Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - My heart is a battlefield

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Thread Modes

Played by Offline Chaosy [PM] Posts: 76 — Threads: 15
Signos: 0
Night Court Medic
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  8 [Year 502 Summer]  |  16 hh  |  Hth: 8 — Atk: 12 — Exp: 33  |    Active Magic: Body-Water Manipulation  |    Bonded: N/A

Look Forward... Trust Yourself... Find Peace

Time seemed to slip away, the little mare focusing on her duties as a healer. The new magic that sparkled in her blood made her job interesting. Perhaps something she should bring up to her mentor. If anyone could help her to master it, it was Lu. Rising from her bed, Pol found herself sorting through her stores and humming softly.

Warming water, she selected a few various herbs to put together for a pair of teas. Shaking her head, the young mare danced through the simple production of her thoughts. Selecting two larger cups that she could take with her, she began settled in to make the tea satchels.

For herself, Pol mixed mint, chamomile, and feverfew. Something that would help with the arthritis in her tail and calm the nerves of the little mare. She had yet to see Lu since meeting Liatris and she was still struggling with how to tell her mentor. For Lu, she struggled a bit to sort out a mix that would help. Feverfew for sure, a dash of chamomile, a bit of ginger, a dash of mullein for her cough. Rather than her typical mint for a base, Pol used a chocolate mint plant to create the body of the tea for Lu. 

Once the water had heated, she poured it over the satchels in the mugs and began her trek to the clinic. She had a bag of various dried herbs to boost Lu’s stocks, as well as the teas and a warm blanket that she had found in the markets. The colors were rich and reminiscent of an aurora in the night sky. 

Reaching the clinic, Pol used one of her front hooves to knock on the door. The little mare waited patiently for her mentor to open the door, telekinetic magic holding the two teas as she took a quick sip of hers.

"Speaking"
@Luvena
Notes: She still hasn’t decided how to broach subject, so she is avoiding XD <3

CREDIT to Akatsukislilwolf (offsite)

Played by Offline Lullivy [PM] Posts: 225 — Threads: 37
Signos: 1,285
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/her/hers]  |  15 [Year 496 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 3 — Atk: 3 — Exp: 51  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Picoro (Sloth)

Luvena

She was not a fan of the cold weather making itself known, every day of fall brought novus creeping closer to winter, and winter was a storm Luvena always dreaded reliving. She had only gotten back from the citadel a few hours ago, having come back early so that she could rest at the clinic awhile before it opened. 

With colder weather came three things: 
One, her health always started to take a turn for worse days. Though throughout the year she was never in peak shape, good and bad days scattered throughout, winter seemed to throw them at her frequently. Most days she was tired, and a little feverish, the worst of them were nearly unbearable. 
Two, the clinic always grew far busier, as the same held true for most citizens, just not to the same degree. Colic and pneumonia were rampant throughout the cold weather. Strangles too, though she would outsource those to other healers around the capital, though she wanted to help, she couldn’t withstand the risk.
Three, herbs stopped growing plentifull, retreating back into the earth as the cold weather withered their leaves. Though this year she’d had help finding more to build up the stores for winter. 

She was still nestled under a few pelts as she heard Pols soft tap on the door. With a sign she carefully rose to her hooves, letting Yara steady her for just a moment. “Come in dear” she called, drawing the curtains back, one of the fur throws still draped over her withers.

@Polar North
Table © Camy

Night Court Medic
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  8 [Year 502 Summer]  |  16 hh  |  Hth: 8 — Atk: 12 — Exp: 33  |    Active Magic: Body-Water Manipulation  |    Bonded: N/A

Pol entered the clinic, her eyes finding her beloved mentor as she did. Stepping fully in, she closed the door behind her and offered the elder mare the cup of tea that she had made for her. "Good morning, Lu. How are you feeling today?" She asked softly as she began to settle the supplies where they belonged and then turned back to offer the mare her gift as well. 

It had been busy, but the younger mare had noticed that the older one was starting to show the signs that she wasn’t feeling as great lately. It troubled her. That much was obvious after her trip to see her sister. Shaking her head slightly, she stepped closer. Thoughts of a certain conversation swept back to her, curiosity that she was not certain how to broach without revealing more than she was ready to share. 

