Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - let the sky fall

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Erthë

My thoughts are the cold kind, I've got stormclouds brewing behind my eyes

There was no warning. There never is when these things happen. Between one moment and the next the universe upended and turned on its head, breaking every fragile illusion of how it is meant to work. The bright sun darkened for an instant as a flash of black and blue like inverted lightning streaked across the clear sky. A stench of stagnant water, mildew and decay suffused the air, and in the trembling instance between two heartbeats the heavens split open and deposited a torrent of water upon the desert sand. It was as though the bottom of a river had been removed and half its content dumped through space and time, like a friendly force eager to help the citizens of the desert in their efforts to improve their situation. Before the lid of an eye had closed and opened again, the hopeful beginnings of a garden had been watered with more precipitation than it would have seen in ten years time, displacing seeds and young plants and scattering the precious soil so many had struggled to bring from afar.

Well meaning it might be, but it was hard to say whether the water did more good than damage.

Especially as water was not the only thing that came falling from the sky.

Centered within the water, enveloped by it as though it was encasing them, a pale shadow tumbled to the earth. A rag doll without thought or coordination, a horse both slight and slender, smacked hard into the sodden ground, bounced once and then lay limp, unmoving under the glaring sunlight. Water glittered on the porcelain hide, every shade of pink and blue exaggerated in the unforgiving heat, pooled around rumpled feathers and soaked quickly into the thirsty ground. For an instant, it looked as though the figure might be steaming, like ice left out to melt on a spring day... But then the vision faded, and a shocking stillness settled over the scene.

The little mare stirred. A soft groan cut through the stillness, followed by a raspy, painful breath as air was permitted back into her lungs... then her eyes opened, to stare uncomprehendingly up into the desert sun.

and my heart will be blacker than your eyes when I'm through with you
Image Credits

Messages In This Thread
let the sky fall - by Erthë - 09-13-2017, 04:58 PM
RE: let the sky fall - by Seraphina - 09-16-2017, 11:46 AM
RE: let the sky fall - by Maxence - 09-20-2017, 09:21 PM