Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Stand by Me [Meeting]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Messalina

MESSALINA
“The birds’ chatters are especially loud today, to reach even my ears. They chirp that a Court meeting is taking place this very evening – my, I haven’t uttered those words in years. Not since I was Champion of Wisdom.” The retired Champion's keen gaze dropped to rest upon a slim-boned girl quietly perusing a heavy tome in the corner.

“It must have been a while then, Master Xander,” Messalina quipped, setting the book aside as a sly smile slipped easily upon her lips.“I suppose you wish for me to go on your behalf?” she asked, voice airily innocent as the old sage shot a stern, creased glare at her jest.

“It’s high time for you to attend Court, rather than catalogue books all day for an old scholar like myself,” he replied gruffly, but Messalina knew her employer well enough now to recognize the concern that churned in those wise, cobalt eyes. 

“I’d planned to, anyways. And I also plan to secure a place in Court soon – I can’t infringe upon your kindness for much longer, Master Xander, without tearing my dignity to pieces.”

The sage chuckled. “Good lass. Though,” and he paused as his amused voice carried across the marbled floors of the room. “I don't suppose the prospect of seeing that Emissary of yours has affected your decision at all?”

"Of course not –" the girl coughed in indignation, but Alexander was already gone. To his beloved library, no doubt. “Those were not my intentions,” Messa huffed, though the pink flush creeping across her porcelain skin would suggest entirely otherwise. 

-----

Under an ember sky, the citizens of Delumine arrived in twos and threes as their shadows merged with the looming silhouette of a solemn, ivy-cloaked citadel. The meeting had begun. 

The location of the assembly had been chosen with obvious care. With minimal effort, even the softest of voices would echo from wall to mossy wall, resonating easily through the curious crowd. Messalina frowned as she surveyed the faces around her–it struck her, then, just how little she had acquainted herself with Dawn’s populace.

Uncharacteristically late (she had spent a touch too long perfecting her braids), she rose on the tips of her hooves in an effort to see anything over the tide of clamoring heads. The crowd hushed all at once as a voice rang clearly through the courtyard. 

Cerulean eyes widened in momentary surprise as she placed the accent at once. She had been expecting an unfamiliar one, as she had never met the Sovereign, Kasil, before. But there was no mistaking that golden visage, and as Somnus' lilting voice carried on, her confusion quickly dissipated as surprise replaced it. Somnus is King, now! 

And there was no man better suited to the role. The pale dancer had met the then-Regent only once, and even then only briefly – but it had been enough for his even smile and wise eyes to leave her with an impression as deep as the green of his gaze. Delumine would not find herself in more noble hands.

From her poor vantage point, however, she could see little of what was transpiring. Swiftly, she ducked her way through tangled limbs until she emerged again at the front of the crowd, next to a girl with the loveliest, silver-blue skin. Like the ocean, Messa thought, and she inclined a polite nod to the girl before returning her gaze to the three figures painted gold by the rays of the fading sun. Her searching eyes fixed upon one gilded silhouette in particular. 

Ipomoea… what of his role, then? Somnus’ next words confirmed her suspicions with brevity. “With good Po’s ascension, the rank of Emissary is now open–”

There was no surprise, this time. A soft smile pressed against her lips, as eyes as blue as a summer sky flicked towards the crown of flowers she’d grown so fond of. Yet the barest tinge of sadness leaked into those azure eyes, and Messalina looked away before the Regent would feel the weight of her stare. 

Quietly, she watched as the people began to speak one by one. The girl with the ocean in her skin, and then one with the sun; each expressed their congratulations to the new Regime, and their eagerness at serving their Court in any way they could. Gods knows how tensions simmered between the four courts, like a flame waiting to catch. Messalina agreed with them wholeheartedly, yet she had no words of her own to add. Perhaps later she would seek a private audience with the Sovereign and his Regime.

For now though, she was content to remain a spectator in these affairs just a little while longer.
eyes so blue,
I drown.
@Delumine
I decided to keep the beginning even though it's not really related xD some narrative fun

rallidae

Messages In This Thread
Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Somnus - 03-09-2018, 10:01 PM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Ipomoea - 03-11-2018, 02:38 PM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Ulric - 03-11-2018, 08:53 PM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Liesel - 03-11-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Eulalie - 03-12-2018, 10:01 PM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Messalina - 03-14-2018, 04:40 AM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Pavetta - 03-14-2018, 02:20 PM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Orion - 03-18-2018, 05:57 PM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Eros - 04-30-2018, 10:18 AM
RE: Stand by Me [Meeting] - by Somnus - 05-13-2018, 11:22 AM