Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Worship  - To the stars that listen

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Aislinn

A I S L I N N
"TO THE STARS THAT LISTEN"

The winged gypsy could not deny that she felt Calligo's presence as she trekked up the steep stone steps to the temple. Hues of pink and orange and yellow melted into deep purple clouds across the horizon like watercolor paints. Beautiful and stunning and unbelievable. The mountain was massive in size; she felt so so small as she stood staring down at the world below her. Surely, this was what the gods felt like. To be blessed to watch the makings of the realm from such heights.. she could only dream.

From a young age, Aislinn was always on the move. A nomad from birth, a wanderer in her blood, a drifter at heart. Funny, that she could not stand still in one place for long. Denocte had been her motherland for her entire life. Once a year her tribe would make the great pass through the mountains of Night. In all of her wanderings, she had only made the pilgrimage to the temple once before. She was just under a full year of seasons. Heavy lids shut, the memory sucking her in --

"Ma'ma, why doesn't Mother come with us?" she asked, chilled air blowing through her nostrils.

The nearly-white winged mare craned her neck around to smile down upon her daughter. Long feathered appendages stretched outwards, allowing the little yearling to duck beneath them to stand beside her. Aislinn nuzzled her dam. "Is it because she is afraid of heights?" she inquired.

Luna of the Stars sighed, shaking her head softly. "No, my little dreamer. Your mother, she is the Mother of us all," she started, voice light and sweet. They continued higher up the ancient stone steps, rocks tumbling over the edge at Aislinn's unsure hoofbeats.

"Freya is many things, but afraid of heights she is not. As you know, she is our true Mother, our leader. Blessed by the demi-goddess herself," she continued, "she comes alone to speak to Her. It's tradition that way.. for the tribe's Three Face's to journey on their own, once a year."

Aislinn youngling took in a slow, deep breath of winter air, deeply mulling over her mother's words. "Will I do the same as Freya someday?" she asked, her mother's true name strange on her lips.

The great dappled-white mare stopped, her wings sheltering Aislinn as snow began to fall. Luna smiled, regarding her daughter softly, her grin not quite reaching her silvery eyes. "Yes, my dear. One day you will become one of our great Faces, one of our protectors. Only then, shall you be able to seek the Night goddess yourself."

Aislinn blinked away the memory, a single fat tear falling free down her cheek. Her eyelids fluttered. The sun had dropped closer to the earth so quickly in mere moments. How long had she been standing there, lost in a half-remembered dream? Stars had begun to glimmer softly, the sun at last falling asleep beneath the line of the horizon. The moon was a silver ornament, glowing faintly. Her entire body shuddered, ivory locks shaking free of their braids.

"You were right Ma'ma," Aislinn whispered to the heavens. Her voice was smooth, a lullaby. Sucking a sharp breath of air into her lungs, she was moving once more. A stairway to the stars, a gateway to the gods. Inky blue and violet rolled across the sky, clear and perfect in it's darkness. She was almost there, almost to the citadel. Her heart thudded madly in her chest. Oh Calligo, are you listening?

Thrum. Thrum. Thump. Her strong, lithe frame shuddered, feeling like and heavy all at once. Butterflies fluttered wildly in her stomach. Aislinn's hooves clicked on the stones as she ascended the peak. Thrum. Thrum. Thump. Almost there. She could see the end of the trail now. Ivy and moss softening her footfalls. And suddenly she was there, the temple pillars reaching high above for several meters, joining together to create a stunning aclove. The air vibrated wonderfully. She was here.. finally here. Her blood boiled, her heart drumming against her ribs.

A relieved sigh shuddered out of her, bringing the winged gypsy down to her knees. "I am here, goddess of Night," she pledged. I am just a dreamer wishing for your guidance. Just a little dreamer.

