Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Draw me close

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 64 — Threads: 7
Signos: 50
Vagabond Tactician
Female [She/Her/Hers/They/Theirs]  |  10 [Year 501 Spring]  |  18.2 hh  |  Hth: 7 — Atk: 13 — Exp: 29  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

P a n g a e a

Hold me in this wild, wild, world
'Cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
And in your heat I feel how cold it can get

The saurian woman was more than just a little relieved to see the cave. She could resist the sudden flush if energy. Her flight carrying her further into the valley, her bright laughter melding with his own as he took off, yelling at her for cheating. She grins cockily at him, "I wouldn't call it cheating, just taking advantage of my assets." She retorts, her tone brighter with the idea of the promised warmth. She follows him in, shaking off her body, her wings rustling to dislodge the snow that cling to the weathered webbing.

She patiently watched him as he explained his way around s fire, his words intriguing her. She'd heard those names before, though no one had ever answered her queries about them, usually telling her to go to some library. She would have to ask him about these gods later, right now she wanted to know about the fire. She was curious of the two rocks however. More so when. He struck them together. The sparks had her eyes widen

He retrieved the torch, a stout branch wrapped in a kind of tarry gauze. From a small pouch next to it, he pulled two small objects, one a jagged piece of stone in muted gray tones, the other a curling rod of metal, perhaps iron. He held the items up for Pangaea to see clearly in the light of the cave entrance. She could barely focus on the explanation of sparks summoning fire. "Wait, wait. You made Rock Lights and produced fire from it?"

She pauses as she realized he likely wouldn't understand her reference. So instead, she used the claws in her less injured legb(or rather the injury not on the ankle joint), and with a practiced movement, she snapped and dragged the claws, the strength causing friction that left sparks in the wake, "We dance with those." She explains with a soft laugh, "Met to demonstrate beauty in the danger, to dance among the sparks. Rex taught me about it." She explained, "But I did not know they could provide warmth."

She follows him deeper into the cave. The slit style of her pupils allowing her to see better in the lower lights. This area seemed large but she was curious about wherebrhet wouls stay. His request to follow had her nodding as he suddenly slid between a gap of the wall and stone. She followed him, carefully keeping her wings folded tight, following the hallway at his heels, until they finally emerged into a room.

Pangaea feels relief as he lights a larger fire, her gaze glancing around at shelving, boxes and the likes she could only kinda see. And then the fire jumped to life, and suddenly she could see. Really see. Furniture and baskets filled with items, shelves of preserved items (the fruit immediately catching her attention . . . This wasn't some small sheltering cave. This was . . . Her gaze turned to him, confused, "Gareth? What exactly is this place?" She asks as she carefully lowers herself to the ground near the fire, poking at the wounds on her legs, wincing at the raw stab of pain, before she glanced at him, gaze still slightly skeptic,  "Do . .  You have any of those healing plants that could . . . Help with this. I won't lie, it's not been a fun walk. And . . .  I'd like to see you work . . . If you'd be willing to explain what you're doing." She offers with no small amount of trust, as she flicks her tail, wings folding gently and her gaze curious about this 'healing'.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Gareth
Notes:. Awkward phone post.

Cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
Now draw me close

Artwork ©Sephinta

Played by Offline Scapeh [PM] Posts: 75 — Threads: 6
Signos: 645
Night Court Medic
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  18 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 22  |    Active Magic: N/A & N/A  |    Bonded: Noor (Irish Elk)

G A R E T H

The stallion had known the question would be coming, but it did nothing to lessen his discomfort at having to answer it. He had lead the mare to believe that they would be taking shelter in a quite literal hole in the wall. He couldn’t blame her, of course; anyone would have assumed it to be just a run of the mill cave, and if one were not already aware of the back entrance, it would seem to be just that. He liked it that way. It kept potential predators, poachers and unsavory types at bay. He nodded in agreement. “Alright, let me gather what I can.”

