Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Fire At My Feet

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Modes

Played by Offline wild / jet [PM] Posts: 85 — Threads: 12
Signos: 1,300
Day Court Scholar
Female [she/her]  |  8 [Year 503 Summer]  |  18.3 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 28  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

jane

It had been a long time since Jane had travelled in company. The last had been Hardison- it was with relief that Jane passed into the walls of the city with her new friend. 

Solterra in Autumn had barely changed at all from its shades of Summer. Coming from the desert, the light glared off every surface in a way that hurt Jane’s eyes. Centuries had given the city the impression of a skeleton; its bones older than breath, older than memory. Veil by her side, Jane tried to pretend that this city meant anything to her at all. Limited communication aside, Jane could only do her best to lend the other a silent company. 

Then, finally, Jane came across the house where she stayed. Rays of light, burning light, bounced off the eaves; the scent of dust slowly clearing for a coming Spring.

A momentary anxiety filled her chest at the knowledge that they had certainly not expected a visitor. It was not kind of her to bring Veil to them but Jane felt distinctly in her heart that this was the right thing. This was new. Never before had she had the sense of fate, like this was something predestined that she was meant to do. No one else. Just her.

A hint of selfishness had always existed in the young mare. Privileged, rich, Jane had thought only of herself in the absence of any other. Now, for the first time, it was this stranger, this newcomer, who Jane thought most about.

The door was opened by her aunt. A moment’s pause, looking between Jane and Veil. Something in the gaze said that it was over. 

“Who on earth raised you to believe this was acceptable,” the aunt said, and Jane bristled. “Who even is this?”

“I’m very sorry, ma’am, but if she could just stay in my room for a bit-”

“Jane, this is too much. I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to ask you to leave. You can visit us if you need anything, but- you need to go, anyway.”

And this is the story of how Jane ended up in a street on an autumn day; heart pumping as she looked into Veil’s eyes, a cosmic entity so unsuited to daylight. Jane sank her head- anticlimactic as it had been, Jane sighed for yet another life snatched. She knew it was her own fault, but she just hoped- “I’m sorry,” she whispered. 

@[Veil Nebula] / speaks /im sorry this is utter shite but i've been putting it off enough /sigh. 

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 103 — Threads: 12
Signos: 125
Vagabond Monk
Female [She/Her/They/Theirs]  |  8 [Year 503 Summer]  |  15.1 hh  |  Hth: 46 — Atk: 14 — Exp: 69  |    Active Magic: Stellar Divination  |    Bonded: N/A

V e i l N e b u l a
Visions of your pretty face send me into hyper space
Caught up in a palentary world
The travelled in company, but silence.

Though, she didn't think Jane minded. As they crossed into the walls of this city, colored in reds, oranges, yellows, she was surprised by the brightness. Sun gleamed and glared and Veil blinked as her eyes got used to the change of vibrancy. Beside her, Jane seemed to posture up, as if it was home, but deeper down, Veil could sense that was wrong, something was off. She didn't say anything on it, instead only touching the other mare on the shoulder, offering a reassuring smile. Then came the arrival of a house, and as Jane approached the door.

It opened, Veil felt an immediate shift.

Fear, Betrayal, Dissatisifaction, Loneliness, Emptiness, Cast-Aside, Forgotten. Veil rushed forward, but in the five seconds of feeling the sudden shift, and getting to where she could support her friend was not an easy task to make. Her eyes stared down the mare as she approached her friend's side, but her gaze had shifted, there was fire in her galaxy eyes, and the star stood taller, the inner mechanics of her being filling her with the energy, the galaxy dust rolling off her in waves as she stared down this mare who was already causing her friend distress.

And then it was like a door shutting.

The mare was turning aside, was sending them out. SHe might not know the words, but she could read the emotions, the feelings that she was getting by the changes this conversation was taking, all of the in and out clues that let her understand what she couldn't audibly translate. She didn't let the woman in the door close it before she pushed herself between her friend and her aunt, ignoring her smaller stature for the need to protect. The star in her chest seemed to be firing off multiple cues and energy through her body, and her eyes met the mare's with disapproval, distaste, an age-old being silently judging and finding this being, this filth lower than dirt.

