Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - The Sky Ocean is Flooding!

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 214 — Threads: 26
Signos: 260
Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

Below Zero

my frost philosophy will put no curse on me

It was a curiosity that had brought her to the mountains, a curiosity of being somewhere she'd not been before. Well, not above the water, that is. She'd experienced her fair share of seamounts and mid-ocean ridges . . . but this wasn't in the water, this was on land . . . and this one looked huge! Her gaze was almost gleeful with excitement, as had become her norm when experiencing a 'land-er' thing for the first time. But the others had cautioned with a look to the sky. 'Dark Clouds' they had warned 'Rainstorm' they had said. Words with meaningless titles to the mare who spent majority of her life until recently deep in the polar arctic. She did finally learn that when the clouds leaked water out of the sky ocean, it was called rain or rainfall. But no one could explain to her why the sky ocean was leaking in the first place (and fewer could even actually comment about the sky ocean, most rolled their eyes and walked away).

But for a creature that had come from the depths of the ocean, a lot of the things many horses just 'understood' she simply did not. She had no frame of reference for why the sky may suddenly leak, or how the water got trapped up there to begin with. She didn't see fish swimming through the oceans of the sky, so she was thinking it had to be a sea with little life to it, perhaps a Dead Sea? Had the gods seen how horrible of a sea it was and raised it out of reach from the creatures of the water? She shook the train of thought from her mind as she continued to climb the incline she was at, following along a narrow ledge to get to a fairly beautiful meadow she saw ahead (and two curves back). Her steps were sure, better than they were on grassy terrain - or heaven forbid thick, long grassy meadows. Rocks were a strong suit, rocks and sand, where she could balance herself better, figure out how much pressure to step with and not have to worry about stepping to hard to compensate the buoyancy of water that wasn't present on land. So far, beyond being cautious of her step, the climb wasn't too difficult - and she didn't plan to climb to high either.

A sudden sound, a mere seconds of a loud clap came out of nowhere, originated from the heavens and Bel froze, eyes wide with a start at the unfamiliar sound. Had something come off of the mountain - a rock slide impending perhaps? She'd heard horrible cracks and clashes like that when a side of an iceberg suddenly gave in and fell to the waters below. Her gaze searched the upper levels of the mountain, looking for anything out of place. Nothing. Her steps hurried a touch faster, her second, smaller set of eyes now focused primarily on the rock wall at her side as she climbed faster to the meadow she was looking for. A drop touched her shoulder, followed by a second on her hip and a third on her faintly scaled nose. Her gaze turned upwards . . . the sky was leaking again.

It was then that she really noticed how dark the clouds had gotten, and her brows knitted together with concern. Why was the sky so dark? It wasn't nighttime yet - almost a full day was ahead of her still, she made sure of that when she started up the mountain fairly early. It'd only been a short time, nowhere near the time for the sky to darken and the world to quieten. Plus, she was glowing, and if night was approaching, her glow would have started up. It simply was the wrong time for a darkening sky. She picked her pace up a bit more as the sky started to leak at a more constant rate, first a few drops every few minutes, to a more frequent rate of a dozen every few seconds. The water wasn't about to bother her, however - why should it, she swam in a lot more than this all the time.

But it was beginning to puddle under her hooves, the first time she slipped: it was only the quick maneuvering of her tail to righten her balance that kept her from sliding down the side of the mountain. Her steps became more hurried as more and more cracks in the rocks began to fill with the water the sky was leaking out . . . why was the sky flooding over? Had the tide come in? Does it only come in once a year in the heavens? Now the ocean was threatening to spill down to the world below? Her thoughts slowed as her hooves touched grass, before she spurred herself away from the edge of the mountain and into the meadow she had been looking for, no longer fearing falling down the cliff.

Another loud crack, this one echoing out longer; erupted from the heavens, and at her first thought, terrifying orange and red splotched tentacles were superimposed over the image of the meadow, lifting up into the air, suckers pointed towards her. Then the image was gone, replaced by the clear, but water logged meadow. No, surely the sky didn't have a Kraken. It had to be something else making that noise! Maybe the sky had giant icebergs that were being sheered off! Yes - and when the icebergs fall, it lifts the water level, causing the tide to pool up more than normal and thus the sky ocean was flooding and leaking over onto the world below! She'd solved it.

Light flashed above her, and her world changed again. Her gaze was once more drawn to the heavens (unaware that her breath had hitched and picked up, the first sign of fear setting in). There, again - the light zigzagged in a familiar pattern through the clouds. What were shock-eels doing up in the clouds? Why where they up there? WHERE THEY OKAY? They looked upset, swimming all around and zapping repeatedly But why are there eels up there to begin with! There must be entire school of them! Oh how do I help them - help to get them down?! What do I do? Even her thoughts were fast paced, matching the quick breathing as her heart started to beat a little faster in her chest. She reared then, her tail swinging out and around to balance her as she stretched towards the sky, trying to see the shock-eels a little better, Do they live up there? Are they supposed to be up there? WHY ARE THEY UP THERE?

As she tried to peer through the thick, angry clouds, another loud clap was heard, this one long and rumbling, growing louder and then quieter before turning deafening with it's vocal range. Vocal . . . Range . . . IT WAS A MONSTER! In the sky! There was an angry monster, and it had kidnapped the the shock-eels and holding them captive and was making the sky-ocean leak all of that water! The rain was beginning to fall faster, heavier. The water was cold as it started to drench her, slicking the thin pelt and attempting to penetrate the layer of blubber that kept her core from dropping in temperature when in the coldest parts of the ocean. She stood, staring at the sky, a second set of eyelids already closing over her eyes to keep water from stinging them, but still allowing her to see through them.

Her breath was coming out in panicky little shakes as she moved to get herself out of the increasingly heavy rain, dipping beneath a tree and sighing a breath of relief as the weather continued to worsen. Another crack - the monster was making more noise; followed by the eels' light had her watching the sky fearfully. Was the monster hurting the eels? Where the two fighting now and that was why all this was happening? Her body was starting to quiver - and not from the cold, fear taking a more rooted spot on her brain as another loud cracking, rumbling monster sound had her huddling against the tree. It continued like this, her finned ears soon lowering and pinning flat, her dorsal laying close to her body as she tried to make herself small against the tree.

Another flash of the eels' lit up the sky brighter than before, and she jumped as the shock hit a nearby tree and suddenly it had lit up in dancing flames like the Bonfires in the city. Her eyes went wider. When did eels start fires? Maybe it was a giant monster fighting eel monsters and they were all so angry that not only was the monster making the sky-ocean flood, but now the eels were shocking so desperately the shocks were catching things on fire! What if they tried to catch her on fire! She dove for cover even further away from the flaming tree, hiding beneath another one even as the rain was beating the flames into submission. Her eyes - both sets squeezed shut as her body hit the ground and she curled into a small ball tucked under the low limbs of the tree.

Above her the angry monster and the captive eel monsters waged war, growling and snarling at each other, and shooting shocks all over the sky. The sky ocean was in a disarray, falling and quickly causing lower divets in the meadow to fill with water, and even the aquatic mare's form was sitting in an inch or two of water. But she didn't notice, she didn't move - to lost in the fear the war had created with in her, and praying that the monsters above didn't take it out any more on the world below - especially on her. Please, she thought, prayed; softly to herself, her body quaking and quivering, Let those monsters stop fighting . . . . Don't let the sky ocean flood this world. For surely, if they didn't stop - the world was going to Flood and end.

Thoughts
Speech

Open to Anyone

Notes: I cannot say in words how long I've wanted to do this to her! #NoI'mNotEvil,It'sCharacterDevelopment!

i feel no cold, i feel no fear inside my mind

Now I'm full of energy

[Image: i-jTNwWx8.png]

Played by Offline Teal [PM] Posts: 22 — Threads: 5
Signos: 460
Inactive Character

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
Everything you want's a dream away

The footer of the mountain had already proved a challenge, but determination and a strong sense of curiosity and adventure had driven the stallion so far up. The grounding was treacherous; rocky and uneven, pebbles spilling down the steep incline with each stride. Luckily, he was a build bred for tacking tricky obstacles and enduring tough terrain. His thick but nimble body had carried him through the weaving paths with strength, allowing him to ascend the bottom quarter of the mountains which he was intent on exploring and eventually toppling.

But above rainclouds threatened to release fury upon the range, gathering with growling rumbles suggesting that at any split moment the downpour would come. He gazed upwards, longing to continue but, though full of adventure and spirit, he was not an idiot and wasn’t about to risk a fatal fall just because he was too stubborn to turn back and try again when the weather promised more suitable conditions.

Sighing, he carefully turned and headed back down the narrow path. Descending was a bit trickier, and then the heavens opened and the stallion was brutally washed down, slipping and sliding and being forced to continue with more speed then he’d have liked. Stones were hailed everywhere, mud splattering all up his legs and over his chest plus belly, darkening his previous pristine pelt and soon he slipped down the last crumbling slide, cantering off with a kick and a snort before abruptly halting, a heavy shake of his already soaked mane, clinging to his muscles neck with an uncomfortable slickness. Now, to finder shelter. He began to walk, head held low to try and protect his vision whilst lighting streaked across the sky. He hurried his pace, not wanting to be caught out much longer and through the darkening mist of the rain hitting the ground, he spotted a cluster of trees which, as long as they stayed standing, should provide some sort of shelter.                 

It wasn’t until he was close he spotted a blue tanned ball curled, shaking, by the stumps. He strained his eyes and picked up a trot, the ground covering him in yet more dirt and substance and then he realised the ball was alive.

“Hello?” He called, voice raised over the crack of thunder. He could safely assume the creature too, had gotten caught unawares by the storm, and had sought shelter. But something felt off. As the leaves above covered him, the sound of the rain dimmed slightly but did not cease. He halted, a meter away from the tightly knit creature, horned and tailed with something similar to that of a whale. He stretched his neck gingerly down, nuzzle reaching out, finding the courage to do so to the potentially wounded other. “Are you okay?” His soft muzzle gently brushed again the creature’s side, tenderly trying to stir her.

ooc: I could not help myself
tags: @Dyzzie

Under this pressure, under this weight
We are diamonds taking shape

Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

Below Zero

my frost philosophy will put no curse on me

Bel's head snapped up, silver horns glinting through the rain as she heard the sound of stones hailing down, what surely sounded like a loud avalanche of snow - though there was no snow - perhaps of rocks of the mountain? WHERE THE MONSTERS IN THE SKY STARTING TO DESTROY THE WORLD?! Oh, she couldn't watch, she didn't want to watch, and her head was quickly buried beneath one lean limb as she tried not to imagine everything being destroyed, and flooded. Not once did the thought of the flood being water, and she being an aquatic creature cross her mind. In a flood she'd easily swim through it; but instead her fear haze had conveniently forgotten that fact. She instead huddled closer to the brush and tree she'd found to shelter her from the worst of the rain.

She never heard the trot over the sound of the storm whirling around them, though could one blame her when she felt fear as she did? A new kind of weather phenomenon that she had never experienced before. Hello? The voice was pitched over the angry sound of the monsters fighting in the sky, and she hesitated, wondering if someone really was around. And then a muzzle touched her side and she startled, both at the touch and the much closer male, Are you okay? Her head snapped up, the folded fin against her back flaring up as her two set of eyes stared at him first in shock and then in nervousness. Where had he come from, why was he here? WHY WAS HE ASKING IF SHE WAS OKAY? Hadn't he heard the monsters in the sky ocean fighting? Another angry growl ripped through the air and she flinched closer to the tree she was hiding by, even as she watched him cautiously.

What was she supposed to say though? "I am . . . uninjured." The words were stiff, almost formal as the eel electricity jumped through the clouds, "But . . . the monsters in the sky . . . seem determined to drown us with the Sky Ocean." Different culture, different understandings, and for her first thunderstorm with no frame of reference for what thunder and lightning was - it wasn't too shocking she'd amounted them to monsters of the heavens. She didn't say anything else, her head dipping with uncertainty as her gaze (both sets of eyes) turned to the sky once more, her fin fidgiting before flattening once more, her expression frightened. She wan't one for Thunderstorms.

Thoughts
Speech

@Atlaas

Notes: Thanks for the reply <3 <3

i feel no cold, i feel no fear inside my mind

Now I'm full of energy

Inactive Character

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
Everything you want's a dream away

I sheltered under the branches of the trees, my head now raised as the finned creature flinched and jumped at every split and roar in the sky. Fear was a bully that even the strongest of us were subjected to. It snared you in a cold sweat and rattled your bones, always accompanied by paranoia and a dreadful anticipation of doom.

“Uninjured is good,” I began, looking down to the sorry state she was in with a kind but concerned eye. What she had said didn’t quite make sense and I cocked my head to the side. “Monsters in the sky?” My eyes glanced up as a crack of lightning shot across the sky and in the distance the sound of a tree shattering echos across the thundering hammer of the rain. I wonder what a storm might look like to those deprived of their infamous glory and after a few moments of not understanding, it clicked and I softly chuckle.

“You mean, the lightning?” The canopy of the trees stretched above me and I tried to and comfort the mare by taking place beside her, lying against another stump which hopefully was not close enough to make her uncomfortable. I shook my soaked forelock from out of my eyes and with a gesture of my muzzle I pointed to the distressed clouds, thunder rumbling in our ears but above it I called loud enough to ensure she’d still hear me. “We are caught in the anger of a ‘Storm’. Rain falls tremendously from the sky, and thunder, that’s the growling you can hear, accompanies lightning, which is the the flashes across the sky,” I explained simply in soft tones. “But, the monsters in the sky is a much more fun way to put it,”

“I expect this to last a while,” I sighed, my great adventure ruined. I unfastened the satchels that wrapped around my forelimbs and placed them down beside me. “Do you come from the ocean?” I forwardly ask, attempting to make conversation to distract her from the monsters in the sky but also overwhelmed with curiosity by her tail and strange views on storms. “I come far, far from here but, it is a beautiful place if you’ve ever had the chance to explore,”

ooc: No problemo, sorry for late replies <3

Under this pressure, under this weight
We are diamonds taking shape

Dusk Court Battlemage

B e l o w Z e r o
'Til there's nothing left standing, nothing left of yesterday
Every tear-soaked whiskey memory blown away,
The rain was terrifying to the young aquatic mare, a sort of unbelievable natural event that she'd never experience before. Face with the events of an unfamiliar but natural phenomenon many may take for granted had been enough to scare the young mare into a bundle of fried nervous and uncertain reactions. The other spoke, and her cyan eyes turned towards him, glowing dimmly in the gloom of a storm-darkened sky. He repeated her words, his voice that of confusion and she pondered if she had the situation wrong. Another crack of lightning was enough to dim those more rational thoughts. Still he gave names to the creatures in the sky. Lightning. His words continued then, as if trying to calm her with telling her of what she was really seeing.

He lays down, and her gaze is finally fully drawn from the angry skies, even as his own muzzle points the clouds out. His voice is loud over the thunder, and he gives her more information for what she had no idea what for. He names the anger a Storm, telling her of the rain that falls, the thunder that growls followed by the lightning that echoes across the sky. His voice is soft, even as he admits that the monsters of the sky is a more fun way to put it. She blinks, confused. Wouldn't they still be monsters, even if you call them by their names? Who was fighting who? Was Thunder fighting Lightning? Where did Storm lay in the mix? She paused, and in that quiet moment drew from familiar words she did know. The Blizzards of home, they were merely weather, where the snowstorm could react in violence drawn from the power of the wind and more. 

Perhaps this storm was like that? Just parts of the world? "Why does it all seem so angry?" Her voice was as frail and delicate as a lone fish in a vast expanse of empty water. Alone and scared. So alone and scared. He spoke again, drawing her attention back to him when he stated that he expected the storm to last a while yet. She didn't say anything right away, watching instead when he unfastened the satchels, placing the items at his side.. He speaks suddenly in surprise when he spoke again, asking where she comes from. She pauses, tilting her head before smiling softly, faintly; and its enough to ease her thoughts in the storm, "Yes, I come from the sea - the deep polar points, but I've seen much more than just that area." She stated softly. "The oceans, the sea; it is beautiful as well beneath them. The corals and the fish, the hidden kingdoms lost to the waves." Her smile drops, and she flinches in response to another rolling thunder, before sighing softly and lowering her muzzle to her folded limbs.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Atlaas
Notes:: A little difficult.

Inactive Character

it's hard not to stand in
awe and enchantment

Empathy echoed in my heart for the lost creature and I hoped I was as kind as I needed to be to help her enough through the evidently confusing scenario. “Angry?” I paused, looking to the rain. Mother Nature possessed her own warped emotions that came in rage and grace and sadness. What she felt before she felt it was a mystery and predicting it? Seemingly impossible, though I knew of travellers who had dedicated their lives to working out her obscure ways and I praised them for their work, wishing one day they’d have the answer to tell me. But for now, I could only tell of my own theories. 

“Mother Nature is funny, perhaps she really is angry and this is her outlet,” I paused again, but just for a moment. “Who knew her anger could be so beautiful,” I spoke with a wonder as I stretched a limb out before me and rested my chin, watching the rain as it slammed on the ground sending sprays from the forming puddles. “And who knows what is great enough to anger her herself,” I pondered on the possibilities and hoped that one day, in my life time, all would be answered.

As she spoke of her home my ears sprung forward and I lifted my head, noticeably taking a lot of interest in what she had to say. I smiled warmly and asked more with interest, as well as with the intent of continuing to distract her. “I can’t even begin to imagine – I have only seen coral from the shallows in small doses but I can guess it is incredible down below?” The vibrancy, the colours I adored. What I knew of the ocean summed up was that it was an entirely different world down there, one (like the stars in the sky) I might never have the luxury of exploring.

“Hidden kingdoms?” My ears must have bent forward with my curiosity, but then I chuckle. “I long for wings to fly and fins and gills to swim with, sometimes I feel I will never be satisfied whilst bound to the ground,” My cravings were definitely out of bounds and I accepted that they may never become reality but so long as I could walk I would be happy that I could at least continue my path of exploration on the surface.

ooc: <3

with the beauty in which
nature expresses herself
CREDITS

Dusk Court Battlemage

B e l o w Z e r o
'Til there's nothing left standing, nothing left of yesterday
Every tear-soaked whiskey memory blown away,
They say knowledge over something that scares you can make it seem less terrifying in the moment - but for the Treader, much of the situation with this rainstorm wasn't making enough since to utilize that method of lessening the fear-factor it produced. But, knowing it wasn't a monster ready to drown the earth eased her thoughts a little bit. The storm, even if not an individual seemed so angry to the young dual-nationality creature. She tilted her head when he repeated her question back, his gaze turning to the sky. Bel followed his gazing, hoping for some more insight to this 'storm' he was explaining to her.

And then he named something, personifying it. Mother Nature. Who was this mother nature? Why would this be her outlet? Bel's eyes widened for a moment, staring at the stallion in something akin to nervousness, "M-mother Nature, you say? Is that . . . a person?" Nature, like the earth, "Is she like the Poseidon of the land?" Poseidon, Bel knew little about the concept beyond it was a borrowed term from . . . before. The word for the personification of the oceans, to explain why things would change in them. In the old stories, of the virus that destroyed the planet her people supposed to have come from - Poseidon had grown angry about something and released the Virus to destroy the planet. Was this Mother Nature like that - did that mean she might one day destroy this land as well?

The stallion continued to speak, suggesting that no one might know what is great enough to anger this Mother Nature. Did she need to even have a reason to be angry though? If she were meant to be a powerful being - did she need excuses to let emotions run wild? The stallion then turned the subject and Bel quickly claimed it and spoke of where she came from, of the ocean depths. She tilted her head when he spoke of seeing coral in the shallows in small doses, and nodded lightly, a slight smile touching her face before it was wrenched away with a flinch from another bolt of the 'lightning'. "Er, yes . . . it is incredible beneath the waves. Some reefs are filled with colors that stretch further than they eyes can see. And the fish that swim shine with their own vibrant colors. Kind of like the . . . the flowers that can grow in meadows - long expanse of colors of varying degrees and hues. But beneath the waves, they coat everything from the fish and their fins, to the rocks and coral, and the vegetation below..

He questioned her of the hidden kingdoms, adding a desire for wings and fins to see everything there was to see. Bel's smile returned, "There is much that the sea has claimed, forgotten cities and relics of times lost. Once the sea decides it wants something, it pulls it to its' depths. The underwater roads I've trotted are full of aquatic life, it's like another world." Her gaze turned far away, an almost soft smile touching her muzzle, "The elders of my pod however, they say the place our people escaped from had wonders you couldn't even imagine. Creatures off odd designs and colors, plants you'd never believe were real. And at night . . . the world . . . it glowed." And if the elders were to indeed be believed, that place was among the stars, another planet far from this one.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Atlaas
Notes:: Eep! I almost lost this one - I forget to check my main account for tags - feel free to Tag Bel's account directly <3