Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - we shovel all the ashes out;

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Asterion

Asterion
in sunshine and in shadow*

He listens as she talks more of the customs of Solterra, his expression far more solemn than their setting. His gaze is sightless on the crowd, warm lanterns and soft starshine, as he fits in what she tells him with what he already knows of the Day Court. The bay’s eyes flit only once to her face, and that only as a brief touch before dropping down to the metal collar she wore just beneath her throat.

He knows what it means, and that thinking of it still makes him want to shudder. He knows what Calliope would have made of such a savage, cruel custom.

I’m afraid that I don’t understand, she says, and he shrugs a dark shoulder. “I realize I’m speaking vaguely. But it’s not my place to name others from things far past.” He tries for a wry smile, but it doesn’t seem to fit quite right. Perhaps in the darkness, perhaps since they are strangers, she cannot tell. “I was only joking, anyway, about a curse.”

But he does not need to know her well to catch the way she stiffens next, or the new edge to her voice. Like a wall of steel coming down, closing him off from her.

It is exactly what he needs to hear, but that does not make the words sting any less.

Asterion feels shameful, then, for telling her (a queen) of his troubles, as though it were any duty of hers to listen at all, much less to help. Like a fool he has bared some part of his wounded animal heart for her, and in doing so has made her cold.

For a long moment he is silent, and then he angles his head toward her. “I see where your country gets its strength,” he says softly. “It is no wonder your people beat back those that threatened you. I wish you a good night, Seraphina, and maybe even some fun at this festival.” He inclines his dark head, then, and takes his leave of the silver woman as quietly as he had approached her.

She is right, he can feel it in the deep places beneath his stardusk skin, but her words do not stick with him like advice but like a blow. Asterion lets out a breath between hiss teeth as he slips back into the crowd, making his way to nowhere in particular.

The question now was to discover what to do with her unwitting counsel.

@Seraphina   hope it's ok I ended this here! he feels he's embarrassed himself enough

Messages In This Thread
we shovel all the ashes out; - by Asterion - 05-15-2018, 01:37 PM
RE: we shovel all the ashes out; - by Seraphina - 05-30-2018, 07:49 PM
RE: we shovel all the ashes out; - by Asterion - 06-09-2018, 11:07 AM
RE: we shovel all the ashes out; - by Seraphina - 06-24-2018, 05:11 PM
RE: we shovel all the ashes out; - by Asterion - 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM
RE: we shovel all the ashes out; - by Seraphina - 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM
RE: we shovel all the ashes out; - by Asterion - 06-28-2018, 02:12 PM
RE: we shovel all the ashes out; - by Seraphina - 06-29-2018, 05:15 AM