Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - set me free, my honeybee | festival

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Jeanne [PM] Posts: 70 — Threads: 17
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

SUCH A SADNESS: EVERYTHING TRYING TO / BREAK THROUGH INTO / BLOSSOM. / EVERY DAY SHOULD BE A MIRACLE INSTEAD / OF A MACHINATION.

The sun is setting, and the air smells like salt, but in a good way. In the best way.

I have been here since late autumn, but, I think, as I settle down into the crisp, bright green grass clinging precariously to the dark and jagged rocks of the cliff, that I still have not gotten used to waking up and seeing the sea. Most days I blink the sleep out of my eyes in the morning and I still expect to smell cinnamon and woodsmoke and drying herbs, not Elena’s flowers and the salt water. I hear the rhythm of wind and I expect the sound of it through branches, not crashing against the coast. Most days, when I step out onto the beach and look out across the sea, I still feel like it is my first time seeing it, really seeing it.

I ruffle my feathers, settling my wings in comfortably at my sides, and I swirl my drink in front of me, observing the way that the dying sunlight refracts through its pale center. I have picked a glass decorated with red petals, which match half of the blooms that compose the woven crown (half-wilted and crooked from a day of frolicking) on my forehead, but I’ve barely drunk any of it yet, because the evening has only just begun, and I don’t want to waste a single good thing. I am trying to savor every moment of the festival, which seems to me to be as much of a commemoration of spring as it is of my first spring.

I take a sip of my drink. It slides down my throat, honey-sweet and easy, and I close my eyes, taking a deep breath of sea salt and flowers. Almost immediately, I think better of it and snap them open again, because I do not want to miss a single moment of the sunset, which is painting the horizon lush violet, run through with ribbons of orange like the outer layers of a fire or the rich skin of a peach.

I don’t know what possesses me, exactly, to go looking for company. Maybe it is because I’ve had a few sips of my drink by then, which is enough to make, I’d think, any strange girl in a mostly-strange land long for a friendly face; maybe it is because the sunset is terribly lovely, and I’d like to share it; or maybe, and this is most likely, it is because we are at a festival, and no one should attend a festival alone. At any rate, when I catch sight of a man who is alone, his meld of orange and charcoal feathers in many ways vaguely reminiscent of my own, I trot up to him with a spring in my step, glass hovering a few feet away from my face. “Would you like,” I ask, smiling at him hopefully, “to watch the sunset with me?”

(I think that I’ve seen him in Terrastella, before – and this is as good a time as any, I think, to meet more of Dusk’s citizens.)

@Hugo || <3 || charles bukowski, "fingernails; nostrils; shoelaces"
Speech

@

EVERYTHING IS RISK, SHE WHISPERED.
if you doubt, it becomes sand trickling through skeletal fingers.

please tag Nic! contact is encouraged, short of violence

Messages In This Thread
set me free, my honeybee | festival - by Nicnevin - 10-28-2020, 02:57 PM