Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - so this is what it feels like || THE SOL FESTIVAL

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Kaiju [PM] Posts: 42 — Threads: 17
Signos: 215
Day Court Merchant
Male [he / him]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  19 hh  |  Hth: 18 — Atk: 22 — Exp: 36  |    Active Magic: Heat Manipulation  |    Bonded: Enyo (Indoraptor)

IT MUST BE LONELY
when you're up there looking down

Solterra had been too silent , the sun scorched desert even resting too still , the Sandwyrms not stirring from the depths .

It had been a land that even Leviathan had itched to leave once more . He had done it , once , when Maxence had been grabbed by an Teryr , lifted away in the midst of their people , never to be seen again . They had been lost , and maybe that had been the decline . The passing of the throne from hoof to hoof , until it's a blur . He recalls turning and not wanting to come back , but something had dragged him back not much longer after that . How he had stayed , watched . Seen Solterra crumble , seen the very foundations of Novus even shudder apart .

What had their gods done , but watch them scramble ?

He recalls the satisfying ringing sensation of his hoof on the golden statue , and the annoyance that Solis hadn't answered him ; but of course he wouldn't answer . When did gods ever get involved with their people , except to ask them to beg for forgiveness ? To act as if they did them such great service , when they did nothing in reality ?

He scowls , and suddenly shakes his head a little , large and rounded ear flicking as he feels sharp teeth gnawing a little on it , and he grumbles . No , they don't do great service , but they take joy in making him suffer . " My ear isn't a chew toy ." He grumbles it , and the small dinosaur on his head chirrups at him , tiny claws pushing past his fur and pricking at his skin as she wiggles down onto his skull a little . She's only the size of a chicken , but his head is her favorite place now he guesses .

Leviathan turns himself and walks among the people now that are dancing and laughing , the music vibrant , sharp . Drums and strings that are struck and more homelike than he would ever imagine , the festival drawing out the citizens and bringing a spark of hope he'd never thought he would see in their faces .

It's a step in the right direction , he supposes . He's just baffled it's him doing it . What a strange feeling .

@ anyone that wants to join !

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 64 — Threads: 7
Signos: 50
Vagabond Tactician
Female [She/Her/Hers/They/Theirs]  |  10 [Year 501 Spring]  |  18.2 hh  |  Hth: 7 — Atk: 13 — Exp: 29  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

P a n g a e a

Like a gift from the heavens, it was easy to tell
It was love from above, like it saved me from hell

The creature wasn't sure why she was here. In fact, Pangaea wasn't certain if she should be here. This place was suffocating. So many bodies, like a feast for a grander, larger predator. Especially as others continued to grab ale, and snacks, hardly caring, just partaking. Was this land really so peaceful to allow for such frivolous behavior? Did they really have no fears of their livelihood? Why? How? What was it like to grow up in a way that you didn't have to worry about where your next meal came from. She remembered those days, tumbling out of the nest, desperately hunting small insects and bugs, snapping them up as quick as she could, before killing a many more to feet to her ailing brother. Jurassic struggled those days, their parents rarely around, leaving their hatchlings to fend for themselves.

Pangaea and Jurassic had been the only survivors of that clutch, and she'd worked hard to try to keep her brother alive . . . there wasn't a day she didn't miss his quiet strength. But, living in such a cut-throat world, growing up where it was eat or be eaten, she still didn't know how she was alive now. Sometimes she wondered if she had actually died, and this was whatever version of heaven she had found. But, this also couldn't be heaven. Because she was here alone. Duellum was still missing. Her brother was still dead. Tyran was still dead. It was still just her. Her alone.

Except, she wasn't alone now. She had been led to this stupid celebration. With these happy-go-lucky fools. All for a little bit of meat (so she didn't wanna hunt, it took a lot to flush prey out and kill it. Especially when they tried to fight back). She had only just recently arrived, and already she was nervous about showing up. She stood against the wall near the door, her body already angled towards the exit, even as she scented the air, rolling the scents to the roof of her mouth as she breathed in. Glancing around slowly, she forced herself to put on a brave face, and she walked in.

The click, click of her talons on the flooring almost had her right out the door. For a brief moment, the celebration shifted, white-washed walls, too-bright lights. The sterile smell of the complex they had kept her in, trapped, separated from Duellum, dealing with prodding. Testing. She shook her head, the soft thump of amber and gold bands in her hair, a solid and comforting weight against her neck. She forced herself to calm. She wasn't back there. She had escaped. She was free again. And she was hungry. All around her the laughter, the dancing, it felt odd, it felt chaotic, and she continued to want to escape.

