Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Drown the shadows

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Rhysand

The streets were different, the faces unknown. Even with that knowledge, the night markets were similar enough to places he had been to relax the massive stallion.  Shaking his head, the shire paced through the beings and let his seafoam eyes take in the world around him. A building caught his attention and the stallion’s white ears perked.

Stepping inside, the once shadow wielder stepped toward the bar and the beings that were drinking and randomly speaking. He ignored the murmured conversations, ordering a drink and settling at the end of the bar where he could watch the other patrons. It was a pleasant way to learn more about the people that he was around and it gave him some insight of the horses. 

"Busy place…" He remarked to the barkeeper, dipping his head as his drink was delivered. With a soft sigh, he took a drink. There were others that he was missing, though the fact that Grisha was here with him made it better. Eventually, he would find them a solid home… but for now, they were living rather as vagabonds. 

The pair explored the realm, currently choosing to be members of the Dusk court. If they would stay was yet to be determined, but it was at least a place to start. Flicking his dark tail, he took another drink and gazed around him again.

"Speaking"
@Asta
Notes: ---

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 30 — Threads: 11
Signos: 25
Dusk Court Merchant
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  9 [Year 502 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 19  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

A s t a
do you believe in reinarnation?
'cause i thought i saw your soul
I roll over onto my back, puffing up a breath of air and watching the way my forelock danced in the breeze it made.

I couldn't help but groan, however, looking around my unofficial room with a sense of boredom.
Unofficial. I can't help but be amused by that fact, that thought.

I had a bad habit of sneaking in through the windows, crossing rooftops to get in. But I don't know if Liam was actually aware that I had moved into the Citadel. That I had made myself my own room. Bucky might know, he seemed to know everything that went on around here. He's kinda inspirational in that sense. Fill my mind with thoughts of 'I wanna be like Bucky when I grow up." But, back to the thought on hand. Did I actually let Liam know I was moving in?

I don't think so.

I just showed up one day, and never left. Have no real intention of leaving either. This was home now, simple as that. And a better home than my parents offered me, even if they still didn't hesitate to try and send guards to lead me hope. I'd heard the whispers in our circles. Of how I'd been swept away. How Liam was overstepping, abusing his power in trying to keep me from them.

How disappointed for them. Their pretty little bird isn't behind the gilded cage bars, ready to sing on cue.
How disappointing indeed.

I had been able to experience freedom now. And I wasn't going to give this shit up.
But, I was growing bored, which meant it was time for another adventure.

I roll over, glancing towards the door as I settle my hooves beneath me and rise up. Do I leave by the door? My eyes cut to the window, and the expanse of rooftops I could see, a slow grin appearing on my muzzle. Liam needed a few more grey hairs anyway, and how could I be a proper honorary, unofficial, and largely unknown to him; daughter if I don't give him grey hairs. Maybe one day I'll express my actual adoration and affection for all he has done for me, all he has offered me, and all that I've selfishly stolen for myself (like this room). But until that point, I snicker as I make my way towards the window, and shimmy my way out onto the rooftops.

I trot with an airy, and graceful sway, my steps light and playful, delicate and gentle. It's almost like dancing between the pillars, and spikes once used for defense. It's like an art, the way I dance my way around, the colorful shawl fashioned around my shoulders swaying with each step, the light reflecting off my jewelry. By the time I'd done the appropriate leaps and bounds and landed on the ground, I knew just where I wanted to go. I could practically hear the music in my head, feel the energy one of my favorite places held.

I turned towards Denocte, my hooves kicking up dust. The trip through the mountains was difficult enough, and despite some close calls, it wasn't long before I was among the markets, laughing as other entertainers would pull me into the occasional dance, exchange steps, showing me some newer moves I wasn't aware of (who knew you could dance with fabric like that! I'm going to need to find some) before someone pointed me towards the bar. I was still laughing as I walked inside with another entertainer, the other mare practically jingling with bells that had me wondering if I could enchant my own jewelry to do much the same. Liam might know someone. It'd drive him nuts to hear bells all around the Citadel as well!

