Novus
Hello, Guest! Register

OOC  - Year 505 Summer - Spotlight Announcements!

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline inkbone [PM] Posts: 68 — Threads: 0
Signos: 5,640
Administrator

SPOTLIGHT ANNOUNCEMENTS!
All prizes have been distributed!

Congratulate @Sam on winning Member of the Season!

Sam is one of our newer members, but she has quickly become one of the most loved, and active members around the site. She's constantly present and friendly, Elena is consistently one of the most active posters each month if not the most active, and she's helped out staff by writing numerous quests (which were all extremely lovely!) Her presence has been truly enjoyable and we hope she never ever leaves us, because she helps make Novus a wonderful place. <3

Congratulate @Azrael on winning Character of the Season!

Firefly’s writing is breathtaking, and it’s not exception with Az. She balances his mystery with his thoughts and dialogue so well.  We can see him helping to drive activity in the Night Court - he was easily one of the most active characters last season. Reading his threads, it’s so easy to slip into his writing and feel things as he is feeling them, which makes the read 10x more enjoyable. This is a long overdue nomination, and we’re happy to give it to him!

Congratulate @Asterion winning Quote of the Season!

From Summer left us beckoning — "To your question - there are some kinds of happiness that are heavier than sorrow. And sometimes sadness, especially an old sadness, can be covered by joy, or by beauty. Even if you still feel the memory of it."

We love this quote (and let’s be honest, practically any quote from Asterion) because of how raw it feels. Griffin’s writing is always so evocative, but we feel this quote really captures Asterion’s mood and imagery and sets the tone for the entire thread.

Congratulate @Tenebrae and @Elena on winning Pair of the Season!

First off, they were insanely active together this season. Second off, have you actually read them together? Their writing is so tense and wonderfully dramatic, and the two characters balance themselves so well. We’re excited to see what comes next for them (we clearly can’t stop shipping them)!

Congratulate @Ipomoea and @Andras on "I smell the blood" winning Thread of the Season!

This thread was incredibly tense, and it was wonderful to see how Andras and Ipomoea played off of each other in it. Both of them have been harboring a lot of anger during the Delumine poaching plot, and we can see it all coming out in this thread. In it they have to deal with pain and disappointment and all the emotions they don’t want to face, and decide where to go from there. It keep us on the edge of our seats to read!

NOMINATIONS WILL BE OPEN UNTIL 11:59P EST ON 05/27/20!
Spotlight Nominations for Year 505 Summer are now open! We're looking at YOU guys to give us the nominations on who you think would be the best for the following categories:

CHARACTER of the Season
@Dune, who won Character OTS for Year 505 Spring, is not available for nomination!

Current nominations:

@Elena
@Azrael
@Tenebrae
@Anandi

PAIR of the Season
@Morrighan & @Al'Zahra, who won Pair OTS for Year 505 Spring, cannot be nominated!

Current nominations:

@Lucinda & @Anandi
@Tenebrae & @Elena
@Euphrosyne & @Lyr
@Adonai & @Pilate

THREAD of the Season
Thread must have been made or posted in during Year 505 Summer (04/01 - 05/31)!

Current nominations: 

I Smell The Blood
I Dream In Blue
Brunch
Summer Left Us Beckoning
No One Can Hurt You
But So Our Path Is Laid

MEMBER of the Season
@kay, who won Player OTS for Year 505 Spring, isn't available for nomination!

Current nominations: 

@rallidae
@Obsidian
@Sam
@e-cho
@Firefly

QUOTE of the Season
Quote must come from a post made during Year 505 Summer (04/01 - 05/31)!

Current nominations: 

"To your question - there are some kinds of happiness that are heavier than sorrow. And sometimes sadness, especially an old sadness, can be covered by joy, or by beauty. Even if you still feel the memory of it." — @Asterion in summer left us beckoning

"And promptly bursts into tears." — @Lyr in We were staring at the flowered wallpaper

"Move, Monk." — @Moira in Wanted you more

• Winners will receive 100 signos and be highlighted in our Spotlight section!

• The (first) person to nominate a Spotlight winner will also receive 100 signos!

• Post the below form in a reply to this thread, or message staff directly if you'd like to stay anonymous.

• You may nominate for 1, 2, 3, or all categories - and may make multiple nominations per category!

• You can nominate those already listed under current nominations, but be aware that multiple votes won't increase their chances of winning! Please try and suggest someone different, if you're able to!

• We know it's tempting (and many of you deserve the recognition!), but please don't nominate yourself!

• Players/Characters who won the previous season's Spotlights cannot be nominated this time around. This doesn't apply to those who were nominated last time but not chosen. They may be nominated again!

Code:
<center><div style="width:60%; text-align: justify;"><span class="officialheader">Spotlight Nomination!</span>

<b>Which OTS</b>: CHARACTER, PAIR, THREAD, OR MEMBER OF THE SEASON
<b>Show us</b>: TAG THE CHARACTER(s) OR MEMBER VIA @NAME, or <a href="LINK">TO THE THREAD</a>
<b>Reason:</b> TELL US WHY YOU CHOSE WHO/WHAT YOU CHOSE!
</div></center>

Staff will make the final vote and decide which of the nominees for each category is the best fit!

Played by Offline Obsidian [PM] Posts: 139 — Threads: 18
Signos: 310
Night Court Soldier
Male [Him/his/he] // Immortal [Year 500 Summer] // 16.3 hh // Hth: 27 — Atk: 33 — Exp: 51 // Active Magic: Shadow-Forging // Secondary Magic: // Bonded: N/A

I am starting this early because I normally get here too late and others have already nom'd the people I would have. So here I am, getting in there with my first one!

Spotlight Nomination!

Which OTS: Member 
Show us:  @rallidae
Reason: This is an absolute no-brainer for me. Ralli's ability in her writing to be able to capture the life of Novus astounds me. Her posts do not need to be long to read absolutely wonderfully and be FULL of details of life in Novus. She captures the way Novus exists outside our characters. Through her posts you can see how she places her (and our) chars into the already existing life of Novus, rather than Novus revolving around them. She gives the world of Novus life and breath in a way I have seen no one else really be able to capture. Her posts and world building are propelled on by a fearless use of NPCs - from them creating newspaper articles, to what daily life looks like on the streets of each Court. Each detail is inspired by her own creation and the plots of other players that are going on at the same time. It is these fine little details that capture an element of world building that I rarely read in rpg posts and certainly one I struggle to capture myself. I take inspiration from her world-building and I am very thankful to have someone as creative as her writing on Novus. It is a gift to read her words and to consider how Novus is existing outside my own characters and how I can bring that into my own writing. 

Played by Offline syndicate [PM] Posts: 0 — Threads: 0
Signos: 50
OOC Account

Spotlight Nomination!

Which OTS: Character
Show us: @Elena 
Reason: Well, for one, she's been one of the most active character's recently with 25 posts in the last month! On top of that, she has taken Novus by storm not only with her activity but her charming, genuine personality. For me, personally, genuinely "nice/good/honest/sweet" characters can be very difficult to play, but Samm does so beautifully. Frankly, with the world outside of Novus absolutely losing its mind right now, reading Elena is a wholesome and beautiful mental break. 

Which OTS: Quote 
Show us: @Asterion in summer left us beckoning

“To your question - there are some kinds of happiness that are heavier than sorrow. And sometimes sadness, especially an old sadness, can be covered by joy, or by beauty. Even if you still feel the memory of it.”

Reason: One, Asterion is such a lovely character, and I think we can all say that we are glad to have him back on site. This quote, in particular, eloquently captures his return. For one, he is a generation of characters that have largely departed Novus, and he remembers a history that belongs almost entirely to him now. As I read these lines, I seriously got chills at how poignant and profound they are. I've never had someone capture that feeling quite so well! 