He moved to one of the makeshift shelves and pulled out several different bundles of dried herbs as well as a fairly large jar with some kind of dark paste in it. He took the items and set them aside, near to where Pangaea was laying.  “These I can use to help clean the infection, numb some of the pain. They’re not nearly as strong as what I have in my stores at home, but they should be better than nothing.” 

Gareth then moved over to one of the many cauldrons that were strewn about. “I’m going to need some fresh water, though,” he called over his shoulder. “Give me a moment to collect some of the snow from outside” He then picked up the pot by its handle, the cold metal harsh against his tongue and teeth, keeping his head stooped low as he moved back towards the entrance to the main cave. He was not gone for very long, before reemerging with a large snow pile, the flakes packed in tightly and overflowing to the best of his abilities. When all was said and done the snow would produce far less water than anticipated, he knew, and had hoped to combat some of this. 

He set the cauldron near to the fire before moving to retrieve a second, smaller pot and transferring some of the already melting snow to it as well.  “I’m also going to give you something to drink,” he said. “I’ll do my best to make sure it doesn’t taste awful, but it will help combat any sort of sickness or fever that may have made its way into your body that we don’t already know about, and should help soothe some of the overall ache.” He looked to her gently, carrying another bundle of herbs and another jar she might recognize as being raw honey. “I’m sure your muscles are well worn from the travel and could do with the rest. We’ll be safe here,” he reassured her. 

It did not take him long to prepare the tea, swirling a large glob of honey into the bottom of a cup. With everything laid out before him, they still had snow to melt, and he could not put off her earlier question any longer. The brute took a deep breath, wondering how much he should tell her before finally settling in. 

“I found this cave around the same time I saved Noor,” he explained, his voice steady, carefully controlled. “He couldn’t move very far, so… my childhood friend and I stayed here for a few days, fetching water from the falls outside and carrying in what we needed. Over the years I would return to this place, sometimes bringing things with me if I needed them.” There was a long pause as he debated telling her the whole truth. 

On one hand, he had no reason to lie to her, and on the other, he had no business airing his grievances or the secrets of others. He did not need to burden this woman with the woes of his past where it tangled so thoroughly with another. He could seldom think of a situation that would even prompt him to be so open about his heart, save for with Noor. No, he would have to hold that within himself for now. Besides, it was ultimately of little consequence to Pangaea’s healing, and it would have no effect on the length of their stay here, in any case. The storm would be deciding that for them, as it had only gotten worse since they had made camp. 

“I spent the last winter here,” he concluded, his gaze shifting towards the flames, watching the snow continue to melt.  “That is why so many of my items remain.” The small pot was now full of warm liquid and he carefully poured it into the cup he had set aside with the herbs. 

“Let that sit for a few minutes before drinking; it still needs to steep,” he said quietly before placing the cup near to her. The aroma wasn’t terribly unpleasant, but they likely had the honey to thank for that. It would still taste bitter, medicinal, but it would help her and he would be sure she finished it. 

Gareth shifted his body weight, tearing strips of cloth from one of the more tattered blankets. He would need several to clean and dress her wounds, to pull out any infection, to apply salves. The stallion had never really taken note how many bandages he would go through on a routine procedure, and now that he was lacking, they were sorely missed. 

"Speech" | | @Pangaea |

Vagabond Tactician
Female [She/Her/Hers/They/Theirs]  |  10 [Year 501 Spring]  |  18.2 hh  |  Hth: 7 — Atk: 13 — Exp: 29  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

P a n g a e a

He was putting the answer off . . . Whatever this cave was. He was hesitating. Pangaea wasn't going to push however. Instead settling down to warm herself by the fire, soaking in the heat. It didn't stop her from watching him curiously as he began to pick things up from around the room. Herbs and bundles. Cauldrons and items. She doesn't interrupt his work until he motions to an odd paste and herbs meant to fight infection and dull pain, "A few less aches and pain would be great. She admitted. He then needed to ferch some water, and for the first time in days, Pangaea found herself alone. She curled up, head falling over one forelimb. But her eyes never left the door. Waiting for for his returning, praying he would return.

