Welcome
Hello There, Guest!
- Register

Current

Current Novus date and time is

▶ Year || 503
▶ Season || Summer
▶ Temp || 74℉ (℃) - 100℉ (℃)
▶ Weather || The weather radar really does seem to be off the charts lately...
I wonder what's going on? (#23-26)

Spotlight

Character of the Season
El Toro

Member of the Season
Griffin

Thread of the Season
Bring Me Thunder; Bring Me Steel

Pair of the Season
Eik and Isra

Quote of the Season
"Her mother lives all in day, her father all in night, and Apolonia straddles the thin, dusky line halving her heart with not so much grace - startling awake in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn, trying to find some way to compromise." — Apolonia in
The Vine & The Rain & The Light

see here for nominations

DISCORD

OOC - Year 503 Spring - Spotlight Announcements!
inkbone — Administrator Signos: 4,165
▶ Played by inkbone [PM] Posts: 265 — Threads: 40
▶ Female [She/Her/Hers] Hth: ∞ — Atk: ∞ — Exp:
▶ 28 [Year 475 Spring] Active Magic:
▶ 15 hh Bonded:
SPOTLIGHT ANNOUNCEMENTS!
All prizes have been distributed!

Congratulate @griffin on winning Member of the Season!

Griffin's tenacity and activity really continues to astound us! She has a vast array of really wonderful, inspiring characters. But no matter how many characters she seems to add to her worlds and repertoire, her activity still tops the charts and never seems to falter. To top it all off, she has a really spectacular writing style that is truly a pleasure to read, no matter the character or thread. But beyond her characters and writing style, she is truly an amazingly sweet and uplifting person. Time and time again, staff continues to hear positive things - as we do about much of our community! - and little stories. The support that Griffin provides our lovely little Novus family is something to be admired, and we cannot thank her enough for it!

Congratulate @El Toro on winning Character of the Season!

Muirgen's dedication to Toro's character is really mesmerizing, and she does an amazing job at portraying him true to his point of view. He is brought wonderfully to light by the magic that Mui crafts with her words and posts, and time and time again, we are drawn to his threads. Each sentence Mui weaves is, like Griffin said, packed with meaning and so very true to character. As we do with all of our community, we look forward to seeing how Toro grows in his Novus home, and

Congratulate @Apolonia on winning Quote of the Season!

From the vine & the rain & the light — "Her mother lives all in day, her father all in night, and Apolonia straddles the thin, dusky line halving her heart with not so much grace - startling awake in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn, trying to find some way to compromise."

There's so much weight in a few simple sentences. For a character so young, you would hardly think they would be so conflicted - but with parents like Bexley and Acton, there's no real surprise. O is beautiful in her contradiction - fierce as her sandstorm of a mother Bexley, as self-preserving as her look-out-for-yourself father Acton. Day and Night struggle to co-mingle, just as O struggles as she balances upon an unsteady fence.

Congratulate @Isra and @Eik on winning Pair of the Season!

While all of Novus may not be aware of this blissful pair, there is no denying its inevitability and its beauty. Isra's sorrowful, heartache and beauty marries perfectly with Eik's kind and gentle nature. They are a wonderful compliment to one another - and both Rae and Nestle's amazing ability to weave their worlds and their magics together makes this all the more beautiful and enrapturing to watch unfold.

Congratulate @Blyse and @Acton "Bring Me Thunder; Bring Me Steel" winning Thread of the Season!

Many times, the highlight threads of characters portray them in either their weakest or their proudest moments. Bring Me Steel, between Blyse and Acton, is no less moving but still just as refreshing. There is a marked determination in Blyse's introspection, and while Acton appears in this thread fairly subdued... it's far from such. From a quick glance, this seems like a very out of the norm interaction for both characters. But as they say, beauty is in the details... or the devil is in the details. Read into and look for the fantastic little details that both @Apothic and @griffin weave into their characters. You will find Blyse and Acton exemplified in each and every one, and Bring Me Steel is a wonderful read between two characters you would not normally expect to meet!

NOMINATIONS WILL BE OPEN UNTIL 11:59P EST ON 11/30/18!

