Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - The Fire Finds a Home in Me

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 164 — Threads: 28
Signos: 385
Inactive Character

She understands what Isra is saying, that this would have happened whether or not she had been home. And yet, Katniss cannot help but wish that she had not returned to devastation. It had been her job to protect Denocte and she had failed her people so miserably. She felt unworthy to be standing here in Isra’s presence, ashamed that she had not been able to prevent the attack or to bring justice to those that started them. Isra had come home to a broken kingdom, a kingdom where the citizens here were scared and worried about what the future would hold. She had hoped Isra’s homecoming would be filled with parades and chear and happiness. But there was no parade, no shouts of welcoming from her people, no happiness. It was solemn and the air filled with the tears of those who had lost so much.

Katniss looks to the bird who lays still upon her back, his lungs struggling to breathe. Finnick had been so brave. The eagle had done so much for Katniss in the short time they had been together. She can only hope that as time wore on, their bond would grow even stronger, that it would grow into something unbreakable.

Her eyes turn back to the queen, however, she is unable to meet her gaze. The confidence she normally exudes is not there, replaced by a feeling of unworthiness. “Your homecoming should have been a grand welcoming…instead you are greeted with the tears and cries of those that lost everything.” Lives had been lost, food at been lost, but perhaps what was most unsettling was the loss of hope. When she looked at those who were picking through the wreckage, she saw nothing but fear of the unknown. She did not see hope or confidence. Denocte had been demoted into a hopeless nation. Raum would pay for this. Who else would have done such a thing?

But it was in this quiet moment that something is happening. At first, she does not see the way Isra turns the charred apples into healthy rounds of fruit. She doesn’t see the repair of the burlap sacks. But when the oak tree turns into an apple tree, bearing fruit, this is what catches Katniss’ attention. She turns her attention away from Isra as she surveys the changes that Isra is making. Her eyes are wide, her mouth gaping just a moment. But then, her jaw sets and she is angry for only a moment. So many had risked their lives to save what had been stored away and Isra has the ability to create it anew? So many lives unnecessarily risked in the fires. And yet, she says nothing. She does not tell Isra that she is jealous of her powers or that she is angry that she chooses now to show them off. Instead, she tries to exude confidence and happiness for what Isra has delivered.

Isra speaks, saying that she has learned a few things while she was gone. It was not these words that had Katniss’ attention, but the look of war and determination that does. She knows this look and she feels it well. No matter how angry or jealous she might be, she knows that someone will have to pay for the price of this devastation. “Someone will pay for this.” She looks out over the smoke and char, her intention clear. Someone would pay for this and it would be a heavy price to pay.

@Isra

Messages In This Thread
The Fire Finds a Home in Me - by Katniss - 05-08-2019, 05:11 PM
RE: The Fire Finds a Home in Me - by Isra - 05-14-2019, 12:48 PM
RE: The Fire Finds a Home in Me - by Katniss - 05-31-2019, 08:44 AM
RE: The Fire Finds a Home in Me - by Isra - 06-14-2019, 02:07 PM
RE: The Fire Finds a Home in Me - by Katniss - 06-24-2019, 09:26 PM
RE: The Fire Finds a Home in Me - by Isra - 07-06-2019, 02:05 PM
RE: The Fire Finds a Home in Me - by Katniss - 07-07-2019, 09:35 AM
RE: The Fire Finds a Home in Me - by Isra - 07-13-2019, 06:14 PM