read and understand what’s going on.
Second: A few more spelling mistakes that I had to reread a couple of times, but overall the post is clean. A little choppy at the end between Damaris’ and Rosti’s attacks on Reich, but the meaning comes across.

• Blocks 28/35

• Creativity 12/15
      A pretty simple dodge, but one that I can see being effective! I especially like how he does it out of awareness, that he’s analyzing the situation the entire time.

• Realism 12/15
      Man I love how he learned from Aislinn’s attack and uses it to counter Reich’s! However, armor is heavy and I think it would have been pretty realistic if he were a bit more winded or bruised underneath? Nonetheless I like that he’s aware of their legs and tries to not get entangled in them.

• Metrics 4/5
      I’m impressed with your improvement from your last battle! This one flowed so nicely, and there were very few grammatical or spelling mistakes that I could find overall.

sid

DICE ROLL

@REICHENBACH:
157 (battle total) + 40 (HTH + ATK) = 197
197 * 1.29 (29 EXP) = 254 (rounded down)

@ROSTISLAV:
169 (battle total) + 40 (HTH + ATK) = 209
209 * 1.25 (25 EXP) = 261 (rounded down)

254 + 261 = 515

1-254 = REICHENBACH, 255-515 = ROSTISLAV

#1: 94 (REICHENBACH)
#2: 415 (ROSTISLAV)
#3: 389 (ROSTISLAV)
#4: 351 (ROSTISLAV)
#5: 11 (REICHENBACH)

proof of dice roll.
@ROSTISLAV wins.

All damage taken in the thread is still applicable and cannot be retconned!

Participate in a Battle or Challenge: +1 EXP to Reichenbach, +1 EXP to Rostislav
Win a Battle: +1 additional EXP to Rostislav
Total: +1 EXP to Reichenbach, +2 EXP to Rostislav

Both Reichenbach’s and Rostislav’s official experience has been updated to reflect these changes, so there's no need to post in the Experience Updates thread!

This thread is now locked and been archived.