Then, there in the rush, there was a scent that nearly stopped her in her tracks. She hadn't smelt anything like it in a long time, not since she was home among humidity, heavy-leafed plants, with unearthly growls and calls that echoed through the wet forest. Dromoesaur, but not quite? She turned, following the scent, the want for food dismissed, as she tried to see where it was coming from. It couldn't be Duellum. He'd have found her immediately, she knew in her heart that he was likely searching for her himself, as well. No, this had a different tang than her bonded. And then, she saw the tiny creature, on the shoulder of the large one she'd seen at the meeting. The king of this place.

Her gaze was cautious, untrusting, reptilian slitted eyes watching, waiting to decide how safe it might to be approach, to see the tiny dinosaur on his head now, gnawing on his ears. Despite being frozen, her claws clacked, tapping a slight rhythm before remembering she was alone, there was no signalling for Duellum to scout. Shaking her head slightly, she watches as he moves, among his people, watching them, and finally she approaches. She slides through the crowds with the ease of a predator, knowing she's drawing gazes, an odd being not seen much of. She can't blame them, her species doesn't exist her. The dinosaurs of this land had died out long before many of the species she was familiar with, her species as well, had ever evolved.

She approaches with a casualness that doesn't betray the discomfort of being surround by so many, her gaze on the dinosaur first before finally looking up to the slightly taller stallion, "You are Leviathan, are you not? The king of this land?" The vagabond asked calmly, "I don't mean to interrupt your . . . browsing, but I'm rather intrigued by your bonded." Her gaze glanced back up at the creature, and she refused to let that since of homesickness enter her gaze, she knew better than to show weakness, "My name is Pangaea," She added, "And your bonded is the first saurian I've seen since I was torn from my home world." And damn her luck that it was someone else's bonded, and not her own.

She had fire in her soul, it was easy to see

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Leviathan
Notes: Considering I had so much hope that Pan would be cynical, cold and bitter, I really do enjoy this more calm, and just distant creature she's becoming.

how the devil himself could be pulled out of me
There were drums in the air as she started to dance
Every soul in the room keeping time with their hands 
and we sang

Artwork ©Sephinta

Day Court Merchant
Male [he / him]  |  Immortal [Year 496 Summer]  |  19 hh  |  Hth: 18 — Atk: 22 — Exp: 36  |    Active Magic: Heat Manipulation  |    Bonded: Enyo (Indoraptor)

IT MUST BE LONELY

It's a good thing he is not a vain King , or vain in general . He's long past the time where he preened to look pretty , back when he had wings and was doused in the hues of red and black . When he was a creature raised from hell itself practically and had a legacy to carry , had to be something perfect . A father breathing down his neck , until his wings had been torn from their sockets , wrenched from his very back by the sister he had shared a womb with .

The pain would never be lived down , it would be a mental scar that would forever be a turning point . An Absolute Point in time . It had carved out a new path for him , and had begun the journey to where he is now .

So as the small Indoraptor chews on his large ears , repeatedly attempting to pierce them with her teeth , he can only sigh a little and allow her to do it . It doesn't exactly hurt , and it isn't much of an annoyance . He only tips his head just a little to keep her from getting comfortable , to get her attention and hear her squeak , and feel the connection somewhere in his head . She's still an infant , so it's more feelings than words at the moment , a spark of joy and happiness , a shrill squeal in his head of laughter almost as she digs her claws in and grabs a hold of his mane with her fingers and wiggles along his skull and hunkers down .

It's been a long time since he's entertained anyone small . Any children he's had are long gone from his life , likely dead . He's lived a very long life , and he doubts any of them have ever cared to return to him in any way .

He doesn't much blame them , either .

There's a shift in her joy , turning to caution as her nostrils flare and her head lifts , the pin feathers in her skull shifting and her clawed hand reaching up to itch at them before she hunkers down into his mane as if she can hide , baring fangs and teeth , hissing low . A stranger , danger . The sense coming off of her is something like that .

She hasn't met anyone other than him , and while he's been avoiding bumping into anyone , there's someone approaching right now , and she doesn't like it .

Large ears swivel , and he can feel the small trickle of blood from one of them as he turns his gaze towards the stranger approaching , lifting his head to a little more dignified way . He might as well try to act a King , shouldn't he ? " I am Leviathan , yes . Sovereign , King , whichever . " His shoulders rise and fall , and he arches a phantom brow a moment . This one is certainly different , but Novus is home to many strange equine , so he isn't too shocked .

