Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Fight: Judged  - .. I like it rough ..

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
roo

Rostislav vs Acton

@rostislav - Total: 77/100

• Attacks 47/55

• 25/30 -- Based on creativity of your offense (originality, imagination, and attention to detail).
      • 1st post: Introductory post. No attacks to judge (this does not count against your score).
      • 2nd post: Although biting is a common attack for equines, I don’t believe going for the withers was a smart choice. Maybe a more sensitive area would have fared better, such as an open flank or ribs? Biting might not be the most creative attack, but then again, they were close in standing, so it’s understandable. Your detailing about how he does thing helps paint the picture very well.
      • 3rd post: Rosti rediscovering his magic is wonderful, however, I would have liked to see more details about how he was using it? More of the lines of his focus, or an emotional reaction that could have triggered it. And since there has been a length of time since he might have had magic in the past, would his misuse (of his magic being dormant) then effect his current abilities since Rosti is only finding out about it now?

• 22/25 -- Based on realism of your offense (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: Introductory post. No attacks to judge (this does not count against your score).
      • 2nd post: Rosti’s recovery is impressive, and I like how he shifts his weight onto his good leg, pushing it into the ground for stability. It makes sense that he would favor his right side. Biting is a realistic attack for equines, although I would have picked another spot, this attack still makes sense for the close range that they were standing in.
      • 3rd post: As realistic as earth-magic ponies goes, I think this worked out very well. My only note is that I would have liked to see something along the lines of where Rosti was aiming at Acton: was he throwing rock/clumps of dirt and earth just in his general direction or in a specific spot? With a clear intention, this could have helped on Griffin/Acton’s end to know exactly how her character could potentially block the attack.

• Blocks 20/30

• 10/15 -- Based on creativity of your defense (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: Introductory post. No blocks to judge (this does not count against your score).
      • 2nd post: No official blocks to judge, but I do like how you went on to describe his thought process and ultimately the “shooting the breeze” moment. Because of this, it was really easy to get a clear picture in my head, and I knew exactly what was happening at the time.
      • 3rd post: I really liked the attention to detail as you described how Rosti tried to get away from Acton’s next attack. Although not the most creative, it was practical and made sense.

• 10/15 -- Based on realism of your defense (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: Introductory post. No blocks to judge (this does not count against your score).
      • 2nd post: No official blocks used, however, I do want to say that Rosti’s “shooting the breeze” moment was incredibly realistic. Especially with his inner thoughts, noticing the audience, and then Damaris helping him snap out of it. Mistakes are always good and keeps things real.
      • 3rd post: Since there are no official blocks on Rostis’s part to judge, unfortunately we can only give you so many points for realism sake. However, I did like how you detailed Rosti’s movements as he attempted to evade Acton’s lash. It makes sense, but maybe he could have twisted/turned enough to where Acton’s strike could have hit some of Rosti’s heavy armor instead? Although yes, it does make sense that with the heavy duty armor, he would be slow to turn in time too.

• Writing Metrics 10/15

• 4/5 -- Based on overall writing creativity (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: I liked the inner monologue, especially since he goes on to explain his purpose on the Steppe, and even his confidence for the coming battle. This set the stage very well, and the writing makes me want to root for him and for his cause.
      • 2nd post: I adore your attention to detail! Reading how you write Rosti really brings his character to life — from his thought process, to Damaris, to how he sees and reacts to things. Your attention to detail is wonderful and paints a clear picture of what’s happening.
      • 3rd post: Yes! I love how you described the riddled ground, because that’s dry realistic. Nothing is smooth, and anything goes in a battle. I like how you described his adrenaline, the slow con of his size/stature/and armor compared to speed and agility. I would have liked to see more in terms of how he used his magic, and maybe even what it felt like to activate his gift. But otherwise, it was enjoyable to see the reaction of Damaris asking Rosti what was going on, and then for him to realize it himself.

• 3/5 -- Based on overall realism (physical mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health, Attack, Magic Level, and Bonded)
      • 1st post: No physical mechanics to judge in this post. (This does not count against your score).
      • 2nd post: His momentum moving him a few feet away is realistic with the blow to his cannon. Damaris chilling off to the side and letting Rosti do his thing in battle is good. It was nice to see her brought to life with her howling/barking, although at the moment that’s all we really see of her. His magic too.. Rosti discovering (?) his gift here is subtle but nicely there.
      • 3rd post: Again, I really liked how you described how his size and armor prevented him to be more quick/agile. As mentioned before though, I would have preferred to have more details about how exactly he was using his magic, because otherwise it’s a bit of a confusing picture to me.

• 3/5 -- Based on writing metrics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc)
      • 1st post: There was only one spelling mistake, and the post read a little weird in some places, but otherwise this sets the stage of the battle in a good way.
      • 2nd post: Instead of “shooting the breeze” in all caps, maybe italicizing it would have worked? The effect was made, of course. Otherwise very, very few mistakes.
      • 3rd post: Very few, if any mistakes. This read smoothly and was lovely to read.

