Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - winter's end

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Ipomoea

IPOMOEA

miles away from home
-- --

T
he garden was exactly as it was when he’d left it this morning: full of sunshine, full of peace. It was as if a snapshot had been taken of it and immortalized, rendering it immobilized in time despite the whirlwind of events taking place just outside. As he drifted through the rows of fauna, running the invisible fingers of his telekinesis over every leaf, every petal, feeling the plants lean subconsciously into his passing frame, he had half a mind to believe, naively, that it would always be this way. The colors would never fade, the stems might never wilt. Never would the fires of Solterra or the betrayals of Denocte come close enough to bring sickness and disease to his garden. It was his refuge, a quiet escape for Ipomoea to lose himself in when he needed a reprieve, a break from the fast-paced world he’d found himself thrust into.

Was it really so wrong to lie to himself, just this once? To fool himself into thinking he could be safe here, his flowers untouched by the offenses of the outside world?

Parents let children believe in fairy tales; he would let himself believe in this.

It still shocked him, just how quickly the day had changed. It had been only this morning when he had listened to the gentle buzz of hummingbird wings and bumblebees, had watched the butterflies drift lazily from one budding flower to the next. There had been no urgent news, nor impromptu meetings on his mind. Only the lovely fragrance of a hundred spring blossoms, the air alive with bird song and laughter.

He couldn’t hear anyone laughing now.

It would be a welcome change. All day he’d spent around people, but all of it was business and politics: Congratulations, King Somnus, Regent Po. Might I have a word with you about my rank? and I’m so sorry to hear about Kasil… if you need any help don’t hesitate to find me! I think I’m particularly suited to lead the Caretakers as their Champion… He thought he had known most everyone in their Court—so why then had he found himself surrounded by strangers, with Somnus the only comfort pressed against his side?

’At least now you’ll be stationed home more often. Perfect for learning their names.’ Leave it to Odet to be the voice of reason within Ipomoea’s chaotic and wandering mind. He agreed soundlessly, his stride slowing to a stop on its own accord.

He hadn’t been aware of the circles he was walking in until he found himself back at the same rosebush he’d started at. His breath deflated in a sigh, plucking a delicate yellow flower and holding it up to eye level with his telekinesis. Several already decorated his forehead and his mane in plaits—but what was one more to add?

“Ipomoea!”

The interruption was a welcome shock, the familiar voice kickstarting his heart into a higher gear. “Messalina,” he greeted her warmly, turning to meet the freckled mare and her sky blue gaze. Without thinking, he extended the flower to her, hesitating only a moment so that it hovered in between them. “For you, yellow is far more becoming on you than I.” He most often saw her dressed in red—he hoped she would accept this one from him.

And just like that his earlier musings were gone. He brushed a stray lock back from his eyes, tucking it neatly behind his ear as he willed his heart to settle, for his mind to focus. But it refused to settle agreeably, collapsing in upon itself like pudding. And he couldn't help the way his heart fluttered at the realization that it was by no accident she'd found him.

“You said you were looking for me?”

@messalina | "speaks" | notes: finally got this done <3
rallidae

Messages In This Thread
winter's end - by Messalina - 03-19-2018, 09:46 PM
RE: winter's end - by Ipomoea - 04-04-2018, 12:12 AM
RE: winter's end - by Messalina - 04-16-2018, 12:44 AM
RE: winter's end - by Ipomoea - 05-25-2018, 12:00 AM
RE: winter's end - by Messalina - 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM
RE: winter's end - by Ipomoea - 03-10-2019, 04:50 PM