Played by Offline Sam [PM] Posts: 226 — Threads: 39
Signos: 385
Dusk Court Champion of Community
Female [She/Her/Hers] // Immortal [Year 498 Summer] // 15.2 hh // Hth: 34 — Atk: 26 — Exp: 74 // Active Magic: Empathy // Secondary Magic: // Bonded: N/A

Spotlight Nomination!

Which OTS: Pair
Show us: @Lucinda @Anandi
Reason: Dang these ladies! What a strong pair and I love just the suspension between them, it makes me eager to read current threads and their threads in the future. I hope there are a lot more interactions between these two.

Show us: @Lyr “And promptly bursts into tears.” in We were staring at the flowered wallpaper
Reason: Call me weird, but I thought about this line wayyyy after I read his post. Such a simple sentence, but haven't we ALL felt like this or have done this? This single, simple sentence is one of the most relatable things I have read.

Show us: @Moira “Move, Monk.” inWanted you more
Reason: Honestly? It was just hilarious, and it show cases Moira's wonderful personality in just two words. 

Which OTS: Thread
Show us: @Ipomoea and @Andras I smell the blood https://novus-rpg.net/showthread.php?tid=4630
Reason: Uhhh...have you read it?

Which OTS: Character
Show us: @Azrael
Reason: Well, first off, his writing is breath taking, and I love reading all of his posts. He is well thought out and it's been fun watching him develop and I am very excited for his companion animal. I also feel like even though I have read his history, and learned about him from posting with him, there is still so much to Azrael for me to learn. Firefly does a great job balance this sense of mystery, magician, and star reader. It is evident that Firefly knows this character well and reading his posts is always a joy. <3

Show us: @Obsidian
Reason: First off, Obsi ALWAYS so warmly greets EVERYONE in the chat. Obsi is always welcoming and is not only inclusive with everyone in posting and plots, but is EAGER to get a chance to have her characters interacting with everyone. Obsi is so supportive and is stern (in the best way possible) about talking negatively about your own writing. Obsi is just an absolutely wonderful player and is a very important piece of Novus.
Edit: Duh, I also forgot to say about how amazing her writing is! Each of her characters has such a unique and beautiful voice and their own special style. I struggle with not making all my characters sound the same, but Obsi does it with ease and I am honestly in awe of her skills.

[Image: ddvotwe-59302ba6-6a81-47bf-9846-30c5a5db...0iFb4PvyXE]

let's light this house on fire
we'll dance in the warmth of its blaze
pixel made by the amazing star

Played by Offline Firefly [PM] Posts: 0 — Threads: 0
Signos: 50
OOC Account

Spotlight Nomination!

Show us: This thread *swoon*
Reason: Beautiful thread, which honestly makes me feel like a creeper for stalking this private moment haha - but it's nice to see the character's develop and fight between their desires and their standards. I am loving stalking these two

Also, I know she's already been nominated, but I second Elena for character OTS - so active, fun to RP with, and she's making the rounds to make everyone feel included (plus, beautiful words!)

Played by Offline sid [PM] Posts: 61 — Threads: 0
Signos: 7,485
Administrator

Going to beef up the current spotlights.

Spotlight Nomination!

Which OTS: COTS
Show us: @Azrael
Reason: He's been super present this season! Firefly writes him extraordinarily well; I've loved seeing him (and Firefly in general tbh) make a comeback! I've been stalking his posts with some of the new members, I think he's really helping drive some of Dusk Court's activity recently which is really great.

Show us: @Tenebrae
Reason: It's like every thread and pair I thought to nominate, included Ten? He's been present all over the place, crazy active and finishing threads faster than I can blink. Another really active character on Novus.

Show us: @Anandi
Reason: I'm actually really surprised she hasn't won this spotlight; Anandi is one of my favorite characters on Novus. This season especially I've loved watching her threads with some of the other kelpies on Novus, the one with Boudika especially is such a fun dynamic.

Which OTS: POTS
Show us: @Tenebrae & @Elena
Reason: They've completed multiple threads this season?! And all of them are so tense and wonderful, with so many highs and lows emotion-wise, I love it.

Which OTS: POTS
Show us: @Euphrosyne & @Lyr
Reason: I know their thread together was started a while back, but half of it has taken place this season. I know it's filled with a lot of heartbreak but I think that's why I love it so much - there are so many beautiful quotes in it that I want to rip out and put in my moodboards. I can feel both characters' emotions so clearly, I think they're both shining here.

Which OTS: TOTS
Show us: brunch
Reason: I've been stalking this thread since Townsen first posted it. I love the weird dynamic between Thana and Willfur, they're such opposites, and yet the thread and the writing is so far from awkward. It's like watching a cat and mouse game, except the cat doesn't want to eat the mouse and the mouse doesn't quite know what to think of the cat.

Which OTS: TOTS
Show us: summer left us beckoning
Reason: I feel like this one is self explanatory but let's just leave it at I love these three characters individually, and putting them together is even better.

Which OTS: MOTS
Show us: @Sam
Reason: Sam has only been here a few months but I feel she's become one of the most loved, active members around the site. She's constantly present and friendly, Elena is consistently one of the most active posters each month if not the most active, and she's helped out staff by writing numerous quests (which were all extremely lovely!)

Which OTS: MOTS
Show us: @e-cho
Reason: Echo has made a comeback lately and it's been so, so nice seeing her around again. She's always so motivating and inspiring in the discord, and seeing her plan out so many Moira threads recently has been exciting.

Played by Offline griffin [PM] Posts: 2 — Threads: 0
Signos: 375

Weeee I've done a terrible job of keeping up with threads I'm not in (and even those) despite how I looked forward to reading more...but here's what I've got!

Spotlight Nomination!

Show us: @Tenebrae and @Elena
Reason: Sid mentioned them already but I just gotta give it a hearty second - each thread is so tense and wonderfully dramatic and their characters balance one another so interestingly.

Show us: @Firefly
Reason: it’s been so good to see her back, and she’s always a welcome face in the chat :) Her activity with all her characters is impressive, and they’re each so distinct (Pan has my heart forever).

Show us: @Obsidian
Reason: like Firefly, Obsi has returned to us after a bit of an absence and I’m so glad <3 she’s also been rocking the posts this month and I’ve loved watching her develop her newer characters, Ten and Sereia, which is no easy feat after having such beloved (and…be-hated?) characters as Raum and Flora.

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 0 — Threads: 0
Signos: 4,440
OOC Account

Spotlight Nomination!
Show us: no one can hurt you
Reason: Hopping on the Elena lovetrain. Elena and Azrael are such an easy read, their personalities and the way they're written by Sam and Firefly is so soft and beautiful. I really really look forward to reading these two more! (let it be known, here and forever, I ship it)

Spotlight Nomination!
Show us: but so our path is laid
Reason: myY HEART. I'm so wildly in love with both these characters, reading them together is absolute perfection.

Spotlight Nomination!
Show us: Adonai and Pilate
Reason: I LIVE for sibling relationships, and this is such a good one!! I know there's only a few posts between them but they are 100% gold

Played by Offline sid [PM] Posts: 61 — Threads: 0
Signos: 7,485
Administrator

CONGRATS to our winners for Year 505 Summer! ♥

Character: @Azrael
Member: @Sam
Pair: @Tenebrae & @Elena
Thread: "I smell the blood" with @Ipomoea and @Andras
Quote: From Asterion in "summer left us beckoing — "To your question - there are some kinds of happiness that are heavier than sorrow. And sometimes sadness, especially an old sadness, can be covered by joy, or by beauty. Even if you still feel the memory of it."