Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - our dead drink the sea

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sam [PM] Posts: 306 — Threads: 50
Signos: 900
Inactive Character

take this burden away from me
and bury it before it buries me

His smile is what catches her, what causes her to look at him longer than she should. “Dangers?” She questions him in mock surprise. “You haven't proven to be dangerous yet,” she almost taunts him. Elena doesn't recognize herself in this moment. She has always been bright and strong, but this, this fire she fans is a flame she has not seen in herself before. She blinks blue eyes like she has never been afraid before. “You never even asked for my name,” she says. “It’s Elena.” She is bold, too bold. She will forget this boldness when she needs it most. She will think back on how she had been so bold against this man and wonder what could have spurned it, and if she could live her whole life as so.

“No don't go lying to me,” she says sweetly. She isn't toying with him, she knows he doesn't want her in any way, especially that way, she would be able to feel it if he did. Then why does she continue this behavior? Elena behaves as those she is untouchable. It comes down to it that this man could kill her if he wanted to, still could. But, he hasn’t, and Elena thinks this is what it is like to be immortal.

Where are her scars? What are her scars?

A scar upon her shoulder, to mark her as his, a debt to be collected.

A scar on her knee, tripping over a tree root as she can, carefree, thinking nothing but the wind could catch her.

A scar on her shoulder. Taken from her from a boy of navy blue, telling her he cared about her so much that he would hurt her to prove it.

A scar just above each eye, when her vision came back.

Everywhere, her scars are everywhere.

These scars, are nearly all covered up by the years. She tucks them away neatly in her chest, paints over them, colors them, sculpts them until no one can recognize them, until only the foundation is weak. She is not something to be easily broken.

Even if so many think she is.

“I said that out loud?” She asks him before shaking his head. Elena watches him, decides she doesn't like the way he is standing against that cliff side. She remembers stopping Litotes from jumping over one, well, tried to stop him anyway. It had been an illusion, they had landed in a hole. She wonders if he likes dancing on cliff sides too, or if he stays away, because he likes flying off them far too much. She wants to jump forward, pull him back, but everything in her is restrained. He is not the type of man to pull away from a cliff, he is the type of man you watch take another step forward, plummet down, and never tell anyone what you saw.

She smirks at his smile. “An old fable,” she says, thinking too of the lion and the mouse. She wonders why lions like to involve themselves in other animal's affairs. “I suppose she is,” Elena responds. It is then she feels the hatred at the ridge of her spine, it hits her like knives and she silently takes an inhale of breath before she meets his eyes. “Though they have the right to make Terrastella their home as much as I do,” she says, feeling the urge to defend the creatures that could very well not do the same for her. She had been told the dangers of kelpies, knows what they could do to her, but Elena is so stubbornly true to her nature, and she will not insult even monsters she does not know. “You’ll find a pleasant inn, at the heart of the city, I suggest staying there, well away from the ocean.” She says to him in such a voice that tells him she has no intention of showing him the way. “You can leave in the morning.” Elena speaks with some sense of finality before she begins the walk down the path she had come from.

And as she walks she hears not the pitter of rain, just—

Patter. Patter. Patter.

…Patter.

so take away this apathy
bury it before it buries me

@Vercingtorix

[Image: ddvotwe-59302ba6-6a81-47bf-9846-30c5a5db...0iFb4PvyXE]

let's light this house on fire
we'll dance in the warmth of its blaze
pixel made by the amazing star

Messages In This Thread
our dead drink the sea - by Vercingtorix - 07-02-2020, 12:58 AM