Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - dandelion wine for a year

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Jeanne [PM] Posts: 70 — Threads: 17
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

THE GREEN CANOPY'S NO SEA OR NET, BUT THAT'S ABSOLUTE --
confusion of thickets behind me; before me, open space.

Her smile fades, when I mention that I have to go back, and she asks if I absolutely must, if I like it here so much. I give her a faintly apologetic look, my smile turning solemn at the edges. “My people are relying on me,” I admit. (I haven’t told anyone else about my quest, but I think, somehow, that she is trustworthy) “You see, I am here to find the heir to our kingdom’s throne – without them, I don’t know what we’ll do.” If it were just a matter of royal blood, the stakes might be lower, but, unfortunately, the heir is another issue entirely. The king was plenty healthy, when I left, but who knows how long that will ever last? “I do like it here, though. A lot. I’m sure I’ll find a way to come back and visit, even after I have to return home.” I’m not sure if that consolation is for her sake or for mine.

(It is a consequence of my lives, I think, that I am not used to the concept of permanence. The idea of losing this land forever – with its night sky, and the moon, and the sun, and the stars, and the sea, and all the strange, wonderful outsiders that I’ve encountered – is unlike anything that I have ever encountered before. It is frightening. In a way, it nearly makes me understand why outsiders fear death.

I try not to think about it.)

Maeve tells me about the “gods,” each of which apparently controls a time of the day. (I suppose, then, that they must align with each of the courts.) Their gods are siblings, apparently, with another god – the father – that controls time. Tempus. I try to burn the name into my brain, like Caligo. When she mentions that they fight a lot, I smile, faintly, and I think of my sisters. (My blood-sister, scarcely flesh of my flesh; and then my first sister, owl-feathered and taloned, gone from my reach.) “That sounds like siblings,” I say, with a hint of a laugh. I remember them. I wonder if I will see them again.

She reacts with some predictable confusion, which is much better than the outright horror I expect of outsiders. She asks about being a sword, what it felt like, and I consider, for a moment. “I didn’t. I was just a sword. I didn’t- feel like I do as a horse. I don’t think that I felt anything at all.” A sense of being, at most. Of presence. It didn’t feel like anything, because I was a sword, and swords feel nothing at all. “It wasn’t awful, even though it feels like it should have been, now. It wasn’t quite like a trap, either, because it was what I was supposed to be. Maybe that was why it didn't bother me.” I didn’t feel sad as a sword, or happy, or anything else. I felt movement, in someone else’s grip, weathering, splashes of blood. It was pure sensation. Nothing else. “I think it’s hard to understand if you haven’t been something else before. I mean, it’s even hard for me to understand, now.”

She says that she’s glad I’m me, now, and I grin broadly – and then she asks to be my friend. I blink at her in wide-eyed delight. “I’m very glad to be Nicnevin now, too,” I say, then add, "and I’d love to be your friend! Maybe we can write letters to each other?”

She’d be my very first friend in all of Novus, and, frankly, I can’t imagine a better one.

(I wonder if they write letters here. I wonder how to send them.)

@Maeve || <3 <3 <3 || "the cliff," gregory orr

"Speech!" 

@

EVERYTHING IS RISK, SHE WHISPERED.
if you doubt, it becomes sand trickling through skeletal fingers.

please tag Nic! contact is encouraged, short of violence

Messages In This Thread
dandelion wine for a year - by Nicnevin - 07-22-2020, 11:42 AM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Maeve - 07-25-2020, 08:27 PM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Nicnevin - 07-27-2020, 05:23 PM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Maeve - 08-02-2020, 05:07 PM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Nicnevin - 08-03-2020, 09:22 AM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Maeve - 08-06-2020, 09:06 PM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Nicnevin - 08-09-2020, 02:59 PM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Maeve - 08-22-2020, 09:36 PM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Nicnevin - 08-24-2020, 08:55 PM
RE: dandelion wine for a year - by Maeve - 09-06-2020, 09:44 PM