Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Brick and Mortar

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Charlemagne

“Not at all,” he replies, flicking his honey-gold tail against his hocks. “I take it as a compliment.” Indeed, now that the truth was out and the temptation to lie vanquished, he did feel a little thrill of pride, that such a stranger found him a potential ruler. At least those lessons of his father’s had taken; his manners had always been much better than his sparring.

And sparring, it seemed, would not be an issue with Somnus. It’s still a relief to hear him name himself a scholar, though not a surprise - it was clear from the way he spoke, the way he stood. There is nothing of him that looks out of place in the courtyard of the castle of the dawn. It’s enough to draw the smile - that first one, warm as the sun - back to Charlemagne’s face, and when he nods the sunlight glances off his golden horn. “I’ve no doubt you’ll be welcomed, and gladly.” Better, even, than he had been - for surely nobody could ignore such a man as this, nor did he seem the type to let himself be ignored. He would do well here, and already the young unicorn felt gladness, not jealousy, at the thought.

He glances away as the golden man relaxes, letting his own stance loosen. The world is still quiet around them, save for the warbling of birds and the susurrus of wind through the leaves. It is nothing like the maze, here, and yet that sound makes him shiver. He is glad when Somnus speaks again, and he turns back to the stallion, hiding his surprise at the question. In all his weeks here, nobody had asked him why he’d come. It warms him even further to the man, though he recounts his past as quickly as he can.

“I grew up in a nation some weeks’ travel from here - one that valued war and conquering far more than knowledge and peace. I did not fit in, I’m afraid. As a child I treasured the stories I heard of the Dawn Court, and always wanted to be a part of such a place. When I could, I came.” It is enough, for now; there is no reason for him to speak of his findings since his arrival, of magic and monsters and mazes, the disappointments of his own character that were becoming clear to him in each dismal interaction. Such troubles were his own - and anyway, they seemed distant enough, between Somnus and the sunlight that made shadows below the summer leaves.  

It’s to the newcomer he looks again, eyes the same green as those leaves, and tilts his head toward the grand building behind him. “Shall I show you in? Perhaps Kasil is within, and if not, certainly others who would be glad to welcome you. And I would be glad to hear how you learned of Delumine.”

@Somnus sorry this took so long! back now :]

charlemagne*

image © unsplash

Messages In This Thread
Brick and Mortar - by Somnus - 08-07-2017, 07:51 AM
RE: Brick and Mortar - by Charlemagne - 08-08-2017, 11:11 PM
RE: Brick and Mortar - by Somnus - 08-10-2017, 07:39 PM
RE: Brick and Mortar - by Charlemagne - 08-12-2017, 03:13 PM
RE: Brick and Mortar - by Somnus - 08-13-2017, 07:04 PM
RE: Brick and Mortar - by Charlemagne - 08-23-2017, 02:39 PM
RE: Brick and Mortar - by Somnus - 09-02-2017, 05:33 PM
RE: Brick and Mortar - by inkbone - 09-06-2017, 12:25 AM