Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - The Next Step

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Modes

Played by Offline Mouser [PM] Posts: 34 — Threads: 10
Signos: 855
Dusk Court Soldier
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  9 [Year 501 Winter]  |  14.2 hh  |  Hth: 12 — Atk: 8 — Exp: 10  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

Sunlight beamed down from the clear skies overhead, driving the sunset mare to cling to the sides of buildings as she passed down another cobblestone street. At early afternoon, the temperature was still climbing, and while not outright unbearable it was still uncomfortable enough for Phoebe to seek every cool shadow she happened to pass by, small bits of respite to be claimed whenever possible. Another little sigh slid through her lips as she ghosted through another shaded alcove, her magenta eyes closing in momentary bliss. She could only imagine how unbearable the weather would be in a few weeks' time, when summer was at its height and the heat was impossible to escape; she was in no immediate hurry to meet it.

She was, however, eager to locate a particular residence--operation?--that would assist in a longtime goal of hers. Since her childhood, Phoebe had longed to become a defender of those in need of one, each radiant heart that bloomed and brightened the world in which they lived. They deserved someone to watch over them, protectors to interpose themselves when danger threatened to snuff out their light. She saw it as her calling, her life's goal...only her efforts to achieve it had been meager if nonexistent of late. It was high time she put a more honest effort into becoming this better version of herself she so longed to claim.

In her mind, that began with arming herself properly. She had seen others wandering the court and beyond who wore swords, axes, shields as extensions of their own being, held aloft by the magical gift that embedded itself in every creature to enter Novus. It had seemed strange at first, a foreign concept to the young mare, but now it felt pertinent, a necessity to alleviate the seed of failure and guilt burying itself in her chest. If she acquired a weapon, if she mastered its use, she could at last properly defend her home.

Or...was she going about this the wrong way? There was, after all, another option--one just as tempting if not just slightly farther out of reach than the acquisition of a simple weapon. Just as a new magic to lift and carry objects had made itself an integral part of her being, there were other magics that could be learned, wondrous, miraculous shows of strength, power, and intelligence that defied expectation and could catch even the most stalwart of opponents off guard. Perhaps even more tempting than a weapon, magic too had become a dream, something else to achieve to better her desired role within the Court.

As the thought stole through her mind, Phoebe's surefooted forward momentum stalled, slowing until she stopped just inside another shadowy pocket of the street. A worrisome frown etched itself upon her brow and her expression pinched in uncomfortable thought, until her entire posture seemed to deflate in place with a quiet but audible groan. "Why does this have to be so difficult?" she grumbled to herself with an agitated swish of her tail, trapped in place by a sudden, heavy bout of indecision.

A weapon over magic...was she making the right choice?

Played by Offline Chaosy [PM] Posts: 77 — Threads: 21
Signos: 35
Dusk Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  11 [Year 500 Spring]  |  17 hh  |  Hth: 12 — Atk: 8 — Exp: 24  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Neema (Maned Wolf)

Uzuri

« No damsel in distress, no need to save me. »

The citadel seemed lonely, those that had once called it home seeming to have disappeared. Outside of those that worked within the stone walls, her home was barren of life. She found herself wandering the silent halls while Neema played in the courtyard, the maned wolf permanently in puppy stages. Shaking her head, the mare paced toward the exit, her head held high and wings tucked to her sides.

The court was lively, equines wandering and voices causing chaos on the breeze. Yet the mare found that she loved it. The murmur of words and the life that was blossoming around her made her smile. This was what she wanted her home to be, a place of life and happiness. Yet there was a small part of her that was worried about the future. Would Liam stepping down change everything as the times changed? Would she be able to keep the court thriving? Could she make Dusk better? 

As she wandered, the thoughts swamped her. A sudden voice caught her attention, a question that seemed flung through the air. Uzi turned her head to take in the mare that spoke, her hues making the sovereign smile. 

"May I ask what you are finding difficult?" She asked softly, approaching the mare and dipping her head in greeting. She wasnt wearing her armor, but she did have her blade strapped to her flank. Not that she was afraid of her court… but better safe than sorry. Vespera knew that life was rather chaotic and she didn’t feel completely at ease in her position yet.

"Uzuri"
"Neema"
@Phoebe
Notes:
Credit: Character by Chaosy, Art by LizzArtStudios

Played by Offline Morphi [PM] Posts: 76 — Threads: 14
Signos: 1,400
Dusk Court Soldier
Male [He/his]  |  6 [Year 505 Spring]  |  23 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 42  |    Active Magic: Aegis  |    Bonded: N/A

Aeon

So tell me your secrets ; and join me in pieces
TO FALL AND REWRITE THE BITTER END

His mind was most at ease when he was doing his security rounds. He hadn’t exactly been assigned this task outright. His wings and his restless nature made him well suited for the job. Often lost in thought his mind worked best when he kept active and moving. This was a way that he was coming to memorize the exact borders and appearances of the dusklands. Knowing what was normal, was part of knowing when something was abnormal. He kept a reasonable pace and made several checks most days. Coming through the middle of the courtlands always reassured him that some chaos hadn’t broken out while he was in the outer reaches of their territories. 

It wasn’t so long ago he was a colt covered in a heavy layer of soot who couldn’t fly. He had been so lost until he had been taken into the dusk court by Bucky and Liam. His coming into adulthood also coincided with having had finally shedding the remnants of his burnt flesh. He had been lanky and awkward when he crashed, and now he had grown into his body. He was muscled and determined to ensure the safety of dusk. 

Finding a clearing he carefully tilted his wings to slow down his speed and prepare for landing. Landing cleanly as a large stallion remained a challenge. But practice was improving his landing technique, slowly. For now he needed to make sure it was reasonably clear and he had to take his time. He landed with a few flaps and a few loose feathers flying through the air. 

It wasn’t long before he continued on and came across Uzi talking to an unfamiliar mare. He approached them both, and dipped his head in both their directions in greeting. He caught Uzi commenting on the mare's frustration, but not exactly about what she was frustrated about. 

“Uzuri, all is well in the outer reaches of the court.” he said in greeting to Uzuri before turning to the stranger. “My name is Aeon, I'm a dusk soldier, I don’t believe we’ve met. What are you struggling with?” he asked softly, the warmth visible within his red eyes. 

Dusk Court Soldier
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  9 [Year 501 Winter]  |  14.2 hh  |  Hth: 12 — Atk: 8 — Exp: 10  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

May I ask what you are finding difficult?

The soft grumble, more of a hum, issuing from the indecisive mare's muzzle quickly became a startled squeak as she was caught off guard, her entire body seizing in an initial second of panic. Wide-eyed, she swung her head around and her magenta gaze fell upon the winged shoulder of the woman who had approached her, Phoebe's diminutive height putting her in line of sight with it. A flickering spark of recognition ignited within her upon quickly studying the wing--the unique coloration was unmistakable--before she panned her gaze up and took in the kind earthy eyes, the beautiful blue feathered markings encircling the left, the warm, welcoming smile. It was her. Uzuri!

Even freshly appointed, there was no mistaking the visage of Dusk's newest leader, standing before her in the flesh and politely inquiring after her dilemma. Flustered, embarrassed to have been caught so unawares--wasn't she supposed to be a soldier?--Phoebe sucked in a hasty breath and turned to face her fully. "Sovereign Uzuri!" Her head dipped into a formal bow to hide the sudden onset of nerves, though she mustered a sheepish little smile in the same motion. "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, I-"

Uzuri, all is well in the outer reaches of the court.

Another joined them, and Phoebe found herself looking up, up, into the ruby eyes of a young gilded stallion standing head and shoulders over her, even towering over Uzuri. She glanced between the two of them, feeling suddenly just how small she was in comparison when usually it could be overlooked, but the second the stallion mentioned being a soldier himself her bright eyes sparked with interest. A soldier! Another soldier! And one who seemed confident in his duties, who carried himself without arrogance but with surety in his presentation. She was both envious and ecstatic to now know of another who shared her rank. Aeon.