What her friend's aunt would have seen, as she was stared down, Veil didn't know.

But she also didn't care as she turned to herd her friend away, away from this house that sung to her as a prison with out chains. This home that was more of a shelter from the elements than a realm of safety. This wasn't the place for them. They would do better on their own. Her touches were gentle, reassuring, her muzzle nuzzling her friend's shoulder, tail flicking against her side in a reassuring gesture even as she walked them away until they were back at the streets. Her friend's head sank and Veil heard the soft sound of dismissal, pushing her head back up, shaking her head, her eyes warm, reassuring. At the noise, Veil shook her head again, shoving aside the regret, embarrassment, apology. It wasn't needed. Veil perked up, tossed back her mane, and looked all around at the abundance of homes, empty buildings and more, a reminder there would be other places for them to belong.

Her gaze returned to Jane's, reassuring, determined.

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Jane
Notes:: They shall survive. Together.
Breathin' in you give me air, I'm living on your solar flare
Could you be my super nova girl?

Artist Credit to Sephinta

Day Court Scholar
Female [she/her]  |  8 [Year 503 Summer]  |  18.3 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 28  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

jane

Jane walked in comfortable silence. It seemed to soak on her, the knowledge that Veil was silent but always a step away. There was still something unearthly about the way that Veil stepped through the world. Walking through the desert had been less traumatic, now that Jane had made herself accustomed to it through way of exposure therapy. Her eye was always on guard; her body always ready to freeze at any form of movement.

The Day Court reared its head, the dark windows seeming to linger on her motions. Poor little useless thing, they seemed to say. Poor little imposter, wanted by no one. Not even wanted by death, who seemed always to dodge her at the last second in the form of a sacrifice or latent social graces. Twice now had she gazed into the eyes of something that wanted to kill her, but hadn’t because of politics. 

The house of Aunt Vogelstein was a small grotto in a plaza far away from the centre, yet still touched by culture. The scent of flowers and honeysuckle stung her nostrils, accompanied by a bitter sense of spice. Up on the second floor was her window. She had been there last week, and yet it seemed unfamiliar to her. How strange time was, and how strange was she. Last week she had been someone else. Jane cast a glance to Veil- where had she been a week ago? Did it matter? How did time pass to a star? Jane felt a little pang of something nearing pain, but bordering on affection. 

Finally, she mustered the courage to face her social faux pas, only to have the door slammed in her face. Yet, for a moment between the door opening and the door being shut, Veil had forced herself between the two and rendered Aunt Vogelstein with a withering glance. 

For a moment, Jane felt relieved. The family had finally forsaken her.

But then there was a panic. What skills did she have? She was not wise, not skilled in any craft. She would be dead within the fortnight.

But she was not dead yet, and Veil was with her. Veil had been forsaken too, and she was still alive. And Jane leaned into the soft touches that Veil gifted her, each carrying its own meaning. Jane paused to nudge Veil back and thank her. They would figure it out together. Jane sighed softly. “We need to find a place to stay, then. We shouldn’t procrastinate. Shall we go left or shall we go right?” 

It didn’t matter. Veil was there with a particular gleam in her violet eye, and Jane was grateful for her company. Jane nudged Veil’s shoulder once more to thank her. 

@[Veil Nebula] / speaks /tysm for your patience! I think i finally have a bit of mojo left haha 

Vagabond Monk
Female [She/Her/They/Theirs]  |  8 [Year 503 Summer]  |  15.1 hh  |  Hth: 46 — Atk: 14 — Exp: 69  |    Active Magic: Stellar Divination  |    Bonded: N/A

V e i l N e b u l a
It felt so wrong.

No, not wrong, but off. Like what she was seeing when she stared upon the not so humble abode that Jane's family lived in was nothing but a carefully constructed image for the public. This was proven to the star when they cast her friend out, aside, as if she were an unwanted clump of space rock rather than a nebula of her own right, growing in strength and beauty and success, but not yet ready to advance into the next life. Hopefully when her friend was ready to emerge as a star, it wouldn't be as horrific as Veil's experience. Darkness. Pressure. Pain. She hated the memories.

She preferred the now.