Year 502 Spring is almost over - and that means Spotlight Announcements are right around the corner!
We're looking at YOU guys to give us the nominations on who you think would be the best for the following categories:

CHARACTER of the Season
Pavetta, who won Character OTS for 502 Winter, is not available for nomination!

Current nominations: @El Toro -- @Asterion

PAIR of the Season
Bexley&Acton, who won Pair OTS for 502 Winter, cannot be nominated!

Current nominations: @Isra & @Eik -- @Florentine & @Lysander

THREAD of the Season

Thread must have been made or posted in during Fall (10/01-11/30)!

Current nominations: Of circles and fangs and hate, bring me steel, the earth around me speaking tongues

MEMBER of the Season
Nestle, who won Player OTS for 502 Winter, isn't available for nomination!

Current nominations: @inkbone -- @griffin

QUOTE of the Season

Quote must come from a post made during Winter (10/01-11/30)!

Current nominations include...

"Her question drew down his gaze and his eyes fell to hers, emeralds to sapphires in a wordless negotiation." — @Blyse in I'll crawl home to her

"Her mother lives all in day, her father all in night, and Apolonia straddles the thin, dusky line halving her heart with not so much grace - startling awake in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn, trying to find some way to compromise." — @Apolonia in the vine & the rain & the light

• Winners will receive 100 signos and be highlighted in our Spotlight section!

• NEW! The (first) person to nominate a Spotlight winner will also receive 100 signos!

• Post the below form in a reply to this thread, or message staff directly if you'd like to stay anonymous.

• You may nominate for 1, 2, 3, or all categories - and may make multiple nominations per category!

• You can nominate those already listed under current nominations, but be aware that multiple votes won't increase their chances of winning! Please try and suggest someone different, if you're able to!

• We know it's tempting (and many of you deserve the recognition!), but please don't nominate yourself!

• Players/Characters who won the Year 502 Winter Spotlights cannot be nominated this time around. This doesn't apply to those who were nominated last time but not chosen. They may be nominated again!

Code:
<blockquote><blockquote>
<div class="tcat"><font style="font-size:20px; font-weight:bold;">Spotlight Nomination!</font></div>

<b>Which OTS</b>: CHARACTER, PAIR, THREAD, OR MEMBER OF THE SEASON
<b>Show us</b>: <a href="">LINK</a> TO THE CHARACTER(s), THREAD, OR MEMBER
<b>Reason:</b> TELL US WHY YOU CHOSE WHO/WHAT YOU CHOSE!

</blockquote></blockquote>

Staff will make the final vote and decide which of the nominees for each category is the best fit!

griffin — OOC Account Signos: 2,710
▶ Played by griffin [pm] Posts: 31 — Threads: 3
▶ [Female [She/Her/Hers] ] Hth:Atk:Exp:
▶ 2 [Year 501 Spring] Active Magic:
▶ 8 hh Bonded:
Spotlight Nomination!

Which OTS: Thread
Show us: Of Circles and Fangs and Hate
Reason: What do you want in a thread? Is it high drama between two established characters? Is it lovely, imaginative magic and descriptions? Is it chilling threats (against a queen no less?) Well, it's all right here. Do yourself a favor and read this beauty.

Which OTS: Character
Show us: @El Toro
Reason: Though I've only just managed to be in a thread with him, I have very much enjoyed reading El Toro the last couple months. He's had a rough go of it lately, and I love reading his posts - Muirgen manages to pack every sentence and word with what is clearly his POV (something I greatly admire, esp since his posts are hardly the monstrosity mine are). I'm very much looking forward to seeing him interact with a few pegasi and watching that side of him come out!

Which OTS: Pair
Show us: @Isra and @Eik
Reason: To be fair, there were not a lot of pairs this season (pick it up ya'll! I want my love drama). But also to be fair, I probably would have picked these two even if there were more competition. Their relationship is New (I don't think anyone knows, but I look forward to them finding out) but among the more poetic, passionate I've read. Both Nestle and Rae do a wonderful job weaving in both their magics, building worlds within worlds, and their threads read like a daydream - but with just enough tension to keep things spicy. Looking forward to seeing this one unfold.