" Pangaea . My bonded is Enyo , and she's naught but an infant right now , still growing and learning . She was a ... gift from Solis , the deity of the court . " He doesn't mention that he doubts it was a gift more than the fact that Solis is enjoying watching the exasperation Leviathan has to go through on the daily basis with the small dinosaur now .

The price to pay for kicking a statue , he supposes .

Petty gods can be petty .

" Your home , you say ? You must be far from here then ."

@Pangaea
don't mind him , or her slkjfslkdjf

Vagabond Tactician
Female [She/Her/Hers/They/Theirs]  |  10 [Year 501 Spring]  |  18.2 hh  |  Hth: 7 — Atk: 13 — Exp: 29  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

P a n g a e a

Even from her slow approach, she could see the moment the young Saurian was aware of her when the playful creature shifted in position. Hunkering down in the mane she clung to. For a moment, there is a slight twitch to Pangaea's features, an amusement from the time when she was but a hatchling, so small, so scared of the world, hunkering down in the nest with her brother, hidden around the corpses of the siblings not as strong as she. But she'd also learned quickly that hiding didn't help. She had to switch to the offensive very early in life to stay alive. Unlike this little hatchling, Pan didn't have anyone in her corner. Her brother was weak when they were younger, it was her that had to keep them both safe. Which meant getting into scraps young.

Such harder times then . . . it's odd, almost, to think she missed them. But that was then, this is now. And now she was approaching. She could smell the blood in the air, a trickle, a slight puncture to one of the stallion's large ears, as he turns towards her. Pangaea doesn't hesitate to take him in, her gaze sweeping over him. But it's not a look of lust, rather a cataloging one, assessing his risk to her own health. A judgment of how dangerous he might be. Taking stock of others was prioritized in her mind, to know the biggest threat in an area. While his head lifts in dignity, his words lack it.

It's a little amusing, truly, and she allows a faint dip of her head, acknowledging his words, even as he seems to take stalk of her, before introducing his bonded as Enyo, confirming her assumptions that it was new to the world. "I'm afraid I'm not so familiar with the gods of this 'Novus', Solis, you say." She replied quietly, before nodding, cataloging the information as potentially important, "She's quite the little hatchling. A raptor of some sort, yes? But not one I immediately recognize." The mare mused quietly, before tilting her head at his question.

Far from here indeed. Her gaze grows more guarded, however, protective of the memories, protective of the emotions that connected her to the world she came from, "Yes, very far from home." The swirling portal energy that had carried her from land to land. It hadn't shown up since her escape from that horrible place, the white walls the bright lights, the cruel scientists and generals. "Where I come from, Saurians, such as your Enyo aren't so uncommon." A flash of fang from a muzzle filled with serrated teeth, a fond smile at the memory of her home, "We're the dominant species there, truly." She added, roping herself more on the saurian side than the Equus of her heritage.

She paused, briefly, careful to control the look on her face, to keep her expression calm, collective, "You haven't, by chance, seen any other saurians around? In Novus in general? A smaller raptor, green with red feathers and markings?" She asked, keeping her tone casual, avoiding inflicting any personal feelings into the question. She doubted the answer would be yes, but she felt the need to ask, just in case. Just in case he had, in case he could point her in the right direction. In case she didn't have to feel alone and out of place by herself anymore.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Leviathan
Notes: <3

and we sang

Artwork ©Sephinta

Day Court Merchant

IT MUST BE LONELY

Maybe he really needs to find a Regime to help him , or maybe a co-ruler . Solo ruling has never been a strength of his in the fact that he lacts the tact and respect to temper his tongue . He's never been too keen on it , either . He's too used to the battlefield , not to the royal halls and balls . Though Solterra lacks the fanciness that most of the other courts have , and he's grateful for that . They're a little more native to their lands , a little more grounded . Fanciness never suited them , and he wants to at least keep it that way . No silver spoons , only proud people .

His shoulders give a small shrug , something that he seems rather fond of doing , and he feels the shift of Enyo as she slides a little further back , only her eyes visible in the tangle of his mane as her body hides along his nape and her claws dig into his fur . He snorts a little , feeling the unease from the small bonded . " I wouldn't know myself . I found her egg in an old shack around here , surrounded by the bones of a Teryr , but she's no Teryr . They're winged . "

Her claws poke into his neck and he wants to itch at it , but he settles for a soothing sensation in their bond , settling her just a little . Enough to stop her fidgeting , and her hissing . Which sounds funny coming from his mane from a tiny set a teeth that keep glinting . His own bare in a small grin , with nothing but golden fangs showing a moment , disappearing the next . " You'll find Solterra has its own variety of beasties . Enyo here is just one of the newer ones , I suppose . " Sandwyrms and Teryrs are a normal sight , really , but they've all grown up in a land where they've had to fight the land itself to maintain their home . To survive is king .

He shifts his weight , relaxing a little and tilting his head a little at her description before it slowly shakes , making sure not to dislodge the small Indoraptor among his mane . " Not with that description , no . But Solterra is home to a lot , like I said . You might find one like that one day around here , but you best stay from the Canyon and off the Mors Desert in certain spots , there's bigger creatures out there that might find one like that to be a snack . So if it's smart , it would avoid those areas . "

@Pangaea

Vagabond Tactician

P a n g a e a

There were many things about Solterra that had drawn Pangaea to it's borders. It was rougher than many of the other Courts, the beings of this land a little more proud, a little more focus on power, on strength. There was less show, less flash, less need to be proper, less need to be . . . soft. Perhaps not the best word, but the best Pan could place to it. For a mare coming from the places she had, it was the best explanation she had. But that didn't mean she was ready for the crowded party atmosphere she'd stumbled upon. She felt like a croc out of water, a pteranodon trying to run on land, a mosasaur trying to fly. Out of her element, out of her zone.

Perhaps that was why she broke her own rule to keep her distance, to grab a bite, look around and leave. She'd broken her rule at the site of the familiar creature, familiar species, the first of her kind in this world, she'd seen. She couldn't keep herself from approaching the little beast, the tiny hatchling, even if it meant having to communicate with another, if it caused the tiny creature unease. Which was also hard to see, but understandable. Reptiles tended to be fairly cautious in general, she knew that well herself, and that hatchling wasn't odd for showing those same traits. But dear god, it made her miss Duellum all the more. They'd been attached to the hip since the rest of their pack had been killed by those damn Dionychus. Taken out before she and Tyran had been able to offer proper assistance. And Tyran, he hadn't seen the big one hiding in the foliage. She was too late to warn him.

The stallion spoke, drawing her mind from the memories, and she allowed herself to focus, even as she nodded, What the fuck is a Teryr? No, she would need to be proper, this is a king, you don't lose your priority for a king, right? She can't start cussing in front of him? That's how it was with people of power here? Respect, right? "Teryr? I'm not familiar with that name." She admitted, frowning slightly, "Winged, are they like a pteradon of some sort?" She glanced a little more closely at the tiny creature hiding in his mane, even as she seemed to stop hissing, "She reminds me a lot of a dromoesaur, just not sure the type. Not a Velociraptor, they're a little lighter, leaner, even as hatchlings. Duellum . . . full grown doesn't even reach as tall as my knee." Why was it painful to even say her bonded's name? It wasn't like he was dead.

Just missing.

The idea of a variety of beasts and creatures in Solterra had her curious, a slight gleam entering her eyes at the idea of the hunting opportunities. The chance to flush and drive, kill and eat. She forces those thoughts back for the moment though. Not the time, not the place. "I'll have to make sure I become more acquainted with the kinds of creatures in Solterra then." She mused, before she finally got the information she was looking for, well not looking for; but needed. Duellum wasn't seen . . . She forced her expression to remain the same, even if she felt it in her heart, the deflation, the disappointment. Where was he?

Instead she shrugged it off, "Unfortunate, but cannot be help. I'll just have to keep looking," The information of the Canyon and Mors Desert where insightful though, "I assume that is where the Teryr you spoke of earlier comes from? What other creatures are out there." She asked, before frowning at the caution, of avoiding the areas if smart, "Duellum isn't the foolish type, if he senses danger he wouldn't be there . . . ." She immediately dismissed, before shaking her head, dismissing the feeling of worry worming its way into her heart.

Duellum was all she had left, she couldn't help but worry. "Anything else I should know about Solterra if I intend to stick around for a bit? Scary beasts in the Canyon and Desert, a mysterious dinosaur egg you just happen upon. I'm not gonna run into a mosasaur in the Oasis am I?" She asked, her lips quirking just slightly, eyeing the stallion curiously for what more she can learn from him about his Domain.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Leviathan
Notes: <3

and we sang

Artwork ©Sephinta