OOC: This is open to anyone <3 Thread name inspired by the quote: "To the stars that listen, and the dreams that are answered," from Sarah J. Maas' A Court of Mist and Fury! I'm sorry for the stupid long post xD

LOVE, SPACE

Coraline

She had wandered for hours (or was it days?) taking several trails and winding paths until she found one that lead up. Having no idea about this place, she slowly ascended, taking her time, nudging each new flower and plant she encountered. Some smelled sweet, and others poked her without mercy. Others still made her sneeze. Her heart swelled, imagining how he would have stomped the pokey plants for daring to hurt her. A smile curled her lips as a tear lit in her button eye. Oh, how she missed him dearly! He had been her best friend, her confidante, and her only true love. She had never told him how she felt; and when a magical coma claimed her for two years, she woke to find he had died. She could not come to think of the reason he had died; but the guilt she felt was immense; crushing and consuming. She tried to force the thoughts from her mind, and in an effort to do so, threw her body headlong up the trail, forcing her lungs to burn and her heart to beat so fast that it couldn’t hold onto the sad memories anymore. It seemed to work. Before long, she was huffing and puffing and seeing spots before her eyes.

Coraline stopped, slowing her breathing and steadying herself. What she saw when the spots cleared was beautiful. She had come to the top of what could only be described as a mountain. Greenery stretched in every direction, the sunlight caressing everything in its path. She stared, jaw open, button eyes wide. She couldn’t see it, but her silver coat glittered like millions of diamonds as the sunlight wrapped around her. She moved around slowly, oblivious to everything but the beauty. Moments passed, and the filly heard the sound of another. Whipping around and trying to hunch down to make herself seem smaller and invisible, she waited until another emerged from another trail. She heard a whispering voice, and when the mare didn’t leap upon her and try to kill her, the filly slowly uncurled herself, watching a moment more before giving a soft, almost inaudible whicker. She didn’t want to frighten the other mare, but nor did she really want to draw attention to herself. She was afraid, and without him here, she knew that there were things that could kill her if they wanted to. He had been her savior; her strength and her love. But he was gone now, and she was alone. She swallowed down another tear and a sob, and took one more step closer to the other female.

”H…he…hello.”

Her voice was sweet and gentle, a tinkling bell in a breeze. The filly was sweet, soft spoken and terrified of everything. Her mother had done her no justice when she was but a baby, and despite the great strides she had made in her few years of life, she had reverted back after he left her. She was nearly a weanling again in her mindset. Poor girl. All she needs is love.

”Speech”
Coraline

| Silver chain from the pirate siren | Blue Macaw feather in mane |
Image © Firenze Design @ Deviant Art

Aislinn

A I S L I N N

Her eyes closed, Aislinn breathed deeply through her nostrils and exhaled out of her mouth. She stood still in the center of the sacred aclove, the temple pillars rising high above her. Quietly, she meditated. "I seek your guidance, your protection, and your blessing," she whispered smoothly along a soft exhale of breath. The night air was sweet and earthy, vibrating warmly either with her excitement or something truly divine, she did not know.

Patiently, she waited. She was not sure exactly what would happen; if the gods even did grace the mortal realm with their presence or no. She stood there silently, a quiet guardian under the blanket of stars. The moon had fully risen now, a full glowing disc hanging on an invisible thread. Her heavy lids were closed, the serene moment balancing between relief and expectation for something inherently horrible.

The winged mare was about to utter another prayer when her ears caught something so so soft; a whisper of a calling that had her second guessing if she was just imaging the sound entirely. When she was more confident that she simply imagined the sound, a moment passed and a sing-songy voice trilled a hello. Aislinn whipped around, her nerves on fire from prayer and uncertainty, her natural defenses higher than normal. Her wings fluttered outwards in surprise, and her icy blue orbs fell upon a little silver filly. Immediately she noticed how her coat seemed to shimmer under the starlight filtering into the temple -- stunning and beautiful, albeit very noticeable. However, at first glance, she could not seem to shake the sudden feeling of something being very off about her. As she took in the shock of having company, Aislinn realized that the youngling had button eyes. Her muscles went rigid, intrigued and uneasy at the same time.

But oh.. the shining filly gave off the distinct scent of fear. She looked to be folded into herself, afraid of surprising her while she was calling to the demi-goddess. Aislinn breathed in slowly, a comforting smile blooming on her face. "Hello, my dear. Don't be afraid." The gypsy took a cautious step toward her, not wanting to frighten the little one. Lowering her wings, submissive in her stance, Aislinn took one more step, her head falling so her eyes were level with the filly's. "What's your name?"

OOC: @Coraline hello! I'm sorry if this is a crappy post :P and omg I LOVE Coraline's design!