"How is Israfel taking to leading? I hope that your wisdom is enough to lead her in a positive direction." She commented, keeping the conversation light and unassuming as she brought out the blanket to offer it to Lu.

"Speaking"
@Luvena
Notes: <3

Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/her/hers]  |  15 [Year 496 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 3 — Atk: 3 — Exp: 51  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Picoro (Sloth)

Luvena

She turned towards the door as her apprentice entered the clinic, now flooded with warm light from the window. She accepted the tea from Pol with a quick dip of her head. “Oh I’m well” she replied stubbornly, taking a sip. The taste of chocolate and mint washed over her tongue, though it wasn’t enough to mask the feverfew and chamomile. She didn’t miss the bitterness of mullein either. It was hard to get such things past the old healer. “Your head for remedies has come a long way” she remarked with raised brows, hinting to the mare that she knew what she’d slipped in there out of concern for her teacher. “Though licorice does rather the same thing as mullein… and tastes better.” She didn’t mean it ungratefully, and the tone of her voice indicated so, but she never let Pol leave here without learning something. 

The young mare was doing her a favor helping her, and Luvena was determined to make sure it was worth her while. “Autumn is certainly making itself known though. You know how it is…” Pol had helped her all through the last winter. “Never you worry about me though. Do you have enough mint for that tail through the winter?”  She knew her tail bothered her with the cold. Inflammation of an old injury. It was in fact, how she had met the girl. 

She found herself laughing at the question. “She’s doing well. Though I’ve been helping her with some of the more administrative things. Israfel can be a touch hot-headed, and while I love her for it, someone has to keep that from boiling over. And I’m no stranger to the duties of a queen” she paused for a brief moment, unsure if that was something she had told Polar North or not. Her ears perked a little at the sight of the blanket. “It’s gorgeous. But Pol dear, you shouldn’t be spending your wages on gifts for me. You have yourself to take care of!” She took the blanket regardless, knowing her apprentice wouldn’t take it back. She put it on over the one she already wore, staving off the chill that was always settled deep into the walls of the clinic. 

She walked over to the workbench, looking for a list to hand over. “Here” she offered it. “A list of things that need to be prepared for today. This one here” she gestured with her nose to the third item down, roughly underlined. “Needs to be done first. For strangles - don’t worry I sent them away immediately - But the other medic doesn’t have the herbs for it” she stressed the middle, knowing the look Pol would give her regardless. “How’s your sister?” she asked, changing the topic quickly. She hadn’t seen Below Zero in over a year, though she remembered her fondly as well.

@Polar North
Table © Camy

Night Court Medic

Pol snorted softly at her mentor’s words, recognizing the stubborn streak that helped the aquatic mare adore the elder healer. Then the compliment that made the little mare blush and dip her head. "Thank you. I am so thrilled to have been taught by someone so amazing." She laughed softly, lavender eyes locking back on the elder mare. "I personally prefer the flavor of the mullein over licorice. The latter turns my stomach." She remarks, accepting the knowledge that the other was passing.

Pol stepped closer as the mare spoke, nodding. "If you figure out how to stop worrying about someone, be sure to let me know. I adore you Lu. You are the closest thing to a mother that I have ever had. I want to make sure that you are as comfortable as you can be." She murmured, her mind flashing back to the comment about her immortality. Should she ask? What would she say?

Shaking away the thoughts, she focused on the conversation at hand. "I should. Is there any other herbs that you would like to add to stocks?" She asked, glad that she had the wise mare to guide her.

Pol flicked an ear as she listened to the mare. "Queen, huh? Was that before or after your immortality?" She asked before realizing what she said. The moment the words slipped from her mouth, her eyes widened and she stared at the healer with shock. How was she going to explain that she knew?! Her mouth gaped and she wondered how Lu would react. 

"It was nothing. I want to make you more comfortable." Pol blushed, dipping her head and trying to reign in the worry that was swamping her. Liatris had told her things, but she was still unsure of how to broach that subject.

Thankful for the distraction, Pol dove into the preparations. It was nice to have something to focus on, she smiled and let her knowledge sweep away the uncertainty. "Bel is doing well… though she is wearing herself out a bit with her magic. Last time I saw her she was working hard to control her powers and learning more about our ancestry." She remarked as she worked.