@acton - Total: 81/100

• Attacks 48/55

• 26/30 -- Based on creativity of your offense (originality, imagination, and attention to detail).
      • 1st post: I would have liked to see more detail regarding Acton’s lounge and his attack. How close were they standing before he launched forward? At what angle was he coming towards Rosti (from the front/straight-on, at an angle, sideways, t-bone)? I did like how it was more of a knee-jerk reaction instead of planned. How Acton jumped right into things, wanting to start on his terms instead of waiting for Rosti to strike first. It really gives insight to his personality, without having to read his profile (in the sense of being more of a “act and ask questions later” kind of way)!
      • 2nd post: I liked how he threw dirt into Rosti’s face — here, take THAT — while simultaneously moving away from him and lashing for the open spot beneath his chin. Although not the most creative due to the few vulnerable spots Rosti has while wearing his armor, it is still a sensible move on Acton’s part.
      • 3rd post: No official attacks to judge (this dos not count against your score.)

• 22/25 -- Based on realism of your offense (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: It’s hard to figure out how accurate the realism might have been due to I don’t know what angle Acton is striking Rosti from. What is good however is the realistic shifting to his back legs. Equines commonly will rear or buck with their hind legs, which makes sense to me. Plus, he went for a sensitive spot behind his knees, which could potentially cripple him.
      • 2nd post: I like the approach of kicking dirt into Rosti’s eyes/face as he moves away to gain some distance between them. Unfortunately, brownie points don’t exist for details like that but the realism is there. Plus, it’s also a practical move on Acton’s part to put some space between himself and his opponent. I liked how you brought in the detail of one of his old lessons that moved him to do this during the fight too.
      • 3rd post: No official attacks to judge (this does not count against your score.)

• Blocks 22/30

• 10/15 -- Based on creativity of your defense (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: No official blocks to judge. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: Although leaning out of the way is not the most creative way to evade an attack, it’s understandable and it makes sense. As always, your attention to detail and the way you write what is happening is amazing to read.
      • 3rd post: Turning one’s back to protect themselves is not the most creative way to do things, but it does it’s job. Realistically, Acton was surprised and did what he thought he could by using his telekinesis, even if that didn’t work. I appreciate the “world trembling” details and reading how reacted to the attack. It was refreshing and made for a interesting post!

• 12/15 -- Based on realism of your defense (mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health and Attack)
      • 1st post: No official blocks to judge. (This does not count against your score.)
      • 2nd post: No official blocks to judge, however I would like to say that it was nice to see him try to evade Rosti’s attack. You can’t dodge everything, and to see him take a hit was very realistic (however small or menial.)
      • 3rd post: This block wins the realism points for me. While reading it, although using his telepathy could only work so much (if at all), I was reminded how in real life, we would turn our backs and cover our heads to protect ourselves. When Acton was being pelted by dirt and stone, this is what I saw — crystal clear — from the what you described. His surprise was immediate, and he could only do so much in such a small amount of time. Good job.

• Writing Metrics 11/15

• 4/5 -- Based on overall writing creativity (originality, imagination, and attention to detail)
      • 1st post: I absolutely love your world building; describing the other characters and how they are gathered to watch the showdown. Acton’s inner thoughts on the tournament itself as he walks in. His sass is everything as he strolls in towards Rost is wonderful.
      • 2nd post: I really liked reading how the fight reminded him of a “back-alley brawl” as his focus diverted between Rosti and Damaris’ barking. It was easy to be transported into his head and see how Acton sees the world in that moment.
      • 3rd post: Your posts flow together very well, almost like reading a novel. The way you detail and describe things is absolutely wonderful. I love how you described the world/earth trembling as Rosti’s magic was activated and directed towards Acton. I was immediately in his shoes as he forgot about the crowd watching, focusing on his opponent in the heat of the moment. Very well done.

• 3/5 -- Based on overall realism (physical mechanics and whether you accurately reflect your Health, Attack, Magic Level, and Bonded)
      • 1st post: His first attack and overall post was very accurate to Acton’s current stats.
      • 2nd post: Seeing how the adrenaline starts to kick in is incredibly realistic and I loved reading how it affected Acton. I also liked how he tries to both pay attention to Rosti and his movements as well as his Bonded. Because in the end, you never know when one might attack or the other in a fight where you’re outnumbered.
      • 3rd post: Over all, Acton’s stats were accurately reflected. Although I would have liked to see him use a slight-of-hand illusion to distract Rosti and see a climate of Acton’s magic at some point in the thread, your block in this post is incredibly realistic for what happened at the time.

• 4/5 -- Based on writing metrics (spelling, grammar, punctuation, run-on sentences, etc)
      • 1st post: There was a period missing after “halt.” Otherwise, there was one or two run-on sentences and overall read well.
      • 2nd post: Very few, if any, mistakes. This post flowed really well, and as always, your writing style is wonderful to read.
      • 3rd post: I had to reread a section for clarity, but otherwise this post was written well.

CLOSING REMARKS: GUYS, this was my first battle judgement! This was incredibly enjoyable to read — the banter, the sass, all of it. Both of you did a great job and were pretty even all across the board. Thanks for bearing with me as I learn how to be a judge! <3

Messages In This Thread
.. I like it rough .. - by Rostislav - 04-05-2018, 10:00 PM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Acton - 04-08-2018, 09:06 AM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Rostislav - 04-08-2018, 04:47 PM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Acton - 04-11-2018, 12:43 PM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Rostislav - 04-15-2018, 09:51 PM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Acton - 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by roo - 05-08-2018, 02:24 AM
RE: .. I like it rough .. - by Sparrow - 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM