Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - my fellow passerine;

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Jeanne [PM] Posts: 70 — Threads: 17
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

HERE IS THE HOUR THAT HAS FORGOTTEN THE MINUTE
though the minnow remembers the stream.

The static tingles against my skin. The world is all light, then all dark – violet-stained, and then white. I twist through dark clouds, half-wondering at my own bravery, half too enamored by the wild and dangerous beauty of the storm swirling around us to care about things like caution. I remember, innately, being a blade. I remember being a conductor, metal-bound. I remember my swing through the air, each arc of my blade, and it guides me as I cut through each ridge of cloud in his wake, following this strange, magical boy like the gold dust that trails from his wings. I feel the hot sear of lightning striking too close, and then the chill of the wind, the wet pelt of rain. It is too much to consider. I don’t. I just feel it, try to feel each passing moment, to imprint it in my memory – so, after my next death, it remains.

(It is futile to try to impress particulars. This much I know. Still. I think that my first storm should be significant, that it should matter enough to stay, but- but I don’t even recall any of my other names.)

I can’t catch him until he lets me. He is swift as a rabbit, even in the air, swift as a stag in the thicket; but he lets me, eventually, and I come to him. I am shivering – and I am not sure if it is from the cold, or the electricity, or the anticipation, the way that the wind calls to me in a language that I can almost, almost remember (the almost is agonizing) and tells me to dance, to return to the currents that once bore me.

This is the only dance I know, he says, bridging the gap between us; he reaches towards me, and, though I wonder at the motion, I don’t pull away.

Whatever I am expecting, it is not for his teeth to catch in my chestnut curls and tug on them. I blink at him, and then a smile – almost mischievous, almost provoked -  begins to curl its way across my lips. I always knew that long hair would be trouble; the other lives I’ve lead, the real knights, always had the good sense to keep it shorn. Show me, he says, then, and I make up my mind to do just that, even though he pulled my hair.

Two can play at that game.

I lean in close and snap my teeth right by his ear, grinning broadly. “I will,” I say – and then I dance away from him, coasting on undercurrents of breeze, writhing a bit like the wind. I tell myself, down to my bones, to remember what it feels like to be something else. I know I will never remember right, but I try regardless; I know this heavy, clumsy body will never be able to capture for an instant the grace of a falling leaf, or a bobbing firefly, or the wind, or any of the separate, wildly different ways that they are graceful, but I try. I try, and there is a moment when I think I have it, when I think – feel – like I am a part of the storm and the great, wide world around me, not just a creature inhabiting it.

I am still laughing, maybe. It’s hard to tell; the wind swallows up my voice as soon as it passes my lips. Still, as I twist in the air, newly unafraid of the way it pulls and buffets, newly unafraid of the thing that used to be me, my bird-of-prey wings shift and twist with an agility that I did not know I possessed. I dance for him. I dance with him, but only if he can catch me.

Oh, I dance with him – and then, when the storm is gone, so am I.

@Leonidas || thanks for the lovely thread (& Nic's first finished one, to boot!); can't wait for the next one! || "elegy," gregory orr

"Speech!" 

@

EVERYTHING IS RISK, SHE WHISPERED.
if you doubt, it becomes sand trickling through skeletal fingers.

please tag Nic! contact is encouraged, short of violence

Messages In This Thread
my fellow passerine; - by Nicnevin - 07-22-2020, 01:47 PM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Leonidas - 07-23-2020, 12:16 PM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Nicnevin - 07-23-2020, 04:41 PM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Leonidas - 07-26-2020, 12:17 PM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Nicnevin - 07-28-2020, 01:54 PM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Leonidas - 08-02-2020, 12:31 PM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Nicnevin - 08-03-2020, 11:08 AM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Leonidas - 08-14-2020, 12:10 PM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Nicnevin - 08-16-2020, 06:54 PM
RE: my fellow passerine; - by Leonidas - 08-17-2020, 12:00 PM