Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - a satchelful of gems [ open ]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Faye

I HAVE LOVED THE STARS
too fondly to be fearful of the night

A wonderous place , she's beginning to learn .

Small dragons that flit from place to place , baring fangs and wings as they weave between stalls , and so many bodies that bustle here in the markets that she finds it rather hard to step around without finding a way to actually get bumped into . It's an astonishingly hard feat , considering how much she glows , but she's also terribly small compared to most of the populace , and she skitters to one side , crystalline hooves skimming over cobblestones before her long ears swivel back and she frowns to herself .

Maybe this had been a bad idea .

Faye isn't used to the hustle and bustle of so many bodies in one place . Growing up , it had been the cave and her sisters and the deities , and then it had been her adoptive mother . Now here , it's a land of strangers and too many unknowns . She feels a bit like a fish out of water , and despite the current satchel of gems at her side that she had been determined to sell , she now feels maybe she should come back some other time . Or find another market , one a little less busy than this one .

She ducks between two stalls , hooves clattering a little as she wiggles between them and then pops out in a less crowded area , only to shake herself from head to hoof and finally take a deep breath . With less bodies , she can breathe a little better , and find more comfort in her own skin .

It gives her the time to think and ponder . Maybe she can definitely take the gems elsewhere and sell them , or come back later in the day , when there are less horses around and she has a chance to not be trampled over . Surviving here would be a bit of a good idea , wouldn't it ?

open to anyone

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 18 — Threads: 2
Signos: 15
Inactive Character

v r e i s

absolute power corrupts absolutely
but absolute powerlessness does the same
it's not the poverty
it's the inequality that we live with everyday
that will turn us insane

The stallion stood still as he watched the energy of this market. The air practically sung with magic, and while a part of him felt awed by the display, the rock in his gut twisted his face into an impassioned sneer. Magic was corrupt, evil, dangerous. Isn't that what the King had told him thousands of times as he grew up, orphaned by the magic that would take his mother from him.

Or was that still the good, chivalrous knight inside that tried to make logic of the king who turned treacherously against him? He'd seen the power in its glory that his precious songbirds could wield, bent to his directive. Yet, despite it all, there remained the sense that magic was evil, it was corrupt. It cost him his mother before he was old enough to understand. It cost him rank and position. It cost him so much.

But had he not also profited from it. It was a precarious place for the corrupted being to push his thoughts into, so instead he ignored the obvious magic others had on display. He ignored the drakes fluttering from the stalls, and instead he stood taller antlers glinting in the sun, the scales down his back, shoulders, rump reflecting like onyx against his colorful hide.

His tail swayed in a mess of dreads and braids, barely brushing against his ankles with its bound up length, a black cloak slung over his shoulders, leather armor firmly slapped in place, and the polished sword at his side. He didn't acknowledge those he passed beyond the occasional exchange of eye contact. Tall, stoic, princely as he moved about. Wearing charisma like a second skin, his tall, and muscular form parting the crowds. He managed to enter a side street, lesser populated.

It was the sudden glow that had him pause, as it grew brighter, and suddenly a small slip of a mare had broken out between two stands, her tiny form practically dwa4lefed by his own height. Had he not paused at the sudden glow (which he now realized was coming from her) she would have collided right with him. And logistically, his taller and brawniernform would have been the victor in any such collision. "Do you typically make a habit out of attempts to collide with strangers?" He surprises himself by addressing the odd beast rather then walking around her, but his tone holds nothing more the annoyed curiosity at the odd glowing beast, and even after asking the question his gaze is already back on the markets, one ear swiveling to eavesdrop.

After all, he hadn't come here to socialize. This was a recon mission, to try to locate Ard and Erd, and no matter how weird the small glowy beast was, she wasn't one of his missing song birds.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Faye
Notes: Gonna take a bit to figure out exactly how to write him.

Artwork © Bingo

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Faye

I HAVE LOVED THE STARS
too fondly to be fearful of the night

To be fair, she hadn't been paying attention . Her attention had been away from the hustle and bustle , and to keep her head down and maybe leave this place behind . To come back another day when it was likely less crowded . Maybe . Who knew . Herd life , Courts ... it's all so foreign to her and it leaves a sour taste in her mouth still , reminding her too much of the cave systems of home , only here everyone mingled and spoke to one another . There were no deities that hoarded away the females like they had in her past , or attempted to further lineage and spawn more divine touched daughters .

Only too many equines , enough to make her skin proverbially crawl .

Even so , her hooves slide on cobblestone , only to come to a halt when she nearly slams into a pair of very large front legs . The small witch backpedals rapidly , opening her mouth to apologize , only to suddenly snap it shut when he speaks instead , in a very rude way that rubs her wrong almost instantaneously .

Her nose wrinkles , and Faye tips her head back to look up at him with a repulsed expression on her visage , muzzle wrinkling all the more , as if she's smelling something rather foul . " Do you make it a habit to just stand in the middle of a path like a pile of moldy boulders ? " She snorts at him , walking around him instead and flicking her tail sharply , lifting her head up a little and then looking away as she takes on her normal gait , neck arching subtly and ears swiveling .

" Maybe next time , don't gawk at people . It's rude . " Her tone is nothing short of almost acid out of sheer annoyance , and she hardly gives him a second glance , instantly simply writing him off mentally . It didn't matter that he was literally double her height ( and then some ) . What mattered was he was rude , and she might be small , but she's not some delicate flower that takes things laying down .

Internally , there's warning bells going off , but the habit of firing her mouth off at the moment outweighs self preservation , a tactic that seems highly prevalent with her anymore . A whole fireball of energy , in one teeny tiny package .

@Vreis
ooc; oh my god she just ... hello ???

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 18 — Threads: 2
Signos: 15
Inactive Character

v r e i s

absolute power corrupts absolutely
but absolute powerlessness does the same
it's not the poverty
it's the inequality that we live with everyday
that will turn us insane

The stallion stared down at the odd, little glowing thing, watching her backpedal, watching her muzzle dip open, and then watching the reaction to his own abrasive words. His attention returns fully back to her, watching as she snaps her muzzle shut quickly. A sense of . . . mischief almost taints his otherwise calm exterior, as she slowly wrinkles her nose, her head tipping up enough that an assassination attempt would be oddly easy if he had an accomplice with him.

But it’s not an annoyance he feels with her fire spitting at him, licking his sides with proverbial flames crafted from sharp words, and a sharper tone. He can’t help it, he’s thoroughly amused by the entire thing. He can’t help but to acknowledge her words, even if he’d been standing in the middle of a path due to seeing her odd glow heading towards him, and wanted to wait OUT of range for when the glow inevitably appeared.

He doesn’t respond right away, however; instead continuing to watch, and gather more intel on this odd, little glowy creature as she snorts, walks around him, and flicks her tail, while raising her head. Fiesty indeed. Although, he’d hardly call himself ‘gawking,’ but he did dip his head in acknowledgement to her rather poisonous tone.

Instead, the Rebel leader dips his head, acknowledging where he had stepped wrongly (after all, you don’t become the leader of a Rebellion against a Tyrant king by being cold, cruel and distant - even if he was living in a state of near constant distraction with Ard and Erd missing). "I apologize, you are correct. It was rather foolish of me to have chosen to pause where I had. I had seen your . . . odd glow approaching, and having never come across any equine that glowed; had cautiously paused in case it was an attack, or beast I had not yet seen before: rather than allow an unknown force to hit me. I’d have been wiser to have taken my pause further off to the side, naturally.” His words were smoother, his sneer replaced with a vaguely amused smirk, as he looked down at the little spit fire that breathed acid tones, and flaming wit. "And of course, gawking is rude; I’ll strive to not be so . . . struck by the next unique individual I stumble across - or rather, they stumble across me.” Vreis added with a powerful shrug of his shoulders, that rippled the cloak slung over his back and down his side.

The stallion pauses then, dark eyes returning to the odd, little glowing thing; his mind already categorizing any potential use he may or may not have for her - the corrupted with power side always whirling to see where he can use someone for his benefit. Such a small thing would hardly make a decent fighter, not unless she too could wield the magic that seemed to settle over this land like a putrid stench. But her fire had caught his attention, and whether for good, or ill; his attention was firmly locked on her as well, "I do hope you’ll accept my apology,” While he might not be a ‘good guy’, that didn’t mean he was evil either - and realizing he had faulted, at least a little, he felt she deserved at least this much - besides, further conversation would give him even more information on the odd little being, "It was not my intention to upset you. You’ve simply caught me off guard, even if it’s not such a difficult state to be in when trying to settle into a new world you’d previously not been a part of. Oh, where are my manners. I am Vreis, of the - well, that’s really not important now; being in a new world, titles mean less when the Tyrant you’re rebelling against isn’t in the same plane of existence.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Faye
Notes: He is still making my head spin. Trying to capture ‘not evil, just corrupt’ is odd.

Artwork © Bingo