Which OTS: Quote
Show us: "Her question drew down his gaze and his eyes fell to hers, emeralds to sapphires in a wordless negotiation." @Blyse in this thread
Reason: There are a lot of things that can get repetitive in the kind of writing we do here - I ask myself often how to keep writing certain actions (like looking, or walking, or so on) in a way that feels fresh and true to character without being too out there and silly. And I think Apothic nails it here. There have been many lovely quotes this season, but this one stuck out to me as a very lovely way to do a very common, necessary thing.

nestle — Moderator Signos: 935
▶ Played by nestle [PM] Posts: 8 — Threads: 0
▶ [Female [she/her/hers]] Hth:Atk:Exp:
▶ 1 [Year 502 Summer] Active Magic:
▶ 8 hh Bonded:
Spotlight Nomination!

Which OTS: Quote
Show us: "Her mother lives all in day, her father all in night, and Apolonia straddles the thin, dusky line halving her heart with not so much grace - startling awake in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn, trying to find some way to compromise." by @Apolonia in this thread
Reason: I've stalked this character for a while now and this quote really sums her up. It's lyrical and you can really feel how she can maybe sometimes feel like something 'other' than all the other horses around her. When you read the words they feel a little like a visual poem and I can almost see a character half in day, half in night, torn but loving both.

Which OTS: Member of the Season
Show us: @inkbone
Reason: She has been so busy this season working on Novus (with everyone else at course and I would nominate them all). From working on updating the activity check, tackling the remodel of the ranks, to helping me with the upcoming event. She's always ready to lend a helping hand or brainstorm some fun ideas and provide feedback. The about of logistical organizing that she has been doing makes my head spin. Inkbone is one of the backbones of this lovely game and I can't wait to see all the shiny new things implemented.

Which OTS: Character
Show us: @Asterion
Reason: I've loved watching the arc of this character. He's gone from sad and dreamy to determined (and still a little dreamy). He inherited his throne at the worst possible IC time. Asterion has had to whether a flood, moving his court to another court and now an army of gophers in his court. Everything that's been thrown at him has been handled with grace and a sort of realism that I can appreciate. Every post of his hits me where it counts. <3

Which OTS: Thread
Show us: TBD
Reason:because I love them all.

also pair will be coming....

Rae — OOC Account Signos: 0
▶ Played by Rae [pm] Posts: 31 — Threads: 2
▶ [Female] Hth:Atk:Exp:
▶ 2 [Year 501 Summer] Active Magic:
▶ 8 hh Bonded:
Oof, there have been some great nominations already!

Spotlight Nomination!

Which OTS: PAIR
Show us: Florentineand Lysander
Reason: They are so sweet and playful and loving and both so exquisitely written... If you have not read this thread, you should! You have humor and wanting and tenderness and I just get so excited when I see new posts between these characters. I live for the day they have children :D

Which OTS: THREAD
Show us: Bring me Steel with Acton and Blyse
Reason: 1) I love these characters and the way they are written. 2) I love any thread with magic and tension.

Which OTS: THREAD
Show us: the earth around you speaking tongues with Lysander and Veer
Reason: 1) I love these characters and the way they are written. 2) I love any thread with psychedelics and thoughtful conversation. Something about this thread just feels... refreshing. I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Which OTS: MEMBER
Show us: Griffin
Reason: Griffin is a huge inspiration to me :3 First of all, look at that stellar cast of characters! And somehow they are all actively and BEAUTIFULLY written?! Plus she is often around on the Discord and is always so sweet and supportive of everyone <3 This is maybe a silly story and not from 503 Spring, but long, long ago when I was new to Novus, I learned from Griff that it is totally okay to randomly message someone you would like to post with (and it actually feels really nice to receive such a message) and heck I don't know, I might not even still be at Novus if it wasn't for that message!

I will hopefully be back for character and quote!

▶ 15 hh Bonded:
Nominations are now closed! Staff will announce the winners soon ♥

▶ 15 hh Bonded:
Congrats to everyone! :D