LOVE, SPACE

Coraline

The mare was likely going to kill her now, for interrupting something that looked to be very important. The filly waited for it, and when her wings snapped open, she uttered a strangled cry; something between fear and resignation. Yes, death had come to claim her after all. After all she had endured and escaped, after all she had been through in her short little life, she was going to be killed by a surprised mare. Coraline stood, unable to flee, unable to even twitch in her own defense; but the killing blow never came. Instead, it looked like the dark mare composed herself and calmed. Was it as simple as Coraline having startled her? Could someone as inauspicious and little as Coraline have the ability to scare someone else? She didn’t think so – she had never scared anyone before. But then again, this was a new place. Perhaps dangers came upon them just as she had. Maybe there was something creeping up behind her right this minute, looking to make a quick meal of an unsuspecting filly! She found the ability to move and dashed out of her hiding place and spun around, button eyes searching for the danger that didn’t come.

The mare seemed to have finished composing herself, and Coraline turned back around, still trying to stay as small and inconspicuous as possible, but failing. The mare had seen her, had spoken to her. Now she had to reply or seem rude. Coraline saw the smile, and tried to smile in return, but it looked more like a pained grimace. It’s amazing what fear will do to a youngling. Even more-so when your mother hates your very existence and refuses to teach you a single thing you need to know to survive! But that is another story to be told another time. The mare was speaking, demanding a name…no…asking. Yes, she was asking for a name. She couldn’t be death come to claim her – she didn’t imagine death would be so polite, calm, and quiet. Coraline tried to speak, but was having a hard time getting the words out. She flipped her tail in frustration. Curse her inability to be bold like Pan, or assertive like Bar…he was. She wished she could be kind like the little pink Pegasus, or cunning like Tarquin. She wished she could be anything but the meek, terrified child that she was.

”Coraline.”

The word was softly spoken, gentle, and while it still held a tinge of fear, thinking of him always steadied her voice. He had been her savior, her best friend. He had fought a dragon for her! A dragon! And while he had come home with several injuries from it, it was his biggest fear that she would hate him for trying to attack the diseased and dangerous creature. All he wanted was to protect her and love her, and yet neither of them had the ability to tell the other how much they cared. How strange the things you don’t see in your youth, that you see after the bad thing has happened. ”Are you going to eat me?” There was less fear, and more resignation. She still imagined the mare was some sort of illusion, here to lure her into a sense of security before pouncing. Like the sleeping lion that encourages the gazelle to sneak past, only to take out the Achilles tendons. ”If you are…could you make it hurt as little as possible?” All she wanted was to be with him again – and if death was the only option, she would gladly take it.

”Speech”
Coraline

@Aislinn  <3

Aislinn

A I S L I N N

Instantaneously, regret flooded her as Aislinn took in the cowering little filly. A dangerous mix with her nerves on fire. She sighed deeply to rid herself of the creeping nausea. Her genuine smile stayed on her face, the mare drooping her great wings in submission. The poor thing. Icy silver-blue eyes softened as she gazed upon the youngling, waiting patiently. She did not want to press her, and scare her more than she already appeared to be. By the stars, the filly was probably lost and wandering. Where was her mother? Surely she could not be alone at the highest point in the new world.

Coraline. A sweet name, for a sweet girl, she presumed. She reminded her of another filly she had been told stories about, a Rahilah gypsy that eventually became known as the Red Maiden. Her thoughts drifted to the  story as she stood there, so much so that she was not sure she heard the filly's next words correctly. Eat her? Stars above, where exactly had she come from? No wonder the youngling was so frightened! Aislinn shook her head softly, dropping to her knees and laying down in front of her. Surely this way, the winged mare would able to convey that she was not a threat. "My darling, no. I am not going to eat you." She spoke calmly and evenly, in an attempt to soothe her. "Where did you come from? Are you lost?"

OOC: @Coraline <3 I'm sorry this post isn't my best at all D:

LOVE, SPACE

Coraline

Oh, no, my darling new friend. Coraline’s body is a three year old. Grown enough to bear children and be considered nearly mature – it is her mind that is still that of a yearling. When her body was the same as her mind, she had been trapped in a magical coma. Two years her body was left to grow and mature, but her mind remained that of a child, as she wasn’t awake to grow and learn. So while she appeared to be grown, she wasn’t mentally there. So now, here she was, a child in a woman’s body, standing before yet another stranger, wondering if her time to die had come. It wouldn’t be hard to harm the child – she didn’t know how to fight, and even if she did, she was much too much of a lover to want to. She would rather be hurt than risk hurting anyone else. Besides…she had done enough damage in her last homes. She didn’t want to face that again. No one else would ever be hurt on her account – that she vowed fervently.