I make my way to the bar, the lighting gleaming of the jewels and gold I wore, as I straightened my shawl midstep. "Hi, something light please! I don't think my new friends will let me stay away from the dancing for too long!" I state to the barkeep, delighted when some sort of mixed drink that tasted more like lemonade was passed in my direction. I took a sip, my gaze briefly dancing from individual to individual, not really bothering with actually looking too closely at them. I might have fun, open up a bit with the entertainers' crowd, but I still intend to keep my distance from everyone.

It's like a melancholy thought that cuts across the joy I'd been distracting myself with. I had forgotten briefly that these people won't remember me in their next lives, not as I would. I shake those thoughts away, I wanted to have a bit of fun. To dance. To forget.

Unfortunately, that knowledge was never far from the forefront of my mind.

It's one thing to pretend to be nice.

But in the end, I'm better off alone.

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Rhysand
Notes:: Let's see how this goes. Haha
flashing and dancing on the horizon
shades of jade and emerald

Artist Credit to Bingo

Rhysand

The creature that had stopped at the bar caught his attention. She was striking and seemed so happy. It was a relief to see it. That there were patrons that were light and happy. Shaking his head, he stepped closer and dipped his head. 

"You seem to be having quite the good time, beautiful." He remarked with a smile, keeping the darkness within his heart at bay to not drop her mood as well. This was what he had been seeking, even if he had no idea of it. The life that seemed to surround them, as well as the light in her own eyes, even with the conflicts that seemed to shutter that brightness every so often. 

"I am Rhysand Drake, and you are?" He introduced himself, dipping his head and then lifting it with a grin. He didn’t plan on letting his heart get involved. Not when he was terrified that his sire would come and finish his threats. But fun, possible playful banter, a friendly face… those would be welcome as he tried to navigate his future.

Turning to the bartender, he softly asked for another drink, his seafoam eyes drifting back to the dawn kissed creature that he had approached. They were definitely not a pair most would expect. She was bright, dawn, striking. He was dark and troubled. Not the kind of stallion that most looked at unless they knew his power, his lineage. That knowledge hit him and he forced the thoughts down and let himself focus on the mare beside him.

"Speaking"
@Asta

Dusk Court Merchant
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  9 [Year 502 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 19  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

A s t a
I could feel the sudden discomfort.

Like acid sliding over my body. Attention.
I should be used to it, right? I'd been to plenty of parties. Knew I was eye-catching. But it didn't make it good, great, grand.

Attention was horrible. Ugly. Unwanted.
It bred into the desire to get to know someone, to make friends, be merry and jolly - and not what I wanted for life. This stallion would understand that soon enough as he stepped closer, dipping his head, smiling as if that would relax me.

Instead, I cut my eyes to him, my smile dropping, my gaze sharpening like a knife ready to stab him. To knock him back, away from me, far, far, far, far away. I huff once, expression growing bored, uninterested as I turned my attention to him. My muzzle raised slightly, eyes narrowed, looking down my muzzle at him, as if he were beneath me.

I'd learned long ago the best way to chase off unwanted attention, put them off.

"Oh, are you actually trying to talk to me. " I drawl in my most apathetic tone, "Go bother someone else," My tone drops, sliding off my tongue like poisonous snakes. Hissing and spitting acid his way. "I don't enjoy talking to lessers." Liam would tan my hide if he heard me. But I was also rather determined to keep to myself. I'd rejoin the entertainers, if only to dance until I might catch a glimpse of her.

That didn't mean I wanted to hold conversation with any random brute that decided I needed company.

He doesn't get the picture, introducing himself, asking about me. My response is delivered quick, punctual, "Am not fucking interested." I snap the words, eyes now narrowed into an annoyed glare, stepping back and doing a once over as I glanced at him, "Go bother some other mare, yeah?" I retort, knocking the counter for another drink, as I forceably turned my back to this stranger, swishing my tail in a dismissive gesture.

Liam should be proud of me. I only cussed once!

Then he turned his attention back on me, after ordering once again and I felt myself groan in growing annoyance, "Seriously? What the fuck do you want? Can't you tell I'm not interested? Back the fuck off, you're encrouching into my space, and it's making you look clingy and desperate, not a good look for any stallion, I assure you. If you're so desperate for a good time, might I suggest you go stalk the gutters, you'd probably fit right in with those types." Okay, maybe that was mean, but seriously, what does it take to persuade a guy to leave a gal the fuck alone.

