Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Carnival of Souls

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 118 — Threads: 19
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

A S P A R A

That night I met Reinhart was otherwise unremarkable. It was a little cold, a little frosty. Spring was close. I don’t know how exactly I knew but I did. It is just the sort of knowledge that lives in your bones, I guess. I was a winter child, well at ease in the cold and the snow, and I did not look forward to the change in seasons. I did not look forward to time’s passage at all, but time cared little for my will. 

My family's eminent departure hung heavy on my shoulders. With each second that passed, I felt guiltier and guiltier. I knew I should be making the most of the time I had; after all I really might never see them again, once they set sail.

But all I could do was waste time. As though if I tried hard enough, I could burn right through it, straight to the day they returned to me, triumphant and safe and happy to be home. I know, I already said time cared little for my will. I know it now, and I knew it then.

But I was a damn stubborn little girl.

Anyway, I don’t remember the specifics of how we met. The way the light fell, the feeling of the familiar streets beneath my feet, the distant noise of people buying, selling, laughing, dancing. I just remember it was a new moon, and the night was young, and I found an earring in the trampled snow. I had been following a quiet alley to the marketplace when the flash of gold had caught my eye. It was a simple piece, but pretty. A green stone dangling on a golden loop, simple but elegant. It would perfectly fit my style, if I had any interest in cultivating such a thing. There was only one on the ground.

The tracks in the snow seemed fresh, so I hurried my pace. It would fetch a pretty penny at the markets, but I was more concerned with returning it to its owner. When I got closer to the dark shape in front of me, moving fast, I called out in a voice that sounded older than I was: “Hey, you!

They paused. I think they did not want to turn and face me, but after a moment of deliberation they did.

It was not a they. It was a boy. He was older than me, but still a boy. I could tell by the hunch of his shoulders and the look in his eye, the look all boys have. I probably should have recognized him instantly as a noble son, but I had inherited a dislike of social events and a downlike disdain for the wealthy. I kept to myself, my family, and our small social circle.

I stared too long at him before asking “is this yours?” The earring hung in the still air between us. It dangled in the light of a distant fire, but I missed the way the light glinted off it like sparks of sunlight. I was solemn. All snow and slate. I did not for one second break my gaze with the stranger.

-
@Reinhart <3

Messages In This Thread
Carnival of Souls - by Aspara - 01-22-2020, 11:00 PM
RE: Carnival of Souls - by Reinhart - 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM
RE: Carnival of Souls - by Aspara - 01-24-2020, 09:59 PM
RE: Carnival of Souls - by Reinhart - 01-24-2020, 10:30 PM
RE: Carnival of Souls - by Aspara - 02-01-2020, 05:52 PM