Panic, fluttering of the heart. Beat. beat. beatbeat. beatbeat.beat beat. beatbeatbeatbeatbeatbeatbeat. She turned quickly to er friend, not sure how to help, but refusing to move away, instead showering her with gentle touches, reminding her that she was there too even when words would not aid her. There was a pause, before finally she was nudged back, and Veil smiled, eyes sparkling with galactic dust as she tilted her head towards her larger friend. The other spoke then, words not holding meaning to the star.

She tilted her head to the side.

One curled strand of her forelock floating over her eye, trailing galactic dust down her cheek as she was nudged again and she snorted in amusement, before turning to look around, first down one way and then the other. How did those on this rock spend there time, other than in an abode like what they'd been cast from. Did they need to consider other options as the sought a new refuge? Veil didn't know, so instead she tugged on a strand of her friend's mane before turning and heading randomly to the right, not sure what they'd find.

But they were together, so it'd be okay.

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Jane
Notes:: <3 Been a bit since I had to be in Veil's mindset. Might take me a few posts to fall into it proper :D

Day Court Scholar

art by vivihal
Jane
Jane felt slightly numb to the true effect of her expulsion. She was not miscommunicated, but there was the sensation of pressure in her chest. She turned to Veil, whose eyes were like stones of amethyst. Jane didn’t know what they reflected but she appreciated it; appreciated the gentle touches of Veil’s reassurance.

She would figure it out. She had to figure it out, especially now that Veil was at her side. Yet unsure of her own mortality, where would the young mare go without some care. What if she had been left by the ocean; the water broiling and vicious. Jane would never have found her now dearest friend. 

Jane spoke, but the words were yet beyond Veil’s comprehension. They would have to work on that, in the next few days, weeks, however long it took. In Veil’s company Jane found a well of understanding of that what was important, the emotional ties that Jane had grown up lacking. In many ways Veil reminded her of a sibling. Jane hummed to herself, in thought as she followed Veil. 

They wandered in the right direction, and Jane looked around for the occasional signs that flickered. Rooms to Let. There was no way she had the funds for any of them in this quarter, so she walked without glancing. 

Slowly the world changed, and they entered the more homely middle class of the Day Court. “We could find a boarding house, I suppose,” she muttered to herself. She didn’t want to know what gossip would make its way to her family back home, and she didn’t care to find out. The scent of pepper lingered in the air, and the buildings here were made of more temporary materials.

A few decades later, they would all be gone. She would be gone too, most likely. What of Jane, and what of Veil, the lovely, newly mortal Veil. Would she linger in Veil’s memory? She shook the thoughts away and stopped before a building that seemed clumsily stacked together. It overlooked a street of apple trees, and the shade was gentle. 

Jane looked at Veil and tipped her nose in the direction of the building. “Shall we go in?” She didn’t know if Veil would understand, but hopefully there would be some connection between the intention and the words.

Tagged; @Veil Nebula. Ooc; here ya go!

i've never felt more alone
it feels so scary getting old

Vagabond Monk

V e i l N e b u l a
There was a calmness that set in.

For Veil it swept over her, keeping her a strong and steady rock, and allowing herself to slip through and separate herself from the emotional cues she was getting from the universe, and focus instead on being a support for her friend. Her smile was soft, warm, reassuring, not because it needed to be, but because she could have faith. Or, perhaps less faith, and more confidence. She remembered those inner mechanics of the universe, always providing, always giving and pulling, a cycle that would only build you up more, bigger, better.

She was a perfect example of that.

She had been a Nebula, before condensing upon herself. She remembered the pressure, the strong force of gravity when she'd hit that protostar stage, the intense heat from that stage as a red giant, only to now be an odd stage of a shape defined planetary nebula. Something she'd never heard of. The heart of the star beating in her chest, her nebula colors on her coat, galactic dust radiating off of her body. One day she'd explode out again, and when she did, when that nuclear fuel that helps run this new body finally runs dry, who knows what would happen then. Would she start the cycle over? Or had she already began that process with the white dwarf star in place of her heart. Was her Planetary Nebula stage going to migrate into a basic Nebula once more, restart her cycle, over and over again, until she gets to the point, when the star in her chest is big enough she ends up a black hole?

But either way, she didn't fret on it.

She was a cycle, and that cycle was like the cycle that her friend was working through, where it would build you up, until you were something new, and something better. And Veil would walk every step of the way with her friend as well. Jane wouldn't make the trek alone. Something had been with Veil, she remembered the whispers faintly, the repeated command that she remember who she is, and she'd be the same strength for Jane, reminding her of who she is, and she will become stronger. Always stronger. She had infinite faith in her friend. They'd get through it together.

Or so she hoped.

Even Veil knew that there was much she didn't know about this world, much she wouldn't be able to understand. Jane was her guide just as much as Veil could be the strength, and it made her understand that when it comes down to it, she might not understand, might not know what to expect, what was to come from this point forward. A sudden bit of emotion filtered through Veil, determination, patience, understanding. And with a blink and a pause, Veil was able to assign it to her lack of understanding. As she'd done so far, Jane was seeming to put her communication complications on her own shoulders.

The star wondered why it was so important.

But she had seen it used a lot so far on this planet. Communication for so much. Even as they walked through the town, it was as if the other was seeing things that meant nothing to the crash-landed star. But as they moved into another area, the buildings seemed to change around them. Her friend spoke, and she tilted her head, curious on what the sounds entail, but she could still feel some lingering emotions, and she nudged her friend before an odd scent hit her. Sharp. Tangy. Clogging her nostrils, and in that brief moment, the star blinked and shook her head, before violently sneezing at the unfamiliar spice.

Was this an attack on them?

She rubbed her muzzle against a forelimb, blowing out a puff of air that had her galactic dust-created fetlocks dancing as she wrinkled her nose and peered up at her friend in confusion from beneath the curly fringe of her forelock. She was gathering social cues. Her friend didn't seem worried, hardly seeming to notice at all, and it allowed the star to gather that this must be normal, not a threat, just a startle to her. She straightened slowly, even as she made a slight face and let out another puff of air in slight discomfort. Sharpness to her poor nuzzle, indeed.

How odd this rock was.

Her friend suddenly stopped, and Veil looked around before looking up at the nearby building, as they stood in front of it. Jane nudged towards it, her muzzle swinging towards the door, and there was a sudden hesitation, but it was laid over a determined eagerness? No, not eager, but similar. A destination to be reached because it needed to be, not because it wanted to be? Either way, entry appeared to be the goal. She wondered what sound represented that desire. Welcoming? Friendly? Homecoming? Hesitation. Uncertainty. Fear. Regret. Pain. Fear. Homecoming? The emotions in the air were stifling, some from her, some from what she had picked up from Jane, some from those who by happenstance merely glanced their way. But she could pick up enough to understand what Jane was suggesting, and she started forward, pushing open the door with her muzzle, the galactic dust shedding off her body as she folded her wings tightly against her body so they wouldn't clip on the sides of the entry.

She didn't hesitate, galaxy eyes curious.

She looked around the room, moving to the side for Jane to enter and lead the way, her expression curious, as she allowed the galactic dust to harbor in her chest more, gathering in her body, so only the faint bleeding of the dust would pool off her flight feathers, her hooves, the ends of her mane and tail, her form taking a more concrete shape, less obscured around the edges, making herself a little more lifelike in hopes of her not being the reason to be sent away, a slender mare with an otherworldly design still had a tendency to stand out though.

She continued to hide how out of place she felt.

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Jane
Notes:: A little all over the place. I forgot how hard she is to write, I think I put a little too much in 'thought form' rather than 'emotional context form' x.x

Day Court Scholar

art by vivihal
Jane
Jane was aware of her friend, even as the changing circumstances threatened to overwhelm her. They could, the drama of what had happened was very real in a way that could hunt her at any moment. But there was also a sense of resolution, that it was now time for her to make her own way. When her eyes caught her own reflection in the glass of a passing merchant, she could nearly see the make of her mother’s face- strong, aristocratic, brutal in its beauty- dripping away.

She imagined that she would be such too. Maybe she’d be a milliner, like her mother had pitied in bedtime stories. Pins would prick her lips until the black flesh was marred with scars, exhaustion would bleed the youth from her eyes. Maybe she would marry a normal man, shame the family more just to put the boat in. 