What if he gets lost in the storm? Slides down an embankment. She forces her breath to slow, to calm down. He said he would return shortly. He wouldn't leave her now. As if proving her wary thoughts correct he suddenly was back, snow overfilling the cauldron. He hadn't left her, she wasn't about to be alone again. She doesn't lift her head, even as she watches him. He collected another pot before mentioning she would need to drink something, and only promising to try his best to make it not taste awful. "That doesn't sound so encouraging." She murmurs, but nods her head "But if you say it will help . .   I'll try it." She stated. The jar of honey was reassuring before her head snapped up when he reminded her they were safe, she could rest. She lowered her head again, "Do you think we will have to be here long?" She asked softly, her eyes half closing as she basked in the warmth of the fire and his voice.

He finally began to talk about the cave, and one eye opens. Regarding him, she is certain that there is more he is not saying, but offers him a smile, not pushing it. "Thank you for sharing it with me. Even if it wasn't much of a choice thanks to the storm." She offered instead. He sets the tea beside her and she sniffs it questionable, almost sneezing, before she sees him tearing strips. After the tea had set she finally took the first sip, immediately making a face and wrinkling her nose. "Do I have to drink it all?" She asks weakly before stealing her nerves and finishing the earth, medicinal drink, grateful for the honey at the bottom of the cup. "Gareth. You mentioned Tempus and Oriens? Do you . . . Know alot about those gods? Later . . . Would you .     Would you tell me about them. Please?"

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Gareth

Now draw me close

Artwork ©Sephinta

Night Court Medic
Male [He/Him/His]  |  11 [Year 499 Winter]  |  18 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 22  |    Active Magic: N/A & N/A  |    Bonded: Noor (Irish Elk)

G A R E T H

The warmth of the fire began to fill the room, the stone immediately around the pit losing their clammy touch. It was almost homey, cozy, in a very primitive way. The snap and crackle of the flames became background noise very quickly, the orange glow dancing across the walls, providing enough light to comfortably see by.  

Gareth debated briefly about telling the mare about his findings when he had gone to obtain the snow for the cauldron. He peered into their depths and found that it was still melting down steadily. He wanted the entire pot to be steaming hot before he got to work. It would be unpleasant if he tried to clean her wounds with cold rags, and he wanted the heat to help combat any infection. While the herbs and salves would do the bulk of the work, every choice mattered, especially so far from his home clinic. All the plants in the world would do them little good if he bandaged her with dirty linens. 

“I think,” he took a deep breath, deciding the truth would be best. It always was, in the end. “The storm will keep us overnight at the very least if not another day.” His gaze shifted towards the entrance to the main cavern. “Which is all the same to me- we would have needed to break for camp soon anyways, and I’d rather it have been here than out in the open.” 

He watched her finish the herbal mixture with a gentle expression, taking the cup from her when she showed that it was empty. He used the smaller cauldron to fish some hot water from the larger pot, then set to work on making her another cup, this time with more honey and a different mixture of herbs. The stallion placed it in front of her once more, nodding to the liquid. “That one is just to warm your insides.” 

He moved around to the other side of the fire, taking a log and sliding it carefully into the pit before returning to Pangaea’s side. The cauldron was finally reaching the last bit of snow, hopefully it wouldn’t be long before it was entirely liquefied and hot enough for him to use.  He settled down next to her, being mindful of her limbs and her personal space. He was going to need to get rather intimate with her when he went about cleaning and medicating her legs, so he wanted to respect her personal boundaries as much as he could for the time being. 

“I know a little, yes,” Gareth said. “I’m still waiting for the snow to melt and get hot enough so that I can start to clean your wounds,” he explained. “I can tell you what I know of them until then.” The stallion took a deep breath and then pushed the air through his nares in a great sigh. 

