Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Heart Afire

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Camdis

The light that streamed in through open air windows was delicate and watery as it settled upon the contents of a rather contradictorily decorated chamber. Within, opulent wealth was met with supplies and handcrafted charms that seemed an echo of another era. Deep purple drapes insulated with thick linings of velvet and dyed furs were pulled back, the heavy fabric hooked around silver holders embedded in the wall despite the frigid outside temperatures. From there, chilled breezes swept through the room, brushing across a solidly hewn obsidian workbench that held an array of scattered herbs, vials, stone containers, and a series of parchment documents with sketches and notes scribbled hastily upon their ash dusted surfaces.

Despite the table’s bulk, the size of the chamber made it easy to accommodate its cluttered surface against the wall nearest the door. Above the workbench sat a pair of polished mahogany shelves filled to bowing with worn and well-loved tomes. Hanging from the exposed wooden beams of the domes ceiling were a plethora of items; folded paper diagrams of flora and fauna with notes and labels meticulously added to their balanced surfaces in a looping, elegant font; bundles of flowers and herbs in various stages of drying; braids of ribbon, vines, and even hair interspersed with feathers, beads, and other such tokens knotted carefully into their lengths - talismans of the ancient and primitive variety.

On the wall across from the workbench, set within the dark stone wall, sat a cavernous marble fireplace. The flames that flickered within provided a welcome warmth to the chamber, combating the chill of winter with an ease that belied the merry crackling. If on were to peer closer to the fire, they may see that the smoke rising into the chimney was a shade of violet so dark as to nearly match the drapes - the result of a few choice herbs scattered into the embers before the Regent had ignited it the night before. Accompanying the warmth that permeated the chamber was the intermingled scents of peppermint tea and jasmine increase.

In the center of the chamber, nestled within a cushion-filled basin pressed into the stone floor, lounged the Denoctian Regent, his scarlet brow furrowed in concentration as he utilized his telekinetic ability to braid together ivory strands of hair, ropes of lavender, and a series of golden coins without allowing the string of chants falling from his lips to waver. 

Despite this focus, however, Camdis Lohir couldn’t help but let loose a string of curses as the carved doors of his Study were kicked open by the all-too-enthusiastic hooves of his Page. 

“Raglan, rust it all, I told you to enter with caution when you see the plum smoke,” came the horned Regent’s frustrated greeting.

“Wonderful to see you, too, Camdis,” drawled Raglan with a grin and a sort chuckle - the irritability of his Regent had become almost endearing over the months that they had spent together. Catching sight of the charm that Cam was in the middle of weaving, Raglan narrowed his pale eyes and took a few steps forward in opal hooves, “Is that one for me?” 

Glancing up toward the dozens of other braided talismans that swayed gently from the rafters, the Young Crow pursed his lips, wondering what sort of prayers his mentor had woven into the threads of his charm. 

“Yes,” the voice of the bay stallion brought Raglan’s pale eyes back down to level, “It is yours. I’m hoping to inspire some common sense and discipline with it.” A dry grin has risen to the Regent’s lips as he spoke, but the attempt at humor did not reach his eyes - pale and far too full of sorrow for his four years. “What brings you here? You don’t have another lesson until tomorrow.”

“There’s a stallion from another Court in the throne room. I couldn’t find Reich, so I thought I would bother you with it,” Cocking his head and widening his grin, Raglan turned about and practically skipped out of the room, tossing a farewell over his shoulder as he stepped back into the hazy darkness of Calligo’s palace, “I’ll make sure to find a good hiding spot in case things get tricky.”

Brow furrowing further, Camdis heaved a sigh and lifted himself from the cushions, leaving the unfinished charm to rest upon one of the crimson pillows. Moving slowly out of his study and making his way through the labyrinthine passageways of the fortress, a slight scowl resting upon his already stern face. Truly, it wasn’t unlike the stallion to glare at nothing, but having been interrupted in his study had rather darkened his already tumultuous temperament. Yet, as he turned the final corner and walked toward the pool of light that fell before the throne room’s arched doorway, he took a deep breath and focused on becoming the penultimate image of diplomacy.

This, of course, didn’t work in the slightest, but Camdis did manage to lighten his scowl enough to seem neutral. 

“Welcome, Stranger, to Calligo’s realm,” Came the Regent’s quiet greeting, his voice cool and polite. Slowing to a stop before the golden scaled stallion, the Regent gave a respectful bow of his horned head before meeting the pale gent’s gaze. It was an effort not to raise his brows and inspect the male further, to oooh and ahhh over the seamless melding of skin and scale, of gold and ivory. The words “handsome” or “attractive” were almost insulting in comparison to the almost overwhelming essence of artistry that had gone into the foreign courtier’s physical form. 

It would be appropriate to surmise that Camdis Lohir greatly appreciated the stranger’s presence, if only for the aesthetic.

“I am Camdis Lohir, Regent to Denocte, what brings you to the heartland of Night?”

@Isorath  sorry for no coding I did this on my phone also sorry for the muse explosion :(

Messages In This Thread
Heart Afire - by Isorath - 12-13-2017, 05:48 PM
RE: Heart Afire - by Camdis - 12-15-2017, 03:08 PM
RE: Heart Afire - by Isorath - 12-16-2017, 04:59 PM