Maybe I shouldn't have left the dancers. At least they mind their own business, and limit themselves to just laughing and dancing. Men.

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Rhysand

Artist Credit to Bingo

Rhysand

Her reaction was unexpected, a jolt that had the stallion smirking. That was before the words escaped her lips and the cool mask of the cruel prince settled. "Oh… lesser… If you are entirely sure. I wasn’t aware I was in the presence of the queen. Perhaps a prince like myself should step aside for one who drips venom from her maw like a snake waiting to pounce." He said, his words silky and rumbling. No, he wasn’t in the mood to play nice. Hadn’t been in some time. And this mare’s reaction to a simple help was more than enough to let that mask slide back.

"That sentence only leaves one with questions… are you not interested in pleasantries or not interested in bedroom activities. Of course, the latter would require someone that was willing to risk your fangs for a brief moment of pleasure, since your own pleasant mood seems to be ever fleeting." He said, his gaze no longer on her as she turned her back to him. Fine.. There was a part of him that was slightly wounded at her response, the memories of another with such venom in their words. More than anything, the massive stallion was amused that she was so defensive over a simple hello. 

More poisonous words slipped from her maw, so at odds with the beauty of her features. A soft snort escaped him and he shook his head. "Seriously?" He mimicked, flashing an amused grin. "I wasn’t aware that a pleasant hello was enough to earn such a response. There was nothing more than that. A complement and greeting. No seeking more, no clinging. Why would I be desperate when I have no knowledge of any that live in these lands? Why seek what I am not in the mood for, with mares that are clearly so defensive over a simple hello that the idea of any further conversation with said beauty would clearly lead to my dear blood on the floor." He responded, his voice dripping with disdain as he glanced at the space between them. 

"Yes, I stepped closer to be able to hear over the noise… But last I checked a few feet away wasn’t encroachment. Now if you really wanted me close, all you would have to do is ask. While I am not looking for more than conversation, I am sure that I could find some deaf brute to handle your words and be at your side." He said, his voice light and amused as he stretched his neck and downed his drink. 

"But since I am clearly some stupid fool that you want nothing more than to spear with your venom, why dont you try again. Tell me how you are so much better than a prince and how a court trained prince is lesser than the brutes that you clearly prefer to warm your bed." He winked as he kept his gaze solidly on the being behind the bar and the refill they were currently making for him. 

"Speaking"
@Asta
Notes: Um… just remember you pushed for his response before he shut up XD

Dusk Court Merchant

A s t a
I was a bitch. I knew it. Anyone who had to spend more than fifteen minutes in my company knew it.

I wasn't naturally a bitch.
But when you're tired, you get more easily annoyed.

And I've been tired for a long, long time. It's exhausting just to keep living and living and living. Even dying was like a short nap. I'd wake up in a new body. My friends wouldn't know me; my family wouldn't recognize me. It was hard; life was difficult to wade my way through. It had been going on for a long time.

In a way, I'm one of the oldest horses alive, destined to die and repeat in a lonely life of solitude. I remember the times when horses were barely starting to evolve. I remember the ground more snowy and ice than green and fruitful during those first many horrible lifetimes. The predators that preyed upon us in all of the horrifying glory: I remember it all.

I watch this odd being's reaction. I'm displeased by the smirk rather than the recoil of revulsion I was expecting. His words fell like silk from his muzzle, and the sudden switch had me blinking back my surprise. The stallion is clearly posturing, though, pointing out his ranking, trying to make himself meaningful. I don't bother with such trivialities. First horse outranks prince or queen any day, do they not?

Of course, I don't talk about my cursed existence.

Instead, I turn to look at him, rolling my eyes over him in distaste, You'll find titles from before Novus carry little meaning." I responded with all of the power and prestige I'd been raised with as a high society heiress, a priceless treasure of Terrastella, a blessing, and conduit of Vespera. " Furthermore, those with proper power hardly will share it where others can overhear. It's rather boastful, isn't it? An unfortunate ... an ugly trait for a prince." I finish with a drawled-out tone, my expression nothing sort of bored and unimpressed.