And then the mare did something so unexpected, the filly took a step back, almost desperately searching for an exit. The mare laid down, and the filly just knew she was going to be eaten from the knees up. She pranced a moment, but then realized the mare didn’t make a move, and spoke to her, she realized that maybe she wasn’t going to be eaten today. Besides, she always thought monsters had to tell the truth – that if they were going to eat her, they had to tell you. She tried to feel more at ease, trying hard to be brave. ”I picked a path and followed it. I’m not sure where I am, or what I’m supposed to do now that I’m here.” She glanced away from the mare, taking in the scenery again. It was beautiful, being this high and seeing everything. Her gaze returned to the mare, and the filly realized she had not grown fangs or horns or giant claws. ”Do you know where we are?”

”Speech”

@Aislinn <3

Aislinn

A I S L I N N

The winged mare laid there beneath the stars, crystalline blue eyes on the silver youngling before her. Perhaps she had been wrong all along.. the little one may not be as young as she appeared to be. She could see it now, although still youthful, but the stranger's physical form was somewhat mature. But her demeanor... Aislinn could not place it. She cocked her head to the side as she thought more on it, failing at figuring out exactly who and what this beautiful youngling was.

She thought again about the Red Maiden and her story. Maybe she will tell it to her, now or later or someday far off. Maybe the shining silver filly with button eyes can learn from it, just as Ash once had. She mulled over this as she listened her newfound company. Oh.. so she was lost. Possibly curious, a wanderer, she might guess. Biting her lip, Aislinn's gaze reached past the little one and to the stars that sprinkled the dark sky. Almost mindlessly, she replied, "We are at the top of Veneror Peak, the highest reach of Novus." Sapphire orbs turned towards Coraline, warmth growing in Aislinn's eyes. "This is the temple of the gods, a most sacred place," she said softly, the memory of her mother when she was young surfacing in the corners of her mind. She smiled to herself, the nostalgia and indescribable feeling of stepping into her mother dame's footsteps overwhelming her as she peered down at the young mare - not a filly, no - in front of her. "They say that sometimes the gods grace this place."

OOC: @Coraline <3 I'm so sorry this post is rather late!!!

LOVE, SPACE

Coraline

Her button eyes looked out over the moonlit landscapes of the world she found herself in, struggling to make out details. She could see valleys and tiny dots she assumed were ponds, and a few glittering ribbons that must be rivers. The mare before her said this was a sacred place, and the silver girl wondered for the thousandth time if she was intruding on something important, or something she shouldn’t be involved in. She blinked a few times as the landscapes blurred together. With a soft sigh, the filly’s head turned and her button eyes fell once more upon the winged mare.

”What gods are here? Are there different ones?” Her mind moved to Maaemo, and the others from her last home. She once thought her adopted father, Iago was a god. And the thestral who burned down her home. She refused to think of his name (mainly because my old ass can’t remember it) because she had not yet forgiven him for what he did. It was because of his actions that her best friend was dead. She wanted to hate him, to curse his name, but she didn’t have it in her heart, so all she could do was simply refuse to acknowledge him.

”How do I know which one is right for me? Will they betray us? Hurt us?” Her little voice was soft, emotional, yet she refused to cry. She wanted to be the grown up she was supposed to be; she didn’t want to be afraid anymore. ”Do they grant wishes?” All she could think of was spending an eternity with Mew. And if that wasn’t possible, maybe she could still have a foal with him – a tiny piece of him that could live on with her forever. She gave a tiny smile at the thought. What a miracle that would be!

”And perform miracles?”

”Speech”

@Aislinn

Aislinn

A I S L I N N

The stormsinger's crown tilted to the side as she watched the young mare, her curiosity blossoming in full force as she beheld her. Such a lost girl; to have no inkling of where one was in such a vast, mysterious place. Aislinn thought of this as her gaze flickered to the expanse of stars shining through the columns of stone that supported that beautiful citadel. So so close, that she could almost reach out and touch them; swim in their sea of pearls against Calligo's great darkness. A smile tugged at her lips at the thought, before she turned her attention back to the shining youngling, her own gaze of brightest blue meeting hers made of buttons.

