Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - talking of michelangelo.

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline rallidae [PM] Posts: 55 — Threads: 16
Signos: 160
Inactive Character

have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons, / i have measured out my life with coffee spoons; / i know the voices dying with a dying fall / beneath the music from a farther room.

N

ight falls like a sigh.

In the jewelbox streets of the sleeping market, silhouetted by a block of delicate pale light, I walk quietly amongst the revelers of the court. 

A few of them recognize me, and before they can sweep into startled bows I am already in one—your majesty! they call, to which, rising, I ask eagerly how they have found the Festival. Lovely, just lovely, they croon, nightingales each. Smiling, I excuse myself with the demurity of an accompanist.

Perhaps it is the deliberate slowness with which our nights fall that keeps me tethered, a furtive lover, to Solterra’s side. A sky so freckled with stars that we make not paintings but maps of them. A moon so virtuously pale that, were she a maiden, would hold a face to send kingdoms to war. 

There can never be a moon as lovely as ours. It must be a different moon from that of other courts—a brighter cousin to Denocte’s, a rose-cheeked sister to Terrastella’s. 

I have never been past the reaches of Day. Is it a crime, then, to think your land the fairest when you’ve never wondered what awaited you past that bright horizon? 

(Is it a crime, then, to love one thing so much, there is no room left for another?)

§

Velvet night, and the hum of water against a sandy shore. 

Blinking away the brightness of the moon I settle against the leafy base of a fig tree, before reaching towards the outline of a fig hanging off from a slender branch. It shivers off as if awaiting my touch, syrup oozing out from its green stem. Slowly, as if in a trance, I toss the fruit up, catching it when it comes down.

The priestess’s fruit trees are local legend, but I have brought none with me to see if they are true.

A cool wind sweeps across the sand, shaking down a rain of dark, gauzy leaves. I bring the fig to my mouth, before tipping my head back to stare hollowly up at the stars. Moonlight washes my throat in virtuous, lonely silver. 

I bite down to astonishing sweetness. 
| @Jane
so excited to thread <3

BRIGHT SPLASH OF BLOOD ON THE FLOOR. ASTONISHING RED.
(All that brightness inside me?)

♦︎♔♦︎

Messages In This Thread
talking of michelangelo. - by Adonai - 01-30-2021, 04:15 AM
RE: talking of michelangelo. - by Jane - 01-30-2021, 04:49 PM