“Tempus,” he began, his vocals taking on a smooth, rumbling quality, the echo of the cavern repeating his words back to them like secrets. “Is the god of time. He is father to Vespera, the deity of Terrastella, Solis, the deity of Solterra, Caligo, the deity of Denocte, in whose realm we currently reside and is my home, and Oriens, whom I mentioned previously. Each of Tempus’ children is tasked with a different function of the day. While he oversees the balance of time itself, they are the ones who bring the sun and moon to rise, who help to bring life into the world of Novus.” 

The stallion cleared his throat. “I’m not terribly familiar with the specifics, as the herd I was born to was quite isolated here in the Arma. Our beliefs were… different from the standard, though when I went out on my own I did attempt to learn something of the gods, though my knowledge is cursory at best.” He looked at the mare sheepishly, his audits turned back  against his skull, embarrassed to admit this was one area where his wisdom was not quite up to par. 

“Oriens brings the sun over the horizon,” he continued, “and it is to my understanding that this birthing of the dawn is what leads some to credit him for the gift of flame. He is also known to be a scholarly type, so I suppose it is not terribly beyond reason that he would bestow that knowledge upon his followers to share with the rest of the world.”

"Speech" | | @Pangaea |

Vagabond Tactician

P a n g a e a

The warmth of the fire was a welcome embrace to the light-pelted woman. She eagerly accepted the heat as it actively set to work drying her coat and hide. She knew it would do little to her bound back hair. The thick curls, even if down, would take a long time to dry. But now, bound back to keep the long locks controlled, that dry time would be even longer. Thankfully they were only damp from the snow. Not waterlogged. She did swish her tail closer to the fire, keeping a distance to avoid it catching aflame, and her mane flipped to the side of her mane closest to the flame.

More than the fire, however, she liked the aesthetic of the cave-shelter. She had begrudgedly entered establishments before, uncomfortable in the urban environment and the walls that contained her . . . . Trapped her. Especially after the life she led, both the wild lands of her home world, and the white building she had been trapped in. But this place wasn't suffocating, it was nice. Comfortable, Cozy . . . Homey, but primitive enough to feel familiar. It would help to bridge the gap for the wild-raised woman, help the cities feel less restricting, and less unfamiliar.

She glances up at Gareth when he starts to speak, a small frown tugging at her muzzle when he sighed deeply. At his words she offered a reassuring smile, " If the weather is acting up, there is little we can do. I would much rather be waiting out the storm in here, rather than caught out there." She assured.

As his gaze shifted back to the entrance, she carefully stood and approached his side, " Don't worry. Even if we are stuck for the next day, or even three, it'll be fine. And I don't mind the break from traveling, or the warmth of the fire."  She offers a small, and reassuring smile before returning to her spot by the fire.

She had to make a face when he sat another cup in front of her, before looking up at him with wide, pleading eyes, "Will this one taste better?"  She asks almost pitifully, before taking a cautious sip, visibly showing her relief at the taste. The warmth that gathered in her belly as she slowly sipped on it was a relief.  Her gaze returned to him, watching as he added a log to the fire before returning to her side, and settling down next to her. His body instantly provided extra warmth, warmth that she had to remind herself not to cuddle into.

Once again she is hit by his earthly scent, heavy but comforting. A scent she had already associated with him, all herbs and linens and . . . Good. She distracts these thoughts by focusing on his words, his promise to tell her what he knew while the snow continued to melt.  The smooth rumble of his voice was its own kind of temptation, though  But it did make for easy listening as her eyes drifted shut. He explained these names and their importance, these idols worshipped in Novus. Her eyes open when he clears his throat, and she sees the sheepish expression on a expression on his face.   She lifted her head at seeing his expression, a reassuring smile on her face, " It's all right, you still know far more than me. I won't judge you for being raised on different beliefs, I promise." She assured.

She is intrigued by the story of fire, her head dropping again as she enjoyed the sound of his voice. It was alarming how used to him she had gotten in the past couple of days. Now, even this close to him, she found herself not minding. Somewhere along the way that temporary trust had shifted into something more . . . More real. And while the acknowledgment was scary, she was also relieved. To have someone she could trust. " I find the lore and beliefs so interesting," The woman says softly, "There were no beliefs like that back home. Or none I was privy to." She admits after a moment. " It was just a land of basics survival, struggling to survive. I like that Novus isn't like that."

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Gareth

Now draw me close

Artwork ©Sephinta

Night Court Medic

G A R E T H

The stallion was grateful to see that she had enjoyed the second cup of tea, the one meant to bring her warmth and comfort. Her affirmations that their pending stay here in the cave did something to soothe his nerves. Not that either of them had much of a choice in sheltering here, but the fact she did not feel alarmed or trapped was a good thing. It was a sign of trust, her ease in which she moved about him, in which she spoke. Little by little, Pangaea was beginning to settle in at his side, and this olive branch that they had both extended would be most valuable when he got to work. 

Pain had a tendency to break tenuous bonds, and he could only hope that she would understand that her back limbs may have to feel worse before they got better. The cold had likely numbed some of the pain, but the use of her muscles, climbing over the cliffs and valleys of the Arma, would have put a strain on her, even if she did not feel it yet. Gareth, who was in good physical health by all accounts, had begun to feel the ache of travel by the time they had crested that final ridge before the cave. He could only imagine that her body, less adapted to the cold, mangled, starving, would have been the worse for wear, even if she did not have the energy to show it. He resolved that she needed at least one day of rest before they moved on; even if the storm blew through the mountains and the pass was clear tomorrow, they would stay, though he found that swift timeline to be unlikely.

His amber pools watched her as she settled down, closing her eyes and listening to him. For a predator to allow themselves to be boxed in (for that’s what a cave was, a large stone box) and then to rest their eyes, one of their most valuable assets in survival, it spoke of great trust. Though, after his time with her, he had come to realize she was not a true predator. Unlike the mountain lions that roamed these peaks, or the Teryr as she had called the creature who had wrought such damage, she had not been born with the inherent superiority in her being. The belief that it was her right, her very essence to hunt, to kill, to thrive on the corpses of others. He had yet to meet a natural predator who did not have the confidence in itself, the understanding that it’s one purpose was to become strong; survival at all costs. It was this last instinct he found to be the one the mare had most in common with predators of old. Survival was a great equalizer. If you found yourself not a predator, you were prey. What little she had spoken of her childhood and home life, he could gather that her world had forced her to that path, to a mindset that would help her to live, even if it was not her true nature. 

In the firelight, with gentle tones speaking words of reassurance, on the mountains when she had laughed, these were her true nature. Or rather, they were glimpses of it, anyways, these secret things that must be protected. Gareth understood that; some things needed to be guarded, lest you provide weapons to the enemy without knowing him. It was maybe a selfish way of being, and he had worked the last few years to rectify that, to travel into the city of his home, to heal those who came to him with open arms. There were only two living beings in all of the world that knew him, truly; his darkest thoughts and deepest regrets. While he had been genuine with Pangaea, his inner self he had kept at a distance, shrouded behind thick forests and brambles. He could not blame her for doing the same. 

“In most places, yes,” Gareth said. “There are those lands which are inhospitable, or troublesome. I would not be able to seclude myself within the shifting sands of the Solterran desert as I do within the forests of Denocte, though a lighter crafted beast might have no qualms with doing so.” He shook his head, twisted locks trembling along his thick neck. “But you are right. Aside from a rare few cases, Novus is blessed with plenty, and often you will not find trouble unless you go in search of it.” 

The stallion craned his neck to peer into the cauldron, finally seeing a glimmer of water in the depths, hot enough for his liking. He nodded to her legs, lifting one makeshift bandage and soaking it in the pot while he spoke. 

