Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - they say you love the rain

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Jeanne [PM] Posts: 49 — Threads: 12
Signos: 5
Inactive Character

☼  RUTH OF HOUSE IESHAN  ☼
רות

"EVEN THOUGH THE OVERLOOKING SKY / so solemnly vermillion / sub-divides/the / seething stripes as soft / as sweet as the opening / of your mouth."

It is business that brings me to Terrastella again.

I am to meet with the Champion of Community, who was a doctor before her promotion; I think that she saw to my brother, once. (That doesn’t necessarily bolster my confidence in her, but my feelings on Adonai’s health are beside the point.) I leave early in the day with Ishak at my side, and I arrive at Terrastella before nightfall. We spend the night in a fancy inn, and Ishak, predictably, complains about it, though not nearly enough to make us leave. (I’m used to his complaining by now – and, besides, I know how he actually feels about sleeping on silken sheets.) The last time I was here, it was to hunt herbs. This time, it is for something more official.

I assume that they send me because I am an Ieshan and a doctor. I’ve never been much good at being the former, but I do have some sense of official duties, and I’m not entirely unaccustomed to meeting with particularly influential people. (You could argue that I brush shoulders with them daily, though I don’t know if I see my siblings so often anymore.) I am only influential in the medical sense, and I spend as little of my time socializing as possible, but I am here regardless.

(And I try not to think that it is too much of a bother, or of how many patients I could be seeing in the meantime; I tell myself that this will be useful, that it is always to our benefit to share knowledge with each other, to assist in keeping the peace. I’m not sure that I believe it. There are certainly better people to have chosen for the task.)

I have breakfast with Ishak, and I split off from him to find the Champion, though I know him well enough to know that he hasn’t really left my side; more likely than not, he’ll be within earshot for the entirety of our conversation. I know him too well to be bothered by it.

(He is the one person whose invasions of privacy I don’t mind.)

The Champion reminds me of a sunbeam, or maybe of Adonai. She is pale gold and blue-eyed in the bright way that he used to be, before he fell ill. She is probably lovely, from the heart-shaped mark on her forehead to her elegantly-crafted form, but I barely notice, even when she greets me with a smile that is twice as bright and warm as the early spring morning. You must be Ruth. I’m Elena. I already know that any of my gestures will pale in comparison to hers, that the effort is completely futile because I am wrong, but I force myself to press a polite, businesslike smile across my face regardless, because I know that I should. I know that it is the right thing to do here, the thing that I normal person would do, and, above all else, I need to be normal at times like these.

“I am. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” I say, and I suppose that it is pleasant enough. (At least it is an opportunity to escape the Ieshan manor for a while.) I’m not precisely sure what to say, or what to expect, but I’ll admit to having some (scientific) curiosity about Terrastella; hopefully this meeting will be productive, if nothing else.

(And – perhaps I can probe her about her thoughts on my brother’s condition, which is more interesting to me than anything the land of salt and sea might be able to offer.)

@Elena || <3 || june jordan, "the morning on the mountains"

HE FEEDS ME RED MEAT / HE WATCHES THE BLOOD POOL IN MY MOUTH
laughs at my red teeth

please tag Ruth! contact is encouraged, short of violence

Messages In This Thread
they say you love the rain - by Elena - 10-11-2020, 08:01 PM
RE: they say you love the rain - by Ruth - 10-18-2020, 11:10 PM
RE: they say you love the rain - by Elena - 11-05-2020, 08:41 PM