Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - devour the day

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Felwood

- you looked at death in a tarot card -
The first light of daybreak kissed the rolling fields that she traversed with purposeful, yet delicate steps. Her head was hung low, neck leveled with her nimble shoulders as she sauntered through the dew dappled grass. Felwood stopped in her tracks at the sight of a small band of deer up ahead, her ears swiveling left and right to keep an assessment on her surroundings while she observed from afar. They shared eye contact for a quiet moment, almost setting an understanding of the space between them. They continued to graze and so Felwood followed. She took in mouthfuls of the sweet, plush grass, but no more than that. A weathered satchel hung around her shoulders, craning her neck over so the mare could shovel her nose into the bag. There was naught but a handful of berries she picked before she found these fields; the perfect finishing touch on a refreshing breakfast.
- and you saw what you had to do -

Asterion

She is not alone in watching the deer.

Asterion has always been conscious of the other creatures that share their world, and these are no exception. The bay admires their fine bones, their dark eyes large and soft, the grace in each step. He is glad to see them, colored rosy in the dawn, pleased to see how healthy they are after a long summer and the first mild weeks of fall.

(His appreciation for the other animals of Novus was only heightened, recently, with the arrival of his bonded. The seagull drifts far above him now, idling on the updrafts, a bright speck in the morning sky).

It is a different pale figure that catches his gaze then, and the Regent forgets the deer in favor of the stranger. She is as graceful as they, but makes him far more curious.

The deer watch him warily as he crosses to her, though they do not run; it seems the whole of Novus knows how unthreatening the bay stallion is. They only flash their white tails at him and go back to browsing and grazing, while he stops a few lengths from the stranger.

“Hello,” he greets her softly, then angles his muzzle toward her satchel and the sweet-dark scent of berries. “Did you find those near here? It’s been a while since I went foraging, but this is the best time for it.”

@Felwood hello! Hope you don’t mind an asterion ☺

if you'll be my star*

Felwood

Her ears pricked forwards at the addition of a voice in the silence of the coming dayglow. Eyes akin to the very sun itself found the form of an approaching stallion, introducing himself with a kindess that kept her from immediately erring on the side of caution. Her face was apologetic as Felwood quickly finished chewing her mouthful of delightfully tart berries, clearing her throat once her mouth was free of food. "Oh, yes," she confessed. "Not too far back that way before I came upon these fields," Felwood finished with a toss of her head in the direction of whence she came.

To be completely truthful, she had no idea this was prime berry season, but it explained the plethera of bushes she passed. The mare couldn't bring herself to take too many, knowing that the surrounding wildlife would need such vital sources of forage before the winter hit. After making a note to so more research on the local flora, the girl shifted her weight to a single back hoof. "Did you want some?" she offered him. 
@Asterion

Asterion

He is unprepared for the brightness of her eyes when they settle on him. They are molten gold and piercing where his are the darkness between stars, and he is almost glad for an excuse to look away as he waits for her to finish chewing.

That’s good to know,” he answers with a smile, and follows the tilt of her muzzle with his gaze. I may have to spread the word when I return to the citadel.” Florentine, surely, would want to go berry-picking; the thought of her bright gold among the brambles is enough to summon his smile.

At her offer the bay’s gaze shifts back to her, the smile lingering. Mentally he tries to place her among all the new faces of Dusk, but he comes up empty. And surely he would remember such a girl, with her skin like smoke and her sun-bright eyes.

No thank you, though I appreciate the offer.” He can imagine his companion’s response to turning down food – the seagull would clack her beak at him, and accept the offer on his behalf. But for the moment, she still soared far above, welcoming the dawn.

“Are you passing through Terrastella? I’ve been busy of late, but I at least try to recognize our citizens.” The Regent’s smile turns apologetic, and he wonders whether he should be questing so much for information –

but these were strange times in Novus, with the gods stirring to life, and it was best to be both cautious and kind.

@Felwood

if you'll be my star*

Felwood

For the first time in their meeting, Felwood had a crooked little smile curl upon her muzzle. As her offer was politely declined, she flipped the cover flap of her weathered bag and closed off access to the rest of the berries within the pouch. The stallion was cedar and earth, touched by gentle ribbons of starlight. Simple at first glance, but intricate upon inspection. She didn't stare too hard, however, since his question of her wanderings brought her back. Her delicately narrow face bobbed with her nod to him. 

"No need to worry about not recognizing me," she replied softly, "I'm entirely new to the area." The mare explained, while one of her ears shifted to the left at the sound of the deer they had been sharing the field with moved on. She turned her head to watch them, their tiny hooves barely creating more than subtle thuds beneath them.

There was a brief period of time where she lost herself in the moment until their white tails were nothing more than fading dots that eventually disappeared into the distance. And just like they faded from view, so did her focus on the moment, returning marigold eyes to the other. "I'm Felwood, by the way."
@Asterion

Asterion

He is reassured by the smile that turns up the dark corners of her mouth; he is even more so when she admits her newness. Months ago, before Florentine appointed him to Regent, the bay had often greeted recent arrivals to Dusk Court. Now his time is often too occupied by meetings and tasks, but he misses his old freedom. He always liked to watch strangers see Terrastella for the first time – and he thinks the countryside shows itself particularly well in autumn.

It is strange to feel something like pride for a place, as if he’d had any hand in its making – but then, after so long spent wandering, home is still a feeling that manages to surprise him.