But house Vogelstein was there. She thought of the coming festivities- at least, she thought they were still happening. Jane remembered her family as a proud one that sheltered its scandals. They may speak among themselves, but to her and to the streets they would bathe her in their affections.

Fuck ‘em. Fuck the lot of them. Jane’s hoof kicked into the earth subconsciously, as it built up in a hard yet reassuring way.

Veil needed her. There lived multitudes of knowledge and wisdom in the mare’s eyes of which Jane could hardly dream, but she lived in a form that ate now. A form that felt friendship, that cared for Jane in whatever deep way that went beyond what blood had tied Jane for so long. She’d be damned if the innocent, caring Veil went out on the streets for Jane’s warm bed and falsely friendly servants. 

Jane would need a job. That would be the first thing she would do in the morning, Jane told herself. In her current state it was unlikely that Veil could work, and Jane worried that others might abuse the tenderness of her silence. Tonight, however, they must find a bed and some dinner. A bit of coins were Jane’s companion, the leftovers of her valley south. For now, it could do. 

~

The change of scenery didn’t seem to affect Veil much, but the pepper did. Jane’s small friend bowed in a sneeze, and Jane felt a small wash of affection. What a mortal act, what a little normality that it was so easy to ignore. “Bless you,” she said as the mare sneezed, and a friendly gleam shone in the brown mare’s eyes. But it was certainly uncomfortable, and she tapped Veil’s shoulder in comfort.

Jane continued until they came upon a small house, a fumble of a building that jutted out of the earth as though it had been born there. It didn’t seem so much that it had been put together by workers, but that it had crawled its own way up out of the soul of Novus to find its way to downtown Solterra. 

Veil pushed forward without hesitation, and Jane felt admiration for her companion. Bravery, loyalty, these things emanated from the Nebula. Maybe I can be a nebula on earth. She and I, in each other’s orbit for a little while. The earthy mare, streaked with the lines that marked mine walls, called out until a figure came down.

~

A grey mare, old and obviously living on charity, came down the stairs; back leg dragging from some old e. She was a unicorn, her horn humming with that old glory that must have once marked her a beauty. If her eyes were to believed, she did not imagine that beauty gone. 

“So sorry to disturb you, Ma’am, I saw that there was a sign for tenants wanted on the door.” Jane pulled out her money immediately, but the unicorn’s eyes shimmered with an irritated arrogance, as though Jane were bribing her. 

“Women shouldn’t be without chaperones or men.”

“Would you rather that we were with men without marriage?” Jane’s voice was sweet, innocent, but there was no doubt that the both of them knew what she was saying. 

The unicorn scoffed, her horn bobbing a little beyond her skull. The white gleam of the sun through a window caught the piece of keratin, but there was as much power in that piece of bone as in Jane’s markings. Beautiful yet void. “You talk a lot of nerve for someone who’s looking for a room. I know your type- rich girl fallen from grace. You’re all the same, and I know that if not me then you will keep on wandering downtown until you find yourself in a whorehouse.”

Jane rankled a bit at the insult, but she knew better. She had heard enough petty insults in her time to put up with them. “Sorry, we just need a room for the night. Like you said, you know the type. Enough time for a job, and then I can afford a place higher or… elsewhere.”

The mare laughed loud, but it was not quite wholesome. “For a night, then. For a night.”

~

The room swirled with upturned dust, even though it was not a rarely frequented room. Along with sweat came the scent of sweating hides, despair, falling. Jane ignored it, instead falling onto one of the beds. There was absolutely nothing in the room, aside from two beds that seemed a breath away from breaking. The walls were made of wood that let the light through the cracks, and she hoped that they wouldn’t be here come winter. 

“This is it for the night, Veil! But first. Something to eat.” She snatched up her coins once more and winked as she headed for the door, using a key to lock it behind them. 

Tagged; @Veil Nebula. Ooc; omg i missed her

Vagabond Monk

V e i l N e b u l a
Veil could feel it bubbling in her, a sense of worry.

