Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Where the Wildflowers Grow

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Acton

Acton
these violent delights have violent ends
It was, he thought, a good day – even if his powders and plans weren’t quite cooperating. The sun was bright, the day was warm in the kind of way that was a gift at this time of year, and there was something pleasant about having the filly trailing after him. She filled the air with talk, putting him in mind of a particular kind of songbird from his youth, a kind that wasn’t found in Novus.

“We have a few wanderers, here,” he said, amber-eyed gaze flicking back to her before settling again on the horizon. “Gypsies, technically. It’s always a party when they pass through the citadel.” With the days shortening and the temperature dropping, they should be passing through again soon – autumn was bonfire season, in Denocte. It made a good time for reunions – hopefully Akeli would find one of her own.

The buckskin felt her eyes settle on him and flicked his tail at her, his mouth shaping into a secretive grin at her question. He slowed enough that they were walking beside one another, working their way up a low rise. At the top of it, he knew, their fair capital would be finally visible.

“I perform,” he answered her, which was more or less true. “I was practicing. Some of my acts involve black powder, which is the smell – and the reason I was so far afield.” He leaned in to look over the dark fuzz of her antlers, making an impressed-sounding exclamation at the flint. “Your mum would be proud you’re so well prepared,” he said, though having never known a mother himself, he couldn’t really be sure.

A swallow darted by, a slim dark figure through the blue, and his gaze tracked it until her laugh drew his attention again. “Some do,” he said with a nod, thinking of Reichenbach’s singing, far more than an ordinary lullaby. But then there was Raum, and the Twins, and most everyone else he knew, including himself. They had no magic – but you wouldn’t know it by watching them. “Others make their own, through practice.” Pausing, Acton flicked an ear toward her, eyes suddenly keen. “Do you have magic?”

They were near the top of the hill. Acton knew intimately the view that lay ahead, but that didn’t mean his breath didn’t catch every time he saw it. The court would lay sprawled below, shadow and sun below the clouds, the hills rising behind it so it looked like the deepest jewel in a crown. The buildings were tall and lovely, though they did not show themselves best in the slanting light of afternoon – night, of course, was where they came alive.

But it was still an impressive view nonetheless, and he watched her closely as they crested the hill. “I’d distrust you if you weren’t asking questions,” he said, “and I’ve had enough unlucky days to know this isn’t one. Hopefully you can find the answers you’re wanting – welcome to Denocte.”  

@Akeli <3

Messages In This Thread
Where the Wildflowers Grow - by Akeli - 09-30-2017, 10:28 AM
RE: Where the Wildflowers Grow - by Acton - 10-06-2017, 09:57 AM
RE: Where the Wildflowers Grow - by Akeli - 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
RE: Where the Wildflowers Grow - by Acton - 10-09-2017, 06:44 PM
RE: Where the Wildflowers Grow - by Akeli - 10-12-2017, 08:55 PM
RE: Where the Wildflowers Grow - by Acton - 10-19-2017, 12:36 PM
RE: Where the Wildflowers Grow - by Akeli - 10-29-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: Where the Wildflowers Grow - by Acton - 10-31-2017, 01:19 PM