“I’m going to clean the outside of your wounds first, try to remove as much debris as I can.” He rose to his hooves then, walking around her back side and to the first limb. He would need to see how she responded to this simple cleaning first before he ventured to pull out the infection. She may not be so grateful to him as he was scraping puss and useless flesh from her wounds, and while he intended to be upfront with her about what he would be doing, to tell her everything at once seemed like it might be a detriment.

People didn’t like to hear that you would be rooting about inside their body and yanking out offending articles so that they could be properly cleaned and bandaged. There was something far too intimate about that, and there had always been hesitation when it was needed. He may have been a trained medic, but the stallion was also a stranger, and it went against some folk’s nature to let any but a loved one stroke their insides. 

He took the damp linen and chose the wound that looked the least egregious, first just laying the warm bandage to the side of the rended flesh, allowing her to become comfortable with the feeling of him touching her before beginning his work. He was gentle with her, moving slowly so that he could gauge her sensitivity and adjust as necessary. 

"Speech" | | @Pangaea |

Vagabond Tactician

P a n g a e a

Had the stallion asked, and Pangaea felt comfortable enough to admit, she would have admitted in an instant to the pain. She was rugged through, exhausted with aches settling in all over. Not just from her wounded legs, but even her wings from flying the last couple of days. But also from the knowledge she had pushed herself to not be a burden, walked faster to keep up, letting him keep his original pace when slowing down wouldn't have caused her as much stress on her body now. But it likely would have caught them out in the storm. She may have pushed herself, but she considers it for good reason. 

When he spoke of the more inhospitable points of Novus, her muzzle dips slightly into a frown. She feels a rush of jealousy that this is what he sees as hospitable versus inhospitable. "The world I come from has many features and biomes like Novus, but considerably hotter. Mountains that only allowed the toughest of plants and shrugs to grow on its dry peaks, where water was rare. Jungles so thick with humidity, infection sets in within hrs of an injury. Deserts so long, you will face a predator rather than enter the wastelands. Monsters taller than trees with teeth sharp and as long as your leg hunting all through out. Smaller reptiles that hunt in packs, will corner and ambush you with out warning. Novus may have lands that are difficult to survive in based on how you may be built. But each more I awoke back home, it was a fear of if I'd make it through the day. Each time I lay my head down, I fear if I'd be eaten by a nocturnal predator before daylight would rise. Novus . . . . Novus is a haven to that place." Her voice was small as she spoke, her head pressed close to her chest to obscure the pain of the memories. "I certainly have no desire to Court trouble while I'm here." She adds, "I think I'm owed by now an easier one"

It's not much longer before it is time for him to treat her, explaining his intention to clean the wounds first. She watches him dip the water before he moves with the lesser injury rather than the limb with the violent bite marks at her ankle joint. She doesn't appear bothered at the first touch of the rag to her flesh, the hot water relaxing some of the tension in the muscles. When he set out to begin cleaning the jagged flesh her wing is drawn to her face. That swift move offers two things, the first is the hard claw of her wing for her to bite down on, the second is that webbing that obscures the pinpoint of tears from her eyes.

But she doesn't stop him. In fact, she shifts the position of her leg enough to expose the wound better so he wouldn't have to reach awkward angles. It didn't stop the occasional whine from her throat, the sound almost birdlike. But she knew this was just the start, and she needed to trust him to do his job. So she half clung to her wing, biting down on her claw when he hit a more tender spot, but otherwise trying to be brave and get through out it, making sure the tears leaking down her cheeks weren't visible.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Gareth

Now draw me close

Artwork ©Sephinta

Night Court Medic

G A R E T H

Gareth worked as swiftly as he dared, moving from one wound to the next. The fact that the woman moved to cover her face did not elude him, but he made no comment. If he’d had a wrap of leather or something else for her to bite on, he would have given it to her. He still might try to scrounge up something, if she was responding to the exterior cleaning this way. Even through the warmth of the bandage he could tell that the flesh was burning to the touch, red and swollen. He frowned, looking at the more injured limb. He had decided to start with the smaller wounds to help her build a tolerance to his prodding, as he would with any patient, but as he worked his way towards the bite mark, he could see that it was worse than he initially anticipated. 