"Speaking"
@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign

Luvena

“Then you have worse taste than I thought” she teased. The words were bathed in affect for the other though. She sipped away at the tea as she worked, trying to ignore the bitter aftertaste of the mullein.  

Her face softened slightly at the next words that came from Pol, and she touched her muzzle gently to the taller mare's shoulder. “And I think of you as I thought of my own children. Truthfully yes, I am exhausted, and with winter comes fever and worse. But I will be fine. And you should concern yourself more with our patients who are not accustomed to such things” She knew she might as well admit it, she couldn’t really lie to Polar North. She was becoming too skilled a medic to listen to her stubbornness any longer. Truth be told though she was waiting for the day the mare would push her on it, properly. It was the one thing she wanted her student to learn. Patients lied often, and sometimes they needed a push to get what they needed. If she could get something out of Luvena... she knew she'd be ready to run things on her own, if ever she wanted to. 

She frowned slightly at the question. “We could do with more valerian… and maybe some elecampane. We have lots of it now, but I suspect that will change very quickly in the next few weeks.” she shuffled through the jars above them, trying to see if they needed anything else. 

She nearly dropped one off the shelf at the next statement, only just catching it to slide it back on. Her ears pressed back, though she was quick to bring them back up. She didn’t miss the expression that crossed Pols face either, not that she was subtle about it. “Twice…” she replied cautiously. Her tone measured. She ignored the girl's words about her sister, no longer focused on the topic. “Both beforehand. Who told you that?” she wouldn’t have been so suspicious, afterall there was more than one friend in Novus who knew that fact. But the look on her apprentice's face… it had given her the impression that she was keeping something from Luvena, and she wasn’t much one for secrets.  

“I’d suggest you not lie” she warned, though her tone was still as gentle as ever. “You’re not much good at it, and if I’m honest I’ve not much patience for it.”

@Polar North
Table © Camy

Night Court Medic

Pol snorted and shook her head. "Must be the alien in me." She teased as she took a long drink of her own tea. "Perhaps a bit of salt to help bring out the sweetness?" She asked, wondering if that would make the tea better for the elder mare. 

Pol beamed at the other mare, though her smile wavered at the way she spoke of her own children. Liatris had stolen her heart in that simple meeting in a way that even Trey hadn’t. As she finished, Pol frowned and tilted her head. "As much I would love to believe that… I have seen you struggle. Please, Lu. Tell me the truth. I know you do not make it through the winters as easily and I want to make it easier for you." She murmured, wanting to help the mare.

Pol made notes, tucking the paper into her satchel that she set beside the door and out of the way. That was when the air inside the clinic changed. That was when her slip was evident. There was fear in the younger mare’s heart as she stared at Lu with wide eyes. 

"Um… I met someone. Someone that knows you…" She began, dropping her gaze as she tried to figure out how to word it. Her heart was thundering, loud enough that the young mare was certain that Lu could hear it. Then she spoke again. Even though the tone was gentle, she could feel the command within it.

Her world was crumbling and it was all she could do to not break down and cry right there. She had done it. She had broken the relationship that she cherished so much. Her words were a murmur, barely audible as she kept her gaze on her hooves. "I hate not telling you things. I hate trying to figure out how to say things and then screwing it up so royally." A deep breath. "I met Liatris… He told me. He asked about you. Told me to tell you he loves you. He stays in the library, trying to learn all he can." She finished, feeling like a failure. She wanted to run away, to hide in her room and ignore the world around her. 

Even with the fear and emotions, the young mare couldn’t seem to move her hooves. She wouldn’t leave unless Lu asked. She was there to help, to try to make the elder mare’s life easier. But for how much longer? Would Lu push her away as well? It wouldn’t be the first time. Heck, not even the first time that she was abandoned by a mother. Fear and pain were lancing through her heart and she had to force herself to keep on her hooves rather than lay down and weep.

"Speaking"
@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign

Luvena

“That alright” she replied, turning down the offer. “I’ve nearly finished it anyways. Besides, I don’t think you and I have the same affinity for salt water” she laughed, though she had to stifle a slight cough with the action. 

She didn’t miss the waver in Pol's smile. Luvena had spent enough time with her to be able to read her face like an open book.  “I assure you I am fineShe was doing it with intention now, trying to push the girl. It was the one thing she hadn’t managed to teach her yet. She didn’t want her to be mean, gods only knew it was the last thing she wanted. Or to yell, she made sure she never set that example. But she was far too gentle for her own good sometimes. You could be kind, and soft… without sacrificing the rest of it. It was a hard skill to learn, but a necessary one. 

She was concerned with how distraught she seemed, all spun out in disarray. She nodded along at the mention of someone who knew her. That didn’t mean much, it could have been anyone. Kodarki was here, maybe she had stumbled across him. But she had never seen Polar so upset.

She froze as soon as she heard the name.

Liatris

Her sweet flower child. With a coat as soft as down and eyes as curious and kind as Cavaliers. Who had been by her side as much as she’d let him. Who had followed Kodarki around like a little lost puppy. He had been her entire world, her one wish come true. Him and his brother had been all she’d asked for and more. Her lost boys. 

Liatris

She heaved in a breath, realizing she’d been holding it. “Liatris is alive? He’s here?” Suddenly a smile broke over her face, like daybreak over the horizon. “Oh honey why are you so upset?” she asked in confusion, pressing her -too hot- face into the mares neck “Pol this is the best news you ever could have brought me. Where is he? Is he well?” her mind was racing. She had to go see him. Soon. as soon as possible. Today? Soon. 

Liatris

@”Polar North”
Table © Camy

Night Court Medic

Pol snorts again, though her laughter is paused when the cough tries to sneak out. Stepping closer, she flicks and ear and settles into healer mode. "Luvena. Do not hide things from me. How can I help you, how can I be the best healer that I can be, if you are not willing to let me? I know you are not feeling the greatest. I want to know what you are feeling." It was at that moment that her magic reared up. The sparkles of Lu’s blood danced behind her eyes as she tried to rein it in. "I suppose I should tell you… since it is trying to take over again. I apparently have been gifted with healing magic. Not that I know how to use it." She grumbled, pushing the magic away. It worried her, not being able to control it fully yet. 

Pol was not expecting that reaction. "Yes… he is here…" She murmured before lifting her head. "I am upset because I am scared. I have never been able to have a mother. My own abandoned me when she protected me. My pod pushed me away. My own sister abandoned me. I am so scared that you will be the next to abandon me." She murmured, tears flowing freely now as she let the words tumble from her mouth. "I am afraid because you are sick and wont let me help you. I dont want to push you… but I can’t watch you fade away to nothing because you wont let me help." She murmured, pressing her cool flesh to the mare’s hot pelt. She was hoping that her coolness would help with the fever that seemed to be spiking again.

Pol took a few shuddering breaths and looked up at Lu finally. “He is in Dawn, usually in the library. He looked well to me, though I only just met him. Very handsome and well spoken. He reminded me of you.” She stopped there, realizing that she was looking forward to meeting him again. There was something that she wanted to explore there, though she had no idea how in the world to do so.

"Speaking"
@Luvena

Night Court Sovereign

Luvena

“Finally” she murmured. Thankful that the little mare was finally giving her some grief. “I’ve been waiting ages for you to stop listening to me” she laughed again. “Fine. I’m running  a fever, the damned cough is coming back, and my bones ache to the stars and back” she huffed, setting down the now empty mug. She hummed slightly as Pol mentioned magic returning to her. “I’m afraid… well I’m not much help there. I’ve never much been one for magic, and I’ve never had such talents myself. But if you have it, you should start practicing with it. Does it work with everything? You could start with the animals out by the vitreus. It’s not uncommon to see frozen mice out there this time of year.”  she suggested. 

At the appearance of tears she used her muzzle to rub the dip behind pols withers, something her own mother had done when she was younger. “Oh shh. Hush now” she murmured. “Now why would I go and do something like that?” she asked. “I’m not going anywhere, anytime soon. I’m far too stubborn to let the gods take me that quickly, not again.” she leaned slightly into the mares cool touch. “I might be a frail old lady, but I’ve tangled with death before, and I don’t intend to do it again just yet. Though  perhaps I could be a little more accepting of your help” she admitted. 

She was nearly vibrating with excitement, though one question ran through her mind. “Why didn’t he come see me himself?” she asked, ears pricked. Though she was starting to piece some things together, that he’d mentioned her immortality, that pol seemed frightened to tell her… 

@”Polar North”
Table © Camy

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »