Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - [Relic Contest] My Swamp

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Kaladin

When the starry creature moved, he followed. Skulking behind, hooves giving a gentle sloshing noise, quiet enough to be drowned away from the woman’s ears. She was tracking the fish darting beneath the murky waters, their silver hides like lighthouse beacons calling to safer shores. He heard the doe begin to cough, and his ears twitched to the sound. Weather he liked it or not, Kaladin was a Caretaker first and foremost, and such sounds as came from the woman’s mouth were seldom a good sign. His eyes became worried, and he decided that he would approach the woman should need be. But first, the relic. The relic and his collar. The two things most important in this world – and for it.

A glinting far off in the water caught his eye – the wrinkled water shone with unnatural glimmers, signifying that more lay beyond the surface then algae and deep muck. The woman did not miss it, either – her keen eyes caught it on well, and she immediately moved in that direction. Kaladin had to bite back a growl of worry – was it the relic? Was she taking it from him? He had almost lost it, once. He had vowed not to let it happen again.

He began to move faster, steps slowed by the muck, which seemed eager to devour his hooves and drag him downwards. He fought it off, but his mortal body was rendered clumsy by its shorter stature and weak legs. He watched as the star-clad creature began to paw at the water, the splashes glinting in the low light. His heart began to pound, an unfamiliar feeling that sent his body quivering with every beat. However, this brief moment of panic led to release, as the woman’s hooves brought up naught more than glinting coin.

Kaladin released a breath, allowing himself to move freely now that there was no need for stealth. He approached the woman with caution, amberglass eyes glinting with sudden interest as he eyed her pelt. How does her coat glimmer with stars? he wondered. Bioluminescence? Or perhaps iridescent markings caught by the sun? he tipped his head, curiosity acting as a blade, cutting down his usual hostility. He did not speak a greeting – he was far too preoccupied to think of mortal customs. Instead, his eyes trailed the water whence the doe had stood – searching for the spot where the gold had rested. Sure enough, he found further coins buried deep in the sand, and grabbed telekinetically. They came free, trailing muck and algae and causing eddies to burst to the surface. Pleased with himself, Kaladin tossed them towards the woman. “You missed a few.” He grinned. Then, his gaze darkened, and he tipped his head worriedly. "I heard you coughing. Are you alright?"

In that moment, the reeds about them broke apart and crashing, clumsy mess called Damascus emerged from between the willows, lengthy tail tangled in muck and wings outspread. Frightened fish tumbled away from his feet, desperately trying to escape the youth’s heavy strides. Kaladin’s ears flicked back immediately, recalling their last encounter. The wounds were still fresh, the shame of defeat and the fury he had felt upon losing his trail, the feeling that he had lost any chance of regaining his former glory. And yet, here the boy stood. Clearly with the same purpose as Kaladin – which could mean only one thing.

Kaladin grinned wickedly, eyes flickering from a warm golden to a sharp, predatory amber. "Why would I follow you? So you could shoulder me aside?” there was unspoken hurt in his words. "I’m looking for the relic, seeing as you do not appear to have found it." he glanced back at the starry woman, realizing how frightening he must appear to her, some wild thing covered in muck and growling ferally. He forced his chest to still its panting breaths, gathering all his strength to push down the hurt and hatred that danced within. His words became quiet, then, but laced with pain that he could not conceal, try as he might. "Was it worth it?” he asked. ”Betraying my trust after I handed it to you on a silver platter?"

@Damascus @Yana i'm pretty sure thread happens after 'eyes to starlight', but if i'm wrong i can still edit my post uwu
code by avis

Messages In This Thread
[Relic Contest] My Swamp - by Yana - 06-03-2017, 09:40 PM
RE: [Relic Contest] My Swamp - by Kaladin - 06-04-2017, 06:08 AM
RE: [Relic Contest] My Swamp - by Random Events - 06-06-2017, 03:23 PM
RE: [Relic Contest] My Swamp - by Damascus - 06-07-2017, 01:03 PM
RE: [Relic Contest] My Swamp - by Yana - 06-11-2017, 09:14 PM
RE: [Relic Contest] My Swamp - by Kaladin - 06-25-2017, 10:40 AM
RE: [Relic Contest] My Swamp - by Damascus - 08-16-2017, 07:41 AM