The joint was inflamed from both use and infection. The cold had done much to keep her from feeling, but he knew that as the fire continued to warm her bones she would be in agony. He chastised himself, for walking her so long, for not having been closer to home, for not having the right herbs to truly help her heal. He amended his timeline once more. Three days. He would keep her here for three days before they started again. And that would only be if she could stomach the trek down the mountain.  His home was perhaps a days travel from the cave in the best of conditions, but with the blizzard as well as her injury it would easily be double that. 

The chirps she made were not unsettling, though they were unusual. The medic was used to the sounds of pain coming from patients, especially those who had tussled with things they shouldn’t.

“You mentioned that you were caught up with a… Teryr?” Gareth inquired as he moved to soak another bandage in the hot water, a used pile to one side. He would need to tear more strips of linen before he was done with her. The stallion wondered briefly if he might run out of blanket before then. 

“What was that about, then?” His tone was gentle, not accusatory, but curious. He stood,  then, moving back over to one of the makeshift shelves to gather another set of herbs. He wanted to be sure that he provided her with another physic, and maybe look for some hide she might be able to sink her teeth into. He didn’t want to treat her wing as well as her legs. 

"Speech" | | @Pangaea | Short post is short 

Vagabond Tactician

P a n g a e a

He was working quickly, as much as possible - to which she was relieved, would rather he get it done as quickly as possible. She was not prepared for how bad it would hurt. She had dealt with injuries and pain before, but to have wounded prodded at was a new experience, especially one's that had fostered for so long. He seemed to slow, to pause, and she slowly unclamps her jaws from her claw digit, her gaze slowly lifted as she blinks back to tears. His eyes are on the deep laceration of where teeth had slid through flesh and tough saurian hide like jello.

His expression was difficult to read even as he set himself u to soak another bandage. He asks her about the Teryr then, and she assumes he is done for the moment as he stands. Her eyes follow him, pausing to gather her wits, "I am surprised you are not aware. . . They are large beast with great wings and long claws and teeth in Solterra. Had been causing a problem for Levi, so he had organized a hunt for one. There were eight? Or nine in out party that set out to attack it. I was one of the least injured.

"I was trying to go for its eyes in the sky, and it just turned around and snapped. At least it was just my limbs. And they didn't break. It crunched a few wings in others . . . I assume now what they did for me after was meant to be healing. But the rushed, didn't explain what they were doing or why .  . . The wrapping on my limbs had inhibited movement in such a way that I practically ripped them off with in days. I understand normal equine having a standard body. But my hind legs are not equine, and the methods they uses to secure them were more painful and restricting.
" She demonstrates with the les injured leg, the full radius of movement of her ankle, hip, knee. All meant to support bipedal movements for limited periods of time. 

She shifts then, standing long enough to turn and lay down on her other side, so the leg with the swollen, angry bite at her ankle was more visible. She sighed before laying fully on her side, enjoying the coolness of the floor against her aching limbs as the exhaustion from their trekking set further into her weary bones. "Gareth?" She calls his name gently. Her eyes watching him from a distance, "You said you're only cleaning the outside at the moment . . . That means the inside will be worse?" She asks, her gaze returning to her ankle. "I know you wanted to try starting with the lesser wounds and such. But. Maybe just tackle everything with my ankle. Get the worst out of the way so the rest of it won't be near as bad in comparison?

