Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Where the river changes course

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 301 — Threads: 41
Signos: 15
Inactive Character

- - - - -
I DO NOT BELIEVE THINGS ARE REBORN IN FIRE
I BELIEVE THEY'RE CONSUMED BY FIRE
- - - - -

As expected, a look of surprise draws across his face as he learns of his companion's promotion- that day he met Asterion at the beach, he hadn't thought to wonder if he was talking to a man of importance. He peers at his friend curiously, again looking for any change in demeanor- but that sense of humility is still there, that calm, steady feeling that had grounded Eik once and does again now. Regent or no, Asterion is Asterion.

And the thing is, Eik is not really sure what all of the ranked members do, or why everyone is always in a tizzy to be promoted. It all seems like pomp and circumstance to him, but only because he hasn't had the time to learn about all of their responsibilities.

"Congratulations?" It is half statement, half question, and a half smile curls at his lips. "I'm sure you will learn everything you need to, in time. Your queen must trust you greatly." A slight pause, as he considers the question that comes next. "What is she like? I've heard many whispers, but I try not to listen." He isn't the sort to gossip. Interestingly, that will soon be part of his job, but we don't know that yet. But magic has always intrigued him, and he's heard tales of a knife that cuts holes in the very fabric that makes up the world. For someone who constantly questions his reality, this tale is captivating.

"Follow me, and tell me how you've been."

Eik does as he is told, happy to let the bay lead the way through the foreign court. There is an odd pleasure in seeing how comfortable Asterion is here, and Eik enjoys it for a moment before turning his thoughts inward- how has he been?

The thing is, he doesn't think of being in terms of feeling so much as doing. This took a great amount of effort, once, but comes as freely to him now as breathing.

"I watched the trees change color in Delumine and looked across Denocte from the Arma Mountains. And in Solterra I outran a sandstorm, a wall of sand as tall and broad as I could see." These new sights and experiences are more precious than even he realizes- each one solidifies him here, in Novus. He feels less and less a ghost here, more and more a man. And with that comes loneliness, but he hasn't recognized that yet. He is so used to turning away from his emotions that he does not realize they are different, now. They are much more diverse and much more complicated than mere sadness, the dull, endless sadness that has perched on his shoulders for years and years.

"I am starting to feel like this world is my home." Eik did not anticipate this swell of emotion, and it makes him feel vulnerable and uncomfortable. He closes his eyes and thinks of his family, and the vast wilderness that raised him. It feels as though he must shut one door in order to continue through another, and the weight of that choice is paralyzing. He opens his eyes but is still unseeing, a single thought running away with his attention.

"It feels like a betrayal to my homeland."

In the heavy quiet that follows he smiles sheepishly-- it was not his intent to turn the conversation sour. But it does feel good to say that thing that has been so heavy on his chest.

"And of course I have seen some of Terrastella too now." Having seen a bit of each corner of Novus, he finally feels ready to return to Solterra. Oh, his legs will always want to wander, but he thinks he could control them for some time.

-  -  -
AND THE FIRE HAS A LIFE OF ITS OWN
-  -  -

@Asterion <3<3 lol nooooo never!!

Time makes fools of us all

Messages In This Thread
Where the river changes course - by Eik - 02-22-2018, 04:22 PM
RE: Where the river changes course - by Asterion - 02-26-2018, 10:53 AM
RE: Where the river changes course - by Eik - 03-05-2018, 01:12 AM
RE: Where the river changes course - by Asterion - 03-07-2018, 09:41 AM
RE: Where the river changes course - by Eik - 03-26-2018, 04:30 PM
RE: Where the river changes course - by Asterion - 04-04-2018, 12:49 PM