Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Carnival of Souls

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Reinhart

To hold my tongue except when I try to pray...

Words bubbled from Aspara's pale lips.  N-No thank you. I don't wear such things. They started with a stutter but ended with the confidence of a weathered diplomat. Her refusal of the earring allowed him to ease his offering a bit. The one she held was still hovering close to her, but the hesitation that escaped her lips was obvious. "Ah, well it is only an offer. You needn't agree nor accept anything you don't want to you know." His eyes swirled and danced in the dim light of the lanterns. Reinhart would take the earring back if Aspara truly did not want the pair, even if they would look lovely on her pale frame. He was aware of her scrutiny, and he remained calm beneath her gaze. Reinhart squirmed beneath his skin, her attempt at deciphering his identity had made him uncomfortable. Nothing about being a thief was comfortable. His magic trickled out quicker, with more urgency as his panic rose. His smoothe smile appeared in response to her question, and his tongue took yet another bath in liquid silver. "I would only be so lucky to have met you twice, Aspara. I don't believe we have. Perhaps we have passed each other on the streets but we have never shared a passing word before. It is hard to remain oblivious to the daughter of the Sovereign you know." 

Reinhart lied quickly, it was a believable lie. Her scrutiny faded after a few moments, and the tension in his shoulders dropped. Parts of his body relaxed, some even twitched to show excitement. Reinhart recognized her confusion, her search for an answer. He noticed her resolve shortly after studying him like a piece of fine art. The wolf at her side remained uneasy, but he had never been good with canines. He liked them, admired them even. There was something just too wild about them for Reinhart's liking. Her next question caught him off guard, and a laugh still managed to escape his throat. Do you always talk this much? It was truly a funny thing to ask someone. He tried to appear nervous, his magic ever coiling around Aspara. The oblivious magician. There should have been a dagger hidden in her words, but it failed. Reinhart found this curious. "I uh, have a bit of a nervous habit you see. Plagued me since my childhood really. Sometimes it feels like if I don't fill the silence, well something terrible might happen. Of course, nothing has ever happened, but you never know." The words flowed like honey once more, they were as quick as before.

He watched her throat constrict and tense like a snake. Reinhart was attentive; observant; clever. Our birthday was three days ago. And don't call me a princess. Please. Aspara bared the teeth of her personality at him like a hungry wolf. "Oh, It is too bad that I don't get a chance to wish you a happy birthday on the day of your birth. Happy belated birthday, Aspara. Don't worry there, I won't call you a princess again. It's a formality you know. Mother always said to address the Sovereign's family with a high amount of respect. You didn't question my mother. She was always right, always knew best. Hard to get rid of childhood habits. Very hard." The words sounded just right to him, but he wondered if he was reading their encounter as well as he thought he was. Oh, how his lies sounded as though they were made of gold.

Reinhart took so many stories from the streets. He caught snippets of conversation from strangers passing by to make his lies more believable. Reinhart didn't sound like a noble son. There was no lilt or elegance to the way he spoke. The words were awkwardly syncopated as if the words he that fell from his mouth were wrong. They weren't. Reinhart didn't believe that they were. Are... are you hungry? Aspara caught him off guard again, and his gaze softened slightly. He was not hungry, he had no want of food. He would not turn down free food though. Reinhart thought of the children who truly belonged to the street urchins. They were hungry. Ravenous. Starved. "It would be very hard to turn down an offer from you, Aspara. I could always eat. There are times you don't know when your next meal will be." Reinhart spoke with genuine honesty for the first time in their conversation. He did not let his guard down, he couldn't. A thief couldn't be caught red-handed. He was going to be ready to run on short notice.

"They call me Ezra out here. That's not the name my mama gave me, but it suits me just fine." He whispered to her, his smoldering gaze never left her porcelain face.

Notes: This is going to be so much fun.| Words: 803 | Tags: @Aspara

... try to breathe words out, But I’ve got nothing to say

Messages In This Thread
Carnival of Souls - by Aspara - 01-22-2020, 11:00 PM
RE: Carnival of Souls - by Reinhart - 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM
RE: Carnival of Souls - by Aspara - 01-24-2020, 09:59 PM
RE: Carnival of Souls - by Reinhart - 01-24-2020, 10:30 PM
RE: Carnival of Souls - by Aspara - 02-01-2020, 05:52 PM