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Gareth

Now draw me close

Artwork ©Sephinta

Night Court Medic

G A R E T H

The fire crackled pleasantly as the mare spoke, explaining to him how she came by her injuries. His audits flick back to listen to her as she talks about being one of the lucky ones, realizing now that there had been attempts to heal her, she just hadn’t known. He nodded, more to himself than to her, confirming his earlier suspicions. Though he hadn’t outright said it, he’d had an inkling that she must have been treated at some point early on to the attack. While her infection had gotten severe, it was most centrally located at her ankle, where the most damage had been done. As he had been cleaning her other wounds, he had been able to see that these were far less troubling than he had anticipated. Although inflamed, swollen from the arduous travel, they were already beginning to heal on their own. He would have to do little work to maintain them, which meant that he could focus his efforts on the bite wound. 

He turned his body to watch her as she moved her limb about, demonstrating how her hind legs worked and he studied them, for what short time he was able. “Thank you,” he said, “For showing me.” He was grateful for the knowledge. The healer could see how she would have been uncomfortable if her limbs had been wrapped in the same way as any other equine. For as nimble as some could be, their kind had what he could call ‘reliable’ joints. You know how to treat one, you could treat them all, no matter the age or size, they all moved similarly- reliably. Pangaea was an entirely different beast, functioning more akin to the running lizards of Solterra, though he’d only heard tell of them, not seen any with his own eyes. If she hadn’t had the foresight to have shown him this structure of her limbs, he may well have gotten tunnel vision and wrapped her in the same way.  

He returned his attention to the herbs he was collecting, still searching for a strip of hide she might be able to put between her teeth. It was in vain, though, as he didn’t want to put things off any longer, and neither did she. He would have to make do, and hopefully convince her it was better to scream than it would be to rip into her wing muscles. Strange reptilian legs he could handle, but he did not trust himself to be able to repair her flight appendage, especially not with the small stores of rudimentary supplies he had here. 

The stallion nodded as he moved back to the fireside with the herbs as well as the mortar and pestle. He settled back down next to her leg, glad to see she had moved to provide easier access to it without his prompting.  

“The good news,” he sighed, arranging his collection in front of him, including removing some kind of small sewing kit from his side satchel. He wasn’t sure what he would find as he worked, and he wanted to be prepared.  “Is that apart from your ankle, your other wounds are relatively minor. No infection to deal with. Those I should be able to bandage without much more trouble.”

He lifted the bundle of herbs that he had fetched so she might see them before depositing the leaves into the mortar and pestle, beginning to grind them. “These,” he explained as he continued to work the leaves into a powder. “I am hoping to use to numb the muscle. I don’t know how effective the paste will be, since these herbs are not fresh and therefore not as potent.” He moved to take some of the water from the cauldron. Although he had been dunking the linens into it, the water was clean and hot, and he needed the liquid to finish what he was doing. It had been a long time since he had been called to work in the field, on short supply and limited resources. He would need to take advantage of the blizzard and gather as much snow as he could.  “I don’t have enough here to justify a concentrated batch just now. If we are going to be here for a while, I want to be sure I can continue to clean and bandage this wound as necessary.”  

Gareth then looked to Pangaea, his eyes warm, soulful, though he could not hide the hint of pleading. He knew what would soon be coming. He set the paste to one side and then pulled the hot rag from the cauldron.  “I won’t lie to you,” he said, his tone low. “This will be agonizing. The wound is deep, through muscles and around tendons. It doesn’t look like anything was severed, or you wouldn’t have been able to move it at all. But with the infection,” He looked to the limb and then back to her. “I need to pull all of it out, to relieve the pressure and to prevent any further damage.” He moved around the surface of the wound gently, removing the debris, the crust of infection, clearing an area for him to apply the salve, hoping that it would be enough. 

“The fact that it hasn’t started to rot honestly amazes me,” he said, shaking his head in disbelief. The stallion returned his gaze to hers, his whiskey amber pools brimming with emotion.

“You are an incredibly strong woman, Pangaea.” He let the statement hang in the air between them. He needed her to believe it, with every fibre of her being.  “I need you to be strong. If you must scream, scream, but for god's sake do not stifle yourself with other limbs. You’ll only end up hurting yourself more.”  

"Speech" | | @Pangaea |

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »