Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- restraint & release [relic quest]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Kaladin

He was surprised to find himself smiling amiably, this time an expression come naturally instead of forced. He grinned at Damascus as the youth stumbled over the words of Reichenbach's lengthy title, then tipped his head at the boy's inquiry. He recalled with dread that the last time the two men had met, Kaladin had divulged to Damascus an amalgamation of personal information, spurred on by the fruitless frustrations of his search and his temper's ending fuse. The boy seemed to bear no grudge, however - and Kaladin himself had been mortifyingly grateful for the ability to speak honestly to another - even a mortal like Damascus, with halting speech and naive outlook to the world.

He shrugged upon hearing Damascus' inquiries about the relic. His heart gave an anxious tumble, recalling his true goals this night and acknowledging the competition he would be faced with now that he was no longer alone. He tipped his head in the direction of both his fellow travelers and acknowledged, "I doubt I will be the only one to find it. But I know I will be the first to use it." he glanced nervously to Reichenbach, amberglass eyes flickering as he realized too late that his words might hinder his previous front. "Either way, this relic remains a great unknown. What it does and who can use it is any of our best guesses. But an item of power should be held by one of equal power." And I am the one to bear that power, he finished in his mind, unwilling to speak further of his past aloud. They could never comprehend what it is like, to bear that burden...that freedom...that loss. They are only mortal, after all. And...so am I.

He was not set apart from the others in any way. Not any more. His chest clenched, and he had to grit his teeth against a wave of sorrow that struck him, shattering the night's blissful illusions. In an attempt to regain his composure, he glanced to the sky, eyes reflecting the glimmering starlight and nostrils widening as he inhaled the lake's misting breeze. He was always so close, and yet so far. It seemed the world only taunted him, his fate dancing in and out of reach like a marionette in the hands of a wicked pupeteer. I will prove you wrong, father. he swore. I will take back what you stole, and then I will take what is yours as well. And then I will make this world anew.

Naively, he pressed the hope down within himself, as if enough willpower could force it to be true. Using all his willpower, he wrenched himself away from his sorrows, glancing back to his companions and hoping that the crack in his facade had gone unnoticed. "We shall never know if we do not find it, will we? Then let us search." he glanced back up once more towards the sky, and he swore he could see father's iron eyes reflected in the moon's cold surface. He glanced away and stepped out before his companions, proclaiming with feigned confidence,"Whatever god loses his relic can do without one." And whatever father abandons his own creation can suffer at its hands. he added, wondering childishly if father could somehow hear.

@Damascus @Reichenbach i now bring you this needlessly self-indulgent post as presented by Kaladin, the ultimate trash bin
code by avis

Messages In This Thread
restraint & release [relic quest] - by Reichenbach - 06-06-2017, 02:11 AM
RE: restraint & release [relic quest] - by Kaladin - 06-06-2017, 03:12 PM
RE: restraint & release [relic quest] - by Reichenbach - 06-07-2017, 02:49 AM
RE: restraint & release [relic quest] - by Damascus - 06-07-2017, 12:22 PM
RE: restraint & release [relic quest] - by Kaladin - 06-09-2017, 03:04 PM
RE: restraint & release [relic quest] - by Reichenbach - 06-12-2017, 01:13 AM
RE: restraint & release [relic quest] - by Damascus - 06-19-2017, 01:45 PM
RE: restraint & release [relic quest] - by Kaladin - 06-19-2017, 03:15 PM
RE: restraint & release [relic quest] - by Reichenbach - 06-29-2017, 10:12 PM