Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Apollo

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

Warm.

She was so warm. Apollo relished in it, pressing himself as close to Ktulu as he dared. As she wrapped her neck across his back, he did the same, reciprocating the action as well as he could manage in his current state. Honey-brown eyes slid closed, willingly drowning himself in her warmth, in her presence, in the sound of her voice and the scent that clung to her; sandalwood and a musk that was distinctly Ktulu. It reminded him of days long passed, of living in dark forests like mercenaries, like running and dancing and playing in the fields so close to the heavens...

For awhile they were silent, simply thriving in one another's company. Apollo was content with it. He rubbed his cheek against Ktulu's spine, eyes half-lidded and tracing the pattern of gold weaving upon her back with his gaze. She was so warm against the chill of his feverish skin... And she was very much alive. When she breathed in, he did the same. When she released it, so did he. Nothing else mattered save this moment, this moment of having Ktulu all to himself, greedily, letting the Constrictor shield him from the world just as she had shielded him so many times in Helovia. Through trials, through tribulations, through war and death, through life and sun, they had always found their way back to one another, and this moment was no different.

Somehow they had found each other. They were together, amidst a strange land that neither one of them recognized, stripped of their magic and of their precious companions, but at least they weren't alone. At least they had each other. For now, that would be enough. It had to be enough.

Eventually Ktulu began to speak, her soft voice cast at a trembling murmur. Strong Ktulu. Proud Ktulu, headstrong and brash... But she was only mortal. No matter how strong, how proud, how fierce he knew she could be, she was only mortal, and like all mortal things, they could hurt. Hearing her speak of Eytan, that he was not with her when she had awoken, sounded so similar to his own experience with waking up without Zola at his side. It made his chest ache in a way that had nothing to do with his fever, and he swallowed thickly, maw parting to speak, when Ktulu spoke again.

'Apollo... He killed Phi.'

Oh.

Oh.

Ophelia. Ktulu's twin sister. She had been struck down by Kaos, along with so many others. They had never stood a chance. The usurper had struck them all down without any effort, followed shortly by the Gods themselves. Forsaken, they were, and for all he knew, only he and Ktulu had made it out alive. Was it a blessing? It sure as hell didn't feel like it. The guilt of surviving was a strong one, but at least they had survived together.

"I... I know," he muttered, his voice warbled and raspy, and the Merciful suddenly realized how very thirsty he was, his throat raw from his previous screaming, "I know. I... I'm so, so sorry, Ktu. I'm so sorry." Apologies meant little in the face of grief. He understood. Once more he began to rub his cheek tenderly along the Constrictor's back, hoping that such a simple ministration would soothe the terrible ache of her battered heart. "I'm here, though. I'm here for you. With you. I-I won't leave you alone, Ktu. I promise." With his last breath, he would not leave her. Not again. Never again.

Clearing his throat, Apollo shuddered, shivering from the cold of his illness. "We n-need to figure out where we are. And go from there. This... Whatever this place is, I wasn't expecting anything like it. Maybe we can find Zola and Eytan, too." They could try, at least. Despite his words, Apollo found himself reluctant to leave Ktulu's warm embrace. He sighed, a long, breathy sound, and allowed his eyes to fully drop closed, wrapped around the monochromatic mare. "Whenever you're ready..."

Maybe he was a little selfish. Maybe he didn't want to leave her touch, her warmth, her scent... But standing around amidst a beautiful prairie would bring them no closer to the answers they so desperately sought.

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

@Ktulu

Messages In This Thread
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Apollo - 09-23-2017, 07:12 PM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Ktulu - 09-23-2017, 07:13 PM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Apollo - 09-23-2017, 08:58 PM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Ktulu - 09-23-2017, 09:47 PM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Apollo - 09-24-2017, 03:40 PM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Ktulu - 09-24-2017, 05:32 PM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Apollo - 09-26-2017, 08:14 PM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Reichenbach - 09-27-2017, 12:04 AM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Ktulu - 10-05-2017, 12:57 PM
RE: It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah - by Apollo - 10-15-2017, 05:56 PM