Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - they told her she was art

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Messalina

M E S S A L I N A . //

“Annette, do you think it possible for one to walk so long and so far as to simply perish along the way, not even aware of one’s death? If so, I think that soon enough I will arrive at Hade’s door.”

What had started off as an excursion to the lands of Denocte had turned into a week-long trek over excruciating terrain. Though hard to admit to herself, Messalina may have… miscalculated the distance between Dawn and Night, and she was paying dearly for her mistakes. 

By some miracle she had made it this far, past rivers and meadows and mountain ranges, relying solely on her keen intuition and a battered map. "How I hate the scoundrel who sold me this map—was it not he who assured me the journey would take no longer than three nights?” she scoffed, scowling as she recounted the precious coins she’d traded for a useless map. Of course, the girl failed to consider how her keen intuition might have been more at fault than the poor sage’s accurate estimate. 

Her journey to the Night Court was driven both by curiosity and necessity. It had been a rocky transition to life in Delumine, fraught with desperation and prickly interactions with the locals. At the end of it, she’d managed to obtain lodgings, a way to make some meager coin, and a bruised ego (still recovering). Thanks to the girl’s prior education, she’d become a sage’s assistant by day and a performer by night. She detested both jobs—the sage was as ancient as the trees, and the tavern she performed at was filled with nothing but intoxicated travelers more intent on bedding her than appreciating the elegance of her dance.

But it was the constant talk amongst them of the wonders of the enigmatic Night Court—their King Crow (whatever that meant), the streets filled with trinkets and music, and most importantly, the talents of the populace—that drew Messalina’s attention. She’d never encountered individuals as talented as she in the arts, and her curiosity was peaked. And if the rumors were true, the citizens paid good coin for splendid performances, something her near-empty coffers would sorely appreciate. It was decided. She would journey to the Night Court, stay for a full moon’s cycle, then return to Delumine jingling with coins and swathed in finery. 

A smile parted her pink-satin lips as she fantasized about the luxuries she'd soon be able to purchase. A large chunk—scratch that, all—of her wages went towards restoring herself to her former glory. And while gold baubles weaved through her ivory braids, and a heavy embellished cloak settled gracefully around her shoulders, she was bitterly reminded of how she’d dressed her dolls in fabrics finer than her current ones. 

Messalina halted her steps as water lapped around her ivory hooves. A lake as smooth as a mirror emerged in front of her: Vitreus Lake. Perhaps she would arrive in the court at nightfall, if nothing detained her until then. A blood-red ripple drew her eye to the water’s surface, and she exhaled at the reflection of the rose nestled behind her ear. "If only you were with me, Annette. If only Mother hadn’t left me to suffer on my own, from riches to rags overnight." Her voice dropped into a low whisper. "If only I’d been worthy enough to accompany her, wherever she is now."

— ♕ —

@Mila
notes: I finally put this up! <3 messa's naivety really shines through in this post o_o

Messages In This Thread
they told her she was art - by Messalina - 11-24-2017, 07:22 PM
RE: they told her she was art - by Mila - 11-24-2017, 08:27 PM
RE: they told her she was art - by Messalina - 11-26-2017, 12:14 AM