It was possibly only a second that she stared between them, captured by the moment, by their combined concern, but it felt as if she'd been standing there dumbly for an entirely minute before she tried to school her expression into one of carefree gratitude. "Oh, it's nothing really," she answered with a flippant laugh, surprising herself with how quickly the lie came to her. Why did it suddenly feel like a bad thing to admit she'd been indecisive about how to proceed with her duties? Why was she suddenly so nervous of what they may think to know it? "I was just, you know..." Another little laugh followed, her uncertainty creeping into the sound, and as she looked between the two of them--one a dutiful soldier and one an armed leader--Phoebe felt again her shortcomings of late and the sour disappointment it left within her.

The bright look on her expression became forced and began to slip, slowly, slowly, before she let it go entirely. Ears drooping, she lowered her gaze and shuffled in place on nervous hooves. In a moment of earnest effort, she tried again. "My name is Phoebe. I'm a soldier here too, but...I haven't been trained and I don't know what I'm doing. My job is supposed to be protecting people and I don't know how to do it. But I want to learn! I want to know how to use weapons and magic and how to fight. I'm willing to do anything to become better." Her guilty voice took on a strengthened quality, her resolve to improve strong no matter her previous shortcomings, no matter that she was dwarfed by her more experienced peers even in that moment. Phoebe looked between them with a stalwart expression, hoping to convince them as much as herself of her determination and drive. She was going to get better at this. Just as soon as she figured out how.

ooc: @Uzuri @Aeon Apologies for the length, the words just kept coming ^^;

Dusk Court Sovereign
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  11 [Year 500 Spring]  |  17 hh  |  Hth: 12 — Atk: 8 — Exp: 24  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Neema (Maned Wolf)

Uzuri

The mare turned her head when the familiar voice echoed through her ears. She smiled at Aeon, dipping her head in greeting. "That is good. From what I have gathered with my meetings with the sovereigns of the various courts, right now is quiet. I am thankful for it as I figure things out." She laughed softly as she turned back to the other mare.

Her surprise made Uzi frown softly. "I apologize. I had no desire to startle you." She answered softly, offering a warm smile. "And please, just Uzi. Sovereign is just so… intimidating." She laughed as she shook her head. She listened to the mare as she explained herself and thoughts.

"I was much like you once upon a time. I started my life as a soldier, pushing myself to be the best I could be to the point of excessive. Regardless of that past, I am more than willing to teach you anything that I can. Anything you need, I can do my best to make it work for you. If you are seeking specific weapons or anything, I have a… collection… of pieces that you would be more than welcome to." She answered, instantly liking the mare and her drive. This was the type of interaction that she craved, a moment in time to really get to know those that looked to her for guidance. 

"Is there any particular thing that I can help you with? Sparring, training, weapons? I can’t say that I am particularly prone to anything magical, but outside of that I am willing to help. If you are seeking help with magic, I know a few that I could direct you toward within the court." Her words were warm, almost motherly as she gazed at the mare. She turned to Aeon. "This goes for you as well." Another warm smile crossed her lips as she felt her heart grow a bit.

"Uzuri"
"Neema"
@Aeon @Phoebe
Notes: <3

Dusk Court Soldier
Male [He/his]  |  6 [Year 505 Spring]  |  23 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 42  |    Active Magic: Aegis  |    Bonded: N/A

Aeon

He couldn’t help but smile and feel the warmth grow within his chest. This felt like family, it was this interaction that let hope grow within him. He had hope and faith that under Uzi they would be led to greater heights and she would continue the work that Liam had been putting into the court. As time continued to whirl past them it became more evident why Liam had chosen her. She was reliable and she was amongst her people. She was skilled in both her craft and her interactions with her citizens. 

He mulled for a moment over what she seemed to be struggling with. He chuckled in a soft warm rumble “When I first arrived at dusk I couldn't fly. I couldn’t use the mind power that resides in all of us. I couldn’t read either. There is always much to learn, and we continue to learn together.” He wasn’t embarrassed to look back on his beginnings. He had learnt much and he had achieved much there was still more to complete. 

“The tribe was born into, fought only with hooves and teeth, we had no such mind powers to allow us to move objects. I still have no competency with objects or weapons. Perhaps that's something we could learn together?” he asked softly to them both. His mind was for a moment back atop the volcano watching others fighting in the air from the ground. They had swooped and dived, clashing in the sky. Their bloodline ran within him, but he never had the opportunity to train with them as he was grounded. It wasn’t until he stumbled down the volcano and landed in Novus he was able to find a place to call home. 

“Where are you from Phoebe? I’m sure there’s knowledge or skills you could teach us also”, Aeon’s natural curiosity had not diminished with his growth. His mind was forever curious about the world he had fallen into, with each piece of information he continued to build his knowledge ba

Dusk Court Soldier

When her proclamation was met with warm smiles and encouragement from both sides, the unconscious breath Phoebe had been holding slowly began to release. There was no doubt or discouragement, no inclination that she wasn't suited for this lifestyle she seemed hellbent upon following. It surprised her how ready Uzi and Aeon both were to help, in their own ways, and how supportive their feedback was right from the onset. A tiny, almost imperceptible sigh slipped from her muzzle, accompanied by a relieved smile. This was the sort of reaction she'd been hoping for. The type of reaction she never would have received back home with her parents. Here, at least, she could follow her dreams without restraint or obstruction.

Feeling her worries, her nervousness, quickly retreating, a new, budding excitement took its place, evident within the brightening of her star-dappled features. "Oh, I'm not from anywhere exciting," she answered, deciding it was probably best to start at the beginning--her beginning--to answer them both. "I mean, it's just another region kind of far from here. It was nice, don't get me wrong, but..." She made a face. "They weren't very encouraging. They kept telling me I was too small to be a soldier, that they didn't want me to hurt myself and I should leave the fighting to the bigger horses, you know." She tried to laugh, as if the thought was silly and absurd, but even now the recollection of her old herd's reaction still stung.

Phoebe took in a breath and straightened, gently nudging away the lingering hurt to make room for her more positive future. "Which is why I'm here. I want to learn how to properly fight and be strong like all the other soldiers I've been watching. I was actually hoping this afternoon to find a place where I could get a weapon--to train with at least, if I couldn't keep it for myself. It seemed easier than finding someone to teach me magic." She chuckled again, but there was a new spark to her eye, the realization setting in that finding someone to teach her might not be so out of reach. Everything all at once seemed to be falling into place. She couldn't believe it. She was ready to begin now.

Quickly, she added, "I'd love to start training, both just to make myself stronger and maybe with a weapon to get familiar with that...if I could borrow one to work with?" Again, she looked between the two, expectant now of further positive responses. A weapon from her sovereign, training with a fellow soldier...she couldn't imagine a better turn of luck!

ooc: @Uzuri @Aeon

Dusk Court Sovereign

Uzuri

Uzi listened to the pair, a smile on her features as she took in the conversation. "Sometimes it is the smallest ones that you need to watch for. They have a way of using their smaller size to be more agile and deadly than pure brutish strength." She commented to Phoebe, brown eyes glittering. Even without being asked to train the mare, she was already coming up with ideas for what would suit her the best. What weapons would fit her movements and abilities. 

She gazed at each carefully, working through how to articulate her next thought. "If you, both of you that is, would like… We can set up a time to go through possible weapons ideas and even training with them. Of course, this is totally up to each of you. I will not put pressure upon either of you." There was an idea forming in her head, a thought that would make her court stronger. But she needed to spend more time thinking upon it. First things first, she needed to strengthen the court ranks and create her council to help her. There were ideas in her mind, names that had come to mind as she thought of each rank. 

A moment of thought passed through her mind, reminding her that she had work waiting back at the forge. Shoving the thoughts away, she smiled softly. "I do apologize if I seem awkward… The challenges of taking over the reins of the court and trying to figure out what needs to be done has been a challenge to say the least. You two have given me ideas to think of. I am so ready to make Dusk something powerful and connected to each other." She said softly, dropping her head to rub her nose on her knee in a move of shyness. Lifting her head, she smiled broadly at the soldiers before her and felt a surge of pride. This was a place to start, a move she could make that would be worth her role.

"Uzuri"
@Phoebe @Aeon
Notes: She is a bit distracted with thoughts lol <3

Dusk Court Soldier

Aeon

His ears were perked upright as he listened carefully to what was being said. Sometimes he had to make an extra effort to concentrate and not be distracted. This topic however was easier then most to focus on. Somehow if he was allowed to move during serious discussion he felt the cogs within his mind would move more smoothly. That was unless he had exercised hard and spent his restless energy. Perhaps it was a side effect from his patrolling, perhaps it was a personality trait; or simply his age. With those he trusted he seemed to be able to relax a little more. He trusted Uzi as much as any other being, but he didn’t know Phoebe well. He suspected however that this would change in time. They held the same rank now within the Dusk court after-all. 

He wasn’t sure if fighting with a weapon would be for him in the end. His blood lines had been bred and fought for centuries to fight with their bodies. At least that's what the stories his family had told said. The truth he couldn’t be sure of. He hadn’t even seen the upper reaches of his childhood home. It was a conflicted feeling, that a small fragment of him wished to soar and show to them just who he had become. But he also recognised that he would not be welcomed. He was now a foreigner as much as anyone else. Furthermore the volcano had been nowhere in sight since his arrival. It was time to simply accept that this would be his life from now on. 

I will happily participate in all training exercises, I will happily be a target practice also if required. I can fly and I have the strength to take it.” He said with excitement. He had been working hard and he was proud of the strength he had been gaining. “I'm sure there's some kind of padding you could cover me with as well” the mental image of such a thing made him chuckle openly. 

“I look forward to our strength growing together Phoebe” he said with confidence and growing excitement. “Do you want to come with me on the next patrol?” he offered gently. He was unsure if this was something she would be interested in. But he felt it important for every citizen to know their borders, so he would offer it to everyone he met. Whether they accepted it or not. 

ooc: feels like we are coming closer to a natural close to this thread - w. view to another?

Dusk Court Soldier

Listening to Uzi's words lifted Phoebe's spirits more than she could describe, bolstering the dream she held dear and strengthening her resolve to see them reach fruition. She smiled a little more brightly, lifting her posture with a subtle pride. They weren't simply encouraging but validating, a practical demonstration of just how one with the sunset mare's stature might contribute on the battlefield, against foes much larger and lumbering than she could be on her light hooves. How come they couldn't see that? It was difficult for her even now to set aside the disappointment she carried with her toward her home herd and parents for their lack of support. Even if they had only been worried for her safety, it hadn't been right for them to stifle her aspirations. To hold her back. Here, at least, she could be free.

An offer followed, for training and a trial period with weaponry, and her heart soared. Her smile brightened into a grin and she bounced slightly in place, energy thrumming through her body. Part of her wanted to dart off and begin the process now, but that was impractical. Uzuri needed more time to think, more time to prepare, and Phoebe couldn't expect her to have it all set and ready to go so quickly. She had already waited so long; what was a little longer? Her bright eyes shifted to Aeon as he agreed to the proposal, even going so far as to offer himself for target practice which drew a soft chuckle out of the little soldier. She couldn't say the idea was wholly tempting--the thought of outright attacking another when they weren't going to offer any resistance felt wrong--but there was some practicality to it. She would leave that part up to Uzuri.

"I'd love to start weapons training," Phoebe chimed in, reigning in her excitement though it was still clear upon her face. "I don't know what would suit me best, but I'm ready to find out!" She couldn't believe her luck, how quickly and completely everything had turned around, and all because she'd chosen that day to begin doing something to achieve her goal. Just a little effort had made all the difference. To Aeon, she nodded, "That sounds great! I don't think I've been all the way around yet. It would probably do me some good to see it all myself." A nod followed, resolute and certain, and her smile remained, full of energy and optimism and an eagerness to begin. She looked back to Uzuri, ears tipped forward attentively. "When should we meet for the training?" Feeling the question may have been spoken with too impatient a tone, Phoebe hastily added through a chuckle, "Though no rush, of course!"

ooc: @Uzuri @Aeon It does feel like this one might be almost done. I'm cool with any other offshoots this can lead to, weapons training or patrolling or both!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »