Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - made of sand (SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS)

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Vendetta

You sit and stay, I don't obey
Where do we land in the Black Sea
I am not in my bed, nor my office or even my home, on the night that Orestes leaves, though I cannot know it is that night. I walk the sand covered streets of Solterra that I know like I know the stitching of my red chiffon skirt. Shadows move over me like a breeze or a caress. I am black and white and red on gold, muted and silvered by the night and the moon. I am silent, and hard-edged, and every step I make is a step of purpose. There are deals to be closed, even when we are being abandoned. Even when our dear King is absent.

So yes, I am out of bed when the desert begins to wail. I can feel it in my bones, the same way I can feel the building pressure of a sandstorm in the distance. I am the desert, it is as much a part of me as me a part of it after all these years. When it cries, I hear it.

When it is still calling out a week after that I can no longer ignore the sound. There are buzzards in the sky like a black cloud. There snakes in the water like poison, and dingos in the streets like a warning. And then the sands blow in, in the way that they do, but something is not right. Come to the desert, the sands say.

As the sun rises into the sky and chases away the nighttime chill, I am busy following its voice. I am busy watching the way it rises and falls like a golden, glittering sea, and going the way its waves tell me to go. I have left Azrail at home, I have left my work at home. Now, it is only my eyes like blood, my horns like blood—all of me like blood—and the Mors anger.

I don’t know what I’m going to find, but I know what the desert wants now; what Solterra wants. Is she as tired of being abandoned as we are? Tired of empty violence followed by empty promises. How many more times will they be disappointed, either by someone who wishes to destroy them or someone who claims to have their best intentions at heart but never follows through? I am sick of it.

Sick of these men who play at war and who play at king. They did not know what it meant to lead, what it meant to rule. It was not a surprise to find the newest had disappeared, especially after beginning relations with the sovereign of another court. Leaving a hole in our regime, and in our defenses. Leaving a hole in the throne.

I remember standing before both Orestes and Raum when they had taken the mantle of Sovereign upon themselves, as they stood on those famed steps above the court and spoke down to us. They had very different approaches, and yet somehow both outcomes were the same. This, I too will remember.

And Solterra?

The desert is not forgiving. She remembers, and consumes, and drives all to madness if given the chance. She is harsh, and vast, and home. We are the ones who have proven time and time again that we can survive no matter what. We are the ones who push through, and continue on, despite everything. The one thing I do wonder, is if the desert regrets. Does she regret her choice?

When I arrive at the place where the pedestal is risen out of the sands and presenting the small sun to all who dare approach it, I know something needs to change this time. Its light is not steady, it pulses, and thrums, and it feels like my heart is there, in that sun, on that plinth.

I am the diamond that has risen from the pressured sands. I am sharp, and gleaming, and oh so brilliant. Solterra has made me into what I have become, and now it is time to do what could not be done by others. In the past, I have stood back and bided my time but now I will take the things that I want and deserve. It is time for someone who knows how to prevail in the face of adversity—who knows how to rise above and make something out of nothing—to take the throne. It is time to get a Queen back in Solterra.

"Speaking."

About the RPer

Thanks for auditioning! Let's start with your name.
Katherine

Great! How old are you?

Have you ever held a Position of Power before?
Yes, you would be aware of this but I did just leave a Sovereign position, and am looking forward to this opportunity. What I enjoy most about these positions is the ability to bring something new and creative to the position, and to have a real effect on the direction a group can go in. This can also be part of the struggle, because as being responsible for the major decisions that can affect everyone it can be hard to please everyone, and that is often a real desire of someone in a position of power. There is a balance to be had, for sure.

Have you read the Sovereign Rules?
Yes

What aspect of Novus are you most excited about?
As someone who isn't new to the site I can never rave enough about the community that Novus has created. It's a second home to me, and even when I feel down or like I should take a break it's almost impossible for me to stay away. If I'm not around I genuinely miss everyone (and miss out on everything), and just want to be here, 24/7. I think that says a lot about the kind of site that Novus is.

Sovereign Questions

Why would your character be a good candidate to lead Solterra?
Vendetta came from nothing and quite literally fought her way to where she is in current Solterran society. She is fierce and unforgiving like the desert sands but very loyal to those who are important to her. Although she seems as remorseless as one of Solterra's creatures, she has real principles and incredible savvy, and would be able to maneuver the difficult terrain of the court's relationship with the rest of Novus just like how she maneuvers the desert and business. She is willing to go for what she wants, and do what is necessary for what she believes in.

What would be their goals as Sovereign? What would they do with their new power?
I laid out the ground work for several events that I plan to hopefully cater to each of the different populace ranks, in the hopes that we would see some increase in the less popular ranks that Solterra has. I would definitely like to incentivize those ranks, as Vendetta would love to move Solterra out of the old age of a warrior-only state. That being said, I would love to do bi-seasonal Colosseum sign-ups for our soldiers who would like to get help planning battles for exp. I'd also like to do more with Vendetta's Scorpions if she were to become Sovereign. Re-establish that they are available and there are adopts, get more going with inter-court intelligence. Nothing wrong with a little espionage, right? Plus some other plot devices and potential adopts.

You've got us convinced. Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Thank you for this opportunity! I feel like my motivation has been reinvigorated recently and I look forward to seeing the outcome of these auditions. It's nice to possibly have a purpose for a character I was afraid I might never play again, and even if this doesn't work out I might bring her back anyway.

Messages In This Thread
RE: made of sand (SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS) - by Illo - 11-18-2020, 11:01 PM
RE: made of sand (SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS) - by Vendetta - 11-21-2020, 05:24 PM
RE: made of sand (SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS) - by Warbird - 12-04-2020, 11:09 PM