Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - take the long way home--

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Jeanne [PM] Posts: 70 — Threads: 17
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

STILL, WHAT I WANT IN MY LIFE IS TO BE WILLING TO BE DAZZLED-
to cast aside the weight of facts and maybe even to float a little above this difficult world.

Oh, goodness.

Oh, goodness - there are so many shelves, and so many books, and so many scrolls, and I barely even know where to start looking. I’m so frazzled by the sheer newness of everything that surrounds me that it takes several moments for me to realize that I can almost certainly read the language, because I read the signs on the way in. It isn’t our language, though. I wonder if the priestesses did something to me before I left, but I don’t dwell on it-

Mostly because I am knocked out of my wide-eyed, confused staring by the appearance of a strange man. I turn my head to stare – up, slightly (he is just taller than me) – at him, and I find him blue-grey and charcoal and faintly dappled, in a way that somehow reminds me of this world’s changing skies. (I am only just getting used to them; it makes me want to compare them to everything.) He asks me if I am looking for anything in particular, then adds that it can be difficult to find things if one doesn’t know the system; I certainly don’t know the system.

“Oh – thank you,” I say, earnestly, hushing my voice just as he hushed his. I am always a bit surprised when strangers are so kind to me, but, so far, this strange, new world has been full of them. I thought that most outsiders were frightening; after all, most of the time, when I met them, it was in battle, smeared with ash and blood. I suppose that things are different now. Maybe they have never been awful, all this time, and I only saw a few of them – or maybe they just don’t know enough about me or about the Gold to want to be awful, yet.

It doesn’t much matter. For now, the stranger is kind, and he has offered to help me. (And I am in rather desperate need of help.) “Do you know where they might have…maps?” I incline my head at him curiously, tugging at my chestnut bangs to keep the gesture from knocking them into my eyes. “I’m rather new to Novus, and I’d like to know more about the landscape.” Before I start searching for the heir, I mean, but I don’t bother saying that – it isn’t as though he’d know what I was talking about anyways.

(I am trying very hard not to think about how nobody in this entire world would know about it, if I told them, and how the heir might not even know who they are – how impossible it seems to find them. I am trying very hard not to think about it, but the part of me that was a knight keeps knocking at the back of my mind, eyes narrowed in disapproval, and telling me to hurry.)

@Liatris || <3 || "nocturne," cesare pavese

"Speech!" 

@

EVERYTHING IS RISK, SHE WHISPERED.
if you doubt, it becomes sand trickling through skeletal fingers.

please tag Nic! contact is encouraged, short of violence

Messages In This Thread
take the long way home-- - by Nicnevin - 07-31-2020, 10:01 PM
RE: take the long way home-- - by Liatris - 08-09-2020, 07:36 PM
RE: take the long way home-- - by Nicnevin - 08-16-2020, 07:24 PM
RE: take the long way home-- - by Liatris - 09-20-2020, 05:44 PM
RE: take the long way home-- - by Nicnevin - 09-21-2020, 12:01 PM