Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - a flame by another name

Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Maeve

M A E V E

- ✦ -

I
've been watching the way the leaves have been changing and it's like some kind of magic. They've gone from green to varying shades of golds, oranges and reds. It reminds me of fire and it scares me a little. Will the leaves burn me if I touch them? Is it fire that makes them change their colors and fall to the ground?

It all still seems like a kind of magic while I watch it happen around me. I haven't gotten too close to one yet, just in case it might burn me. I can't shake the curiosity though. It's all too interesting that I can't resist. I slowly get closer, one cautious step at a time.

When I look around to take it all in, the forest is pretty, and I like the way it smells. It's nothing like fire but a kind of damp earth sort of smell that blends with the dampness of the lake. It's a funny but good smell, so I don't mind it. My heart catches in my throat as I get closer and I see more leaves falling from the branches. They don't set the ground on fire when they land, so it must be okay, right?

So when I do finally stand close to a tree trunk, I look alllll the way up until my eyes burn a little from the bright sunlight above me. This tree doesn't have many of its leaves left, so it's very bare. It has all orange leaves, so the color that most resembles fire. I take a big gulp as I see one leaf start to fall down towards my face.

I need to face my fear eventually, probably.

But not today.

I jump and start walking backwards, but I don't take my eyes off of the leaf as it falls. Of course, silly me doesn't realize that someone is behind me, so I end up running into them.

"Ooof!" I shout, although I guess it's more of a squeak. When I turn around, I breathe a loud sigh of relief when I see it's not Momma Morr. Still, I feel really bad for bumping into her. I recognize her as the woman Momma can't stand, although I can't figure out why. She's pretty and looks nice. Then again, Momma seems to get mad at just about everyone, so maybe that's not a good way to judge people.

When I remember this though, I realize she might be mad at me because she hates Momma, so I look up at her with wide eyes. "I'm so sorry, miss Moira! I-I really didn't mean to…" I look down at the ground then, feeling completely ashamed. I hope she won't be too upset and will forgive my foolishness. I don't even know how to explain what I was doing either, so I hope she hadn't seen too much of it.

§

she listens to wind secrets
and echoes of distant star songs

« r ; art » | @Moira

Messages In This Thread
a flame by another name - by Maeve - 07-19-2020, 12:01 AM
RE: a flame by another name - by Moira - 07-19-2020, 02:50 PM
RE: a flame by another name - by Maeve - 07-25-2020, 08:18 PM
RE: a flame by another name - by Moira - 07-29-2020, 12:34 AM
RE: a flame by another name - by Maeve - 08-05-2020, 08:07 PM
RE: a flame by another name - by Moira - 11-29-2020, 04:23 AM
RE: a flame by another name - by Maeve - 12-06-2020, 10:37 PM