Oooh, I seem to be striking nerves? Maybe He was more displeased by my dismissal than I thought. He just reacts to words with words. I'd hoped he'd have gotten the hint to walk away. I'll try harder. "How about neither." I retort, letting his cold response of what sort of partner I'd need slide off my back. I was already well aware of the sort my parents were looking for, for me anyway. And I'd been alive a long time. I knew the sorts that the heiress usually married. We didn't find love; we found new ownership.

He wouldn't hurt me with such lackluster attempts. He simply had no idea who or what he was dealing with. You should know not to approach strangers than." I snap back, cutting my gaze to him, "Many of us do not care for any attention. Much less any compliments." I raise my head, ignoring his defenses against my retorts. "If being aggressive and defensive keeps others from bothering me, all the better. I don't need a lecture from a stranger." My tone had switched, even and smooth, the proper vernacular of a high society lady, the sort of high circles that made their royalty—a precious treasure to those who kept to their own.

I'm not bothered by this disdain he speaks with, nor do I care when he defends his choice to step close. I'm growing tired of his charade of 'I'm wounded and innocent.' No one is genuinely innocent; everyone has ulterior motives. And in the end, everyone forgets you when you die. I've lived long enough to see much of the world is dark, cold, and cruel. I've seen a mother turn away from a deceased foal, not even burying it to pay homage to the living. I've seen these so cold 'devote' parents that cast their child away for a pretty penny when times get rough. I've seen the honest, pure husband who stays late at work to earn money for his wife and newborn sneak away to the saloon to sleep with the call girls.

It's the same truths that I'm better off alone. Making a home in Liam and Bucky's Citadel and letting myself feel welcome into their family still set me ill at ease. Because I know the truths, I would keep remembering upon my death, upon my rebirth; they would all forget. And currently, as Asta Stendahl, I was already breaking too many of my rules. I wouldn't break another for this stallion. So as he spoke once more, of being a stupid fool to spear with venom, demanding I tell him how I'm better than a prince, how a court trained prince is a lesser compared to brutes I would want to warm my bed, I chose not to respond.

Instead, I stand, stretching one limb before tossing a couple of coins towards the barkeep. I don't spare the stranger a glance. I don't even acknowledge him, but instead, I turn and head towards the door. Because it's safer in the crowds, where no one wants to know who you are, beyond another soul to purchase their wares, another dancer in the streets. Another mare adorned with jewels that make tongues wag.

Denocte sang to me . . . perhaps it's time to go back home to the Citadel.

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Rhysand

Artist Credit to Bingo

Rhysand

Rhys snorted softly, grin widening as he listened to her attempt at chastising. "You will find that not all are willing to keep said titles from before Novus. Conversing and explaining oneself is not boastful. Simply educating. And I am loathe to let a little thing like my past stand in the way of my future." He crooned, his eyes dancing as he practically begged her to play with him.

Rhys looked at her with an amused glance. "What's wrong, beautiful... not used to being unable to push away a stallion with your venomous words? You will find that I am less inclined to simply walk away." He teased, flicking his ear back and lifting his head as he took a drink. This one had fire under the disdain, though it was only flickers that were running through her eyes as she spoke.

Rhys chuckled and shot her a grin. "What's wrong princess, did you think trying to push me away would hide that you want to know more?" He teased, even as he marked the more proper tone that she was speaking with. Perhaps if he baited her enough, she would rise to the fire and actually find that she could enjoy his company.

When she got to her hooves and started to leave, Rhys laughed darkly. "Afraid of letting someone see the real you, I take it. Perhaps you should be remembered as the jewel of some noble house, pined after by obnoxious, vain creatures that want nothing more than to control you and your future. Would hate to see you actually smile and find pleasure in life." He called, his words bait to see if she would bite back. "Funny how being away from those that have expectations is enough to make you crave adventure, to see the sea and want to experience a life of piracy. To see jewels and want to hold them just to feel their weight." He said, his words warm and inviting as he genuinely looked at her and smiled a real smile. Not a smile that was a mask over the real Rhysand. To let her see the real Rhysand, the dreamer under the position.

"Speaking"
@Asta

Dusk Court Merchant

A s t a
They say there is a point in every one's life when we can look back and judge what we've done. We experience regrets, or desires to have let things gone a different route. Perhaps, my issue is that when I look back in time, it's not just this life that I have regrets about. It's every life. Hundreds, and thousands, and hundred of thousands lives and existences that I have to feel pain with each memory.

Loved ones who no longer remember me.
The heartbreaking betrayals that are all painstakingly clear.
It's shocking how hard it is to heal your heart.

When the time doesn't soften the memory.

So I've learned to be more careful, I've learned to be more unwilling, to stop myself from making mistakes that will hurt me in my next life, and the one after, and the one after that. I learned to stop trying to let myself care. So, yes, I'm being rude, and yes this stallion wants to play. But, I cannot simply engage, because then that opens me up for a new avenue of regrets. And in the long run, it's not worth the pain.

Yet, you must find something in your title, so quick to declare yourself a prince." I drawl out the words with contempt, my expression growing bored as if he'd sung his song too long. It's safer this way, for me to walk away now. His words fall on deaf ears, and I sigh quietly, If you knew what I was doing, then why not just leave? I grow bored of your insolent attempts at conversation." I let the retort drip off my tongue, slow and chilling. It would be better to cut him off now. He might think this was just a game to me, my M.O. That I was just one of those mares who had to fight. How would he feel if he knew it was because I was done fighting.

I was done fighting, I had grown tired lifetimes ago - but unlike those who could just, let go - fall asleep and that was it . . . I didn't get a start over, a new beginning. Not like many others. I woke up, with every memory intact, sometimes the phantom pains of what killed me in the previous life already etched into the new infant form. There was never any rest for me, any escape. So what he thought would be the fire that would ignite me, was just words I'd heard before.

Then he made the wrong move, I'm sorry, you think I would care to want to know more? You're foolish if you believe that. You're a dime a dozen in these parts. There is nothing I would like to do LESS than stay around and learn more." So I climbed to my hooves, moving away. I'm relatively glad that I'm facing away from him when he comments on my being afraid. He didn't understand, of course, he wouldn't. He's not cursed like I am. Reincarnated over and over again. The real tragedy to reincarnation. I don't get happily ever after one lifetime into the next with someone I love. I don't get to feel my existence is meaningful. I'm just . . . me. Boring me, alone when it's time to start over, and never allowed to forget.

Ever.

His follow-up words fell over me like a summer drizzle, not lasting enough to make an impression. But, I still turn and offer him my prettiest smile, even as I didn't bother to hide the deadness to my eyes, "I am well aware of the life I am destined to leave. As we speak, my parents are scouring for a husband, to transfer ownership of me from my father to the next man to command me. I was born into nobility, into the highest tier of social circles. I was raised knowing what was expected of me, and I am aware of my freedom growing more limited." For a brief moment, her smile dropped, her gaze turning away, to another horizon, I shall be fine, you don't need to concern yourself with what becomes of me. I'm well protected beneath my Sovereign, and no one is ever willing to truly hurt the gems of the high class. We're meant to be on display, after all."

I turn my gaze back towards him, silent for a few beats, "Besides, I've tasted freedom in this lifetime already, and I knew in that moment just how fleeting it would be. I know well enough by now, what it means to be in my position, and dreaming for something else will only lead to more heartbreak in the end. It's sometimes better to accept what fate has to offer." Even as I fought fate with Liam, and Bucky, and the protection of the Citadel. But this stranger didn't need to know that. He didn't need to know anything about me.

FROM THE MOUTH
INSIDE THE MIND
@Rhysand
Notes:: <3

Artist Credit to Bingo

Rhysand

Done. This meeting was done. She was not in the mood for any conversation and he wasn’t going to sit and be insulted. Lifting his head, he shot a cold gaze at her. "You grow bored… Your attempts to insult grow weary. You make all conversations about you?" He said coldly, turning away.

As she started to leave, he glanced back at her. "Sounds as if you have your perfect life all set up then. If you ever decide that you would like a friend… I am sure your precious sovereign can find me." He left the olive branch out, though he had a feeling she would rather trample it. Standing up, he paid the bill for his drink and walked past her. This night was over and he had a sudden wish that he could once again disappear in a smear of shadow.

"Speaking"
@Asta
Notes: Casual closer… maybe later they can try again XD