What gods are here? Are there different ones?

The stormsinger's grin widened more. "Yes," she started, a soft chuckle rumbling in her throat. Oh to be young and innocent again. "There are five. Oriens, the god of the rising sun; Solis, the god of unrelenting day; Vespera, the goddess of sunsets," she paused, her eyes closing and warmth flooding her as the fourth name touched her lips, "Calligo, the demi-goddess of stars and slumbering darkness." She slowly blinked her eyes open, inhaling deeply as the story of the gods washed over her. Another tale, for another time, perhaps. "And the fifth; their father, Tempus, the god of time itself."

How do I know which one is right for me? Will they betray us? Hurt us?

Such curious, cautious questions for someone so young. Aislinn inhaled sharply, turning the girl's words over and over. But in the end, she shook her crown, her wild starlight-colored mane shuddering at the movement. "That is for you to decide, little one," she replied, almost solemnly, "but I cannot speak for the gods. In my heart, I do not believe they would ever harm us though." Some truth, at least. I cannot say for sure for the other three, save for Calligo. For she knew in the deepest corners of her soul that her own goddess could never harm one who called the Night home.

Do they grant wishes? And perform miracles?

Aislinn laughed then; truly laughed. A musical, bell-like sound that rumbled in her throat and echoed off of the temple's stone walls. The stars glittered and winked almost in answer to the night-blessed mare. "Yes, they do.. at least I'd like to believe they do." With a great inhale, the winged mare pulled herself up to stand, a shiver of relief shuddering down her spine at the sweet bliss of stretching her muscles once more. She slowly stepped closer to the young mare, a soft smile a phantom on her lips. "You just need faith."

Moving to the entrance and exit to the citadel, she turned and silently spoke a prayer to her demi-goddess once more. Thanking her for her listening ears and patience, and for bringing such an unexpected but not unwanted visitor to her this night. Turning back to look at the silver youngling, she fluffed her feathers to prepare for her launch into the skies. "You are always welcome to the Night, little one." A smile, a goodbye.

And as she bent her knees and her great wings unfurled to taste the sweet air of Calligo's shadows, the stormsinger's voice fluttered back into the citadel like a whisper. "My name is Aislinn," she sighed, and then she was gone in a flurry of moonlight and stars and smoke.

OOC: @Coraline <3 woo! Did a thing. I'm sorry for the ruddy closeout... I plan on throwing Ash in your new thread too so our babes can meet again :3

LOVE, SPACE

Coraline

The woman-child listened as the winged mare spoke, more and more about the gods that governed the heavens and the earth. It sounded so wonderful, that there were many, but perhaps that was not the best. Her memories flooded her brain again – Fantome setting fire to her home, destroying it; destroying the only boy she had ever loved. She shuddered. He had betrayed her. Betrayed all of them. He had done irreparable harm; had murdered, even if it was unintentional. She didn’t think she could ever forgive him for what he had done. She had lost her entire family in one fell swoop – Iago forgot about her; Mew was dead; Toke was dead; Maaemo had gone missing. There was nobody left but Coraline. And Pan. And Flora.

Perhaps these gods could do miracles, as Aislinn suggests. Maybe she could still have Mew! Maybe he could come back and be with her forever, and have no memory that he died. Maybe that could happen, and they could be happy together, like they used to be. They could play tag and hide, and fight dragons and mermaids and sirens. They could run from the bottom of the mountain to the top and then jump off the edge, knowing that the wind would catch them, and not harm them. Yes, if miracles could happen…that’s what she would wish for.

She listened and heard, and had so many other questions, but decided she was growing tired. She allowed herself to follow the winged mare to the edge of the citadel and dipped her little head in a goodbye of sorts as the mare leapt into the sky. Maybe, she thought as dreams overtook her, she would wish for wings, too. Like Mew had. Big and fluffy and warm, that would let her touch the sky just once. Yes. That would be magical.

@Aislinn no worries... Coraline would be happy to have you in any thread. She's excited to be around. :D
@inkbone - I will be posting a signos redemption as well for first time threading with Aislinn. :D

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »