Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - [Fall] A single face in a crowd

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Lullivy [PM] Posts: 225 — Threads: 37
Signos: 1,285
Night Court Sovereign
Female [She/her/hers]  |  15 [Year 496 Spring]  |  15.3 hh  |  Hth: 3 — Atk: 3 — Exp: 51  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: Picoro (Sloth)

She had been sick for as long as she could remember. She understood that they didn't think she would survive her first night, let alone the first year. She had been born a month early, before spring came to Herstial. She had often refused to nurse as a child. Her parents brought in many healers, who prescribed various treatments. The first recommended getting her out to train and exercise, attributing her fragility to a lack of stimulation. That had proven ineffective very quickly, and it only caused her condition to worsen. The second recommended a treatment regimen of herbs and food, and predicted that she would be well by her second birthday. Within a month there was no improvement. It continued, for a while. No one ever said what was wrong with her, and eventually her parents settled for the fact that she would not get better. The only thing they got out of the healers, was a list of herbs that would help ease her symptoms. 

She remembered as a child wishing to play with the other foals. sons and daughters of nobles, and having to stay inside either due to a headache or a fever. Even when she felt well she was not allowed to go out.  All the kingdom knew of her ailment, though most did not see her until she was three when she began making public appearances at long last.  Her crown was made of willow wood, so as not to be too heavy. The maids doused her hair in oils to bring some shine to it, and braided it to hide how thin it was. They rubbed the same oils into her coat so that it would shine like that of a healthy woman. However, there was no hiding her hips or ribs. 

Of course, no one dared say anything. For one they couldn't, after all, it was not good practice to get on the monarch's bad side. But also, she was fairly well regarded by the people.  She had begged for years for her parents too allow her some responsibility, too which they relented eventually.  They gave her the role of liaison, between the council and the lower classes. So every day she felt well enough, she would take a promenade through the lower classes, where she would speak to the builders, the smiths, and all alike, about the conditions there. When Obyana came into the picture, he often accompanied her. 

She had thought she would never bear children nor grow old. Of course, she did bear children, but only because she had begged the firstborns to allow her to do so. and it had taken its toll. It was only on Vegas goodwill that she had survived in the end.  Survived to see Elysium crumble that was. Sometimes she wondered if it was a blessing or a curse. 

She was relieved to see the concern on Caelum face fade a little. "The healers never found out, or at least if they did, I was never privy to that information myself. Mostly it causes pain. Headaches,  joint pain, fatigue. On a normal day  the latter are always present, but manageable. Good days are the same but lesser. Bad days are... Unsightly. I've had good practice in shouldering them"

She was pleased to know that her assumption had been correct, and decided to allow the mare some knowledge of her own past. They had come this far after all. "Luvena Devika Xiaoli. Crowned Princess, of what was once the kingdom of Herstial. It's not a title I keep anymore. That was a long time ago"  She reached out to softly touch the mare's shoulder. "I'm sorry your kingdom was lost. I know what it's like, I've been there more than once"

It was silly, and rude. But she couldn't help but laugh at Caelums words. "My apologies. It's only... I've preached those same words to others more than once. I plan to settle here, I just..." she trailed off with a deep sigh, her heart aching for times gone by. "I need to know, before I do, that this one is going to last."

@Caelum

Messages In This Thread
[Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Caelum - 10-18-2019, 04:43 PM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Luvena - 10-18-2019, 05:40 PM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Caelum - 10-18-2019, 06:29 PM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Luvena - 10-18-2019, 06:57 PM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Caelum - 10-18-2019, 09:25 PM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Luvena - 10-19-2019, 09:08 AM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Caelum - 10-19-2019, 04:48 PM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Luvena - 10-19-2019, 06:30 PM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Caelum - 10-20-2019, 07:17 PM
RE: [Fall] A single face in a crowd - by Luvena - 11-01-2019, 09:23 PM