Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - [fall] pestilence and penance

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Kat [PM] Posts: 146 — Threads: 25
Signos: 77
Vagabond Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 28 — Atk: 32 — Exp: 53  |    Active Magic: Energy Transference  |    Bonded: Fylax (Gryphon)

pointing at the sky, we yell and swell
against the rising of the sun

The maze seems like the biggest undertaking of the festival. It is bigger than bonfires and more time consuming than setting tables with altars and candles, more busy work than hanging decorations up and down the streets of Denocte. But as Antiope stands before it under the light of a thin, sickle moon, it looks much better than she could have imagined.

She had never heard of a corn maze before arriving to Novus, but in the true spirit of coming to terms with the new life she has chosen, the one that has fallen upon her shoulders, the tigress woman is determined to try these new things.

Antiope has, perhaps quite smartly, left her axe at home for the night. She does not want to accidentally hurt someone for trying to sneak up on her in good fun. While not easily startled, it is difficult for her to lose the warrior instinct in her of taking down someone who is approaching you, silently, from behind.

It is late, and there are a few patrons out enjoying the darkness and atmosphere as they pass around her. A few enter the maze. A few, presumably, exit as well, but she cannot tell that from here. With one last glance about, Antiope enters the maze. Outside there was a chill breeze biting at her skin but within it does little more than dance across the tops of the corn stalks. It makes a strange, half rustling, half whistling sound.

The Regent makes decent work of its various dead ends and even manages to catch onto a few of the assigned scarers before they can reach her. She passes beneath each flickering lamp and through stretches of darkness, and, by the time she reaches the center of the maze, Antiope realizes she’s enjoying herself.

For perhaps the first time since arriving, she doesn’t feel the incessant pull of her magic, the prowling of the lioness in her bones, waiting and wanting to drain the world of its life. She doesn’t feel like something other than these equines, like something in her is missing, or too big. Antiope, for the first time since her life changed, isn’t even thinking about everything that she has lost.

When something hard and leathery presses against her shoulder, she pauses and turns toward the strange, bird-like mask. Her sapphire blue eyes are sparkling even in the lamplight, and she doesn’t quite realize it but there is a smile tipping up the corners of her lips. “I suppose I ask her to wait, because there are much better things to do tonight than whatever she might have planned for me.”

Antiope tilts her head slightly, and then when she smiles a little wider it is intentional. “And I ask her to take her mask off and join me?” The Regent thinks she recognizes that voice, and the rest of the body attached to the head that was hidden beneath that terrible mask.
credits | @Aghavni <3

[Image: 13716916_Rc8f5hGvZkB3cYP.png]
a war is calling
the tides are turned

Messages In This Thread
[fall] pestilence and penance - by Aghavni - 10-03-2019, 07:21 PM
RE: [fall] pestilence and penance - by Antiope - 10-03-2019, 08:09 PM
RE: [fall] pestilence and penance - by Aghavni - 10-26-2019, 09:52 AM
RE: [fall] pestilence and penance - by Antiope - 11-16-2019, 12:19 PM
RE: [fall] pestilence and penance - by Aghavni - 01-03-2020, 09:49 AM
RE: [fall] pestilence and penance - by Antiope - 01-18-2020, 04:27 PM