Worry. Concern. Affection. Worry. Worry. So much worry. Not to mention the underlying heartbreak, disappear, forlorn acceptance. None of it really for her, but rather for her friend. She couldn't help but feel them for what poor Jane must be going through. To be turned away, sent away, Lost. Cold. Endless. Lost. Lost. Cold. Homesick. Cold. Black. Black. Dark. Dark and Cold. Dark and Black. Black and Cold. Cold. Lost. Lost. Veil forced those thoughts back, the memories of the endless years when she'd journeyed solo through space. Alone, she had been alone for so, so long.

She wouldn't let that happen to Jane.

Strength. Friendship. Yellow. Warmth. Love. Support. Affection. No, she wouldn't let Jane face any of it alone. She might not have much to offer, not with the way she couldn't seem to even comprehend the communication methods of these beings, but she could at least offer support and never wavering loyalty and strength - right? Just as Jane was taking her under her wing, Veil would be a pillar of strength at her side.

She wouldn't face it alone, not if Veil could help.

They continued through the city, the town changing as they crossed what Veil may one day see as a social class segregation. This area seemed more run down, plain. Simple. But the odd sharp tang to her nose was not expected, not wanted. That Jane had show friendliness, had made gentle noises, reassuring sounds, caring sounds - Veil assumed it wasn't anything dangerous, particularly that she was offered a tap of comfort. No, not just comfort. The emotions swirled, Reassurance, amusement, friendship, affection, comfort, care, gold and brown. Strong. Comfortable. Friendship. It was a relief to know she didn't have to worry about it being a form of an attack.

Soon they seemed to settle on a location.

Veil didn't hesitate to head in, didn't dally or worry - such thoughts foreign to a being as old as she, who was so sure of herself, even if she was uncertain of her surroundings. Perhaps it was more foolishness than a sureness of herself. Forgetting she was in a more mortal form, rather than the galactic, celestial being of before. Soon a creature came down - an old female, with a long stick on her forehead. Veil was quite as Jane made to set up their board, a quick exchange . . .

Or it should have been.

Veil's magic gave her the briefest of warning, of hesitation, of irritation, of perceived insult. She tried to move forward, but it was already to late, as the mare's aged speech came out, and Jane was already responding with sweet words that dripped with a borderline acidic tone to Veil's sensitive information gathering. There was a war of wills going on, and Veil couldn't understand the sounds enough to follow along. But that didn't mean she'd stand in the corner. She straightened, standing tall as she moved to Jane's side - though her 'tall' was still short compared to her friend. It still would present a unite front, a reminder in case she needed it, that Jane wouldn't be alone.

The deja vu returned, stronger.

And then it happened. She didn't know what the noises meant, but she could see that an insult had been thrown, that Jane had taken it, and instantly the star wanted to protect, standing slightly in front of her friend, staring down the female, trying to remember any of the words to say to get this moving forward, to not let this fall apart on Jane's head. What noises. What . . . wait. That one noise, the one that filled her with comfort, a sense of home. Of endless possibilities. Of gentle twinkling stars and comfortable talks with the universe. The other mare said it first though, and the word echoed in Veil's brain. Nuh-eye-tuh. At least she didn't need to try to step in after all.

But the fake laughter was alarming.

She didn't know emotions could be fake. That the joyous sound she had heard from others. Some belly deep, others lilting like a melody, some breezy but always warm . . . this sound, this joyous one was not joyous. Sure the right general symbols were present, but it wasn't the same. It was fake, broken, not real. It sounded dirty. Wrong. So wrong. But they at least got a room.

Even if it was off too.

She looked around it, trying to ignore the feeling of the building, the despair, the struggling, the desolate acceptance, the giving up that hung heavy in the air. She tuned it out to see Jane fall onto one of the two odd things in the room. Veil glanced at her before touching her own hoof to the weird rectangle that must be for her. Her hoof sank, the texture thick and odd, with a slight five, reminding her off a sort of foliage. What was this? Jane had fallen on hers, so Veil hesitated to lay down, front limbs coiling as she leaned into the odd stiff fluff, sniffing it in confusion, before she heard her friend suddenly speak.

The first half of her name, it caught her attention.

Her eyes turned towards her friend, before seeing her turn to leave, and Veil blinked before scrambling to her feet, to get off the odd rectangle, only to get stumbled by the odd texture, the give of it, and stumbled, tripping off of the bed, causing her forelock to fall in disarray when she'd been forced to quickly try to splay her limbs to catch herself. Blinking, she looked back up to her friend, before smiling curiously, to see where she would be taken to next, and wondering what she might learn now. 

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Jane
Notes:: The first version I wrote, that my horrid internet connection ate was amazing, this one not so much :(

Day Court Scholar

art by vivihal
Jane
Accepting her lot as easily as she could, Jane was glad for the mattress beneath her. Firm and unforgiving, on frames that seemed tinkered together by the hopes and prayers of those who had fallen before her, they allowed some small respite from the anxieties that plagued her subconscious as well as her conscious. She was a court-trained mare, all Jane knew how to do was gossip and look pretty. Stand silent as long as the men looked your way, bite when the women did. She knew nothing of the ways of merchants and she had no skills that she could sell to keep her young (young? So infernally old and yet as young and fresh as the new redcurrants that had burst in certain gardens.) 

Jane tried more for her own sake than Veil’s to quell the fear. It didn’t help anyone to panic, this much she had learnt, and Jane had faith that she would come out on top. Maybe she would even find someone to lend her a hand up-

No. She wasn’t even worth charity anymore. She had been, two hours ago, the poor unruly girl by Evis who had shamed her father’s family to the point of being forced to leave. Jane, who had been taken in on family obligation rather than any real love for her. Jane looked across the room to Veil, who seemed quite fascinated by the concept of beds. Her hoof, immaculate and otherworldly, pressed into the ratty mattress that had probably been home to more than just equines, before tumbling like a foal into the bed. Veil’s legs seemed to concave beneath her, and Jane felt again that sense of trust between them.

Veil was her family now. We’re going to figure this out, Stargirl. Just you wait; a few bad months and then we’ll be dining with Adonai and Ira. Bitter spite pushed Jane from her bed. If she wanted to reach Adonai’s dinner table then she would need to eat for tonight first. Tomorrow, she would go down to the markets and look for whatever work was available. Jane would need to take care that her gentlewoman learning would not mark her either a fool or a coward, but it surely wouldn’t be too hard. 

Jane turned to see Veil stumbling out of the bed, her body gangly and new like a child. Jane reached out to catch her weight; large brown flank pushing up against the Nebula’s effervescent feathers. “Careful, Veil, you’re a horse now. We bleed down here.” She nudged her nose into Veil Nebula’s shoulder like an older sister before stepping back.

Then she went out into the street, leaving a coin on the counter before waiting for Veil to join her in the street.

Tagged; @Veil Nebula. Ooc; she and veil have the Best bond

Vagabond Monk

V e i l N e b u l a
Odd. Uncertain. Brown. Yellow. Yellow.

There was since of unfamiliar agitation as she looked at the mattress, before testing it slowly. SHe had expected something softer, so the firmness was unexpected. Unexpected. Surprise. Black. Blue. Shock. She blinked her eyes, clearing the emotions away as she tumbled forward with a startled sound escaping her muzzle. She blinked, before feeling a set of eyes, and turning to meet Jane's gaze from her awkward collapse. A bubbly sound left her, Warm. Bright. Yellow, Pink, White. Surprise, Happy! Happy Surprise. Bright. The bubbly sound was unexpected, but she couldn't stop the bubbly giggles as she tried to right herself, before fumbling off of the bed.

It wasn't very graceful, for a star.

Instantly Jane had steadied her and Veil smiled warmly in thanks, tilting her head curiously at the sounds made, knowing they were meant for her when her name-sound was given again. Veil, that was her, but she didn't know the other sounds, she hoped she'd learn them sooner rather than later though. She moved to stand by her friend, ears perked forward as galactic dust bled from her forelock, traveling down her cheek. Jane left, the room, the building, and Veil didn't hesitate to follow after, her steps light. As she stepped onto the street, she stretched slightly, wings expanding out briefly, shading both her and her friend, as feathers slid against each other, falling in a proper order after her tumble onto the bed. Refolding them carefully against her side, briefly snuffling a few feathers that still didn't align right, she turned to her friend.

Curious. Excitement. New. Adventure? New?

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Jane
Notes:: Not my longest lol, but we need to problem solve how these two are gonna earn money lolol

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »