Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - unfinished business

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Cannon [PM] Posts: 95 — Threads: 20
Signos: 5
Inactive Character

"I think we deserve
a soft epilogue, my love.
we are good people
and we've suffered enough."

It happens a lot.
Michael, ancient Michael, somber Michael, and his smile like winter mornings with the sun and the snow - bleak but bright, and as brittle as it is true. And her, or them, or anyone, standing at opposition with their tongues between their teeth and suddenly he is too bright, or too sad, or too honest.

He is a thing of many honesties and very few of them are worth being honest about. He is a thing that is truthful to a fault except with the questions he is asking himself. And when she says to him, try me, Michael does not hide the way he trips over his next step.

The woods are quiet, and her wolf is nowhere to be seen. Later Michael might wonder what he's doing, here in the trees with Morrighan and the distant scent of a wolf he knows he can't find. Michael keeps telling himself this is enough, this has to be enough, but he drags her smoke in and it feels like ghosts and a bad memory he can't quite yank to the surface.

"Maybe some other time," he laughs, in that nervous way that he has. "assuming we find your wolf before you set me on fire." And Michael keeps walking, the thick white snake of his hair skimming her singed hoofprints.

- - - 

It's been an hour, maybe, when Michael drops his head and exhales through his nose.

(Michael doesn't speak while he's searching, winding through trees until there are no trees left, and when they break through the far edge of the woods the sun is casting long afternoon shadows and red-orange light. There was no wolf, not that he saw, and Michael is tired and frustrated and he'd want to go home if he knew what home was, anymore.)

"Well," he says, leaning against the closest tree, "I think you're in luck. Your wolf is gone."

Michael fixes her with some somber, aching smile. When he turns to go, it is still there. "This has been fun; come find me soon." He says over his shoulder, "Remind me I owe you a story."

Michael walks. He has always been so good at walking away.

@morrighan

Messages In This Thread
unfinished business - by Morrighan - 09-22-2019, 10:27 PM
RE: unfinished business - by Michael - 10-03-2019, 10:03 PM
RE: unfinished business - by Morrighan - 10-06-2019, 06:25 PM
RE: unfinished business - by Michael - 10-09-2019, 12:27 AM
RE: unfinished business - by Morrighan - 10-15-2019, 09:24 PM
RE: unfinished business - by Michael - 10-20-2019, 11:24 PM
RE: unfinished business - by Morrighan - 10-24-2019, 10:33 PM
RE: unfinished business - by Michael - 11-04-2019, 01:41 AM
RE: unfinished business - by Morrighan - 11-08-2019, 06:54 PM