“Even better,” he says, “as that means I get to welcome you.” His smile is still a soft thing, like a cloud-shadow passing over the grass, and it grows softer yet when he follows her golden gaze back to the deer. For a quiet moment there is nothing but the whisper of their hooves on the grass as they fade into the last of the morning mist.

But at the sound of her name his attention returns and he dips his head in greeting, a dark-rimmed ear twisting toward her. “Well met, Felwood. I am Asterion. Does anything particular bring you to Dusk?” His smile turns teasing. “Other than the superiority of our berries, of course.”

@Felwood :)

if you'll be my star*

Felwood

"A pleasure, Asterion." She thought the name fitting for the stallion as she knew him thus far. The answer to his question came with ease, as it was the only reason for her to be here. The delicate girl drew in a soft breath, "A fresh start," she uttered, "I left my home in search of it. A new adventure." She stepped forward a foot or so, looking on into the distance and back at Asterion. With such a welcome, it left her with a comfort that she was making the right decision, that what she did wasn't running away or abandoning the only family she had left.

Although he supported her choices whole-heartedly, there was still a pit in her stomach. New things were always unsettling until one gets used to them. "Though, I would be lying if I said I wasn't swayed by the berry picking." With a playful wink and a charmingly crooked smile, she meandered forward with minute steps. "Walk with me?" The morning was growing into a beautiful palette of warm and cool colours as the sun made more of an appearance to beckon the day. The air was still cool on her skin, a caressing breeze fingering through her mane. 
@Asterion

Asterion

A fresh start…a new adventure.

Asterion falls to stillness beneath the words, for oh, he knows them well. The same reasons had drawn him from his home along the sea-shore years ago with stars in his eyes and dreams in his head. Adventure, that siren-call that pulled so many – the bay hopes she has better luck than he.

He has not yet had his fill of adventures, but there have been just as many little heartaches along the way.

“You’re sure to find one here,” he says after a pause, watching as she steps forward. His smile deepens at her wink, and with a nod he moves beside her, the dew a cool kiss against his dark legs.

He is about to say something more as they pass below the kaleidoscope sky, but Asterion is interrupted by a swoop of white, a rustle of feathers.

With a rough call the big gull circles the pair once before settling on the stallion’s rump, flapping her wide wings then tucking them tight. She cocks a dark eye on his new companion and Asterion flicks his tail at the bird, pausing for her webbed feet to find their balance before continuing on.

His glance at the gray mare then is a careful, weighing thing; he is still new to having a companion, the strange bond they share, and always wonders what others must think of it. Knowing his thoughts, the gull tugs at a strand of silver in his tail, a loving reprimand. “Felwood, this is Cirrus. She’s a new friend of mine. I’m glad you have a satchel to protect your breakfast – her manners are not what mine are,” he says, and laughs as the bird gives an indignant flap of wings. You wound me, the bird thinks, but Asterion only grins over his shoulder at her in return.

When his gaze returns to Felwood, it is a quieter thing, but still curious. “What kind of adventures do you seek?”

@Felwood so much for closing xD might wrap up on the next round. she's lovely!

if you'll be my star*

Felwood

"I'm happy to hear that," she replied, "I look forward to the new discoveries." They walked together with gentle steps, a comfortable silence falling over the two of them until a bird call drew her head upwards. A gull. A curious tilt of her head brought her eyes to shift from the bird above to her company as it swooped to land on his rump. Even curiouser until he introduced her to his avian friend. Her heart swelled with joy at such a unique bond and her face lit up immediately as the gull preened his tail. "Cirrus, it's very nice to meet you!" Felwood said with a pleasant tone. 

She was absolutely fascinated that Asterion had such a unique little friend and wondered if such a possibility could be in her future. A silvery chuckle filled the air when she learned of Cirrus' manners, "Oh dear, I wouldn't mind sharing if she wanted any." In-fact, she would be more than happy to if she wanted some.

When Asterion asked about the type of adventures she sought, there was a moments pause between them, nothing more than the brushing sounds and soft thuds of their walking. Her legs were cooled with the collection of dew upon her legs, but she enjoyed the feeling. Taking in a breath she shrugged delicate shoulders and looked between Asterion and the horizon. "What's the fun in adventure if you already know what kind you want?" Golden eyes met his with a cheeky grin.   
@Asterion

Asterion

At the moon-colored mare’s greeting to the gull – perhaps the most earnest of any to come across her yet – Asterion couldn’t help but grin, and he angles nearer to Felwood so that the bird can stretch out a wide wing, her dark feather-tips brushing the mare’s shoulder soft as a whisper.

Her words, though, make the bay stallion laugh. “A kindness you may regret in time,” he says, though there is no malice in his words. The first few days had been strange ones, but now he and the Pallas’ gull were as close as a cloud and its shadow.

The Regent relaxes into the brief silence, content as she considers to simply take in the morning. Here at the cusp of fall the leaves were just beginning to turn, the air was starting to promise something cooler. It is startling to think he has now been here for more than a year.

A dark ear flicks toward her when she speaks again, and Asterion’s gaze follows, his own expression faded into a softer kind of smile. “Wisely spoken,” he tells her. “I think you would enjoy meeting my sister, Florentine – she shares your philosophy. If we’re lucky and you’re willing, she may still be at court.”

He is content to walk beside her, wherever her feet draw her – but he would be just as glad to lead her to the city, with its towers rising smoothly up into the dawn.  

@Felwood gonna wrap it here for him - it was a pleasure to write with you, and I look forward to seeing her around (and threading again soon :) )

if you'll be my star*

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »