Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - [FALL] to the earth and the sky,

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 118 — Threads: 19
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

The maze called to me all night. The corn sent long roots that burst through the soil throughout the court, tickled my hocks, whispered sweet and terrible words that both horrified and magnetized me. They told me how the earth tasted when it was soaked with blood. They told me of all the bones and guts and rotten things beneath the earth, and how everything alive was just recycled death.

They told me of a secret at the heart of the corn maze, and a memory of death.

I think that was the night I learned to detach myself from my terror. It was a strange thing. I recognized it there, unmistakable: my fear. Worms crawling in my belly, cold chill, frozen bones. Heart racing  the way my legs wanted to, away away away. I recognized my fear but it wasn’t me. It was like looking at my reflection, at that frail, terrified, ghost of a girl, and upon turning away, I was able to leave her there in the mirror.

I didn’t say a word about my fear to sister. I knew she would want to dive deep into the maze. I knew she wanted to fight her way through it, just as much as I wanted to listen to it, lean about its stories, and then gently rip its secrets out. I suppose we both had violent intentions– Avesta the jugular, me the heart. The only difference was that I was just as terrified as I was excited. But she didn't need to know that.

She proposed a race and I smiled. I remember how easy and wicked that smile was. How easy all of it was. Life, youth, fearlessness. I vaulted after sister into the dark of the maze, nipping lightly at her flanks to say “don’t you dare slow down” just as Furfur nipped at his brother’s heels.

We skidded to a halt in a dusty, furry mess of limbs and laughter. It was the first dead end. “The fastest way is through,” I gasped. The magic was young and wild in me. I felt special, chosen. The corn wanted me to find its secrets. I glanced behind me, nothing but shadows. No one watching. So I stepped forward and parted the wall of corn with gentle-violent encouragement of my horn. I did not need to encourage Avesta’s haste. We were here to win.

a s p a r a

@Morrighan @Avesta

Messages In This Thread
[FALL] to the earth and the sky, - by Avesta - 10-18-2019, 08:57 PM
RE: [FALL] to the earth and the sky, - by Aspara - 10-27-2019, 03:10 PM
RE: [FALL] to the earth and the sky, - by Morrighan - 10-29-2019, 10:33 PM
RE: [FALL] to the earth and the sky, - by Avesta - 11-23-2019, 06:16 PM
RE: [FALL] to the earth and the sky, - by Aspara - 12-17-2019, 11:00 AM
RE: [FALL] to the earth and the sky, - by Morrighan - 12-23-2019, 10:47 PM
RE: [FALL] to the earth and the sky, - by Avesta - 01-18-2020, 05:22 PM