Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Living River, Turn Light to Diamond

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Ellora

It had been months since Ellora crawled out of the dense thicket she'd constructed into her home. While the brambles left much to be desired, it was the safest and most hidden place she could find within the Dusk Court. She very rarely ventured out except to grab more supplies for herself, gathering herbs and spices and stocking food. She rather enjoyed being out under the cover of night, where she felt she was less likely to attract attention, the evening like a blanket upon her heart and a veil over her eyes. But even in the far reaches of the Dusk Court, she heard whispers from commonfolk about a sort of festival happening at the Dawn Court. She had never been to a festival, in fact, she'd never really been to any sort of social gathering at all, and the idea frightened her, but she'd been here for over a year and had yet to meet a single soul except in passing. She did not want to die having known only the cruelty of other horses, she wanted to know their kindness, too. If she had kindness, so could others... right?

Naturally, she would have walked to such an event, but she found herself idling over it in the sky first. She could hear the laughter and singing ring out far below her, and the music was a comfort to her, she had always loved music. One tune in particular called out to her in the dense forest, and she found her wings carrying her gently to the ground as she paused quietly in the woods, hearing her mother's song on the wind.

”Come white moss, weave us a carpet
Spreading oak make a shade where we lie.
Leaves and branches, whisper a love song,
When I look in my true love's eyes.
Young as any spring, his eyes almost sing to me.”

She felt a tear slipping out of each of her deep blue eyes, and she slammed them shut as she hummed along to the tune. It was a song her mother sang to her, of times when her father hadn’t been so cruel to her. Sabre was once a revered mare in his herd, she had been his favorite until she’d given birth to the imperfect Ellora. But even with her song, her mother had never made her feel like a burden, she felt like her mother was truly happy spending the last of her years with the growing foal instead of with her past lover.

“Come down sparrow, sing me good morning.
Rise up sun like arch of the sky.
Living river, turn light to diamonds
When I look in my true love's eyes.”

As the song wrapped up, she slowly turned her back on the light and festivities, wondering if perhaps she hadn’t actually been ready for such an event. Maybe she should just go home and paint some more, or perhaps make herself a new string of beads. She looked back at her tail, the sparkling diamond and gold bead string dangling off to the side in disarray. She huffed and gave a good flick of her tail to set it back into the place before poking her head through the trees again, gazing longingly at the dancing and celebrations happening. She wanted to be out there so badly, but she was too afraid of change. She hummed the song to herself as she skirted the outer reaches of the party, pardoning herself as she passed other wanderers who were doing the same. She was aching to just take flight and return home to the Dusk Court, but the music called to her and she felt drawn back to the edge of the clearing again.

OOC: This is the song she's singing, if you're curious to hear it

Messages In This Thread
Living River, Turn Light to Diamond - by Ellora - 05-26-2018, 08:17 PM
RE: Living River, Turn Light to Diamond - by Kauri - 05-28-2018, 01:20 AM
RE: Living River, Turn Light to Diamond - by Ellora - 05-29-2018, 12:39 AM
RE: Living River, Turn Light to Diamond - by Kauri - 05-29-2018, 03:08 PM
RE: Living River, Turn Light to Diamond - by Ellora - 05-29-2018, 10:17 PM
RE: Living River, Turn Light to Diamond - by Kauri - 05-30-2018, 07:50 PM